Author Topic: Hydro assist on the cheap  (Read 307202 times)

loacyota

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
Re: Hydro assist on the cheap
« Reply #360 on: Feb 20, 2010, 03:25:52 PM »
Personally, this was the worst way i have ever spent money on my truck. I ordered all the parts in the list, except i got a trail gear pump instead of drilling the stock one out. i made a bigger Reservoir out of 2 stock ones, and added a cooler. The diameter of the opening for stock reservoir is not big enough to supply enough fluid for the setup. so i upgraded to a psc one. the ram described in the parts list is way to slow, the type of 90 degree fittings are very weak and break at the swivel nut(i have replaced many on the trail in a 3 day trip, clearance marks in the pan leads to this...) and the ram bent when my tire was wedged in a rock. I just got the psc ram and it is a way better part. more responsive and powerful.

with the new setup, i had all the pieces disconnected, put back together without pre-filling. filled it up, turned wheels couple of times, started it up and it bled all the air out in minutes...

diont waste money on this, just save up and do it the right way, or else you will be pissed off later like i was. way happier with the good stuff.

854RUN

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 30
  • Male Posts: 890
  • Member since Mar '06
  • 4WHEEL 4EVER
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: Feb 21, 2010, 08:03:56 AM »
Personally, this was the worst way i have ever spent money on my truck. I ordered all the parts in the list, except i got a trail gear pump instead of drilling the stock one out. i made a bigger Reservoir out of 2 stock ones, and added a cooler. The diameter of the opening for stock reservoir is not big enough to supply enough fluid for the setup. so i upgraded to a psc one. the ram described in the parts list is way to slow, the type of 90 degree fittings are very weak and break at the swivel nut(i have replaced many on the trail in a 3 day trip, clearance marks in the pan leads to this...) and the ram bent when my tire was wedged in a rock. I just got the psc ram and it is a way better part. more responsive and powerful.

with the new setup, i had all the pieces disconnected, put back together without pre-filling. filled it up, turned wheels couple of times, started it up and it bled all the air out in minutes...

diont waste money on this, just save up and do it the right way, or else you will be pissed off later like i was. way happier with the good stuff.

wow suck you had problems but sounds like your the only one so far. i never had any thing happen like you talked about. I used the stock ress and a small cooler and my junk moved as fast as i could move the wheel and I never broke any fitting.
1985 4RUNNER (rip) http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54940.0

1997 T100, 4.88, DUAL T-CASE, R151, lockright in the rear, Alcan springs, 37"S, Bobbed 15", 3.4L TRD Supercharger, JBL headers 
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35174.0

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimmy Hendrix

-JOSH-

wakkjobb

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -18
  • Male Posts: 1,590
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Back at it after 5 years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: Feb 23, 2010, 09:09:32 PM »
I've read this a few times and I know to drill the restrictor out to 13/64"... took mine out and it's already bigger than 13/64"? Is this bad or not horrible for hydro? I'm guessing it's okay and will flow more fluid...  :dunno: It's not much bigger than 13/64; maybe 15/64?

>>Dan
ASE certified shadetree mechanic and spoon operator
IronClad: If I wanted to hold hands and be nice I'd become a hippie.
85 4Runner, duals, 38s, 5.29s, locked, 3.4 swapped, GranVille Edition

swapped89

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 270
  • Male Posts: 1,221
  • Member since Aug '09
  • Not all who wander...are lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: Feb 24, 2010, 03:42:06 AM »
wow suck you had problems but sounds like your the only one so far. i never had any thing happen like you talked about. I used the stock ress and a small cooler and my junk moved as fast as i could move the wheel and I never broke any fitting.
you didnt need to make yer res. bigger. Just stock size and an oil cooler was enough to keep the pump fro squeelin!? i like the sound of that.
SAS 89 p/u 3.0 5speed, bobbed, locked, ready to play in the rocks. or wherever the pavement ends :)
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61345.0 

a wise man listens and observes more so than he opens his mouth.. and when he does it is valuable information....   (twistedtoy92)

854RUN

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Mar '06
  • 4WHEEL 4EVER
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: Feb 24, 2010, 07:51:04 AM »
I've read this a few times and I know to drill the restrictor out to 13/64"... took mine out and it's already bigger than 13/64"? Is this bad or not horrible for hydro? I'm guessing it's okay and will flow more fluid...  :dunno: It's not much bigger than 13/64; maybe 15/64?

