Author Topic: my newly purchased '84 X-Cab (with picture)....  (Read 5714 times)

79-83earlyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 18
  • Male Posts: 181
  • Member since May '05
  • Earlyota
    • View Profile
my newly purchased '84 X-Cab (with picture)....
« on: Oct 09, 2005, 08:07:59 PM »
 :biggthumpup: recentely purchased an '84 X-Cab for $2K here in Denver, Colorado.  Best part...had a re-manufactured engine (totally rebuilt) with receipt for engine, and receipt for pro install at ASE certified shop.  Engine has about 35K on it now, and it runs flawlessly!!!  :yupyup:  Has new 31" tires, new radiator, new brakes, etc.  Took it out today for it's first REAL trail run up "Carnage Canyon", which is one of Denver's toughest local trails, and surprisingly, it did really well...without a lift and lockers :yikes:  I am partial to the 79-83's, as my username so obviously suggests...but i'm also 6'6" tall, so the X-Cab is really nice for me.  Immediate future plans involve a 5" lift, a new bed (with no rust), rear locker and 4.88 gears and 33x10.50 tires. here's a pic BELOW:
« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2005, 05:52:12 PM by 79-83earlyota »

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: my newly purchased '84....
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2005, 08:11:38 PM »
Sounds like you scored, nice looking truck
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

SQUIRREL MONSTER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 151
  • Male Posts: 657
  • Member since Jul '05
  • squirrel powered by hampsterous oxide!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2005, 08:35:04 PM »
wow! awsome. sounds like how i bought mine. mine is also an 84 x-cab. only had 4K on a fully rebuilt motor. i also stand tall at 6'3 and needed the xtra room to fit my vertically freakish arse. good luck with the build bro  :thumbs:

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2005, 08:52:09 PM »
Hahaha I'm exactly opposite, I bought my first gen because I'm 5' 6" haha. I'm one of them club footed midgets you hear about!
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

SQUIRREL MONSTER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 151
  • Male Posts: 657
  • Member since Jul '05
  • squirrel powered by hampsterous oxide!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2005, 08:57:05 PM »
Hahaha I'm exactly opposite, I bought my first gen because I'm 5' 6" haha. I'm one of them club footed midgets you hear about!

no offense, but man thats gotta feel like a caddy to you. toyotas back then were not known for their roomy features. LOL

KDC

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 153
  • Male Posts: 180
  • Member since May '05
  • Axle Breaking Goodness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 09, 2005, 09:51:20 PM »
Hey you're over by me.  I live in Boulder and have done Carnage a few times.  Are you the guy that went with the dude with the buggy truck?  On colorado4x4.org a dude said he went up Carnage with a "baby" toy pick-up today. 
Where was that pick taken?  I know that's not Left Hand.  Almost looks like somewhere near Hans Peak, but I don't remember that big of boulders there. 
Anyway Cool truck! :thumbs:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #6 on: Oct 10, 2005, 06:49:34 AM »
hey you colorodo guys go to the MCR5 thread and vote for Moab  for the Marlincrawler roundup #5 next year
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79-83earlyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '05
  • Earlyota
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 10, 2005, 05:50:07 PM »
Hey you're over by me.  I live in Boulder and have done Carnage a few times.  Are you the guy that went with the dude with the buggy truck?  On colorado4x4.org a dude said he went up Carnage with a "baby" toy pick-up today. 
Where was that pick taken?  I know that's not Left Hand.  Almost looks like somewhere near Hans Peak, but I don't remember that big of boulders there. 
Anyway Cool truck! :thumbs:

:yupyup:  Yep, I went up to Carnage trail with the guy who has the buggy; he posted pics....black buggy with rear 4-link and 18" Sway-Away air shox, with a blue rear diff cover.  Yea, I took my '84 X-Cab up there, and did the ENTIRE trail.  It's bone stock with the exception of 31" tires and Rancho Shocks, so I took the easiest routes possible...but in Carnage, that's still tough!!!!!!!  Ended up with a few minor dents and dings, broken rear tailight lense, and a broken rear shock.  .......the picture of my truck above, was taken near Mt. Antero, not Mt. Antero road itself, but a spur road not far from there....an old mining road, not well used, that leads up to an old mine shaft and dead end's.

79-83earlyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '05
  • Earlyota
    • View Profile
 :acclaim: ......this is the truggy I went with.....'82 Toyota pick-up body and partial frame, '84 4Runner drivetrain (22R, G52, t-case), 5.0 t-case reduction gears :turtle: , custom 1.5" tubing throughout, Dana 60 rear, welded, with 35 spline axles and disc brakes, Dana 44 front with OX Locker, 5.38 ring & pinion gears, 4-link rear suspension with 18" Sway-Away air shocks, YJ front springs, 39.5 x 13.50 x 20 IROK'S on 20 x 9 Weld wheels.

irok4runner

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
hey guys thanks for the post of the pics Brian....im the guy that owns the buggy...still have a few other things that i need to work on but for the most part it works good...i let Brian drive it...i think hes hooked..hahaha....more pics are on the link below...

