Author Topic: WHY ARE JEEPS BETTER THAN TOYOTAS  (Read 21548 times)

chevyguy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -28
  • Male Posts: 46
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
WHY ARE JEEPS BETTER THAN TOYOTAS
« on: Nov 09, 2005, 04:49:20 PM »
Well i thought since someone started a jeep vs toyota thread under jeeps and most posts are toyota fans, I thought I would start one here and let ya'll have it out in your section. Ill start. Jeeps are better in my opinion because they are American.they were building 4x4s before toyata was even thought of. There it is,,,,,Enjoy,,,,

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Re: WHY ARE JEEPS BETTER THAN TOYOTAS
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2005, 04:54:51 PM »
 :sleeping: .......... :red_eyes: ........... :sleepy:

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2005, 05:00:47 PM »
This would be the wrong forum.

RunnerRick

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 28
  • Member since Aug '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2005, 05:02:43 PM »
jeeps are :gay:

KWP

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 878
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Ghost Hunter
    • View Profile
    • East Central Oklahoma Paranormal Society
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2005, 05:09:44 PM »
Well i thought since someone started a jeep vs toyota thread under jeeps and most posts are toyota fans, I thought I would start one here and let ya'll have it out in your section. Ill start. Jeeps are better in my opinion because they are American.they were building 4x4s before toyata was even thought of. There it is,,,,,Enjoy,,,,
:rofl2: Is that all you have? You forgot about junk axles, wheel base to short and no inside room. I think the only good thing about jeep is the Dana 300 t case.
88 Toyota truck ( Under Construction ) Dana 60's front and rear 5.38's, welded diffs, 3inch Downey rears up front,one link rear with aerostar coils rolling on 39.5x16.50/17 Pittbull Rockers and 17x9 Pro Comp extreme alloys.http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=40816.0

RokCrawlinToy

• Crawler of Rocks
  • Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 4214
  • Male Posts: 1,030
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Thermobaric Urban Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2005, 05:15:19 PM »
This thread is  :gay: :gay: :gay: :gay: :gay: :gay: :gay: :gay: :gay: :gay: :gay: :gay: :gay: :gay: :gay: :gay: :gay: :gay: :gay: :gay: :gay:
Did you ever think the reason most of the posts are by Toyota fans, because this is a TOYOTA board? As far as it being our section, the board is open for EVERYONE to use.
I have plenty of friends that I wheel with that drive jeeps, do I care? NO, they're out on the same trails as me having FUN.
Thats my  :twocents:

Matty

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -18
  • Male Posts: 875
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2005, 05:43:11 PM »
maybe preaching to the wrong  :respect: 

but i dont mind them....

h0nke

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 322
  • Member since May '05
  • need $$$$ for parts
    • View Profile
    • Firth4X4
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2005, 07:31:09 PM »
The only argument Jeep has is its American. I dont like that toyota is Jap, but it is, and I like Toyota.

there is my 2 cents. ;)
1980 SR5 shortbed pickup (Project Rust Bucket)

shawnb

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 140
  • Male Posts: 135
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Haven't seen snow like this here this year :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 09, 2005, 07:48:04 PM »
Jeeps represent corprate america and how they can #$#@ any and everything.

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #9 on: Nov 09, 2005, 08:03:22 PM »
i level with ya'll. i would much rather be driving an american vehicle and if i were to buy a new vehicle it would be american. but most of us have 20 year old japenese trucks that we saved from the crusher. so who gives a dam if some crazy asian built them. hell majaority of us have so much amercian parts in them anyway its hard to call them japanese. aso jeeps can suck my %$#@ :thumbs:
Im an OG

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 09, 2005, 08:21:05 PM »
small piece of trvia, my truck (91 toyota pickup) was built in the united states.  It may have a Japanese name, it may have Japanese parts, but it was made in the US.  My Dodge ramcharger (1990) was built in Mexico.  This "american" vehicle, made by Daimler Chrysler :psss: owns jeep, doesnt even build a lot of its vehicles in the US.  Chevy builds trucks in Canada, Dodge builds trucks in Mexico, Toyota builds trucks in the US, Its hard to tell whats american and not anymore, so even that arguement is out IMO.  Toyota built WWII vehicles for the Japanese army, and as such, has been around just as long as jeep. :thumbs:

BTW, I love jeeps, always have, but they were too expensive when I bought my truck, and continue to be outta my price range.  'Sides, I'm a pickup man anyway :dunno:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 09, 2005, 08:32:50 PM »
ok, i dont know if this has been said yet or not but.... american??? 75 % of toyotas are built in the us of a , jeeps are built in mexico, canada, and the us, and before toyota?? ha, "JEEP" was not an actual compant until the late fifties, before that it was willys or ford and was owned stricyly by the us government, and toyota... started mass production in 1939, before ww2, and introduced the first 4x4 in 1941, looked kindajeep like, even the jeep ancestors-bantam..ect. didnt come along until late 1942..any other questions? :thumbs:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #12 on: Nov 09, 2005, 09:46:14 PM »
 :haha: They moved you to Idle Chit Chat.  I have a Jeep and a Toyota,  I like my Toy better.

