Author Topic: Nology HotWires  (Read 7967 times)

toyhatsu

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 302
  • Male Posts: 201
  • Member since May '04
  • Toyota owns 51% of Daihatsu Motor Co, Ltd.
    • View Profile
Nology HotWires
« on: Jul 18, 2005, 04:21:22 PM »
BigMike:

You've been running the Nology HotWires for a while now.  What is your impression and are they worth the money.  The reason is that a guy on Ebay is selling the 2.4/ 2.7 ones for $140.00 and I respect your opinion.

and....why are women suddenly evil for you...you don't have to talk about it.  I try and stay away from them.  I have more money and a better overall disposition :gap:
1991 Daihatsu Rocky, 3RZ-fe, Marlin super heavey duty clutch and pressure plate, Marlin W56-C-HD, duals, Marlin twinstick, three link front with Fox AirShox, 35's, Toy axles, 5.29:1, ARB F&R etc.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: Nology HotWires
« Reply #1 on: Jul 18, 2005, 11:23:48 PM »
hahah

and....why are women suddenly evil for you...

hehehe that's pretty funny huh?  :joke:

Well, here is what sold me on the Hotcore wires... A while back we had to run 92 oct (back when that was available here in Cali) in Marlin's 1980 Crawler truck. Anything less and it would detonate. And his timing was right on. With 92 oct it ran fine. Then we got a truck in that had the Hotcore wires. Later, I found out that I could get the wires through the shop, so I bought them and gave them to Marlin for his BD. Well let me tell ya. This is no joke, immediately after installing the wires, an obvious increase of bottom-to-mid range power had increased, and we were able to run 87 oct Arco gas without any detonation on his carburated engine. It was simply amazing.

From that moment I was sold, and I've used them on my Supercharged MR2 and now my 3RZ. They survived a massive engine fire on my SC engine and they are still being used even today (well, the engine is dead but the wires are still good).

I wanted the best I could do for my 2.7 Ignition system, so I immediately opted for Denso Iridiums and Nology Hotcore wires. That's my opinion, and I wouldn't settle for anything less.

If anything, if you put them on and they don't do anything for you, then throw them back on Ebay and just sell them again?

BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

toyhatsu [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 19, 2005, 06:49:30 PM »
Thanks BigMike!  Are you using the Denso Iridium IX part # BKR5EIX, stock # 6341?  I think that you have me convinced.  All I have put in that Taco engine is 91 octane as that is the highest we can get.  I don't even know what octane rating I am supposed to be running.  It runs great but I live at an altitude of 6,500 feet and it seems to burn a little rich at least looking at the exhaust tip.  I haven't pulled the plugs yet.  It never pings or knocks (I'm not much of a motor head).  I was thinking that the Nology wires might give a more complete burn.

It sounds like these are highly recomended products like Amsoil.

Thank you again for your time.
1991 Daihatsu Rocky, 3RZ-fe, Marlin super heavey duty clutch and pressure plate, Marlin W56-C-HD, duals, Marlin twinstick, three link front with Fox AirShox, 35's, Toy axles, 5.29:1, ARB F&R etc.

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Jul 19, 2005, 06:57:43 PM »
Thanks BigMike! Are you using the Denso Iridium IX part # BKR5EIX, stock # 6341?

Those #s are NGK Iridium IX plugs, not Denso..

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 19, 2005, 09:42:53 PM »
No, mine were something like IK16 or SK16 or something like that...........

I try to run 89 oct Unocal 76, but lately I've just been using 87. Running like a champ. All of the newer engines that I've seen always recommend using "Premium", but Marlin runs 87 oct Arco water-gas in the V8 Tundra ever since we bought it and it never has any problems.

RHG

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,320
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 20, 2005, 01:34:30 AM »
Sometimes I wonder if there is a diff. Probably all comes out the same tank. Hey what about the MSD6 for offroad? Is that something worth its money or just a shiney part to put under the hood?
Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

89 Ext Cab Long Bed, SAS'd, Double 2.28's, 5.29's, 38" TSL's, Allied Beadlocks, Half Doors, Custom Trail Bodywork

toyhatsu [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 23, 2005, 10:04:34 AM »
Are the NGK iridium plugs as good as the Denso iridium plugs?  Also my 2.7 kind of hesitated at 6000 rpm's.  Is there a rev limiter on this engine?

