Author Topic: oil leaks  (Read 5021 times)

yo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 38
  • Member since May '04
  • Runnin' to CRAWL
    • View Profile
oil leaks
« on: Jun 05, 2004, 05:09:17 PM »
Every time I park my rig i get a quarter sized puddle of oil under the rear of my engine.  It seems to be coming from right where the tranny and engine meet.  I have never had a tranny out and my service manual really doesn't give me much help. 

Also it looks like my seal on the back of the t-case is going out.  If anyone has any experience on this or there is a write up somewhere I would really appreciatte any help.  Thanks!

oops almost forgot I drive an 85 Runner w/ a 5 speed.
Happy Trails,
Joe - '85 4Runner - the body used to be clean

"Do you suppose a few ruts in the road or rocks in the path are going to stop us?"
- Apostle Paul, 64 AD

Prismo

• Online The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8282
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
Re: oil leaks
« Reply #1 on: Jun 05, 2004, 05:29:45 PM »
Yo!,
Is the oil 90 weight or engine oil leaking where the 2 meet?
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 05, 2004, 09:06:59 PM »
Could be a rear main seal for the engine.  The one at the back of the transfer case, is it were the rear driveline comes out?  I just replaced mine and it was easier then i though.  Just take the driveline off, take the flange off and then pry the seal out, pop the new seal in and then put the other stuff back on.  Easy as cake.

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 05, 2004, 09:11:10 PM »
yup sounds like a rear main seal thats not that bad ive ran my truck on a blown head gasket sense i owned the truck that motor wont die!!!!!!!! i just have to ceep an eye on the water level and i have a bad oil leak that i got to keep tabs on

TigerToy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 05, 2004, 09:42:48 PM »
My truck burns a quart of oil a week.  I think it helps with the gas mileage.   :laugh:

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 06, 2004, 11:33:34 AM »
oh i forgot about the bad brake fluid leak, i carry brake fluid, motor oil, gear oil, and water to keep up with all the leaks
 :smack:

TigerToy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 06, 2004, 11:34:43 AM »
LOL, Do we own the same truck?

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 06, 2004, 11:40:27 AM »
i dunno my truck is in my avatar 79 longbed

yo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '04
  • Runnin' to CRAWL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 08, 2004, 11:48:49 AM »
Thanks for the info on the t-case seal, I think I can tackle that one.  I will check on whether the oil at the front of the tranny is 90w or engine.
Happy Trails,

"Do you suppose a few ruts in the road or rocks in the path are going to stop us?"
- Apostle Paul, 64 AD

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #9 on: Jun 08, 2004, 01:08:01 PM »
I just replaced mine and it was easier then i though.  Just take the driveline off, take the flange off and then pry the seal out, pop the new seal in and then put the other stuff back on.  Easy as cake.

WAIT! Before you put that flange back on, PLEASE make sure that you take some mild sand paper (maybe 400 grit) and rough-up the surface where the seal will touch. If you do not do this, then the seal will not break-in and it will leak again.

Regards,
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

yo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '04
  • Runnin' to CRAWL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 08, 2004, 01:25:01 PM »
Hey thanks Big Mike would have never thought of that, but "maybe" 400 grit?
Happy Trails,

- Apostle Paul, 64 AD

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 08, 2004, 01:35:11 PM »
Is that too fine? Don't go under about 250 or so.. You just want to take out the "polished" surface left from the old seal before you introduce the new seal. Just scruff it up a bit and it should be good-

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 08, 2004, 01:39:31 PM »
Id use 320.  400 doesnt sould like much of a jump but it is.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 08, 2004, 03:13:25 PM »
try some emry cloth would that work mike?

yo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '04
  • Runnin' to CRAWL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jun 09, 2004, 06:31:42 PM »
Hey I hope some of you are still following this, I finally crawled under the rig today after work and the oil leaking at the front of the tranny feels like gear oil, and it smells like gear oil, soooooo, I'm thinking it is gear oil.

NEXT question, how big of a job to replace this seal or whatever it is up there leaking?
Happy Trails,

- Apostle Paul, 64 AD

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jun 09, 2004, 06:50:40 PM »
It pretty easy but it is time consuming.  You'll have to take your trans and t-case out to replace the front seal.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jun 10, 2004, 02:04:50 AM »
About equal to a clutch job I would say.. Gotta pull the trans out, remove the nose cone, pop out the old seal, hit the shaft with some sand paper, grease the new seal and install it...............

OHH THIS REMINDS ME!! With that Real T/Case output seal we were talking about, MAKE SURE that when ever you install a new seal, from cam to axle seals, that you GREASE THE NEW SEAL! This is important!! Just pack the groove with some grease and then put the seal in place.

...........then put everything back together. You dont have to drain trans or tc oil and in fact dont even separate the tc from the trans. Heck, even keep the crossmember bolted to the tc.