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=46156
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2005, 08:08:22 PM by irok4runner »

wsuweston

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 72
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Nice buy

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
Sounds like a good deal and thats a sweet looinig truck. :biggthumpup:   I paid $3,500 for my X-Cab 84 without a rebuilt engine, and i love it.  So you Scored
Hey is that black grill a stock option cuz mine is Chrome  :reg:  so i ripped it all off.
I like to Drive!

79-83earlyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '05
  • Earlyota
    • View Profile
Sounds like a good deal and thats a sweet looinig truck. :biggthumpup:   I paid $3,500 for my X-Cab 84 without a rebuilt engine, and i love it.  So you Scored
Hey is that black grill a stock option cuz mine is Chrome  :reg:  so i ripped it all off.

yea, I think all non-SR5's came with black grills, and most of the SR5's had chrome grills.  I don't really like either one. :thumbdown:
my favorite grill is on the 79-81's with the round headlights and the "X" pattern in the grill itself.  ......Thanks for the compliments on my '84 though....I like it so far, and it's tough as nails, i've been rompin' on it everywhere, and zero issues.  :eyebrow:

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
My 85 SR5 Has a black grill. 
I like it, Black is Dark an Sinister! :angry:

By the way nice truck.

To The Floor

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 220
  • Male Posts: 393
  • Member since Jul '04
  • THE KRAK
    • View Profile
yea, I think all non-SR5's came with black grills, and most of the SR5's had chrome grills. I don't really like either one. :thumbdown:
my favorite grill is on the 79-81's with the round headlights and the "X" pattern in the grill itself. ......Thanks for the compliments on my '84 though....I like it so far, and it's tough as nails, i've been rompin' on it everywhere, and zero issues. :eyebrow:
i believe the 83's were the ones with the X pattern.  it was similar to the 81s, but the 81's only have 5 squares with horizontal lines and the 83's have 6 rectanges with X's in em.  and yes 79-81 had the round headlights.  81 was the best year tho, cuz it was the first year of the 22r and the first/last year of the dual row timing chain with the steel guides.  anyways, i love extra cabs, and that sure is a nice one.  congrats on the purchase.
in the projects nooga, anything goes

79-83earlyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '05
  • Earlyota
    • View Profile
thanks!  I think you're right actually, about the 83 grill, now that I think about it.  :smack:  duh!!  I like the round headlights, that's ultra vintage!!!!  1981 is a cool year, still had the roundy lights, 22R became available, and yea, the dual row t-chain will never wear out.  I got a lead on a 1983 right now for $700, and remarkably, it's in real good shape.

dentedfender

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 85
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Jeep eater
    • View Profile
damn im surprised you made it up carnage without being locked i went up there eairly summer unlocked and only made it a little bit past the two big rocks you have to squezze between, i bet it was a pregnant dog getting it through the part right bellow the waterfall where you go around a turm while stepping up those rocks.  I didnt get to finish the trial until i returned locked.  :beer:  to you for making it that is way intence for a stock truck
85 4runner rears up front f-150s out back dual 2.28 cases 22re, rear discs, 5.29s, locked f/r, 38s....... list goes on and on

KDC

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 153
  • Male Posts: 180
  • Member since May '05
  • Axle Breaking Goodness
    • View Profile
damn im surprised you made it up carnage without being locked i went up there eairly summer unlocked and only made it a little bit past the two big rocks you have to squezze between, i bet it was a pregnant dog getting it through the part right bellow the waterfall where you go around a turm while stepping up those rocks. I didnt get to finish the trial until i returned locked. :beer: to you for making it that is way intence for a stock truck

That is pretty good.  I've only made it to that squeeze also in my stock runner. 

79-83earlyyota, yeah that's the truggy I was talking about.  It is pretty tight!  I have an 88 4runner, but I used to have a '79 and I still think the first gens are my favorites.  Early Yotas are cool.

79-83earlyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '05
  • Earlyota
    • View Profile
That is pretty good.  I've only made it to that squeeze also in my stock runner. 

79-83earlyyota, yeah that's the truggy I was talking about.  It is pretty tight!  I have an 88 4runner, but I used to have a '79 and I still think the first gens are my favorites.  Early Yotas are cool.

yea, it made it through Carnage with no lift and no lockers, truthfully :angel: ...31" tires are the only mod of any help.  I think i'm gonna be selling it though, because I offered $500 on that '83 I mentioned, and the owner accepted....so this truck is going to be up on the market....thinking about $2,200...as I have done some maintenance it required.  I know, I know, I just bought it, but I can't pass up the '83 for that cheap, and the X-Cab has a little too long of a wheel base for my likings after all.  Anyone interested?  :turtle: Marlin Board gets first dibs..........................

79-83earlyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '05
  • Earlyota
    • View Profile
 :thumbsup:  THIS TRUCK IS FOR SALE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  $2200

Scott39

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 153
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Where do you live?
I live in lakewood.
Scott
JC Rules <><
Earth First, we will screw up the rest of the planets later.

79-83earlyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '05
  • Earlyota
    • View Profile
Where do you live?
I live in lakewood.
Scott

I live in Thornton.

e-mail me with interest in the truck -- bchristen33@comcast.net
i'd let it go to someone in Denver for $2000 even!!
let me know.