Author Topic: Uncle Tomato the "water truck"  (Read 2454 times)

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Uncle Tomato the "water truck"
« on: Apr 26, 2021, 08:55:03 AM »
 A buddy obtained this '91 pickup about a decade ago for parts.  It drove on the trailer at that time but the battery was not included, so it rolled off and sat since then.  We think it must have been a theft recovery, because the doors and ignition are all jacked up and he bought it at some kind of auction for a few hundred bucks.  He had mentioned wanting to clean up his yard and offered it to us for parts for $250.  I couldn't turn down a good part out so the boys and I went in on it and took the trailer up on Friday to drag it home.

Just for kicks we brought some fresh oil, 5 gallons of gas, a battery and a fuel filter.  It had no tires to we brought a set of 32s I was given the day before (good timing).  The boys swapped tires and changed the oil while I dropped the gas tank skid and drained off the old gas.  The oil had about a quart of water in it and black sludge chunks.  The gas smelled like varnish and was a blue color.

After we got all that sorted we unhooked the coil, stuck a screwdriver in the broken ignition switch and turned it over to let the oil get up into things.  After we re-hooked the coil it stumbled a little but no start.  We checked spark, which was good, then I changed the fuel filter, but it still just sputtered.  Shot starting fluid into a vac line which fired, but no run.

Then I unhooked the return line from the fuel pressure regulator to see if the pump was pushing good.  Fuel came whizzing out and it ran!  Hooked the return line back up and it continued to purr like a kitten.  I mean like this thing sounds NICE!

All we can figure is the fuel pressure regulator was stuck or restricted and unhooking the return knocked it loose somehow.  Jake drove the thing home 70 mph and the boys even took it gopher hunting on the way.

The coolant looked pretty rusty so I flushed the rad with a power washer.  Had to solder the upper hose fitting and bracket back on.  Ran water in it and heated it up about 5 times before it finally came out clear.  Tailgate didn't open due to busted internals.  We had a green one left over from Caleb's truck so we put it on there.  The doors don't really shut yet because of the jacked up, bent latch areas.  We will figure that out.

Anyway, these things are nuts. What a testimony to Toyota 4x4s from this era. After sitting a decade with water in the crank case it fires up and drives nice. 291K on the odometer!  We immediately put it into service hauling water to the house so we can legitimize it's existence to my wife  :thumbs:.  Plans include a somewhat non-conventional go fast, cheapo IFS set up for thrashing around on farm roads.  Welded rear because driving the direction you want to go is lame  :gap:.  Stay tuned for future installments...

« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2021, 09:17:28 AM by H8PVMNT »
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 170
  • Male Posts: 943
  • Member since Jan '14
  • What is this Toyota you speak of?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Uncle Tomato the "water truck"
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2021, 10:44:40 AM »
A buddy obtained this '91 pickup about a decade ago for parts.  It drove on the trailer at that time but the battery was not included, so it rolled off and sat since then.  We think it must have been a theft recovery, because the doors and ignition are all jacked up and he bought it at some kind of auction for a few hundred bucks.  He had mentioned wanting to clean up his yard and offered it to us for parts for $250.  I couldn't turn down a good part out so the boys and I went in on it and took the trailer up on Friday to drag it home.

Just for kicks we brought some fresh oil, 5 gallons of gas, a battery and a fuel filter.  It had no tires to we brought a set of 32s I was given the day before (good timing).  The boys swapped tires and changed the oil while I dropped the gas tank skid and drained off the old gas.  The oil had about a quart of water in it and black sludge chunks.  The gas smelled like varnish and was a blue color.

After we got all that sorted we unhooked the coil, stuck a screwdriver in the broken ignition switch and turned it over to let the oil get up into things.  After we re-hooked the coil it stumbled a little but no start.  We checked spark, which was good, then I changed the fuel filter, but it still just sputtered.  Shot starting fluid into a vac line which fired, but no run.

Then I unhooked the return line from the fuel pressure regulator to see if the pump was pushing good.  Fuel came whizzing out and it ran!  Hooked the return line back up and it continued to purr like a kitten.  I mean like this thing sounds NICE!

All we can figure is the fuel pressure regulator was stuck or restricted and unhooking the return knocked it loose somehow.  Jake drove the thing home 70 mph and the boys even took it gopher hunting on the way.

The coolant looked pretty rusty so I flushed the rad with a power washer.  Had to solder the upper hose fitting and bracket back on.  Ran water in it and heated it up about 5 times before it finally came out clear.  Tailgate didn't open due to busted internals.  We had a green one left over from Caleb's truck so we put it on there.  The doors don't really shut yet because of the jacked up, bent latch areas.  We will figure that out.

Anyway, these things are nuts. What a testimony to Toyota 4x4s from this era. After sitting a decade with water in the crank case it fires up and drives nice. 291K on the odometer!  We immediately put it into service hauling water to the house so we can legitimize it's existence to my wife  :thumbs:.  Plans include a somewhat non-conventional go fast, cheapo IFS set up for thrashing around on farm roads.  Welded rear because driving the direction you want to go is lame  :gap:.  Stay tuned for future installments...

$twofiddy? You rip his arm off?
LittleSteve: Holding up traffic and giving dubious advice since 2014.

1/5th of Perfect Fit. The awkward foreigner no one understands.

Refusing to fit in or comply.

Easy is not worth anything.

Show me a home where the UZ's roam.