>>Dan

try it if that dose not work i think i have a spar pump and we can swap the restrictors.

you didnt need to make yer res. bigger. Just stock size and an oil cooler was enough to keep the pump fro squeelin!? i like the sound of that.

you bet, stock res. and a small tranny cooler and i never had an issue with it, no squeelin.

1997 T100, 4.88, DUAL T-CASE, R151, lockright in the rear, Alcan springs, 37"S, Bobbed 15", 3.4L TRD Supercharger, JBL headers 

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimmy Hendrix

-JOSH-

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 296
  • Male Posts: 2,526
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: Feb 24, 2010, 10:07:05 AM »
you think it would just flow better with the larger hole.
i love oregon wheelin.

854RUN

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Mar '06
  • 4WHEEL 4EVER
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: Feb 24, 2010, 12:51:14 PM »
you think it would just flow better with the larger hole.

It might not allow time for the fluid to cool

-JOSH-

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 97
  • Male Posts: 1,095
  • Member since May '04
  • From Reykjavik Iceland...
    • View Profile
    • R&T
« Reply #367 on: Mar 21, 2010, 02:33:16 AM »

dit you do anything with the pump?
4runner body on a hilux frame = Hi-Runner.
 2,4 dti duals 2,28 x 2,28 to 8" 5.71 with arbīs  and 39,5" trxus
gathering parts for my goal which is
350 Chevy 700r4 auto to 2.28 x 4.70  and 4.88 9,5" cruisers diffs,diamondaxles and cable lockers, 44" richard cepecs

swapped89

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: Mar 21, 2010, 02:53:58 AM »
Bazzi... Why just a quote and no words of your own?

"Wakkjob" my restrictor is about 15/64" also. Except in the middle it has a screen with two very little holes. I drilled it out to 13/64". Just got a bleed it tomorrow and I'll let ya know how it goes. I have a pretty big oil cooler and stock res. I'll let ya all know how that goes too. (with the squealing and what not)
SAS 89 p/u 3.0 5speed, bobbed, locked, ready to play in the rocks. or wherever the pavement ends :)

a wise man listens and observes more so than he opens his mouth.. and when he does it is valuable information....   (twistedtoy92)

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
    • R&T
« Reply #369 on: Mar 21, 2010, 03:14:49 AM »
huh thatīs wierd. I typed somewhere....

I was asking him what he dit to modify the pump or dit he modify the pump at all, cause if ditnīt  :hammerhead:
on a second thought why ditnīt you just mount the ram so it wouldnīt hit the oil pan.... and so on....
350 Chevy 700r4 auto to 2.28 x 4.70  and 4.88 9,5" cruisers diffs,diamondaxles and cable lockers, 44" richard cepecs

swapped89

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: Mar 21, 2010, 03:30:14 AM »
I did mount the ram so it wouldnt hit the oil pan :therethere:  I have a 3.o not a 4 cylinder the oil pans are different. I was doin the "hydro assist on the cheap" and didnt want to pay another hunderd and somethin dollars to do the oil pan swap. So i mounted my ram here, and Im gonna bend a hoop and weld it to the axle below the ram for protection. :gap:

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
    • R&T
« Reply #371 on: Mar 21, 2010, 03:58:55 AM »
is it possible the housing hangs in the lines in full axle drop. I donīt have a clue about the parts listed, I bought parts off the shelf to fit my application.  I was only suggesting that you change the way you mount the  ram, cause I thought you wrote it was scratshing your pan.... I must have mixed up threats or something...

well my  :twocents:have you modified the power steering pump, and I also removed some restrictions in the box,

