Author Topic: 1st gen "Super-Cab" Mod...COMPLETE...kinda...  (Read 42202 times)

82juguete

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
1st gen "Super-Cab" Mod...COMPLETE...kinda...
« on: Feb 08, 2009, 06:52:10 PM »
I am closer than ever to creating the cab space i need in my 82 pickup, and am finding a lot of expired, non-existant websites of these kinds of buildups.  So i am hoping there are some archived pics or fresh buildup threads out there.  I am leaning toward Johnny of Wildyoats build of his 81, but like i said, none of the pictures will show, and ive tried emailing him for more pics.  I know there are a few others out there on pirate and such, but nothing too in depth.  I want to use a 1st gen donor cab, and not graft on a later gen xcab window like 4rnrRick.  Heres what im thinking...any contributions would be appreciated.

« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2010, 09:05:36 PM by 82juguete »

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
As you can see, all the examples retain the bedsides where the extracab portion is... I am likely going this route, as grafting on the entire back half of cab would require extensive fabricating to accomodate the framerails, relocating gas tank, filling the door area, making new mounts for the cab extension and bed, shortening the bed, etc. etc.  This is more what the Extend-a-toy project involves, and i dont think im quite up for that.... im really just looking for opinions, and feedback from anyone who has done something like this...

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Thanks..thats the Extend-a-toy project i mentioned, and I have studied it well... but its also the more involved of the two methods and is WAY more work than im willing to do right now... i like the idea of keeping the bedsides as the cabsides, but am curious about cab flex, etc. since it would involve unifying the bed and cab...

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
look into the wolverine or trecker conversions

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
I do wish that i wouldve started with a trekker sometimes.... but what im after is some secure, lockable storage room that is accesible from the cab, yet i want to maintain some open bed space.  Since i am pretty capable when it comes to fab work, I dont mind going the custom route, and would rather not just do a camper type setup or an expensive trekker conversion.  Thanks for your input though, I have pondered these options...

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
This is mine.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

ninja turtle

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 38
  • Male Posts: 1,072
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
heres one of the first truck

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
so you arent going to be making a new bulkhead? just put a camper shell on it, or see if you can find one of those old camper shell covers and hack it up....

i would go the route of the extend a tay... otehrwise the back of the cab, is still the back of the cab, and you are essentially adding a roof over part of the bed
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Its walk-thru though.... the original back of the cab is cut out, so i will be gaining essentially a backseat that is the height of the bedfloor...which is necesarry to clear the gas tank anyway.  My plan does include installing some plexi or lexan windows so that it is indeed a secure, sealed extension to the original cab...much different than just a camper or can-back or something...

Oh and NO IDEA, thanks for the pic... any clue what happened to all the rest of them???

ninja turtle

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 38
  • Male Posts: 1,072
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
nope, no-idea. ive had that pic on my puter for years.

LilChief87

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 917
  • Member since Jul '08
  • When in doubt Romp it out
    • View Profile
i like that green toyota looks good and definitely different

Yoat Goat

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 37
  • Male Posts: 731
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Someday my truck will look like this
    • View Profile
I love that wildyoats truck!
T urning
O ver after
Y ears
O f
T rail
A buse

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
If I were doing this, I think I'd use the donor cab roof and back wall as one piece, and cut the back piece so it wedges into the bed as tightly as possible.  with the tight fit, and the welding of the new section to the old cab, and to the bedsides, I would think it would stabilize it pretty well. 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Me too....thats why its such a shame that the whole buildup site is no longer functioning....also the wildyoats forum wouldnt let me register so i could PM johnny... Seems like the whole site is slowly shutting down or something :dunno:

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
oh and blackdog...thats exactly what he did and what i plan on doing... the back of the cab extends to the bedfloor and is welded to the bedsides, and floor.  He even moved the old forward bedwall back behind the "new" cab section for a completed look...

offroadin88

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
are you just looking for added lockable storage or are you thinking of putting seats back there? id love to add some seats even if it ment a bunch of fab and moving the tank. I say get on it and just start but make sure you do a build thread that works so we all benifit.