'nuff said.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #13 on: Nov 09, 2005, 10:24:21 PM »
Let's just remember each person has a right to his own opinion and an opinion isn't wrong :nonono:

:beerchug:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

TigerToy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 09, 2005, 10:24:53 PM »
Toyotas have better engineering than Jeeps.  Simple as that.  They are simple, effecient, and reliable.  Toyota put the same basic engine in their trucks for almost twenty years.  This alone is a testament to the Toyota tradition and reliability.  I've owned both a 78 Jeep and an 82 Toyota.  The Toyota is by far the superior piece of equipment.

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 09, 2005, 10:25:37 PM »
american made is a pretty weak argument.  i own plenty of junk that's american made, and a lot of good stuff that's made in other countries.  we tend to get so caught up in nationalistic pride that we don't seem to care about the quality of a product sometimes *cough*chevy people*cough*

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 09, 2005, 10:29:58 PM »
american made is a pretty weak argument.  i own plenty of junk that's american made, and a lot of good stuff that's made in other countries.  we tend to get so caught up in nationalistic pride that we don't seem to care about the quality of a product sometimes *cough*chevy people*cough*

:nonono:  hey, I'm a chevy guy, but I will be the first to admit that the toyota is superiorly engineered :yupyup:  When I get a fullsize again, I'll get it based on the reliability, appearance, and specs of the vehcile, not based on some STUPID brand loyalty.  I'll drive a ford if its better than a chevy for my needs.  I'll drive a dodge, if it is better, but I'll allways drive toyota, simply because they (at least the older ones) are superiorly made.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #17 on: Nov 09, 2005, 10:32:07 PM »
:nonono:  hey, I'm a chevy guy, but I will be the first to admit that the toyota is superiorly engineered :yupyup:  When I get a fullsize again, I'll get it based on the reliability, appearance, and specs of the vehcile, not based on some STUPID brand loyalty.  I'll drive a ford if its better than a chevy for my needs.  I'll drive a dodge, if it is better, but I'll allways drive toyota, simply because they (at least the older ones) are superiorly made.

:clap2: :bowdown: Well stated :beerchug:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 09, 2005, 10:36:25 PM »
It seems funny to me that someone with the name chevyguy would pick jeeps over toyota's.  Ford built jeeps during WWII when willy's overland couldnt keep up with demand (GPW)   After WWII GM was a huge part in rebuilding toyota's production plants.  If you dont believe me jsut start poking around an old cruiser (pre-78) the axles are of a hotchkiss design, the 2f has parts that are actually interchangable with GM 215's. 235's and 250's.  If you want to put a GM engine into a cruier with a 3 speed trans its as simple as using a GM car bellhousing or one from a truck with a sm420.  That bellhousing bolts to the GM engine and the yota trans directly, all it takes is the usage of a yota clutchdisc and different motormounts. 

Im a yota guy till I die but I wheel with mostly jeeps, why?  Jeeps have been considered the "cool" thing to have for years while toyota's are just reliable little pickups that suck offroad. :greengrin:
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

furrballs95

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 124
  • Male Posts: 302
  • Member since Oct '05
  • boot scoot put in 4low and boogie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 10, 2005, 05:35:02 AM »
ok, i dont know if this has been said yet or not but.... american??? 75 % of toyotas are built in the us of a , jeeps are built in mexico, canada, and the us, and before toyota?? ha, "JEEP" was not an actual compant until the late fifties, before that it was willys or ford and was owned stricyly by the us government, and toyota... started mass production in 1939, before ww2, and introduced the first 4x4 in 1941, looked kindajeep like, even the jeep ancestors-bantam..ect. didnt come along until late 1942..any other questions? :thumbs:
   very well put  :clap2:  :clap2:  :clap2:
95 Toyota p/u 3.0 v6. Marlin SAS with 5"springs, 30 spline bobby longs, and a welded V6 third in a trussed 85 front axle. 529's front and rear, Marlin rear kit with 5" springs, lockrite rear locker,  36"  IROCKS on 15x10 black rock crawlers, custom front and rear bumpers,

chevyguy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 10, 2005, 11:39:56 AM »
Umm my jeep was built in american by americans,1967 check it out, And for all of you driving a 1980 toyota you should see wherer they were made in 1980, not currently. Thats all I am saying. Alot of toyota parts today are shipped overseas and final assembly is completed here, But that doesnt make it US made huh? You should check it out. Interesting info.I just thought ya would enjoy this thread since someone started a similar one in the jeep section. Seems kinda odd to start a jeep bashing thread in the jeep section. If you want to boost your egos and bash Jeps thats fine, but probally not the best idea to put it in a jeep section and not expect someone to bash jap junk as well? Ya'll are right, opinions vary. Shoot the jeep vs toyota bashing thread is as smart as all the folks here waving there gay flag? whats up with that huh?
« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2005, 11:46:25 AM by chevyguy »

