We currently are not offering Customer Support on our Forum.
Please use our Store website for: Customer Contact.

Author Topic: Marlin Crawler MC09 TacoSupreme vs. V8 Tundra  (Read 18201 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Marlin Crawler MC09 TacoSupreme vs. V8 Tundra
« on: Jul 16, 2007, 11:35:20 AM »
Tuesday morning of last week we get a call from Joe, a V8 Tundra customer, who is up on Rubicon. "I think I broke your Crawler, Marlin!"

In his usual fashion, Marlin requested time off and after a short shop meeting, was granted permission to help the customer on the trail. Marlin checked his truck over and began loading it. At this point we are not sure what broke, so spare parts were gathered including a good used chain drive t/case.

Late Tuesday afternoon Marlin is finally ready to leave for Rubicon, about a 6 hour drive. A customer and family friend James "Craftsman" joins Marlin and they head north in Marlin's 1980 Crawler Truck towards the con.

Marlin arrived at Rubicon around midnight. The initial report was that the customer had broke down at the north end of the Bowl. So they aired down and headed for the bowl. When they got to the Bowl, the customer was no where to be found. At this time it was very late, 1 or 2 am, so they decided to call it a night and out came the sleeping bags. Marlin said it was cold and wet up there, raining Tuesday on the con.

The next morning (Wednesday) they decided to head towards Ellis Creek. On the way in, they ran into a Jeep in the Bowl with a broken D35 rear axle. Out came the tools and Marlin and Craftsman quickly got to business.

Here is Craftsman welding on the rear axle shaft:

Throughout the entire day, Marlin and James exercised proper safety precautions. Here welding in a large open area far from any fire hazards. They brought oil spill kits, two fire extinguishers, and hauled more trash out than they brought in with them. Thanks for that guys! :thumbs:

The axle fractured before it broke, so there was ample surface area to weld to. The Jeep had a detroit rear locker, so the decision was made to grind down the splines turning the truck into a 3WD, and have the C-clip hold the axle and tire in place. Everything went well and Marlin and Craftsman were soon on their way.

They got to the creek, but there still was no sign of the Tundra. Continuing on they finally found the broken rig just beyond Walker Hill. The customer was very grateful when he realized that Marlin had drove his Crawler truck all the way from Fresno to help him out!

When they pulled the transfer case, here is what they saw! (Craftsman says he is sorry for the blurry image :slap:)

He sheared the input to his transfer case!

The piece of input that broke off into our coupler was just 3/4"!

I would LOVE to see a single row bearing give the coupler enough support to hold onto that input without stripping out!!

This has actually become a recent concern with the Tacoma/4Runner and Tundra transfer cases. We have had Tacoma customers break their t/case input gear, but this is the first of our Tundra Crawler owners to break theirs. Being in a V8 adds more intrigue to it all :)

Marlin said the coupler looked perfect so back together the truck went! They got the Toyota transfer case that Marlin brought with him installed and the job was done. :beerchug:

It was a beautiful day up there (always is when it rains) and the Automatic Tundra was back to normal Crawling at 173:1 once again :thumbs:

On their way back out, they came across a 1973 International Scout with a broken driveline. Little did these guys know what this red Toyota truck with Marlin Crawler badges all over it was all about :)

So out came the grinder and welder, and Marlin and Craftsman got back to work and repaired the Scout.

Great work Marlin and Craftsman! Wish I could have joined ya on a weekday nonetheless!

Regards,
BigMike
« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2007, 01:12:14 PM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: Marlin Crawler MC09 TacoSupreme vs. V8 Tundra
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16, 2007, 11:43:01 AM »
that is awesome....

there are few if any other companies that would do that for a customer..
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 2007, 11:47:20 AM »
Infernal posted  the other side of this  great story  just  the other day

Just about everyone knows the quality of  Marlin as a person,so here's another great story to add to the many,taken right out of the TTORA board from this past weekend:

