Author Topic: Keith Black Pistons...  (Read 9168 times)

yotatilla

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -160
  • Male Posts: 182
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Pretend Mechanic
    • View Profile
Keith Black Pistons...
« on: Dec 01, 2005, 05:43:40 PM »
Hey guys,

Let me start this by saying that this may sound like a noob question, but I HAVE done searching, and I havent found quite what I'm looking for. As a few of you may know, I had a timing chain let go in my 86 4Runner 22RE late in the summer. Since it is an integral head and my Mom said that the engine made awful noises before it died, I can only assume that havoc was wreaked on my pistons. I plan on getting a new head all together. Since the engine is ripe with only 230,000 miles on it, I figure a new set of pistons couldnt hurt. I have heard great things about Keith Black pistons, and I was wondering if these are useable in my 22RE, or are they a 22R only mod, like the 20R head. I am going to be putting a cam in it as well. I am on the hunt for one of these as well, as TRD only lists a 22R cam. God, I feel like a noob, but I'm not, I swear! I know that there are plenty of guys on here who have done engine build ups, so if you guys could chime in, that would be great. Thanks,

Sam
2 1986 4Runners+
1 solid Axle+
2 transfercases+
4 35x14.5 Thornbirds+
2 Aussie Lockers+
1 Marlin SAS kit=
UBER 4RUNNER

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Keith Black Pistons...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2005, 06:40:22 PM »
ive got the .060 over variety,   i am almost positive they have efi pistons  for your 22RE,  just make sure you file the top ring for extra gap
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2005, 06:47:49 PM »
huh?  22R and 22RE(as long as you've got pistons for an early block or a late block) are EXACTLY the same engine for the purpose of pistons.  knock yourself out :biggthumpup:

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2005, 07:05:05 PM »
If you're gonna drop coin on a new head and thinking "well, I'm there already, so I might as well put pistons in too", you're wasting your time.  You said yourself its got 230K on it.  If you drop on a fresh top end, with that [new] compression,  you'll be picking the pistons out of your fenderwell.  If you're gonna do it, just build the engine(rods, mains, rings, check your clearances, etc).   :soapbox:

seanc

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -357
  • Male Posts: 347
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Wheeler For Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2005, 10:56:22 PM »
do it right the first time and never have to do it again, atleast not for another 300,000...
You win some, you lose some.

yotatilla [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Pretend Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2005, 06:54:15 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys. I am glad to hear that I can get those pistons for my app. I plan on doing a complete rebuild with the kit from engnbldr.com . I will most likely be getting the 268 degree lift cam, because this truck is not going to be a strictly off road truck, it may see some highway. Any ideas where I could get a set of these KB pistons, and what the average cost is? I have looked around, but I am having some trouble getting suppliers. Thanks again,

Sam
2 1986 4Runners+
1 solid Axle+
2 transfercases+
4 35x14.5 Thornbirds+
2 Aussie Lockers+
1 Marlin SAS kit=
UBER 4RUNNER

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2005, 07:57:26 AM »
Beckracing.com

dude,  dont get that sucky cam
:nonono:  LCEngineering.com
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2005, 07:59:36 AM »
and dont pay shipping on engineblder stuff,  arent you in Mass.  just get your engine kit from your local Napa 

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2005, 09:19:01 AM »
and dont pay shipping on engineblder stuff,  arent you in Mass.  just get your engine kit from your local Napa 

just don't use there head gasket. :twocents:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

yotatilla [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Pretend Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2005, 09:39:17 AM »
Again guys, thanks. This is why I post, so that I am not shootin in the dark. The only thing about the LC cam is the fact that it is twice the price of the engine builder cam. Is it that big of a difference, or is this a definate must do? I could just as easily go to NAPA, guess I will do that. I figured since I could get the cam with the kit, that would be good, but since that cam isnt good, I guess not. I was also wondering which LC cam would be a good choice for decent offroad power but also highway power? The 268 from engnbldr said some highway on it, and I was wondering what this translated to for the LC. I was looking at the KB pistons, and it was saying that they are not for sale on pollution controlled vehicles. Is this true? This is kind of important, since MA has very strict emsisions policies. I don't think that I would be able to run those, as getting a sticker with an SAS is tough enough, let alone failing emmisions. I had planned on getting the head gasket from Toyota anyway, I have heard bad things about aftermarket ones. You guys are a big help, I appreciate it. Thanks.

