Author Topic: Tacoma sputter died after high rev 3.4 tacoma v6  (Read 998 times)

Taco11twp

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
Tacoma sputter died after high rev 3.4 tacoma v6
« on: Oct 21, 2017, 06:32:48 AM »
 :help: so it was rain out I just bought the tacoma did a burn out hit rev limiter check engine light started flicking on and off then kept on solid as well as the truck feeling like it wanted to die i came to a stop it completely died temp gauge pegged on hot it did not over heat though truck won't fire at all sounds like it turn over just fine just won't fire temp gauge stayed on hot as well as the check engine light and help would be greatly appreciated oil looks fine no leaks thanks

Lewis Hein

• Online Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 220
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
Hey Taco11twp,

You probably already know this, but for purposes of exposition:

Engines need four things to run:

1) Fuel
2) Air
3) Compression
4) Ignition
5) Exhaust

I highly doubt that you've damaged your exhaust, fuel supply, or air supply by over-revving and over-heating the engine, which leaves compression or ignition. I know nothing about the newer Toyota engines, but I believe that the engines from the 80s and 90s will bite back real quick if you overheat them; typically they seem lose compression due to a blown HG or warped head.

The above is pure speculation by someone who knows nothing at all and isn't even there to look at your truck and experience its problems. You can either listen to me, or you can get a factory service manual, a multimeter, and a compression gauge and listen to them. The latter approach will be much more productive in the long run. But from experience: do yourself a favor and avoid Haynes, Chilton, and like manuals. Get a real, genuine, Toyota FSM because they are much more detailed and tailored to your specific model and year of vehicle.

Happy fixing!

Taco11twp [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
Checked timing belt appears to be good hasn't skipped a tooth oil and coolant are good so I'm guessing not a head gasket what else could it be please help 🤦‍♂️

OVRAROK

• Online The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 21139
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since Dec '10
    • my build
Need to plug into the OBD port. Get the codes
even the most primitive society has an intimate respect for the insane

Taco11twp [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
Scanner will not detect my vehicle

Taco11twp [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
So with the vehicle off no key in the ignition check engine light is on and temp gauge is pegged hot put the key in it and put it to on gauge drops to normal and engine light goes off so lost

OVRAROK

• Online The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '10
    • my build
Why not?. Is it your own personal tool. If so, maybe autozone or local parts store

Taco11twp [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
I got it from autozone

Lewis Hein

• Online Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 220
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
Well, I hope your head gasket is good. However, when the head gasket on my Daihatsu was bad, it took a good 50 or so miles of driving before I got coolant in the oil. At least, don't rule it out yet.

Do a compression check. That will tell you volumes more than my uninformed speculations.

OVRAROK

• Online The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '10
    • my build
sounds like you need to find both ends of said problem, and run a continuity check on wires

84Flatbed

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -183
  • Member since Jun '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
So with the vehicle off no key in the ignition check engine light is on and temp gauge is pegged hot put the key in it and put it to on gauge drops to normal and engine light goes off so lost

That is bizarre. Have you tried unplugging the battery for awhile? The fact that the code reader also doesn't recognize the vehicle is also strange, maybe the ecu.

liveoak

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 115
  • Member since Mar '08
sounds like an electrical problem, check for damaged/melted wires around exhaust and alt/starter. also check all fuses. the fact that you said it was raining may be a clue for water getting into some electronics like the underhood fuse box. is there a leak in the windsheild? I'm trying to think of a way that the ecu could get wet. if you have an aftermarket exposed air filter you may have sucked water into the intake. check MAF sensor to see if it's wet
« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2017, 06:49:19 AM by liveoak »
my 3rz swap. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=97722.0

Let me start off with a basket of chips

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 6152
  • Male Posts: 2,274
  • Member since May '15
    • Buy me a beer
The pegged temp gauge has me thinking along the lines of live oak with water in a connector or the wire grounded somehow. I've had a few 3.4 shut off after bouncing the rev limiter for a few seconds and most all were due to having old plugs and wires and it threw multi cylinder misfire codes. New plugs and wires always help on the 3.4 engine. Not saying that is your peoblem just a suggestion of where to look along with the grounding issue on the temp gauge.
80 short bed, longs, hi steer, 4.7 case twin stick, 4.11, 38 tsl, mild built 22r
83 long bed, sas, hi steer, 3rz, w56, 4.56 33s
95 4runner project
06 4 door tacoma street truck