Author Topic: BigMike's Big Project  (Read 717141 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: BigMike's Big Project
« Reply #990 on: Sep 19, 2005, 10:39:29 PM »
Hey Randy (Toy4therock),

I've been following your posts on other threads, of course due to your extensive over-detailing and over-elaborations of your many countless run-off sentences with incorrect punctuations... Using periods that break up sentences that have the same subject matter, and using exclamation and question marks in the middle of sentences...

Not to mention that your one paragraph is comprised of about 100 sentences, there is no way that I can read all of your replys if you continue to write like this.

What nationality are you? I'm betting that you are using an English translation program and that you speak a different language. If this is the case, then I am impressed that you are here on an English forum and are taking the time to cross-translate our responces and replys, but seriously, please be more specific and leave out about 80% of your details on each sentence.

Here, I have painstakingly broken up your reply into the following, so that I can understand what you are trying to say:

Big Mike, I first must say I love your quote on common sense! If not for that how would anyone survive this life! Unfortunitly for those of us with more than an average excercised amount of this. Its just not enough at certain times and no matter the amounts we dig for needed knowledge its not there.

Point in case toyota engines and in particular the 22RE. As I'd found out when ever we dont excercise ours to the fullest extent due to the fact we figure others surely would in what we had bought so we wouldnt need work alot harder still.

My case in point is the naby vacuum lines running amuck on the stock injection all maddness complicated by the fact the only diagram to be found! Wont sure as hell be in that manual we paid bug bucks for but more uderneth our now old and god only knows what in time besides the fact ink wasnt intended to survive any such durations of heat and water and batter explossions no less! And so when you will need it you wont find it!

Along in any of the most important of any internal combustion engine and its oiling paths galleys plugs or anything other than the damned filter at best!

And more if one were to use there common sense only at night time and when frustrated to hell by all the damned plugs in electrcial maddness made worse still in the act of god it will take most to ever figure out how that damned plug should ever come apart as its sole intention was no doubt!

And so dont ever do what I had and cut the basturd off throwing it into the darkness of night! And worse into the now longer growing pile of trash created by the lack of what you had in two days pickup now cut to one for some recycling crap?

So as you build that truck and buy alot of the many but not all that we must have and others will like. My trash pile grow to an enormous and long 25 feet long by three feet wide! Coverd by any old tarps that used to give me and my rig cover from sun and rain as I worked diligently day and night year after year no less and all more trying in vein to get one of four engines to roar and stay that way as one after the other all went to the way side due to some form of problem that wasnt ever clear to me other than they all died from that one same thing! Some form of oil starvation! And or in the first and last of that third!

Being that I didnt buy or ues the more expensive factory diaprhamed oil filters which were the only ones that held an oil charge if at all. So everytime your engines started it starts dry and why?

Due to some idiots worse idea in how to mount any oil filter and also never had to change it at all not to mention as often as we do as we use ours out in dry and dirty enviroment just as Id thought was the very reason why we bought them to begin with!! And then to add insult to a real lack of anything sort of pure uncare and plain stupidity!

I stood before the owner and head engine builder of this so called engine shop? Telling them why I wanted to build my own this time  only that I lacked the hands on working knowledge of building not only one of these engines but any complete fourstroke from an oil pan up period.

As Id toren down my big block ford in my flatbottom v-drive boat amoungest many other things done to it and many many a motorcycle including even learning computer and engine building on software designed by dragracers for them and the general public when it came out many years ago and is within 2% of a dyno when good numbers are used. And they were as both my harleys FLY! As the Hp went up by an amazing 1/3 for argument sake. Only felt like double for the real truth.

And exactly where along in talking to many with alot more knowledge about engines than I will ever have! About strokes and porting and so forth. This and one very important fact! When tested in highschool and with zero working knowledge. I scored higher than all the rest at least in the first two years of highschool thats all I was told. But then you werent tested later!

And what I scaored higher in was mechanics no less with electronics being my 2nd but not higher than all scores. Did I care about that? Hell no as all I could think of was that was the very last thing Id ever care to do for a living. But like it then or not this was and is the whole truth! Due to some strange reason? I seemed to be drawn into the engine world and liking it alot more than even realizing that I was doing that period.

Why simple I did enjoy it and still do very much so! Just as we dont know one another at all.

But from your photo its plain to see your a nice guy and one who enjoys himself and that is most likely good at what he does as a result! And again in what Ive seen as to your own build up tells me more. As does your living as a mechanic no doubt and then part time at your Im guessing fathers great business and another man who knows right from wrongs and is one smart cookie no doubt! As he is also real fiar and not at all greedy!

And just as Id like to think that if we met each other some day would most likely get along well. Just as anyone who would know as anyone who had taken on what you certainly have in your trucks to date. Should appreciate the balls and knowledge that will certainly require!

As I for one had no real knowledge ok just bigger balls and alot of pure common sense. And thats not at all enough when we tear into an entire truck like we have! As to date the only things Ive not taken apart are the transmission god bless and the transfercase which doesnt frieighten me as much or like an engine should have? But what can be said is how much I now know as a direct result and over by and large most except the top in performance is about all that Ive found.

However if we are humble we also realize theres other general things which untill challenged we wont know ether as we never had to untill its called upon.And now and for me that would be without any question the oiling system on these engines!!

As Im ready to put fire to the beast but first need oil pressure! And that Im not seeing no matter how hard I try or want to cry and get pissed!But I do know for a hard fact the pil galley plugs in the front and back are in there proper homes. And that my oil pickup tube and its screen are free clean and open as is the gasket between the flange on the pickup tube and the bottom of the block! As well the oil pump even not brand new isnt but a slightly used housing at best! And when I used a feeler guage as per manual its all far within its limitations. To the very point it may as well be brand new!

PRV dont know as all I can say is its clean period.

Id packed the pump twice as told by those in the real know. Only to find that did zero if anything and so theres a leak some place? And every bolt hole Ive checked is dry and appears a dead end and hole.

So can you tell me what you know.
Thank you and if I can be of any help at all I will sure try.

Thanks Mike a friend  nether of us has met.

Randy

But even when I do that, it is very hard to see just what you are trying to say and it took me about 10mins to sift through everything so that I could even get out your one question, which is related to your engines not having any oil pressure.

Just to answer your question, are you running a gasket between the oil pickup tube and the oil pump housing? If not, then the oil pump will pickup part air and part oil, and the oil would be aerated and it would be difficult for the pump to develop much pressure..

Now back to your reply, Please learn how to make your sentences about 80% smaller, like this:

You wrote:
And more if one were to use there common sense only at night time and when frustrated to hell by all the damned plugs in electrcial maddness made worse still in the act of god it will take most to ever figure out how that damned plug should ever come apart as its sole intention was no doubt!
And that could be summarised by just saying:
"I had a plug that came apart."

Coverd by any old tarps that used to give me and my rig cover from sun and rain as I worked diligently day and night year after year no less and all more trying in vein to get one of four engines to roar and stay that way as one after the other all went to the way side due to some form of problem that wasnt ever clear to me other than they all died from that one same thing! Some form of oil starvation! And or in the first and last of that third!
This one could be summarised by just saying:
"I've built 4 engines in the past and they all broke down by a lack of oil pressure."

But what can be said is how much I now know as a direct result and over by and large most except the top in performance is about all that Ive found
This could just be said as:
"I know how to build good top ends."

Just as anyone who would know as anyone who had taken on what you certainly have in your trucks to date.
:hammerhead: ??? :headscratch:

As I for one had no real knowledge ok just bigger balls and alot of pure common sense.
Ok, so you've got big balls then? Thanks for the info
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2005, 10:55:29 PM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

RHG

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,320
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: Sep 21, 2005, 07:12:46 AM »
I am reply 1000! Happy 1000th for BigMikes Project. It has come a long ways.
Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

89 Ext Cab Long Bed, SAS'd, Double 2.28's, 5.29's, 38" TSL's, Allied Beadlocks, Half Doors, Custom Trail Bodywork

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #992 on: Sep 22, 2005, 01:32:17 PM »
Dang! Im trun my back for a few days and look at what happens!

I agree with ya mikey, reading those made my brain hurt too. (and being as I don't have one, that's saying something!)  :clap:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

hudlenutz

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 22
  • Male Posts: 220
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
    • My Page
« Reply #993 on: Sep 27, 2005, 09:13:59 AM »
Holy Post Batman!

I finally made it through all 28 pages.  Great buildup Mike.   :yupyup:

lubo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -82
  • Male Posts: 61
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Boosting, a little.
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: Sep 28, 2005, 01:12:21 PM »
mikeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy boy
where u at

it's Lu, bet u remember. i got me a tacoma .. check it out in the new member section. man i lost ur number. last time we talked, you had all those goodies on the PU, it's time to give me ideas fow my 4wd. lookin forward to hear from you ...

btw .. i'm not clear on that 2.7 you guys r talking about. it seems different than the one i've got in the 05.

