Author Topic: Anybody running the 4x Innovations HD crossmember mount?  (Read 4930 times)

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
Anybody running the 4x Innovations HD crossmember mount?
« on: Feb 27, 2009, 02:36:07 PM »
I just ordered one from Marlin along with some HD front axle seals  :beerchug:

I've been playing with fire for 2 years now.  I'm running an older All-Pro t-case crossmember (that I got for cheap several years ago) that only utilizes one t-case mount rather than 2.  I've also been running a stock t-case mount and a dual ultimate crawler setup.  I've got my motor mounted chained but still get quite a bit of driveline movement from the torque of the dual cases.  I'm pretty sure the 4x Innovations HD crossmember mount will help.
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!

Volcom [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
Should be delivered today! 
84 4Runner
Marlin high steer
TG springs
109" wheelbase

Addicted Off Road

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
jon82toy is running one :thumbs: I really like them but I don't use this type of mount on my truck

http://marlincrawler.com/transfer-case/parts-upgrade/crossmember-mount-hd

Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Volcom [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
Got my Marlin package yesterday but was sad to see a stock OEM mount in the box rather than the 4x Innovations mount.  I PM'ed Andrew Butler in the Customer Support Board section about my order.
84 4Runner
Marlin high steer
TG springs
109" wheelbase

Addicted Off Road

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
Got my Marlin package yesterday but was sad to see a stock OEM mount in the box rather than the 4x Innovations mount.  I PM'ed Andrew Butler in the Customer Support Board section about my order.

Sounds like you got more than you paid for...
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

Volcom [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
Sounds like you got more than you paid for...

I did but I really want the 4x Innovations mount :)  Jon called me this afternoon and is taking care of the problem!
84 4Runner
Marlin high steer
TG springs
109" wheelbase

Addicted Off Road

Toy1

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 86
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Mounted mine last Friday,but it came of twice as fast :thumbdown:
I understand that it is a HD mount,but there has to be something between the oem and this one.
Way too stiff bushings,everything inside and outside vibrated at idle,and it went worse as the rpm went higher.
So for a DD it is no no for me :shake:,softer bushings would maybe fix the problem :dunno:

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
I do and I love it!  :thumbs:

I'm running the LC poly (black 62 durometer) engine mounts,
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb53/Wermz/WermzCrawl/EngBld1/EngBld-51.jpg
 dual cases with 7's in the rear and a budbuilt mount.   Stock X-member mount in the front and the 4x4 Innovations in the rear position.

Been in for 3 months now and 3 wheeling trips, rock solid.

A little more vibration on warm up in the morning, and a little bit from a standstill start.  Other than that it is smooth as glass at Highway speeds, and very nice in 4 LO Lo!

:twocents:
I like to Drive!

Joey88RUNR

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 1,057
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
Im thinking about this mount, one of my mounts is ripped off on one side,im worried about the vibrations though.
SaS'd Dual ultimate crawler w/5.29s Aussie front/detriot Rear, 35's Mtr's with kevlar

Twisted

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 141
  • Male Posts: 287
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
Mounted mine last Friday,but it came of twice as fast :thumbdown:
I understand that it is a HD mount,but there has to be something between the oem and this one.
Way too stiff bushings,everything inside and outside vibrated at idle,and it went worse as the rpm went higher.
So for a DD it is no no for me :shake:,softer bushings would maybe fix the problem :dunno:

After reading this I thought that someone may benefit from what I did to my factory t-case mount.  Don't know if its been done before but I got my motivation from seeing guys bolt there motor mounts together. 

It works pretty well, not super stiff up does help some and keeps you from breaking them( or fixing broken ones :thumbs: )

toyotanner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 66
  • Male Posts: 1,958
  • Member since Oct '07
  • low n slow
    • View Profile
thats a pretty nifty trick.
i have 1 of the 4x innovations mounts and is working great for me... i have it set up with duals with a stock crossmember only running the 1 mount and its held up well so far... i'm just waiting to get the $ for the budbuilt xmember so i can run a stock mount and the 4xinnovations 1 and it should work great :thumbs:

Toy1

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 86
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Mine is a Diesel truck,so maybe the vibrations are worse than on a gasoline truck :dunno:

-Matt-

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -184
  • Male Posts: 1,010
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Full throttle Rollin steady
    • View Profile
i love my 4x innovations mount except for the welds that hold the tubing on are :pokinit:. mine broke a month ago from giving someone a pretty decent pull. i admit i was being hard on it and its been through many wheelin trips, but if it were welded right it wouldn't have broke. it broke right at the toes of the weld were there was major undercut, the welds are also extremely small, there technically thick enough to be sound but the way they are laid in there isnt sufficient since its really tight flared butt joint, the weld has to be a decent size to get rid of the sharp edge and undercut. wasn't hard to fix, but just a pain in the ass couse i had to take it out. i just clamped it back to the original position and then laid a new bead over it. while i had it out i went ahead and did the other spots on it because they also had major undercut. so far its been fine. havent been on to many trips since then but im pretty sure it will be good to go now. heres some pics i took of were it broke, hard to see since there just cell phone pics but its all i have.

heres the other side

heres after the fix

Redbeard1

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 54
  • Male Posts: 414
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
    • Project Pete
that
i love my 4x innovations mount except for the welds that hold the tubing on are :pokinit:. mine broke a month ago from giving someone a pretty decent pull. i admit i was being hard on it and its been through many wheelin trips, but if it were welded right it wouldn't have broke. it broke right at the toes of the weld were there was major undercut, the welds are also extremely small, there technically thick enough to be sound but the way they are laid in there isnt sufficient since its really tight flared butt joint, the weld has to be a decent size to get rid of the sharp edge and undercut. wasn't hard to fix, but just a pain in the ass couse i had to take it out. i just clamped it back to the original position and then laid a new bead over it. while i had it out i went ahead and did the other spots on it because they also had major undercut. so far its been fine. havent been on to many trips since then but im pretty sure it will be good to go now. heres some pics i took of were it broke, hard to see since there just cell phone pics but its all i have.

that dosent look like a weld failure to me sense the weld is still intact it looks like the temper of the metal in the tube was changed by the heat from the weld. being that the weld bed is concaved on the "factory" weld I would say that they ran it a little on the hot side for the material that they were welding on. Simple fix for that would be to add a small gusset from the upper plate to the tubing that the bushing goes through tieing it in to the tubing just below the horizontal center line of the tube and below the mounting area for the bolts that thread in to the t-case.
If you dont stand behind our Troops... you can stand infront of them...
Project Pete==> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=43370.0
85 Toy: Built 22re, locked F, spooled R, 5.29's, R151F, MCO7 duals, Sky x-member 37 MT/R's on jack stands  

RIP Bobby Long

YodaKrawler

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 40
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
You know trail geag has some to with different style of bushings may be they used rubber on theres they are in the crossmember section
1990 toy ExCab on 42" w/ BeadLocks
22re 60 front w/ arb 70 rear welded 6.17 gears
full hydro steer with Cooler
Dual T-Cases w/ Home Brew Triple Shifters
35 Spline Outers w/ ATOR front drive flanges
Half Doors - exo cage in the Works

#1 JackDaniels Inspired Gettin It

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
You know trail geag has some to with different style of bushings may be they used rubber on theres they are in the crossmember section

You know trail geag has copied every other innovative product in this market with no regard to intellectual property or moral regard to the small hobbyist people perhaps much like yourself who work so hard and put up all their life savings at building their dreams only to see them get taken with no permission or finical reimbursement.

Thanks.
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
You know trail geag has copied every other innovative product in this market with no regard to intellectual property or moral regard to the small hobbyist people perhaps much like yourself who work so hard and put up all their life savings at building their dreams only to see them get taken with no permission or finical reimbursement.

Thanks.

:werd:    X
I like to Drive!

toyotanner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 66
  • Male Posts: 1,958
  • Member since Oct '07
  • low n slow
    • View Profile

Thanks.

I WAS SOOO GOING TO SAY THAT BUT I DIDNT WANT TO BASH ABOUT TRAIL GEAR ON THE MARLIN BOARD

traxman25

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Male Posts: 2
  • Member since Apr '09
  • 4x Innovations
    • View Profile
    • 4x Innovations
Matt,

I wish you would have called me when you broke your mount so we could discuss how it happened and fix the issue for you...

Thanks.

Couldn't have said it better.
4x Innovations - Adam

-Matt-

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -184
  • Male Posts: 1,010
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Full throttle Rollin steady
    • View Profile
Matt,

I wish you would have called me when you broke your mount so we could discuss how it happened and fix the issue for you...

Couldn't have said it better.

Traxman, im still pleased with my mount and 4x innovations, it was so easy to fix that it wasn't even worth bothering anyone over it, im not one of those people to try and make a big deal about getting a warranty. if i can fix it then ill do it myself. like i said i was being really hard on it so it wasn't like it broke out of know where. the design is great and the bends were dead on. for future ones, the only thing i feel needs more work are the welds. and for all i know it i might have just gotten one that had a random defect because i haven't heard of anyone else having that problem. either way, whether people believe it was the physical weld or not, it was related to welding the 2 pieces together because it broke right at the toe of the weld. i bought the mount before any other companies had them out and couldn't have been more pleased with the design and the upgrade. its all a leaning experience so i figure someone will get some positive feedback about how it broke.