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 23, 2005, 04:47:30 PM »
Sometimes I wonder if there is a diff. Probably all comes out the same tank. Hey what about the MSD6 for offroad? Is that something worth its money or just a shiney part to put under the hood?
I got the msd 6 ignition on my 22r. I don't know how much it helped because I never drove without it but is does run good.

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 23, 2005, 04:57:45 PM »
Im also looking at the MSD 6 offroad for my truck...looks good, hopefully drives good.
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 23, 2005, 06:28:16 PM »
the "offroad" ignition seems kind of gimmicky, i hear the 6AL works perfectly fine off-road, and costs a bundle less as well.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 26, 2005, 08:01:26 AM »
Also my 2.7 kind of hesitated at 6000 rpm's. Is there a rev limiter on this engine?

Wow, I wasn't sure but I thought the 2.7l redlined around 5,700? At least that's where mine has redlined at..

I dont think I've ever hit 6k. For sure my engine has a rev limiter and Ive been there many times..

toyhatsu [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 26, 2005, 12:46:45 PM »
I don't have a speed sensor installed and that is the only code I pull with the OBDII.  Maybe the ECU is just confused.  I am using a iequus 5" tach connected to the ignitor...I think that it is pretty accurate and has a highest rpm recall button.  Love that engine :biggthumpup:

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 26, 2005, 07:38:23 PM »
Hey Man,

I recall that my engine does not put forth its best effort without the speed sensor hooked up. There is still some potential yet to be uncovered there, seriously, get a speed sensor hooked up !!

toyhatsu [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 26, 2005, 07:51:41 PM »
Hey Man,

I recall that my engine does not put forth its best effort without the speed sensor hooked up. There is still some potential yet to be uncovered there, seriously, get a speed sensor hooked up !!

Isn't the speed sensor for the electronic speedometer?  I have a cable speedo now with your extension cable.  Maybe the sensor from Painless Wiring as it screws into the cable setup?  Not sure what to do there.  Any suggestions from the Exalted One?

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 28, 2005, 03:26:19 PM »
Any suggestions from the Exalted One?

I'll ask Marlin about it later :yupyup: :bowdown: hahaha

Well, Was your Diahatsu EFI before your conversion? I don't know jack about Daihatsu's, but I would be nearly 99% sure that if it was EFI then it should already have a speedsensor built into its instrument cluster.

Toyota uses a two pulse (+) and (-) signal. If you check the wiring book for the 3RZ, look on the computer for a SP+ and a SP-.

Hopefully, your Diahatsu has a + and a - signal and then just connect it to the ecu. Surprisingly enough, my Carb '81 had a speedsensor in it's instr. cluster, so I just hooked it up. It was a dark green wire for SP+ and a light green wire for SP- that came out the top of my cluster just above where the speedometer cable plugs in.

:crossed:

toyhatsu [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 28, 2005, 07:26:52 PM »
I'll ask Marlin about it later

I was refering to you as the EO and thank you for the reply!!!  Marlin is the Grande Exalted One!

I'll look in the Daihatsu FSM and trace the wiring.  That would be great if  there is already one installed.  I do have the Taco FSM also.  Yes the Rocky was a fuel injected engine.

I just ordered the Nology wire set.  Where did you get your Denso Iridiums?  Would the dealership have them?