for the “book” but I feel this story should be told. I drove over 1700 miles (one-way) in my red '01 Tundra to meet, party and wheel with ya all and instead I met up with ole man Murphy and he kicked my ass a little. I had previously e-mailed Mike and advised I would be late getting to the starting gate but I would catch up to the group before Buck Lake. I've done the Rubicon previously with this Tundra and I felt I could easily make up a couple hours on a large group. My rig is 3-linked up front with a Spidertrac 9" housing and tubes with a Hi9 3rd - solid axle 60 knuckles and C's on the corners and Bobby's Dana 60 birfs and axles, 4-linked rear with the same housing and 3rd member, ARB lockers and coilovers all around on 35" Krawlers. She's also got the Marlin Crawler 4.7 coupled to a Taco V6 transfer case with twin sticks (done by Marlin) and is well armored. I was planning on running everything clean as a whistle and hoping I could get a good spot from one of you through little sluice, as I didn't attempt that puppy last time around. Well, everything was going fine and I had just breezed up Walker hill and on that little tiny good for nothing rock pile about a quarter mile west of little sluice I broke the output shaft on my transfer case. I was dead in the water and flat flopped at that point. I'm grateful to Matt (a TTora member) who came along and winched me back to a location off the trail so others could get past. (I was monitoring the CB ch and heard the last group was just talking about taking the bypass around little sluice, so I was real close at that point to catching up.) I then called Richard Stubbs who advised he would make a couple calls looking for my type of set up and upon locating one he would be on his way. He suggested I call Marlin and get some parts coming his way as a backup. I then called Marlin and after explaining my dilemma he just flat out stated "It will take me a couple hours to finish up a project here, load my truck up with everything you might need and I'll be on my way to your location." Marlin has a reputation second to none for customer service and is well respected in the 4X4 community as you all know but this type of service from anyone but Marlin is unheard of. I then called Stubbs back and advised Marlin was on his way to which Richard replied something like I would expect that from Marlin as that’s just the way that guy does business. I then got back to Marlin about an hour later and advised Marlin that a rig needed an 80 series tie rod end and he said he would pack a couple ends along and other parts for anyone else needing parts that he stocks. Marlin showed up with enough parts and equipment to sink a battleship. What a terrific person he is, on his way to me he and James (a friend of Marlin's and a great guy) stopped and repaired a couple of jeeps, as one needed his driveshaft welded while the other snapped an axle, which both were welded back into working condition. He then swaps out my transfer case after taking a look at the crawler, which was still in perfect shape. (Marlin advised he's only seen one other snapped output shaft like mine - that was on richard Foster's rig - so you're not alone out there richard) On our way out we roll up on a group of jeeps from Arizona and a guy walks up to Marlin with a sad face and asks "you wouldn't just happen to have an on-bound welder would you?" They snapped an axle, which Marlin welded up and everything was good with the group in less than half an hour and everyone was grateful for Marlin’s help and expertise. The guy owning the broke jeep offered Marlin $$$$ and in his typical style he would say "If you put that damn money back in your pocket I will shake your hand." He absolutely refused to accept money from anyone, including me. He spent a lot of money just for gas on this rescue mission let alone his time and expertise. I somehow will make it right with Marlin even though I know he will give me :pokinit: over it. He and his shop, Marlin Crawler, http://www.marlincrawler.com/ will always be the best of the best in my book. Wish I could have caught up with you guys but maybe next year I’ll get to the starting gate on time, mean while just join me in letting everyone know that Marlin Crawler customer service is the best on the planet.

Joe 
« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2007, 12:06:15 PM by 79coyotefrg »
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #3 on: Jul 16, 2007, 11:49:36 AM »
That is why I buy from the man. :yesnod:
Marlin requested time off and after a short shop meeting, was granted permission
Just strikes me funny when "Marlin" has to request time off from working at "Marlin Crawler" :greengrin:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #4 on: Jul 16, 2007, 06:29:48 PM »
He's got a job to do too, gotta make sure everything is covered. I don't think I could arrange to get myself some free time right now and I run the place I'm in.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

UKMyers

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 188
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 16, 2007, 06:37:27 PM »
Awesome article Mike! I was kinda hoping Marlin would roll into Rubicon Springs Wed morning with and FJ80 tie rod end but I figured the chances of that were slim considering how much farther it was to come in. My jimmy rig bolted on tie rod worked to the pavement where a fellow wheeler towed it on his trailer down to South Lake for me. I have spare rod ends in my tool box now!

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #6 on: Jul 16, 2007, 09:17:29 PM »
I heard about that from Joe. TREs are simple enough to carry and yet even I don't have one. I think your experience has also motivated me to do the same.

The last time I ran Dusy, I rolled my passengers front outer beed off the rim without knowing and continued to drive. It was in a very slow and technical area, so I didn't exactly go far with it like that, but I noticed that my drivers front tire seemed to be working really hard for traction. That is when I got out and discovered the cause.

Because I drove on it like that, I ended up damaging a valve steam. A simple little valve stem. I had to use permatex and sand paper to get it to seat properly, and even was unsure if it would stay in place once air pressure returned.

Well, my permatex fix got me home safely, and now I carry like 10 valve stems.

It's sometimes the small little stuff that can ruin an entire weekend! And the crazy thing is that Marlin always seems to have everything needed for a proper repair.  :turtle:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

papa mike

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 328
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 16, 2007, 09:24:26 PM »
That is why I buy from the man. :yesnod:Just strikes me funny when "Marlin" has to request time off from working at "Marlin Crawler" :greengrin:
kinda sounds like slave drivers  ,,,lol

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3687
  • Male Posts: 2,847
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Jul 17, 2007, 08:17:52 AM »
Now that is customer service!
Time to go wheelin!

weirdtimes_7

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,032
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 17, 2007, 08:37:32 AM »
HOLY CRAP!!!! thats the coolest person i have ever heard of in my entire life.. i love MC and plan on buying from this company for years and years to come..

military_stang
:respect:

BirdDog

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 284
  • Male Posts: 239
  • Member since Jan '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 18, 2007, 11:57:04 PM »
I heard about that from Joe. TREs are simple enough to carry and yet even I don't have one. I think your experience has also motivated me to do the same.

The last time I ran Dusy, I rolled my passengers front outer beed off the rim without knowing and continued to drive. It was in a very slow and technical area, so I didn't exactly go far with it like that, but I noticed that my drivers front tire seemed to be working really hard for traction. That is when I got out and discovered the cause.

Because I drove on it like that, I ended up damaging a valve steam. A simple little valve stem. I had to use permatex and sand paper to get it to seat properly, and even was unsure if it would stay in place once air pressure returned.

Well, my permatex fix got me home safely, and now I carry like 10 valve stems.

It's sometimes the small little stuff that can ruin an entire weekend! And the crazy thing is that Marlin always seems to have everything needed for a proper repair.  :turtle:

This all sounds very familiar, like a bad dream I once had.

As you know Mike your Dad is the best. This is just one more story about a guy who's life is all about helping people & not just those who buy from him.

Thanks Marlin for helping me out all those times in the past when I couldn't afford to buy anything from you or pay you for your advice , You are the Best.

Oh & a bigger Thanks to Christine the one who puts up with all of Marlins giving, giving & more giving  & all the last minute overnight rescues.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2007, 01:34:33 AM »
wow.. marlin has outdone himself.
id love to meet him next fall.

hopefully im not a victim of the MCR breakage.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2007, 09:43:32 PM »
Awesome. :)  Oh - the important thing in those pictures is the camping gear with several days backup supply and the CB radio/Cellphone. 

MC could just do that every 2-3 months and do enough word of mouth advertizing to probably open a second shop in a short time iof they wanted to :)

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2007, 10:00:30 PM »
 :thumbs:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2007, 06:44:24 AM »
MC could just do that every 2-3 months and do enough word of mouth advertizing to probably open a second shop in a short time iof they wanted to :)
So you haven't heard about the new satellite shop opening up at Robbs Resort? :greengrin:

cruzila

• Go go cruzila!
  • Hawk
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,848
  • Member since May '02
  • MC20/21 Toybox #002 2.28 = 154:1
    • View Profile
    • MTA
« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2007, 07:01:18 AM »
In his usual fashion, Marlin requested time off and after a short shop meeting, was granted permission to help the customer on the trail. Marlin checked his truck over and began loading it. At this point we are not sure what broke, so spare parts were gathered including a good used chain drive t/case.

And he did not call me, I see how I rate.
If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

Friends of Eldorado National Forest

big ron

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2007, 05:44:51 PM »
 now that is what I call great customer service, my hats off to you marlin :beer: :beer: hope to see you on the trail sometime :turtle:

Jaysen

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -20
  • Male Posts: 773
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jun 18, 2008, 09:35:04 PM »
I got to say that the best CUSTOMER SERVICE I SEEN OR HEARD MARLIN THE BEST!!!
95 22RE. Toyota Ext.Cab SAS. Dual Case.
1988 Honda Civic 4dr lx,
2007 Honda Ruckus scooter

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #18 on: Jun 18, 2008, 11:19:46 PM »
thats awesome, i bet marlin jsut wanted to go wheelin though... :gap:

but seriously that is AWESOME, dorve 6 hours and fixed a buinch of different rigs, regardless of who they were.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

RCKSQRL

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 588
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Viva La Yota!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Aug 08, 2008, 06:14:55 PM »
just another reason to buy from Marlin Crawler!
'85 EFI Runner
4.3 with 700R4- for sale
5.29 detroit F/R
Front 3 Link with air shocks
rear 4 Link
Custom Fuel cell
Crawler #719, rear with 4.70 # 677,
Twin stick
Skys manufacturing T-case crossmember

6 point cage modified with harness bar, dash bar and PRP seats mounted to cage
2 feet chopped off the back

It seems it is never done........

in works for new body and exo, motor and trans swap...

Mtn. Toy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 86
  • Member since Jul '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Aug 25, 2008, 04:59:13 PM »
I'd say thats .... Top Notch customer service :thumbs:

ninja turtle

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 38
  • Male Posts: 1,072
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Aug 25, 2008, 06:17:33 PM »
 :bowdown: that is unheard of. marlin, you are the man!!!!

lucky7

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 303
  • Male Posts: 778
  • Member since Sep '07
  • CAN'T POLISH A TURD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Aug 25, 2008, 08:15:37 PM »
Marlin is the man i hope someone tipped him :thumbs:

Flatty

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sep 23, 2008, 09:37:33 PM »
I know this was from a while back, but let me tell you...  This customer service is why I will be running a Marlin case behind ANY rig I build next.  I don't care if I am running a small block with 60's, I will be throwing in a Marlin Crawler.  I can't think of a better company to support.  GREAT JOB Marlin.

dIma