Author Topic: 1982 rockcrawler/racecar  (Read 80040 times)

82 HiLux

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 81
  • Male Posts: 750
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
1982 rockcrawler/racecar
« on: Apr 03, 2007, 10:12:36 AM »
Hey guys Ive been building on my 82 for a year now....its made huuuuge progress from when I got it. Ive got a few pictures of it from the carmart with my cell phone.  Although its not an awesome crawler yet, it definatley crawls.  Ive got stock t cases and stock gears.   :therethere:
Suspension flexes a lot...ill try to get a pic some time of that.
Later today Ill go take a picture of my truck sitting out front.  Ive been meaning to start a build thread for a long time now.
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2009, 09:30:00 PM by 82 HiLux »
82 hilux, bobbed, really fast 22r, 2 transfer cases, ARB's, 5.29's, 37" MTR's. Custom everything.

tom w.

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 760
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
Re: 82 build
« Reply #1 on: Apr 08, 2007, 07:40:11 PM »
sweet

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Apr 12, 2007, 11:58:53 AM »
33s are :gay:
I need to move my front axle forward atleast 2 inches, but I welded in my ifs steering box  :dunno:
82 hilux, bobbed, really fast 22r, 2 transfer cases, ARB's, 5.29's, 37" MTR's. Custom everything.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 12, 2007, 02:07:32 PM »
 :cheese: I like the camo!  :yesnod:

I used some stock FJ tail lights on my flatbed....turned out pretty nice.. just an idea  :think:

RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Apr 12, 2007, 02:22:31 PM »
yesterday i wired up some led blinkers and some tail lights. ill take a picture later, im not at home. they work great.  but since the leds hardly use any power, they blink really fast. its pretty annoying.

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Apr 26, 2007, 11:41:21 PM »
I havent done anything except drive on the street for a long time now.  My buddy just got his lisence and were gonna go wheeling all the time now.  He has a 67 jeep m715. Its a freakin beast on fullsize axles. Id rather him have a toyota of course so he could actually keep up with me, but oh well. No one here has 4x4s :(

Anyways I had a simple question.

What do you guys reccomend for a front spring setup? I want to move my front axle forward, wich means I willl probably have to cut out my IFS steering mounts and reinforce the frame and make new mounting holes :hammer:.  I want to move the front axle forward atleast 2 inches.
Im thinking of toyota rears, becuase I already have 1 pair from my chevy spring swap, and another pair would be easy to get.  Ive heard wagoneer springs move the axle forward a lot.
Any ideas for me?
Thanks dudes

tom w.

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 27, 2007, 10:26:32 AM »
i love how the rears turned out on mine. i'm not sure how much they moved it forward (with the hanger) but it was a good couple inches. and they way outflex the chevys in the rear.

are you gonna use the stock hangers, or put a drop hanger on there?

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Apr 27, 2007, 06:01:35 PM »
what did you use in the rear packs upfront? I want to use the rears because they are cheap and i hear they flex like a mofo.
I want to get/make a drop hanger for stonger spring attachment.  stock hanger and welds are girl thingy.  I want to make some banana shackles like Bud's http://www.budbuilt.com/new/shackles.html
When I weld my shocks at 45degrees and get 14"ers instead of 12, I think my chevys are gonna flex a ton. If they max out and I have more shock left Ill get longer shackles or do a buggy setup. They dont flex much after the flatbed :smack:.  When I get a toolbox and am loaded with gear itll flex more.

tom w.

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 27, 2007, 07:05:43 PM »
uh... we used the stock pack from an '87 runner and then the second and third from the stock '82 pack.
as it sits the leafs are almost flat, but i think it's perfect.

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: 82 build: QUESTION!
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2007, 09:15:20 PM »
ok so I figured this is the best place to ask a question.

a while ago the wire broke in half on my manifold o2 sensor and Im just getting around to fixing it.
so i went to connect it again and put a new plug connector on it, and i cant find the dam other half of it. i have the wire coming off the sensor, but i cant find the wire that goes to the computer.

WHERE THE HELL IS IT LOCATED!??!!??!
i looked in all the wiring looms on the drivers half of the engine bay and i cant find a fkucing wire laying around or hidden in/under anything. i know its there, because i saw it when it first came apart. i dont know where the cfku it went and its making me mad because it just DISAPPEARED.
im gonna look up a wiring diagram but i dont think ill find one.
help guys!  :willynilly:
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 09:28:34 PM by 82 HiLux »

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: 82 build: QUESTION!
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2007, 09:30:05 PM »
better yet..

does anyone have a wiring diagram of a 22r or even just the smog computer? i need the wiring from the smog computer so i can find where this wire is hiding.
if i have a diagram, the hunt will last about 30 seconds.
help me this is a  P I T A and its making my truck very confused. i already am missing my cat and that sensor

83yota

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 372
  • Member since Mar '04
  • rollin my nike's
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2007, 10:00:40 PM »
i like the simplicity of your bed good cheap build (BUDGET)
85 toyta 4runner Soon to be full widths... i hope http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=62935.0

90 toyota runner Very sadly gone
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=75563.60

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2007, 10:29:18 PM »
trust me i know its budget. im a high school kid and i make 90 dollars a week. half of that goes to gas. what do you expect?

truck wheels like crazy and is fun to drive, so im happy. NO BODY likes my flat bed so far, NO ONE. atleast i like it! it works for what i use it for: strapping gear to.

its not permenant.

also this is the first vehicle of mine i have modified. its mostly a learning truck, but all is going well. everything works and more stuff works than when i bought it so thats fine with me. its just a toyota anyways

tom w.

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2007, 10:38:38 PM »
trust me i know its budget. im a high school kid and i make 90 dollars a week. half of that goes to gas. what do you expect?

truck wheels like crazy and is fun to drive, so im happy. NO BODY likes my flat bed so far, NO ONE. atleast i like it! it works for what i use it for: strapping gear to.

its not permenant.

also this is the first vehicle of mine i have modified. its mostly a learning truck, but all is going well. everything works and more stuff works than when i bought it so thats fine with me. its just a toyota anyways

i probably make less than you do.

the important thing is that it works for you. (the flat bed)

and there's no such thing as JUST a toyota...

83yota

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 372
  • Member since Mar '04
  • rollin my nike's
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2007, 11:42:16 PM »
true dat
85 toyta 4runner Soon to be full widths... i hope http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=62935.0

90 toyota runner Very sadly gone
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=75563.60

tom w.

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2007, 07:44:50 AM »
where do you live anyways?

oh, and more pictures.       !

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2007, 04:56:22 PM »
i live in beautiful but extremely expensive wine country in california. santa rosa to be particular. i havent been wheeling in soooooo long its killing me. i dont have any friends with trucks. my buddy has a 03 ford with a lift and muds, but its a ford. and it has ifs. so it pretty much sucks. and hes an :moon: and only goes wheeling when theres no way i can. ive been parking on curbs just to drive over something. i hate where i live, its not for me. i want to live where theres less people in one area and everyone knows everyone and drinks beer all the time.
i love my truck, it just needs a lot more power. aka a new motor. i want to go v8 with fullsize axles and 38s.

what do you guys want pictures of?

tom w.

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2007, 04:59:21 PM »
how bout some action shots?

70 Cam Guy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 115
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2007, 09:16:42 PM »
i live in beautiful but extremely expensive wine country in california. santa rosa to be particular. i havent been wheeling in soooooo long its killing me. i dont have any friends with trucks. my buddy has a 03 ford with a lift and muds, but its a ford. and it has ifs. so it pretty much sucks. and hes an :moon: and only goes wheeling when theres no way i can. ive been parking on curbs just to drive over something. i hate where i live, its not for me. i want to live where theres less people in one area and everyone knows everyone and drinks beer all the time.

Santa Rosa?  I was up there 2 weekends ago picking up the first round of parts for my '87 SAS project.  A guy had front and rear axles from an '85 as well as the trans/tcase and driveshaft still attached.  He lived on Brigham off hwy 12, really cool guy.  He had a load of other yota parts from various other projects.  I live in the east bay in Walnut Creek.

I'm still waiting for clutch parts from Marlin to get here.  I painted the rear bumper today :)
I need to swap out my trans because the bearings are really making a racket.  The new front bumper and winch should (hopefully) be here this week.  I am probably getting my welder in the next week so I can start in on the front axle  :banana:

If you need more money, try finding a job as a server at a restaurant.  It won't be fun but you can make decent money if the place is busy.  You can also check if the local tire places need part-time help

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2007, 10:11:35 PM »
how bout some action shots?
you mean of my truck, right? :bumpinbutts:
haha jk

i wish my truck could get some action....theres no way i can. the only local place i had to wheel, which i must say SUCKED ASS, is now completely fenced off because they are gonna start building houses on it.  if i go wheeling ill take pictures.  ive only been wheeling in my dreams since october. :down: its sooooo incredibly depressing not going wheeling. i hate it. GAH

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2007, 10:18:21 PM »
all of these are just different views of the same thing. my e brake is broken and this was one of the only things i could flex on without the truck rolling away.
this is at the construction site i have mentioned before...i found an open spot and was hella sneaky and wheeled it.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 10:27:36 PM by 82 HiLux »

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2007, 10:29:31 PM »
front springs are stock with a :stopit: add-a-leaf lift.  I didnt put it in, i bought it like that. It works ok so i havent hurried to replace it. rear springs will be put up front soon.

notice how the flat bed in the back eliminates most of the flex. NO WEIGHT=NO FLEX.  Im considering taking 1 of the 3 chevy leaves out and making long shackles to have flat springs and a lot more flex for the less weight.
my 12" stock position shocks are limiting the flex by about 6 inches AT LEAST.

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2007, 10:32:49 PM »
almost rubbing. if i had gear loaded down it would rub. maybe i need wheel spacers  :headscratch:

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2007, 10:33:35 PM »
this is why im putting rears upfront with a drop hanger. gonna move the front axle forward hopefully 2-3 inches.
it looks weird but thats my finger not being able to go inbetween the drivers front tire and firewall. obviously flexed. wheel straight.
stock sucks
im so glad i spent the money on high steer and power steering. BEST UPGRADE YET! makes wheeling actually possible, whereas stock push pull with manual steering was an aerobic workout and not to mention DIDNT EVEN STEER.

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2007, 10:34:56 PM »
rear flex isnt too bad, considering stock shock position and damn near nothing on the rear end of the truck.  the chevys would flex so much more if i took a leaf out and put some 14" shocks at a 45 degree angle!
that will be soon in june

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2007, 10:41:07 PM »
because i know someone will ask, I DIDNT DO THE CAMO. its getting painted soon. it is hands down the worst camo job i have EVER seen, by the previous owner of the truck. its almost embarassing...

tom w.

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2007, 10:51:44 PM »
what you need is an IFS rear end. 1 1/2" wider on each side...

rears up front will make an awesome difference, too.

i ain't got much else to say, except that i like it.

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2007, 11:02:50 PM »
I was heading down the lines of fullsize axles in the future. I want to go with big tires hopefully like 37s or something...and if figure if im gonna spend all that money on new axles, i might as well just get dana 60s.

ill be sure to take pictures of mods i do this summer. my buddy has a welder so thats a good thing

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: 82 build QUESTION!
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2007, 12:28:11 AM »
ok so I figured this is the best place to ask a question.

a while ago the wire broke in half on my manifold o2 sensor and Im just getting around to fixing it.
so i went to connect it again and put a new plug connector on it, and i cant find the dam other half of it. i have the wire coming off the sensor, but i cant find the wire that goes to the computer.

WHERE THE HELL IS IT LOCATED!??!!??!
i looked in all the wiring looms on the drivers half of the engine bay and i cant find a fkucing wire laying around or hidden in/under anything. i know its there, because i saw it when it first came apart. i dont know where the cfku it went and its making me mad because it just DISAPPEARED.
im gonna look up a wiring diagram but i dont think ill find one.
help guys!   

fatt_matt

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -3
  • Male Posts: 545
  • Member since Mar '07
  • jeeps and toys can get along
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2007, 03:07:29 PM »
wow.. a d60 on a toy..

that thing could be hit by a bloody meteor and come out workign!
Jeep