Also I was saving for one of your Dad's W56's and I shot the wad on five brand new 35" Goodyear MTR's...it was too good of a deal to pass up.  So the Rocky is on 35's.  Have to start saving again.

toyhatsu [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 30, 2005, 04:16:39 PM »
Got the Denso's at the dealership @ $10.33 ea.  Mother puss bucket...$44.55 for spark plugs and $145.00 for wires :yikes:   I'm taking your word on this Exalted One as I also want the best for my 3RZ engine investment :bowdown: 

I did find the speed sensor in the Daihatsu FSM and located the wires on the Taco ECU.  What does it mean Y-B Y-R?  Is that yellow-black, yellow-brown or yellow-blue?  Is it always B=black when there is just a B and no other letters.  I tried tracing wires down under the dash and found a yellow with a red stripe.  I don't have the Rocky ECU any more.  Should I contact the guy that helped me wire up the engine and computer?

toyhatsu [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jul 30, 2005, 04:21:52 PM »
Not tech. but my wiring guys rig.

toyhatsu [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jul 30, 2005, 04:25:31 PM »
The Rocky on 35's.  I need a periscope to see out the back :gap:

Uncle Jesse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 21
  • Male Posts: 375
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jul 30, 2005, 06:35:16 PM »
Y = yellow
r = red
B = black
L= blue
BR = brown

you should find these codes in the front section of your wiring diagram book, EWD

toyhatsu [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jul 31, 2005, 07:32:53 AM »
Y = yellow
r = red
B = black
L= blue
BR = brown

you should find these codes in the front section of your wiring diagram book, EWD

Thank you once again for explaining my electrical issues.  Is EWD  eh, whatta dumbass?

How can one wire in the schematic be Y-B and Y-R?

Thank you for your time.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jul 31, 2005, 03:28:10 PM »
YB and YR, that is a good question. Usually, the book will show a junction block or a plug connector, and then you could assume that on one side of the plug you've got the Yellow Black, and on the other side would be a Yellow Red, but that drawing doesn't show anything...

I checked my book, and it has a SP1 and then the sensor which is in the inst. cluster, and then a ground. I *thought* I remembered it as having two circuits into the ecu, but I was wrong. One ground and one signal. :thumbs:

toyhatsu [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jul 31, 2005, 03:55:25 PM »
Thanks for your time BigMike,

The `96 Taco shows brown as neg. and green orange as + at the computer.  Will a multimeter pick up the pulses from a speed sensor?  I feel like I am kicking a dead horse.  I'll keep working on it.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jul 31, 2005, 04:48:58 PM »
Will a multimeter pick up the pulses from a speed sensor?

NO! I tried and could not get a signal. If you try it, remember that it is an A/C power source that is being generated, so run your meter on that.

My truck feels sluggish if I unplug the speedsensor. Period.

Good luck mang :crossed: Run down to an AutoZone or something and try to find a book on your truck (that might be hard considering the Rocky isnt a common vehicle) and check the wires for the speedsensor. Check if the speed sensor was in the factory inst. cluster, and also how it hooked up to your stock ecu?

Uncle Jesse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 21
  • Male Posts: 375
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jul 31, 2005, 10:56:41 PM »
Thank you once again for explaining my electrical issues.  Is EWD  eh, whatta dumbass?

How can one wire in the schematic be Y-B and Y-R?

Thank you for your time.

EWD is electrical wiring diagram, or schematics.  As for the reason one wire has two color codes is beyond me.  I would assume either the change takes place in a connector or splice, but niether are shown.  So my second assumption is that the wire could be either, depending upon what dihatsu felt like using that day.  To make sure you have the right wire, find the connector pin outs and go by pin number.

toyhatsu [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Aug 01, 2005, 04:19:40 AM »
BigMike,

The schematic picture is out of the Daihatsu factory service manual so there is a VSS on the speedometer.  Man if mine is running sluggish I can't wait till I get the sensor tied in :biggthumpup:   I think that I told you I'm not much of a mechanic and that's why it took me nine months to finish the engine swap.

Uncle Jesse,

I was just kidding about the EWD.  All of the stock engine bay wiring and the Daihatsu computer is gone.  There are a few plugs left in the cab around where the ECU was but the computer harness is gone.  I'll do some more searching and researching as that wire has to be there.

Thank you both for your time

gonzo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 2000
  • Male Posts: 734
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Climb Baby Climb!
    • View Profile
    • My 8E6 runner
« Reply #26 on: Aug 15, 2005, 11:38:05 AM »