chevyguy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 10, 2005, 12:05:48 PM »
Although the first experimental four wheel drive car was built in 1906 (by Otto Zachow and William Besserdich of Clintonville, Wisconsin), the layout was considered overly complex and unnecessary for the times. Bugatti created a four wheel drive racer, the Type 53, in 1932, but the car was legendary for having poor handling. It was not until "go-anywhere" vehicles were needed for the military that four wheel drive found its place. The Jeep, developed by American Bantam, became the best-known four wheel drive vehicle in the world during World War II. Willys (owner of the Jeep name) introduced the CJ-2A in 1945 as the first full-production four wheel drive passenger vehicle.

Seems You may not be completely correct. Jeep Bantam is recognized as the first production 4 wheel drive produced. No prototypes. If you are referring to first ever it aint a toy either.

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Nov 10, 2005, 12:50:59 PM »
If you want to get on a first 4wd tangent then both FWD (Four Wheel Drive) and livingood had all wheel drive rigs long before American bantam ever thought about it.  And no the company was  never  known as Jeep bantam either. ;) 

If you want to have a discussion concerning jeeps and/or Toyota's at least know something before you start trying to argue please.  Its bad enough trying to wade through the bull crap let alone trying to teach a brainwashed opponent.

TigerToy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Nov 10, 2005, 12:56:41 PM »
Let me put this to rest.

Trail Worthy Jeep:
Jeep body and Ford, Chevy, or Dodge running gear.  Or you could just go with the venerable AMC 20.   :stopit:

Trail Worthy Yota:
Lift, Lockers, and Tires

chevyguy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Nov 10, 2005, 01:07:43 PM »
Or the dana 44, which was a production rear end in the jeeps. Look I am done with this, Just keep your anti jeep out of the jeep section, Thats all.

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Nov 10, 2005, 01:19:22 PM »
Funny but this is in Chit chat. :headscratch: 

Yes jeeps are good rigs, but unlike toyota's if you want one that'll last to some real trail abuse you'll end up replacing pretty much everything.  My yota is still all yota parts.  The only thing you cant buy from a toyota dealer is the dual t-case adapter, 4.7 lowrange gears, twin stick shifter, diff gears and lockers and of course the upgraded birfields.  Otherwise its ALL toyota. :greengrin:

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #26 on: Nov 10, 2005, 03:14:19 PM »
Or the dana 44, which was a production rear end in the jeeps. Look I am done with this, Just keep your anti jeep out of the jeep section, Thats all.

Stop trying to make this place feel like PBB.   thank you!  ;)
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

TigerToy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Nov 10, 2005, 03:16:56 PM »
Stop trying to make this place feel like PBB.   thank you!  ;)

Maybe it is some genetic defeciency that causes Jeep lovers to act like this.

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #28 on: Nov 10, 2005, 05:07:50 PM »
Maybe it is some genetic defeciency that causes Jeep lovers to act like this.

Good point CTENG, but that cant be it because I love jeeps to.  I just realize a Toyota is better out of the box for less money. 

chevyguy you have to realize that this entire website is nothing but Toyota lovers hence it is Marlin Crawler.  Not saying nobody here likes nothing other than a toy,  but the majority of us drive them and love,  you get the picture. 

You said yourself you had a yota, yes they could use more power, but you never said anything else about it that was negative nothing breaking or wearing out.

My Girlfriend has a jeep 86 cj7 4.2l auto.   They had to rebuild the motor at 142k  the trany is going on its second rebuild.  The transfer case is a pregnant dog to get in and out of four wheel drive. 

And I know its not just hers because my cousin has an 85 c7 with 80k on it.  It is an 85 cj7 4.2l man.  It also has had a new motor put in it and the t-case is the same way.  He has 35's, now grant it the AMC 20 is a brute, it is also a boat anchor.  He has broke two axles on an open front axle with 35" BFG M/t.

If we are going to compare jeep to yota we have to compare them as equal years.  People cant compare a Toyota to a 40's Willy's becausethere was no Toyota back then so the jeep is better than the yota.

But if you compare a 85 cj7 top model I think would be the Renegade, but cant remamber, to an 85 Toyota be it a 4-runner or pick up I would honestly say the Toyota is the stronger more reliable rig.  But as far as capability goes.  It does not matter what you drive I don't care who you are,  it is how you drive it that makes rig capable.

chevyguy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Nov 10, 2005, 05:40:25 PM »
No I did fail to mention the 20r motor that I trashed , the 22r in my 87 that went south,and the reason for the motor swap in the 1980 was the transmission went for the second time. So no my yotas had weak parts too. Thats why I upgraded to GM parts.