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 26, 2021, 09:14:17 PM »
You did it again! I can't wait to see what this turns into  :driving:

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #3 on: Apr 26, 2021, 09:22:28 PM »
What engine does it have?
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 743
  • Male Posts: 1,170
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 27, 2021, 12:39:34 AM »
legitimize to your wife...  The hardest part to fix ?
2000 3.4L xtra-cab Tacoma.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

2005 4.0L xtra-cab Tacoma
King Resi C/Os and Total Chaos UCAs
Waiting on Marlin for the RA60 Short throw shifter...Hint Hint
FLOODED...GONE

2012 4.0L xtra-cab 4x4 Tacoma
Automatic...Don't shoot...
 King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

^ Who let Wainiha into the mainland?? :yikes: - Big Mike

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 28, 2021, 07:29:42 AM »
What engine does it have?

22re baby!
– Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 28, 2021, 07:31:43 AM »

$twofiddy? You rip his arm off?

That is my price for non-moving Toyotas.  I don't really move on this. So far it works.  I've passed up a few for $400-$500.  I might pay more for 1st gen 4x4s with all the parts.
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 28, 2021, 07:36:20 AM »
I got the passenger door to close right by taking out the latch and hammering the latch area sheet metal back into proper alignment.  It appears that someone who was really drunk or high broke into the slider and then proceeded to pry the doors open with some kind of bar, from the inside.  How messed up would you have to be to not just realize you could unlock the doors once you crawled through the slider?

Man how I wish these old trucks could idle up to the camp fire and tell you their life story...

The drivers door is not working out.  I fixed the latch area and it is somehow bent down in the hinges or the door skin.  That latch is all beat to heck so I may just source another door.  We took it off for no so we don't have to close it :).
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 08:06:21 PM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 28, 2021, 12:08:57 PM »
That is my price for non-moving Toyotas.  I don't really move on this. So far it works.  I've passed up a few for $400-$500.  I might pay more for 1st gen 4x4s with all the parts.

Used to be the same way only $500 was my max, now in my area, due to the value of clean 1st gens, everyone thinks there none running-parts missing '8?-'9?, truck is worth its weight gold.
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2021, 03:16:59 PM by Snowtoy »
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '14
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #9 on: Apr 28, 2021, 12:48:24 PM »
I want another first gen

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 743
  • Male Posts: 1,170
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 28, 2021, 04:07:58 PM »
Most likely you couldn't buy a broken truck for $500 here.  The fishermen and pig hunters all want the old Yotas.
2000 3.4L xtra-cab Tacoma.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

2005 4.0L xtra-cab Tacoma
King Resi C/Os and Total Chaos UCAs
Waiting on Marlin for the RA60 Short throw shifter...Hint Hint
FLOODED...GONE

2012 4.0L xtra-cab 4x4 Tacoma
Automatic...Don't shoot...
 King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

^ Who let Wainiha into the mainland?? :yikes: - Big Mike

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 29, 2021, 08:20:07 PM »
I got the passenger door to close right by taking out the latch and hammering the latch area sheet metal back into proper alignment.  It appears that someone who was really drunk or high broke into the slider and then proceeded to pry the doors open with some kind of bar, from the inside.  How messed up would you have to be to not just realize you could unlock the doors once you crawled through the slider?

Man how I wish these old trucks could idle up to the camp fore and tell you their life story...

The drivers door is not working out.  I fixed the latch area and it is somehow bent down in the hinges or the door skin.  That latch is all beat to heck so I may just source another door.  We took it off for no so we don't have to close it :).

Put a mirror in the center of the truck facing right. Then as long as you're in the passenger seat you'll see a driver's door...

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2021, 08:54:11 PM »
So far all is well and it has hauled numerous 1,700 lb tanks of water down our muddy driveway on about a quarter tank of gas.  Still purrs like a kitten, doesn't smoke or anything.

I am going to go up for his other parts truck in the near future for another $100. It's an early 90s 3.0 long bed with some cab damage and a missing front clip. This should produce a usable driver's door, steering column without a broken ignition and 4.56 gearing to make it just right for 31" tires.
– Steve McQueen

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '14
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2021, 11:01:38 AM »
So far all is well and it has hauled numerous 1,700 lb tanks of water down our muddy driveway on about a quarter tank of gas.  Still purrs like a kitten, doesn't smoke or anything.

I am going to go up for his other parts truck in the near future for another $100. It's an early 90s 3.0 long bed with some cab damage and a missing front clip. This should produce a usable driver's door, steering column without a broken ignition and 4.56 gearing to make it just right for 31" tires.

I'll take the gauge cluster out of the v6 if its available/for sale/free...

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2021, 08:05:37 PM »
I'll take the gauge cluster out of the v6 if its available/for sale/free...

Let me drag it home and see what we have.  It will be a couple weeks the way things are going.
– Steve McQueen

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '14
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2021, 11:19:22 AM »
Let me drag it home and see what we have.  It will be a couple weeks the way things are going.

Thank You! There is no rush so don't break anything.

bordain

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2021, 12:52:15 AM »
Sweet truck! Can't wait to see the mods you're going to do.

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2021, 07:51:48 AM »
Thank You! There is no rush so don't break anything.

So it has the plain jane cluster with only the speedo, temp and fuel gauge.  Plastic cover has a crack.  You can certainly have it but I would want the full instrumentation and in better condition if I were you.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 08:20:52 AM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2021, 07:53:25 AM »
In other news the V6 parts truck is a 4.10 geared truck so no 4.56 gears to swap but spares are OK too :).  For some reason the tie rods are spankin' new.  Brought over hinges and door guts, window regulator, HVAC controls and a steering column.  It now starts with a key rather than a screwdriver and you can open and close the doors.  Serious upgrades!   :biggthumpup:
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 08:22:32 AM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '14
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2021, 11:51:27 AM »
oof, now you're getting fancy!

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2021, 08:12:56 PM »
Sorry to break it to you but Toyota keys from that generation pretty much amount to screwdrivers anyway :gap: