Author Topic: BigMike's Big Project  (Read 717355 times)

scheid6996

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,216
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
Re: BigMike's Big Project
« Reply #960 on: Apr 18, 2005, 11:45:14 AM »
sweet dude
When i die, i wana Be buried face down, so anyone who doesnt like me can kiss my :moon:

Its a redneck thing
"Nobody Loves Me"

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #961 on: Apr 18, 2005, 11:50:25 AM »
Those last two pictures are with the truck jacked up such that the stock shackles were unloaded and able to be removed. So that is at the point where the stock shackles were fully extended. :smack: So with the hanger forward now, I can go up alot higher before the new longer shackles reach their full extension.

Of course this is basic geometry and nothing special to talk about, but for me this is the very first modification I've ever done to a leaf spring suspension system so I am stoked  :disturbed:

In addition to the shackles, I also built myself a Marlink. I know I've needed to replace the factory tie rod for some time now, and I finally got it done. However I didnt use the huge tubing that we use in our HySteer kits because I am trying to conserve weight on my rig, and I feel that for 35s this smaller size is sufficient. I don't have any specs on it though, I will need to measure it. I would guess its about 28 - 30mm OD tubing, maybe 1-1/8". I also made it slightly longer than our normal Marlinks to ensure full thread contact on the FJ80 ends.
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: Apr 18, 2005, 12:00:27 PM »
And that's it. I did replace a couple of burned out light bulbs, got some new top secret Marlin Crawler seats that will be unveiled at the Jambo :eyebrow:  :wink2:  :ladys-man: and I drained my cooling system and replaced a couple of "questionable" radiator hoses.

If you're wondering why I dont have a HySteer, its because I fear the drag link will hit my oil pan. My springs I believe are only a 3" lift, plus the 3RZ is MUCH taller than a 22R, so the pan sits very low. So I think they only way to get around this will be to change my springs and run our Marlin front springs which will move the front axle forward and get the drag link of a HySteer system in front of the oil pan. But I am not ready to do my suspension yet, so I'm gonna have to wait on the HySteer for a while. So the next best thing is a Marlink. I mounted the steering stabilizer on the frame where it normally would be with a HySteer, so Im hoping I dont have to change that mount once I do switch over to the HySteer.

So now, the only things remaining to do for the Jamboree is get some Nerf Bars installed (which we are out of stock on right now - hopefully they will be in on Tues :crossed:) and I was going to bob the bed, but that was about 2 weeks ago and I still don't have any time. So I hope the trails I'm gonna go on are not to tight or I might take part of my bed. I really hope not. You know, it's one thing to beat up your truck, but its another thing to beat up your truck with proper armor. Without any protection, and I mean any, I don't have a t/case skid plate, I dont have a front bumper, I dont have a rear bumper, and I dont have any rock sliders, so I really dont want to go out and beat up my truck right now. But hopefully I can get the rock sliders on and then I think I'll be ok. I will just have to drive more carefully that's all.

Looking forward to this weekend, can't wait!

cgbemis

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 560
  • Male Posts: 568
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: Apr 18, 2005, 12:42:39 PM »
Mikey, please tell me that you weren't using a chunk of railroad tie, ontop of a steel brick, on top of a bucket for a jackstand (last picture in your shackle sequence).  :ack:

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: Apr 18, 2005, 12:54:02 PM »
Mikey, please tell me that you weren't using a chunk of railroad tie, ontop of a steel brick, on top of a bucket for a jackstand (last picture in your shackle sequence). :ack:

:ha_ha:  :laugh:  :yupyup: :rofl:

You're close - actually its a 3 ton jack, then two 2" aluminum bars I found, and then a piece of 4x4 wood. It was the only way to get the jack high enough to reach the frame. I did however place some quarters on both sides of the wheels of the jack so that it won't move :gap:

Safety first  :_oops:

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #965 on: Apr 18, 2005, 01:13:07 PM »

the 3RZ is MUCH taller than a 22R, so the pan sits very low. So I think they only way to get around this will be to change my springs and run our Marlin front springs

Two words for ya mikey, HOOD LIFT!

there, that ot ta fix it.

am I a genus or what?

p.s. I use the 4x4 wood as lift for the jack all the time! so don't worry, your in good company :thumbs:  :yesnod:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: Apr 18, 2005, 03:23:44 PM »
p.s. I use the 4x4 wood as lift for the jack all the time! so don't worry, your in good company :thumbs: :yesnod:
I knew it :_order: BLF and I were separated at birth! :o

Two words for ya mikey, HOOD LIFT!
Actually, there is plenty of room above the engine, especially with the 1" body lift, so I could move the engine upwards probably 2" or so, BUT, get this, even with the engine sitting as low as it is and with the 1" body lift, my transmission is actually nearly 1/2" from the cab and I had to hammer the cab just to clear the third transfercase :o So the 3RZ has more material below the center line of its crank as compared to a R-engine. There's lots of room above the engine, but I cant go any lower with the engine, in fact my front diff has already whacked the oil pan twice.  :headshake:

So the only way to push the engine higher would be to also move the cab higher... And to complicate this issue even furtherer, when I do my suspension, I don't want my truck to ride any higher than it already is....

....I want to relocate my front spring hanger inline with my frame rails, just like what we did to our F-Toy.

Something similar to this:

and

And I am also going to raise the placement of the front shackle mount so that I can maintain my caster and pinion angle, so I want to keep the differential right where it is, but just have taller and more flexy springs. So I will have to build some bump stops, and just rely on my spring droop to get articulation as apposed to spring up travel.

So what I was thinking about doing was using a bump stop setup located right at the engine block. Build perches ontop of the differential axle itself so that once the bump stops are reached, I can still get uptravel out at the wheels, and have some other bump stops there that would limit the uptravel of the tire. Are you following me? That way I can maintain about the same lift I have now (roughly a 3"), the new springs will move my axle forward enough so that I can clear a crossover steering style system, and my COG will be rather low, and with the 1.5" spacers and the IFS outer parts that I'm going to use when I rebuild my axle using a High pinion e-locker  :drooling: , I will have a rather wide setup for a stock Toy 8" axle.

Oh boy I've got lots of these plans for this summer, I can't wait! Gonna have to start a second build thread for my new ideas ! Gonna be fun :beer:
« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2005, 03:29:31 PM by BigMike »

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #967 on: Apr 18, 2005, 04:03:43 PM »
could ya cut the tunnel out and make it alittle taller? say 2" or so?

and if we were separated at birth, it must have been the world longest labor!! :rofl: :rofl2: :rofl:

for our mom> :smooch:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

cgbemis

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 560
  • Male Posts: 568
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: Apr 18, 2005, 04:41:17 PM »
:ha_ha:  :laugh:  :yupyup: :rofl:

You're close - actually its a 3 ton jack, then two 2" aluminum bars I found, and then a piece of 4x4 wood. It was the only way to get the jack high enough to reach the frame. I did however place some quarters on both sides of the wheels of the jack so that it won't move :gap:

Safety first  :_oops:

:headshake:  :nonono:  :shakehead:

TrackVino

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Male Posts: 1,038
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Rocking and Rollin with Marlin!!!
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
« Reply #969 on: Apr 19, 2005, 08:55:47 AM »
Ive been using a small bottle jack I borrowed from Dean. I usually put it on top of the 4x4, or get two old rims with a 2x6 across. Sometimes, you have to improvise in order to make things work. Since I started my project, Ive purchased more tools, and jack stands than I ever did when I was a mechanic.

Were with you Mike.

:smack:   :hammerhead:

toyhatsu

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 302
  • Male Posts: 201
  • Member since May '04
  • Toyota owns 51% of Daihatsu Motor Co, Ltd.
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: Apr 22, 2005, 08:10:26 PM »
 :turtle:  Trust me, you are going to be so damn happy with that engine! I have not found a hill yet that I can not pull 5th gear at 80 MPH on. Seriously, I can pull the 4-lanes up Highway 168 which has gotta be about a 6 percent grade in 5th gear doing 80 MPH the whole way up, and its really long, about 8 or 9 miles of the constant grade. And your Rocky is lighter than me so you are gonna be flying!  :turtle:

BM:  It's not the fuel pump.  I had ran down my battery trying to get the engine to start when wiring up the computer.  I ran a charger on it but could only get 9.2 volts out of it.  I put in another red top and mother puss bucket the thing is a ROCKET :biggthumpup: Aparently the alternator isn't charging or receiving a signal to excite the fields.  Without at least 12 volts I guess that some of the sensors weren't working.  I came around the corner of the building and stuck my foot in it.  It squealed the tires and slid sideways...didn't even dump the clutch.  Woohoo got that figured out.  Making progress...thanks :bowdown:
1991 Daihatsu Rocky, 3RZ-fe, Marlin super heavey duty clutch and pressure plate, Marlin W56-C-HD, duals, Marlin twinstick, three link front with Fox AirShox, 35's, Toy axles, 5.29:1, ARB F&R etc.

Uncle Jesse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 21
  • Male Posts: 375
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: Apr 22, 2005, 10:56:17 PM »
Most engine managment sensors only require 5 volts.  Its called reference voltage.  They do that so voltage fluctuations won't affect sensor performance.  Unfortunetly, fuel injectors and coil packs need 12 volts. . .   The fuel pump also needs 12 volts, but probably still runs at lower voltages, just slower, thus affecting fuel pressure.

toyhatsu

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: May 26, 2005, 03:35:33 PM »
Big Mike,

It passed emissions today  :bananabeer: :banana: :bananaguitar: :bananasplit: :bananajumprope: :best:

Thanks for the encouragement!

What an engine  :yupyup:
1991 Daihatsu Rocky, 3RZ-fe, Marlin super heavey duty clutch and pressure plate, Marlin W56-C-HD, duals, Marlin twinstick, three link front with Fox AirShox, 35's, Toy axles, 5.29:1, ARB F&R etc.

b_ripper8

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 371
  • Male Posts: 275
  • Member since May '04
  • 3RZ-FE power is that much closer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: May 26, 2005, 04:53:39 PM »
Congratulations! I'm actually negotiating prices on a couple 3RZ prospects in a local junkyard. Trying to work the "student" angle with them.
In Progress: 3RZ-FE Swap Underway.

Currently: 87' 4Runner - SAS - 5.29's - welded rear - Dual 2.28 cases - Optima bluetop - round headlight conversion - FZJ80 grill - rattlecan paint job - trimmed fenders - Ranger hybrid springs front - Tacoma hybrid springs rear - schedule 160 drivelines 8" slip front - Marlin's crossmember - disk brake conversion

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: May 26, 2005, 11:10:16 PM »
Wow that's great man, one step closer every time!

Next Tuesday I am going over to my friends house to help start his 3RZ conversion on his '85 shortbed Carb. Yota. Get this: He has a 2003 3RZ with 14k miles on it!! It's not even broken in yet! Soo cool! Everything on it is clean and looks like it was just born :drool:

Also Dean is removing his 4.3 Chevy V6, due to countless problems, and will be swapping in a 3RZ.

Can't wait to see all of the 3RZ conversions at the Round-Up this year. It's gonna be AWESOME.

4THEWKN

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 226
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Mickey Bomb's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #975 on: May 27, 2005, 04:29:48 PM »
I just know Mike is eating this up. But last year when he jammed past me on the 4-lane, i said to myself "Self you need to get one of them there 2.7's!!!!" The problems I've had has been software problems. After spend lots of $ trying to run down the problem, I'm done. I still think it is the computer. Today I just picked up a 2004 2.7 with all the assys. Look out Mike I'm hunt'in for ya!!!!! Ha Ha.   Dean...........
Rock Rash: It's all mind over matter, if you don't mind it don't matter!!

ifssucks

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 79
  • Member since Sep '04
  • unfinshed business
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: Jun 11, 2005, 11:37:14 PM »
looks like this swap is very popular now. when i started mine like a year ago, big mike was the only person i knew of that had got into it. here i am a year later and i havent spliced a single wire. its been mounted forever but thats it. we had a baby and that put everything on hold. i went out to the truck the other day aand layed out the harness to try and get it moving again, but im so lost. i have no clue where to ven start. i have lots of diagrams but i get a headache just looking them over. i need to know where to mount the fuse box, and where im gonna mount the ecu so i can start running some wires. the harness is like three different pieces. i guess one is the lights for the front end and theres a interior-under the dash piece and then the fuse box with a big chunk of wire coming of it. im absolutely frightened to even attempt to wiring this in. im to the point where i could just tow it to a shop and let them hack at it for a few weeks or however long it takes.  :hammer:

Uncle Jesse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 21
  • Male Posts: 375
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: Jun 12, 2005, 09:07:13 AM »
These guys here say they can build a harness for your 3rz conversion.  If so, it sounds like this is what you need to cure your wiring blues.  Give them a call and get some more info and pricing.  Let us know how it goes!

http://www.stinkyfab.com/index2.html

ifssucks

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 79
  • Member since Sep '04
  • unfinshed business
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: Jun 13, 2005, 11:12:15 PM »
that seems like a reasonable idea. ill call tomorrow and see what the cost is. id hate to kick down a bunch of cash on a new ahrness when mines in great shape. but if its all labeled it would probably help out. i have the computer too so hope fully its sold without. i gtuess well see. the mounting was easy. well, easy enough for now, well see when i try to mount the radiator and cooling fans(electric). 

thanks for the suggestion! :thumbs:

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #979 on: Jul 03, 2005, 04:10:48 PM »
   Hey BigMike,   did I see correcly, you took the body off your rig, Are starting over?
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: Jul 03, 2005, 10:03:01 PM »
Hey BigMike, did I see correcly, you took the body off your rig, Are starting over?

:headscratch:

Nope, right now I am saving up some $$ for my summer project

toyhatsu

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: Jul 04, 2005, 06:28:45 AM »
:headscratch:

Nope, right now I am saving up some $$ for my summer project

Big Mike:  I almost have enough saved for one of your Dad's W56c's or W56d's and I will get it out on the trails.  The 5.71:1 diffs are way too low and will have to go to 5.29's or 4.88's after the transmission is done.

You are so right about being happy with the 3RZ.  I can actually pull into traffic now without having to wait for a big hole to open up.  I am getting about the same gas milage as the stock 1.6L but with MUCH more power.  The 2RZ radiator and electric fan are keeping it cool no problem.    The stock fuel pump (33-40psi) is working great with no cutout during hard acceleration.  When I think about down shifting I just give it a little more gas and it picks right up.  This is the best upgrade to the truck yet.  Having an engine made in Tennessee is priceless.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: Jul 04, 2005, 09:59:14 AM »
:bowdown: I can't wait to check out your rig at MCR4 :thumbs:

flatster

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: Jul 30, 2005, 11:36:05 PM »
Hey mike Brian (Flatster) here from denver w a few ?s

Thinkin about droppin in a 2.7 in an early yota myself

1 Will it clear a FJ-80 HP front diff? with the housing moved forward 2"

2 Will a rf151 turbo tranny bolt to the W 59 bellhsg

3 Can you send me a total parts list? please!

4  Sounds like the 2.7 needs to be from a T-100 or gather the pan assembly? for non T-100

5  How close to the fire wall should I mount the motor for fan, rad clearance? Also should I mount motor higher for axle clearance?

6 Do you hear feed back that the FJ-80 E locker is strong and reliable enough to handle 37" MTRs?  What about Taco Rear TRD?

7 Is FJ-80 63"wms to wms? Is TAco 61" wms to wms?
Thanks BB

flatster

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: Jul 30, 2005, 11:41:47 PM »
Hey Mike
wondering if you recieved my post
it had ?s re 2.7 in early yota
thanks Brian (flatster)

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: Jul 31, 2005, 04:22:29 PM »
Hey Mike
wondering if you received my post

I was out of town at Rubicon from Thursday - Sunday (today).
Also, 5 mins 42 secs doesn't give me much time to reply :ha_ha:

1 Will it clear a FJ-80 HP front diff? with the housing moved forward 2"[/url]
Yes. The only thing close would be the exhaust, and it would depend on how you make it. I have my exhaust dropping down and cutting underneath the bellhousing, so I need to ramp my truck once I get the high pinion in and make sure the drive line clears the exhaust. But I could have done a better job on the exhaust, so if there is a clearance issue, then I will just make the exhaust tighter to the bellhousing.

2 Will a rf151 turbo tranny bolt to the W 59 bellhsg
No. Only the G- and W-series are compitable with a W-bellhousing. You will have to make a custom 3RZ engine - R-trans bellhousing. AOR has just finished theirs in their desert race truck. You might want to give them a call and see how they did it.

3 Can you send me a total parts list? please!
I never made a parts list, but after seeing how well documented 4RnrRick's Supra swap is, I will *try* to do the same once I start on Marlin's swap tomorrow.

4 Sounds like the 2.7 needs to be from a T-100 or gather the pan assembly? for non T-100
Yes, you must use a rear sump T100 oil pan. I forgot which page on this thread Toyhatsu documented the part numbers, but I have already sourced the numbers out myself for an '85/'04 2.7 swap that I am about 60% finished with now, so by the time I get Marlin's project thread started, I will be sure to have this fully documented.. I'll let you know-

5 How close to the fire wall should I mount the motor for fan, rad clearance? Also should I mount motor higher for axle clearance?
It should be mounted in exactly the same place as the factory engine, or about 3/4" - 1" of clearance between the cylinder head and firewall. I mounted mine a bit too far forward because I was trying to match the shift holes in my cab, and if I were to do it over, I would have placed my engine back about another inch or so.
What we did on my buddies '85 is I kept the stock crossmember in the stock location, bolted the trans + t/case up, and then we lowered the engine into the bay and bolted it up to the bellhousing. Since the back of the 3RZ is completely vertical, just like the 22R, when it's mounted to the bellhousing in the stock location, it is the same exact distance from the firewall as was the 22R engine. :thumbs:
I have not measured the actual distance from the water pump pulley to the back of the engine block, but I would imagine it is within a 1/2" to the same as the 22R.

6 Do you hear feed back that the FJ-80 E locker is strong and reliable enough to handle 37" MTRs? What about Taco Rear TRD?
Well, the High Pinion Electric Locking differential is the strongest 4WD front 8" differential Toyota has ever offered here in the states, and the 8" E-locking rear diff is also the strongest 4WD rear 8" diff. Toyota has ever offered here in the states. People are running 44" tires on stock non-E-locking 8" Toy diffs, so yes it is more than adequate for mearly 37" tires and a 3RZ engine.
In fact, the 8" E-locking diff that I have in the back of my truck is stronger than the 8" non-E-locking diff that is in the back of my mothers 4.7l V8 iFORCE Tundra. So these E-locking 8" diffs can handle Toyota's biggest and baddest engine available today, and that's saying alot when you put those into a much lighter Hilux pickup-

7 Is FJ-80 63"wms to wms? Is TAco 61" wms to wms?
Yes, the FJ80 front diff is 63", but the Taco is only 60". Check out this post here for more WMS: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=11245.msg115501#msg115501

Regards,
BigMike

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: Aug 29, 2005, 11:10:21 PM »
My Baby turned 76,000 miles old the other day, but who knows how many times that's gone around?? Twice? Three times? :ack:

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: Aug 30, 2005, 04:13:17 AM »
Don't you know it's bad luck to take a flash picture inside the cab while driving at 70 MPH. :hammerhead:  :rofl2:
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

Toy4therock

• Marlin Crawler
  • I used to Crawl. I still do, but I used to, too.
« Reply #988 on: Sep 19, 2005, 05:32:27 PM »
Big Mike, I first must say I love your quote on common sense! If not for that how would anyone survive this life! Unfortunitly for those of us with more than an average excercised amount of this.Its just not enough at certain times and no matter the amounts we dig for needed knowledge its not there.Point in case toyota engines and in particular the 22RE.As Id found out when ever we dont excercise ours to the fullest extent due to the fact we figure others surely would in what we had bought so we wouldnt need work alot harder still.My case in point is the naby vacuum lines running amuck on the stock injection all maddness complicated by the fact the only diagram to be found! Wont sure as hell be in that manual we paid bug bucks for but more uderneth our now old and god only knows what in time besides the fact ink wasnt intended to survive any such durations of heat and water and batter explossions no less! And so when you will need it you wont find it! Along in any of the most important of any internal combustion engine and its oiling paths galleys plugs or anything other than the damned filter at best!And more if one were to use there common sense only at night time and when frustrated to hell by all the damned plugs in electrcial maddness made worse still in the act of god it will take most to ever figure out how that damned plug should ever come apart as its sole intention was no doubt! And so dont ever do what I had and cut the basturd off throwing it into the darkness of night! And worse into the now longer growing pile of trash created by the lack of what you had in two days pickup now cut to one for some recycling crap? So as you build that truck and buy alot of the many but not all that we must have and others will like.My trash pile grow to an enormous and long 25 feet long by three feet wide! Coverd by any old tarps that used to give me and my rig cover from sun and rain as I worked diligently day and night year after year no less and all more trying in vein to get one of four engines to roar and stay that way as one after the other all went to the way side due to some form of problem that wasnt ever clear to me other than they all died from that one same thing! Some form of oil starvation! And or in the first and last of that third! Being that I didnt buy or ues the more expensive factory diaprhamed oil filters which were the only ones that held an oil charge if at all.So everytime your engines started it starts dry and why? Due to some idiots worse idea in how to mount any oil filter and also never had to change it at all not to mention as often as we do as we use ours out in dry and dirty enviroment just as Id thought was the very reason why we bought them to begin with!!And then to add insult to a real lack of anything sort of pure uncare and plain stupidity! I stood before the owner and head engine builder of this so called engine shop? Telling them why I wanted to build my own this time  only that I lacked the hands on working knowledge of building not only one of these engines but any complete fourstroke from an oil pan up period.As Id toren down my big block ford in my flatbottom v-drive boat amoungest many other things done to it and many many a motorcycle including even learning computer and engine building on software designed by dragracers for them and the general public when it came out many years ago and is within 2% of a dyno when good numbers are used. And they were as both my harleys FLY!As the Hp went up by an amazing 1/3 for argument sake.Only felt like double for the real truth.And exactly where along in talking to many with alot more knowledge about engines than I will ever have!About strokes and porting and so forth.This and one very important fact! When tested in highschool and with zero working knowledge.I scored higher than all the rest at least in the first two years of highschool thats all I was told.But then you werent tested later!And what I scaored higher in was mechanics no less with electronics being my 2nd but not higher than all scores.Did I care about that? Hell no as all I could think of was that was the very last thing Id ever care to do for a living. But like it then or not this was and is the whole truth! Due to some strange reason? I seemed to be drawn into the engine world and liking it alot more than even realizing that I was doing that period. Why simple I did enjoy it and still do very much so!Just as we dont know one another at all.But from your photo its plain to see your a nice guy and one who enjoys himself and that is most likely good at what he does as a result! And again in what Ive seen as to your own build up tells me more.As does your living as a mechanic no doubt and then part time at your Im guessing fathers great business and another man who knows right from wrongs and is one smart cookie no doubt! As he is also real fiar and not at all greedy! And just as Id like to think that if we met each other some day would most likely get along well.Just as anyone who would know as anyone who had taken on what you certainly have in your trucks to date.Should appreciate the balls and knowledge that will certainly require!As I for one had no real knowledge ok just bigger balls and alot of pure common sense.And thats not at all enough when we tear into an entire truck like we have!As to date the only things Ive not taken apart are the transmission god bless and the transfercase which doesnt frieighten me as much or like an engine should have?But what can be said is how much I now know as a direct result and over by and large most except the top in performance is about all that Ive found.However if we are humble we also realize theres other general things which untill challenged we wont know ether as we never had to untill its called upon.And now and for me that would be without any question the oiling system on these engines!! As Im ready to put fire to the beast but first need oil pressure! And that Im not seeing no matter how hard I try or want to cry and get pissed!But I do know for a hard fact the pil galley plugs in the front and back are in there proper homes.And that my oil pickup tube and its screen are free clean and open as is the gasket between the flange on the pickup tube and the bottom of the block!As well the oil pump even not brand new isnt but a slightly used housing at best! And when I used a feeler guage as per manual its all far within its limitations.To the very point it may as well be brand new!PRV dont know as all I can say is its clean period.Id packed the pump twice as told by those in the real know.Only to find that did zero if anything and so theres a leak some place?And every bolt hole Ive checked is dry and appears a dead end and hole.So can you tell me what you know.Thank you and if I can be of any help at all I will sure try.Thanks Mike a friend  nether of us has met.Randy

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #989 on: Sep 19, 2005, 06:06:43 PM »
Don't you know it's bad luck to take a flash picture inside the cab while driving at 70 MPH. :hammerhead:  :rofl2:

Ha, ha, I did that when my 4Runner turned 200,000. I was on my way back from TDS.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you