Heres some steps to give you an idea, and Im sure i will miss something:
1) Disconnect the battery.
2) Pull the ebrake or put down some blocks at the tires.
3) Shift the trans into 4th and tcase into 4WD high and pull the shifters out from the cab.
4) Remove speedocable from t/case and unplug reverse and 4WD light wires.
5) Unbolt rear driveline from t/case, and completely remove front drive line. Either mark the slip yokes or be sure that they do not come apart or your drive lines will be out of balance.
6) If this is an IFS, it may help to get the sway bar out of the way. That could be a pain later.
7) Unbolt starter and let it rest next to the block with wires attached. (that's why we disconnect the battery)
8 ) Unbolt clutch slave cylinder and let it hang around. Never undo any fluid pressure lines unless your replacing it.
9) Place a tranny jack under the crossmember and remove all 8 frame bolts.
10) Unbolt all visible bellhousing to engine bolts. Also check if you still have the exhaust hanger mount and remove that if necessary.
11) Lower the entire tcase/trans/engine down a bit with the jack so you can access the two upper 17mm bolts atop the bellhousing with a very long extension and your strongest air gun.
12) Now using help from someone else, or try to do it Rambo style and use your feet and apply pressure to the floor jack while your arms shake and pull the transmission off of the clutch disk and lower to your chest. The Trans weighs 100 dry, tcase is 80 dry, and add the crossmember. What ever oil is left is gotta be at least 10 lbs or so. Remember the jack will be supporting alot of the weight and you can handle the rest your self.

13) Now set the trans to your side and on the ground and climb out from underneath the rig. Slide the trans/tcase outta there and go to work on it.
14) Tilt the whole thing up a bit and rest it against a box or something. This is so the oil will not run out when we remove the nose cone.
15) Remove the clutch fork and release bearing. The clip can sometimes be tricky if its your first time so note how it comes off and be sure to put it back on correctly.
16) Get yourself a 12mm and remove the bolts to the nose cone and take the nose cone off. Its sometimes sticky from the silicone and a light tap with a soft rubber hammer to the side of the cone where the bearing slides is ok.
17) Now carefully use a flat head screw driver and remove the old seal. Be sure not to scratch and scar the input shaft or your screwed.
18) Lap some sand paper on the input shaft and put some grease on the new seal and slap it on. Make sure its mounted flat and even all around.

19) Now just do everything in reverse order.

Some notes on reinstalling:
-Make sure when you reseal the nose cone, that the mating surfaces are clean from any oil. Spray some brake or carb cleaner on a clean rag and wipe down the two surfaces before using silicone.
-I recommend against Blue and Orange silicone and advise Toyota Black or Super Gray silicone.
-After the nose cone is back on, if you are not in the presence of a politician (aka environmentalist) blow out everywhere inside the bellhousing and blow out all the dust from the clutch.
-Make sure you regrease the shift fork in three places: Where the ball joint pivots on the fork, and at the end of the two fingers of the fork where it touches the release bearing.
-If you have some antiseaze, its a nice idea to apply a meager amount to the splines of the trans input so the clutch disk can move freely.
-Remember we shifted the tcase and trans into gear before removing it? well that's because this can sometimes be the nastiest part right here: When you are installing the trans, you've gotta get both the angle correct and the splines to line up for the trans input to clutch disk before it wil install. So get some help, or again if you are he-man, brace the trans with your knee caps, and while one hand is turning the front output flange on the tcase, use your other hand to "gustimate" the correct approach angle of the input and use your knees to support and lift the trans into place. If you are a regular joe like me, then use your brain power and use a couple of floor jacks to get it into place while you turn the flanges to align the splines. It can be a bugger and your arms will turn to spaghetti but dont give up! keep trying or your have to do it all over again with tired arms.

I think thats a good summary. Im sure we will get 101 more suggestions but thats a idea of the job. It'll take ya all day if its your first time so plan for a whole day and dont rush it. Take your time and learn how things work. Your be a happier man when its all done :thumbs:

BigMike
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2004, 02:36:54 AM by BigMike »

yo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '04
  • Runnin' to CRAWL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jun 10, 2004, 07:23:16 PM »
Hey thanks Big Mike that was a great write up and really gave me a good idea of the scope of the job.  I'm thinking this is going to wait until I do the dual t-case install - get it all at once, have a freind over and slam dunk it.
Happy Trails,

- Apostle Paul, 64 AD

Prismo

• Online The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8282
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jun 14, 2004, 11:37:28 AM »
The only thing I have to add: Double check tightness of transmission bolts after driving it some.
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

yo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '04
  • Runnin' to CRAWL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jun 14, 2004, 02:02:54 PM »
uhhh is there a story or a lesson here?
Happy Trails,

- Apostle Paul, 64 AD

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jun 14, 2004, 02:10:40 PM »
Both. That's the actual procedure of replacing the front transmission seal and its a good story to let you know whats involved!

Regards,
BigMike