Sam
2 1986 4Runners+
1 solid Axle+
2 transfercases+
4 35x14.5 Thornbirds+
2 Aussie Lockers+
1 Marlin SAS kit=
UBER 4RUNNER

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 2,803
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2005, 10:27:59 AM »
If you're gonna drop coin on a new head and thinking "well, I'm there already, so I might as well put pistons in too", you're wasting your time.  You said yourself its got 230K on it.  If you drop on a fresh top end, with that [new] compression,  you'll be picking the pistons out of your fenderwell.  If you're gonna do it, just build the engine(rods, mains, rings, check your clearances, etc).   :soapbox:
Wot he said :imwithstupid: been there done that :yupyup:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2005, 11:02:48 AM »
Again guys, thanks. This is why I post, so that I am not shootin in the dark. The only thing about the LC cam is the fact that it is twice the price of the engine builder cam. Is it that big of a difference, or is this a definate must do? I could just as easily go to NAPA, guess I will do that. I figured since I could get the cam with the kit, that would be good, but since that cam isnt good, I guess not. I was also wondering which LC cam would be a good choice for decent offroad power but also highway power? The 268 from engnbldr said some highway on it, and I was wondering what this translated to for the LC. I was looking at the KB pistons, and it was saying that they are not for sale on pollution controlled vehicles. Is this true? This is kind of important, since MA has very strict emsisions policies. I don't think that I would be able to run those, as getting a sticker with an SAS is tough enough, let alone failing emmisions. I had planned on getting the head gasket from Toyota anyway, I have heard bad things about aftermarket ones. You guys are a big help, I appreciate it. Thanks.

Sam
the enginebldr cam aint much if anything over the stock cam,  LVengineerings efi cam is twice the cost but trust me you will enjoy it alot, i have the LC starge 2 racingcam  and :woohoo:   go down to the Glen's budget rebuild    thread and listen to my cam  ,  the efi PRO cam is like $170  but it will really increase your horsepower ive seen so many guys on here build engines with all bling parts then put a enginebldr cam in and it doesnt have anything much over befor the build

the LC cams  are higher lift and duration, but dont have to have special adjustments on your rocker geometry to make them working

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2005, 11:04:27 AM »
my keithblack pistons looked identical to the stock pistons  , only difference is the spacing on the rings   and the alloy in the piston

hi silicon alloy

:eyebrow:   silicon is good for pistons and :boobs:

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2005, 03:10:36 PM »
got my cam from NAPA, don't remember the specks butt at the time I thought it was close to LC stage 2 cam. cost me $100.00
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2005, 09:01:07 PM »
i have the EB 268 "torker" cam and it lives up to its name.  starts to pull around 1500 and rips up to about 5500.

kvn85

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -84
  • Male Posts: 90
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2005, 07:52:27 PM »
Where did you get your Keith Black pistons
85 yota

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 594
  • Male Posts: 2,122
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2005, 08:13:49 PM »
I got my cam reground, cost me 30 bucks, all they had was an rv1 profile to grind it to, does what I need, by the way, the engnbldr headgasket seemed to be one of the better gaskets to buy, look just like what all the local shops were using cept for the firing ring being larger on engnbldr
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Dec 10, 2005, 09:17:55 AM »
the EB gasket is basically a copy of the factory toyota one that they started using in the late 80s.  its got the steel slipper plate on the head side so when the head expands it doesn't shred the gasket(basically my idea of what it does).  supposedly it helps make it more forgiving when it comes to less than ideal machine work on the head/block.  the only thing the toyota gasket has that this doesn't, is that on the toyota gasket it seems to have some rubbery clear coating on the slip plate.

i've ran both, and both work great for me(toyota on my built engine, engnbldr gasket on my dd truck)

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2005, 09:50:40 AM »
JE forged baby :thumbs:
Im an OG

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 594
  • Male Posts: 2,122
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2005, 05:09:52 PM »
My trucks only got 10k on it so I dont know how well it will hold up, but I was very pleased with how well things went together and how well he was to deal with
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 2,803
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
« Reply #20 on: Dec 10, 2005, 06:21:53 PM »
I almost forgot.....I have Keith Black Pistons in my FatBoy :thumbs:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Dec 10, 2005, 06:25:48 PM »
Where did you get your Keith Black pistons
i got mine from www.beckracing.com