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
    • R&T
« Reply #372 on: Mar 21, 2010, 04:05:18 AM »
I just  figured out I was misunderstnding you from the werry beginning. I thought you got a tappered box from trail gear, but you said you have a TG pump. If the steering is weak and moving slowly from with that setup, and it isnīt whineing, I would check the power outled of the pump, how big is it is the restriction in there, to me it sounds like the pump isnīt giving out enaugh juce or the cylinder in the ram is to big(wide) for the pump...
all of this is a litle bit hard to trouble shoot over the internet. Itīs all guesses but might help you out

with best regards Bæring

swapped89

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: Mar 21, 2010, 05:25:32 PM »
Ok guys so I have been tryin to bleed my system for hours. I'm sure the system is bled of all air. The ram moves when the wheel is turned and the engine is off. But when I turn the engine on the ram does not move when I turn the wheel.  :-\

swapped89

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: Mar 21, 2010, 05:33:19 PM »
P.s. Does any one have astock restrictor for a 3.0 pump?

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
    • R&T
« Reply #375 on: Mar 21, 2010, 05:56:08 PM »
is it bolted to the housing?  if you disconnect the steering box and have the ram bolted up, the ram should move the wheels but you will have 2 move the steering to it stop, or at least thatīs how it works for me, the ram kinda kicks in when the box gets some restriction kinda like a turbo, hope you get what I am saying

swapped89

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: Mar 21, 2010, 06:08:39 PM »
Ya I get what yer sayin. Makes sense. I still gotta get another restrictor though. I think I drilled mine out to big. I used the 13/64 drill bit but the restrictor allready had two little holes so after I drilled the holes out it's now a little bigger than 13/64"

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
    • R&T
« Reply #377 on: Mar 23, 2010, 05:54:04 PM »
I fixed that with a peace of brake pipe or some simular metal pipe, (canīt remember what it was) anyway I found me a pipe that fits inside the resistor or drilled the resistor out a litle more, then I drilled that pipe out for the size I wanted, I tryed a few out and really canīt remember what size I endet up with, I think it was something around 4,5 mm. I dit the exact same mod on a friends truck, and he kept the restrictor fully opened (no pipe) and when I had found the size of a restriction that I wanted he told me heīs used to the steering like this now and he ditnīt want to change it, I always thought his steering was scary loose or easy, but he liked it so  :wiggle:...

I donīt know if the newer models had a different resistor or what, but all the ones I have drilled out have had this plate inside with the 2 holes, and what happens is that this plate gets loose and kinda shootes out, I have punched it out with a hammer and I think I tryed to drill the 2 holes out once, but I donīt remember how that worked out, anyways you have probably a few things to try out now, and I am kinda to tyred to make sence right now, so keep asking and Iīll try to reply to you again soon if I am helping you ;)

swapped89

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: Mar 25, 2010, 10:52:22 AM »
when i put my steering box back together that sharp lip that contacts the teflon  ring cut just a tiny sliver of the teflon ring. Do you think this could be giving me problems.

when the truck is off and tires in the air and the ram is not bolted to axle or tie rod the ram moves at the same speed as the tires

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,241
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: Mar 25, 2010, 03:04:04 PM »
when i put my steering box back together that sharp lip that contacts the teflon  ring cut just a tiny sliver of the teflon ring. Do you think this could be giving me problems.

when the truck is off and tires in the air and the ram is not bolted to axle or tie rod the ram moves at the same speed as the tires

I would say yes
Colorado...its where the cool kids live

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
    • R&T
« Reply #380 on: Mar 25, 2010, 05:56:57 PM »
when i put my steering box back together that sharp lip that contacts the teflon  ring cut just a tiny sliver of the teflon ring. Do you think this could be giving me problems.

the teflon ring. if you have it back together I wouldnīt think to much of it, if you have it all torn apart replace that ring. about the ram, it kinda idles with the housing untill you have some restriction.  If you would have it the other way, have the ram mounted and the steering link disconnected, and the tires on the ground you wouldnīt see any movement till you have turned at either sideīs full stopp, when the box is pressed agains the edges the ram shootes out.

swapped89

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: Mar 25, 2010, 06:16:50 PM »
ok. That ring in the picture is the old one I replaced the old teflon ring with a new one in my rebuild kit. And the new one is the one that got cut but is very small cut. I really dont think its gonna hurt it at all.
I would say yes
but that shouldnt make my pump squeel, i wouldnt think?

swapped89

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: Apr 05, 2010, 12:19:46 PM »
Another question for ya'll.
My ram seems to be moving in the opposite direction of my tires. I have the truck in the air on jack stands tires off the ground. And the ram un-bolted from the axle/tie rod.
This is the diagram I used to figure out how to route the hoses.

I have checked, double checked and re-checked and had my friend look at the pic and my set up. We both come to the conclusion that the hoses are in the correct order.
The hose with the duct tape on it goes to the top of the steering box.
« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2010, 12:37:43 PM by swapped89 »

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
« Reply #383 on: Apr 05, 2010, 02:06:52 PM »
My ram seems to be moving in the opposite direction of my tires.

That appears to be correct for the hose connections.  Kinda weird that it wants to move in the opposite direction.
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!

-Jake-

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 538
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: Apr 05, 2010, 02:28:08 PM »
just throwing this out there but your ram is mounted the opposite direction of the one in the diagram
81 Hilux, E-Lockers, 5.29s, Duals, 30 spline Longfields, 8274 Warn, 40" Iroks, F150s and RUF

swapped89

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: Apr 05, 2010, 02:51:20 PM »
just throwing this out there but your ram is mounted the opposite direction of the one in the diagram
yes, I know, I took that into consideration when I hooked up the lines. If you look the lines are connected correctly left and right. The line that comes out of the top of the steering box connects to the ram on the passenger side of the truck. And the line that comes out of the side of the steering box connects to the ram on the driver side. I know my ram is flipped but that means the lines still go on the same side of the truck, it don't matter if the ram is flipped if the lines are oriented in the way they are supposed to be

-Jake-

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 538
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: Apr 05, 2010, 04:51:46 PM »
yeah after studying it a bit more I see now.   :smack: 
81 Hilux, E-Lockers, 5.29s, Duals, 30 spline Longfields, 8274 Warn, 40" Iroks, F150s and RUF

4XFlyin

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -8
  • Male Posts: 541
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: Apr 06, 2010, 10:40:15 PM »
Another question for ya'll.
My ram seems to be moving in the opposite direction of my tires. I have the truck in the air on jack stands tires off the ground. And the ram un-bolted from the axle/tie rod.
This is the diagram I used to figure out how to route the hoses.

I have checked, double checked and re-checked and had my friend look at the pic and my set up. We both come to the conclusion that the hoses are in the correct order.
The hose with the duct tape on it goes to the top of the steering box.

You have the ram mounted the wrong way.
82 1st Gen with 4.3L vortec and 4l60e. Linked front and rear

My build up. Getting linked
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=50700.msg711361#msg711361

4XFlyin

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -8
  • Male Posts: 541
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: Apr 06, 2010, 10:46:13 PM »
The diagram you have is for having the ram mounted this way. If you are going to keep it mounted the way you have, you may want to switch the hoses around. Maybe someone else can chime in who mounted it the same way you did.

82 1st Gen with 4.3L vortec and 4l60e. Linked front and rear

My build up. Getting linked
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=50700.msg711361#msg711361

swapped89

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: Apr 06, 2010, 11:50:07 PM »
 :psss: did you read the previous posts

The hoses stay oriented on the same side of the truck no matter what way you flip the ram. The ram being flipped is the only difference. As long as the hose that has pressure while turning to the left is on the passenger side it will push the ram to the left. And as long as the hose that gets pressure while turning to the right is hooked up on the driver side it will push the ram to the right. I know not to hook the lines up the same way you have them and then flip the ram that would be opposite the way its supposed to be.