591fab

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
wow way cool

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
im considering the option of maybe 1 seat back there...but i know its gonna be tight space wise.  a small jump-seat is about all i suspect will work.  Regardless, having that area for storage will ensure at least a clutter-free environment for a passenger up front.  Im pretty set on this so hopefully ill be starting a build thread either springbreak time or early summer...already got a donor cab lined up, oh and johnny the owner of the green truck got back to me and said hes working on getting the site back up.. :beerchug:

fj-rankenstein

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Jan '05
  • my yard looks like toyota circa 1980
    • View Profile
 i too have looked quite extensively at the green wild yotes buildup as well as actual first gen double cab trucks and although i really liked the end product of the wild yotes truck i neither had a clean bed to work with nor was the overall project as perhaps as clean as what i ws doing with my buildup..he has a terrific idea, but i just wanted to improve on what was there..  something i would love to see someone do from my buildup.. :thumbs:

The extend-a-toy project could have been done a lot easier from the get-go if thats any encouragement...  i think if you chose to not make it quite as long you would be better off and the whole thing would work out a little better anyways... i just wanted to see how long i could build a 1st gen and incorperate a full size later model runner sunroof and such.. and i was too cheap to go and buy a extended cab toyota.. ;)
 if you got another cab and cut it perhaps about 4 inches back from the top of the windshield and grafted that onto the back of your truck it would still give you an ok extracab to play with.. almost an extra 2 feet of length on the entire body anyways....

i wouldnt be too intimidated about all the work that went into extend-a-toy and the work to be done yet...  although there is tons of it, you wouldnt have to cut out the rockers and make a whole new floor if only grafting on a smaller version of what i have done.... you will have to make a "fill in " piece for both the floor and roof but nothing too bad at all...
 i would love to see someone also try an "extended toy" like something that i am doing..  perhaps they would have a few different ideas and that might give me ideas for the next one :thumbs:
the never ending build...
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=12165.0;highlight=extend-a-toy

Was searching for something and came across this old jew. BUMP to a classic thread :thumbs:

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
I too just cant afford to go buy a runner or something and start over...even if i swapped my stuff over, i just cant bring myself to undo all the work ive done...plus i love the look of first gens!  So with that, I am going to make what I have work, one way or another...  What would really be awesome is a new-zealand style 4door pickup or something.  That, i know exceeds my patience, time-frame, and ability with not having an actual shop to work in... we'll see what i decide...

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Ill bump this up...I have a motor rebuild to work on as a priority now so this idea will have to wait til summer at the soonest.  Anyone come across any more pictures of similar "conversions"?  I would especially appreciate some pics of the interior, even of a trekker or trailblazer...mainly to see how the difference in floor height between the cab and bed is dealt with. 

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Got to see a first gen with a walk-thru cab in person finally... Given, they didnt graft on the donor cab extension, it was still inspiring.  my motor is about ready to fire, and then we'll see if i can crank this out soon!   :crossed:

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Ok so what started as some basic cleaning ended up with me cutting off my rollcage, removing my toolbox and cleaning out my bed....

What i ended up with was a solid starting point for getting this thing underway... i even have a donor cab lined up, ready to cut.  Only problem is im moving out around the 22nd....

Not sure if now is the right time to start this, even though i have thought out basically all the angles on this.  Looking at both my truck and the cab yesterday it really didnt seem all that difficult, i just know the bodywork will take some time to get right.

So.... should i wait (not sure when the next chance to work on it might be) or should i dive in and try to get it knocked out next week??

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
I'll be keeping tabs on this build that's fer sher! I'm too chicken to try this eventhough I would just  :yikes: to do it. Just a word of advise though. You may have it all thought out but there is allways, allways going to be something we/you didn't think about. If I were you, I would wait till your settled in from your move and get all over it like a spider monkey on Mountain Dew! :ha_ha:
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Wait.  Take the time and do it right the first time.
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

jonathan82toy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 502
  • Member since Mar '07
  • 1St Gens Rule!
    • View Profile
I plan on doing a walk-thru on mine. I just need more leg room. As for the top, I will be doing a short bed shell, like BigBs84 did.  Take lots of pics   :disturbed:
What Is The Truth Behind The Magic Turtle Breeding Program?

S.S. More Powerful Than Superman, Batman, Spiderman And The Incredible Hulk Put Together.

toyota_smasher

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 21
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
Here are some pics of a crew cab.

Runner- sas,locked front/rear,5.29s,dual cases,30 spline Longfeilds,36in swampers on beadlocks,Much more

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Hey i know all about planning for the unexpected... shoot, with this truck i make sure i have a few days off to do every little thing haha.  but the thing is i am moving to an apartment in San Luis Obispo sooooooo... i cant work on my truck AT ALL until i come home.  I foresee major withdrawals FOR SURE..

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Sweet pics smasher....  I would definitely go that route if i was starting with a "ground up" build.  Being my daily driver though, I cant afford to have it down for the amount of time that fabwork would take...

I dont know, maybe ill try to do it that way afterall.... 4 doors would be SWEET.