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #995 on: Oct 03, 2005, 09:30:16 PM »
Hey Mikey  :wave:  Happy B-day.

Hey I just got started on my gas tank swap. I got one from toyotaboy, he said he thinks it came from a 86-87 2wd long bed.

I cut my rear saport off and resized it to fit back in the frame back some. (like 6" or so) butt I was looking the two tanks over and saw that the 83 tank had the bolt flange a lot higher up than the new tank. both seem about the same hight. and the new one's about 6" longer.

so I going to try to mount the tank lower in the truck in relasion to the flange holes. this should make the tank just a bit lower than the 83 tank was (about an 1" or so) butt that way I will not have to lift the bed or cut it. 

Anmd I'll have to buy a new sender and put the olod plug on it for the gage. Think I'm going to run the EFI pump and get a reg. for the carb. (LC eng. on that one)

lowering the tank will make the fuel fill hose some fun to.  ???  but that's why we don't leave good enuf alone, right?  :dunno:
 Wish I had a dig camia and I'd take some  scary pics for ya.

I'll go back to page 8-9 and read up on yours again.  Kick  :moon:  in school buddy! and don't eat to much cake.  :chew:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: Nov 27, 2005, 12:12:26 AM »
Thanksgiving 2005

Well, you can't have Thanksgiving without working on your rig, now can ya? :nope:

Last night I did what I've been needing to do since this Spring: The Redesigning of my Rear Shocks.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: Nov 27, 2005, 12:23:38 AM »
I've always hated how I designed my lower shock mounts, and I had talked about it here before......

hmmmmmmm.... let me see..........

ahhhh here you go:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=14506.0

I'll let some pictures do the talking:

The design on the left is how I had my shocks, and I never liked it from the beginning (had no choice then) and I finally got some time and redesigned it! :woohoo:

This was the idea, back in August.

Here was a pic from Tacorunner:

The idea is that is will prevent this from happening:

Where as the axle articulates, it binds with the shocks, when mounted in that manner.

So off to work I went. I worked on Dave's laptop until about 11p last night, Fri night, and then started on my rig at about 11:30p and was back home at 4am :gap:
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2005, 01:14:36 AM by BigMike »

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: Nov 27, 2005, 01:01:06 AM »
So I made some measurements with differing heights measured using the fork lift to achieve max. articularion (empty bed, at the point when the drivers tire would just begin to lift off the ground), and here are the results:

Old Style     No Shocks     New Style
Vertical Distance from Ground-To-Inner-U-Bolt34 1/2"36 1/2"36 1/8"
Length of Shock Showing on Compressed Side (Pass.)3 1/2"N/A1 3/16"
Length of Shock Showing on Extended Side (Drivers)7 5/8"N/A6"
Vertical Distance from Center Pin to Bump Stop on Extended Side13 3/8"13 1/2"13 1/4"
Vertical Distance from Center Pin to Bump Stop on Compressed Side   7 5/8"6 3/4"7 1/4"

So from that data, you can see that I have gained 1 5/8" of articulation out of my rear suspension!!!! That's just over 1.5" :thumbs:
And without any shocks, it got a whole 2" of more articulation. This shows that there must still be some kind of binding going on, since the Bilsteins are pressurised, one shock cancells out the other (assuming absolute equal valving and pressure), and I know that there is still an issue with the angle that the top shock mounts are at. They are pointing up slightly, above the horizon.....
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2005, 01:18:08 AM by BigMike »

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,857
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #999 on: Nov 27, 2005, 01:10:02 AM »
Very nice, but you are so close to bottoming that shock now.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: Nov 27, 2005, 01:12:12 AM »
So I torched off and ground down where the old mounts were, built some new mounts, and welded 'em in :gap:

Our Iron worker is not setup yet, because of the move and all, so I had to wack the crap out of the metal in a vice, so it doesn't have the finish I would have liked. But it'll look at home after a couple of weeks of road rash ;)

I really like how these mounts turned out. I modified parts from our steering stabilizer kits :gap:
It is a double sheer setup, and also provides protection for my brake lines, which is an added bonus

Also, from the data table above, with this new setup I only have 1 3/16" of the shock showing (apprx available remaining travel) at full compression with this new setup, and can be seen in the above picture.

But I did it this way because I plan on brining the two upper mounts in closer together, making the shocks at more of a /\ angle, so once I do that, the shock body will be moved away from the mount, and I will still have plenty of the 12" bore remaining for down travel.

And when I redue the upper mounts, then I will address the angle of the mounts, since I had cut out and replaced that entire upper support when I put in the long bed EFI gas tank.

That was it. 5 hours of setting up, building, and cleaning up, and getting back home, well worth it :thumbs:

So far I have only driven it home from the shop (2 miles), and I didn't notice that it was any "softer" back there, but I know if must be, due to the fact that I have reduced the binding...

So for now, until I change the upper mounts and inboard the shocks, no jumping for me :gap: yeah, as if I have ever jumped my rig before ::) :nonono:

Cya
BigMike

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #1001 on: Nov 27, 2005, 01:17:00 AM »
Ok I got it you are going to move the tops more inboard, that'll stretch 'em back out a bit.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: Nov 27, 2005, 01:26:06 AM »
yup, I have never liked the valving on these bilsteins, I think they are designed for a heavier vehicle, so I plan on inboarding them at the top to reduce their effect..

So this gives me lot's of room to move them in as much as I like. Before, I had almost 8" of shock showing, so that only gave me 4" of extension past what it used to be. But now that the mounts are up higher, with this setup it's now only showing 6" of the shock, so I've gained the potential of 2" more down travel, or repositioning of the shocks for uptravel, which I will do someday. Also I gained a bit of ground clearance, and also got the shocks up and out of the rocks. The previous setup, the shocks were just barely below the diff housing :slap:

I was swinging on the bed and I couldn't get the shock to move but only 1/2". And before Dave left, both of us hung from my truck, and it moved about 1". That was maybe 350-some lbs, and at full compression too. So if I was out jumping and I had a load, yeah, it wouldn't be good.

Easy solution: Don't jump  :sly:

sjc81toy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -41
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: Dec 04, 2005, 11:12:32 AM »
Hi mike, this is a sweet project. Anyways...
I have an '81 SR5 that i recently picked up a set of OEM Chevy avalance 17's for. and was wondering what the shop would charge to bore them for me, I'd like to have all four done, but could live with two, deepending on the price. Could you possibly give me a price?
Thanks, SJC

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: Dec 04, 2005, 01:44:57 PM »
Hi mike, this is a sweet project. Anyways...
I have an '81 SR5 that i recently picked up a set of OEM Chevy avalance 17's for. and was wondering what the shop would charge to bore them for me, I'd like to have all four done, but could live with two, deepending on the price. Could you possibly give me a price?
Thanks, SJC

To bore them............. Are you talking about fitting the Toyota hubs into the center hole of the rims? Like what I had to do when I was using those GMC Wheels? If so, then no, I don't think the shop would be interested in doing that.. We usually don't do any type of special work like that, well not any more. We have become more organized and more business related, and we have stopped doing most all of our side jobs and side projects. Sorry man. I know that the 16" fit on our large mill, so I am sure your 17s would fit, but I think you would be better off going somewhere else... :down:

An update:

I have been driving my truck every day now, since it is too freak'n cold to ride the motorcycle without some proper gear, and man, let me tell ya, THIS IS A NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE. It is SOO MUCH SMOOTHER in the back. I am no longer getting jarred all over the place, and the springs are actually getting broken in, now that they are able to actually flex around.

Also, Bevin and I just went up to Shut Eye Peak yesterday, which is just an easy fire road with many pot holes and small rocks, and we got to do some Rally driving, and geez, my truck is finally starting to ride nice. I am very satisfied with the results from changing these lower brackets, and I am still going to inboard the shocks like: /\ and that will help out even more I am sure.

I will post some pics from our trip when I get back home. I am at the shop working today with Marlin! :thumbs:

Cya
BigMike

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #1005 on: Feb 06, 2006, 10:11:24 PM »
Hey Mike, what are you using for protection under your tripples?

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: Feb 07, 2006, 12:20:58 AM »
So far: Nothing.

I know you are using a R10 adapter with the FROR crossmember like TURBO, blane525, and I are, and all three of us have yet to make some type of skid under there....

I am planning on not doing much until summer, so hopefully I won't be in to many situations where protection would be needed until then. If I can raise the fun tickets this summer, then I'll be doing a lot of work to my rig, the skid will be on the list. :gap:

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #1007 on: Feb 07, 2006, 07:01:12 AM »
Ok, well, I'm going to attempt to weld up a custom skid before I take the con, dusy & MCR5. You know me, I'll take pleanty of pics. :greengrin:
I'm thinking of doing it with a bunch of small plates welded together, starting with the original mounting points for the crossmember on both cases and joining them together.
1/4" should be good enough.

northtoy

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: Mar 28, 2006, 07:04:10 PM »
I know your busy with school, but any more progress?
How's the 2.7 running?

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: Mar 28, 2006, 07:20:24 PM »
Hey northtoy :beerchug:

I have not done anything major since the Suspension Kit and the rear shock mounts, but man, the 3RZ IS AWESOME.

I took some new pictures and put them in my gallery, well I might as well link them here too:

I did install a http://www.dccontrol.com/ E-Fan controller (which is visible above in the 1st and 2nd pic next to my brake master cylinder) and a 15" Shrouded Fan when I got back from Japan, and its running just like it did when I got it. Removing the engine-driven fan really made a huge difference with gas mileage, and my mid-to-top end power has definitely improved, as it should.

One thing I am noticing is that my truck really doesn't like speeds above 95-ish. Power is really great at all ranges except for prolonged high loads above 4800rpm or so. For instance, floored in 4th gear somewhere around 90-95 is about 5k rpm and it just gets really really flat. I mean, the power curve on this sucka peaks at 4800 rpm so I am now wondering if I have a fuel delivery issue.

So I am going to take my scanner out next time with me and watch the timing advance curves throughout the RPM band, especially under the long 4500+ rpm WOT spans.

If my fuel system is not adequate for this engine at those RPMs, then geez, I am afraid to upgrade it! :yupyup: I mean the power is so strong and so smooth, if that power were to continue all the way to near redline (~5750) then WOW. I will race my friends 3.4 Taco again and maybe he won't pull on me above 80 MPH this time.

My Spring Break is next week, and during it, I hope to:
1) Bob my Bed
2) Build and Install Pivot Blocks
3) Start on a New Crossmember, like the one on our Formula Toy.
4) Get a rear bumper.

I am going to run Outerlimits at the Jamboree next month, so I better get the bed bobbed and a rear bumper, and I would really love to run Pivot Blocks in the back, which would allow me to remove one or two more leafs and still maintain the same ride height. I really don't carry any loads at all so my rear suspension is wwwaaaaaaaayyyyyy overrated for what I need it to do.

After seeing MiniSimps setup, it's Pivot Blocks all the way!

I will be posting updates next week :greengrin:
BigMike

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: Mar 28, 2006, 07:23:28 PM »
but man, the 3RZ IS AWESOME.

Yes it really is. Its amazing the amount of power in it.
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

RHG

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,320
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: Mar 28, 2006, 07:27:33 PM »
Hey Mike, where do you look up part numbers for them NGK spark plug wires? Im lookin to get some for my 22re. What size are they 7,8,9mm? What are you running for spark plugs?
Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

89 Ext Cab Long Bed, SAS'd, Double 2.28's, 5.29's, 38" TSL's, Allied Beadlocks, Half Doors, Custom Trail Bodywork

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: Mar 28, 2006, 07:37:12 PM »
NGK? :spankbutt: Nology Hotcore wires all the way baby!!!!

http://www.nology.com/hot.html

They have capacitors built into the wires which gather the charge from the coil, and then discharge it from a closer distance to the spark plug, which guarantees a hotter spark. The non-capacitor wire section is 7mm and the capacitor section is 10.25mm.

<a href="http://www.nology.com/nologyflash.swf" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.nology.com/nologyflash.swf</a>

I've seen that display at the SEMA show. They allowed you to turn it on and off, and with it off, swap the Wires between each plug and each coil terminal. Then, with it on again the bright (hotter) spark would be where ever the Nology Hotwire was hooked up on. So it wasnt a trick coil or plug, they really work.

They are pricey, I know, but I think they are well worth it. If its even possible for regular aftermarket wires to give you 1 or 2 more horsepower, then I believe that the Hotcore wires give 3 or 4 more horsepower.

But I feel that the main advantage is during the lower rpm ranges. Increased spark energy really helps with broadening the torque curve, and it will also help prevent stalling.

For spark plugs I am running Denso Iridium plugs. They are about $8 each. They came gapped at 0.035", and I regapped mine to 0.042" to take advantage of the increased incoming charge from the wires.

http://www.densoiridium.com/
Technical info: http://www.globaldenso.com/PLUG/power/features.html
The Denso Iridium plugs were the first Iridium plugs on the market and are really technologically rich. You should check them out-
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2006, 07:52:35 PM by BigMike »

Jared

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 170
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Rolled baby.... IN front of my house....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: Mar 29, 2006, 11:13:00 PM »
do mike ive been tryin to get a hold of stinkbug so i can get a wiring harness for my 3rz but no luck.. im in the middle of a deal of buyin a complete wrecked 2wd tacoma and i really want to do this swap.. how much do you think you put into this swap and if i cant get a wiring harness from stinkbug do you think you would be able to help me out???
ah the beauty of a cuttin torch

CrazyYota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 92
  • Male Posts: 1,073
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: Mar 30, 2006, 08:29:00 PM »
  :think: I was wondering if it would be hard to do a swap like that? would the tacoma engine bolt on to the stock transmision of an 83 pickup? would you have to swap the wiring harnest for the tacoma to the first gen? :confused: I have a friend that has a wrecked 2wd tacoma i could get the truck cheap or maby even free! and would it be street legal and pass smog?
>Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: Mar 31, 2006, 12:27:18 AM »
Guys, you will need an Extra Cab 2WD Tacoma if you are looking for the 3RZ, otherwise you will get the 2.4l 2RZ (about 10 less HP and 20 less TQ).

Jared, do you still have my cell phn #? It's the same. Also, have you read this post I wrote about the main costs of the swap?

CrazyYota, have you read the The Official 3RZ Knowledge and Database Thread?

CrazyYota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 92
  • Male Posts: 1,073
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: Apr 02, 2006, 08:59:40 PM »
Need to read it!! :biggthumpup:
>Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

synwars

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 360
  • Male Posts: 485
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Fabbing with Maffy
    • View Profile
    • Can you feel the love?
« Reply #1017 on: Apr 03, 2006, 08:37:24 AM »

My Spring Break is next week, and during it, I hope to:
1) Bob my Bed
2) Build and Install Pivot Blocks
3) Start on a New Crossmember, like the one on our Formula Toy.
4) Get a rear bumper.

Wha wha what? :o Is this common? So I'm not the first one that has thought of this? :slap:

What are your plans for this?

I thought of doing something that sounds similar, except pivoting perches. I got two 7"x 1.5" shank grade 8 bolts with matching nylocs and two pcs of 1.5" IDx 3/8" thick DOM tubing I am going to put together to make these. I'll cut 1.5" off each end of the tubing to make a swivel. Then I'll weld the ends to the perch I have now, and the center to a new base plate I'll make out of 3/8" x 5" flat bar. Then I'll sandwich the spring pack with a top plate made of the same material. Add some grease zerks and, woila, pivots. :think:

I figure that is the way to go, rather than JJ's. With JJ, I hear they are a PITA to install and even worse on the trail. Plus you have to run two to get the same effect. With a pivoting perch, it only affects one point, and is beefy strong too. Easy to make, easy to install, east to maintain. Works for me! :thumbs:

Is this the same type of idea? Or do you have something else in mind? :headscratch:

Syn
"Don't let common sense stop you..."

Build up thread:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=11425.0

KEEP IT CLEAN PEOPLE!!! :bat:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #1018 on: Apr 03, 2006, 08:39:50 AM »
Wha wha what? :o Is this common? So I'm not the first one that has thought of this? :slap:

What are your plans for this?

I thought of doing something that sounds similar, except pivoting perches. I got two 7"x 1.5" shank grade 8 bolts with matching nylocs and two pcs of 1.5" IDx 3/8" thick DOM tubing I am going to put together to make these. I'll cut 1.5" off each end of the tubing to make a swivel. Then I'll weld the ends to the perch I have now, and the center to a new base plate I'll make out of 3/8" x 5" flat bar. Then I'll sandwich the spring pack with a top plate made of the same material. Add some grease zerks and, woila, pivots. :think:

I figure that is the way to go, rather than JJ's. With JJ, I hear they are a PITA to install and even worse on the trail. Plus you have to run two to get the same effect. With a pivoting perch, it only affects one point, and is beefy strong too. Easy to make, easy to install, east to maintain. Works for me! :thumbs:

Is this the same type of idea? Or do you have something else in mind? :headscratch:

Syn

I think it's MiniSimp that has a custom deal with that setup. Go check his build thread and you'll see them.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: Apr 03, 2006, 12:04:27 PM »
Hey synwars, no they are a bit different. The piviot is at the spring pirch itself, so that way the spring never needs to twist at all. Its like having dual Orbit Eyes or so

Here are some pics from MiniSimp's build (pages 12-14):