Author Topic: The actual Reddy Rocky build thread  (Read 11907 times)

utherjorge

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 142
  • Member since Aug '17
  • Two thirds is better than the whole
    • View Profile
The actual Reddy Rocky build thread
« on: Aug 27, 2017, 11:28:10 AM »
OK: so first, background. I've owned a lot of project cars. Each one has forced me to learn more about what the heck I am doing. The last one, and the first one I actually got on the road, all legal and stuff, was summer of 2016. I got a Geo Tracker, cheap, and got it all back together, including the rear frame and body, which were cheesed up by rust. Finally got it on the road in August 2016, and was able to enjoy it, for, oh, a month? And then...

A drunk driver popped it as it was parked outside my house for one evening. Twenty feet to the right of that F250 is where the Tracker was. And you see where it ends up. 2am and we all heard it happen. I was in bed, and my first thought was "Yep, there it is." I have more pics, obviously, but here's a close up from that evening:

A funny thing about the accident: we never did find the spare tire that was on the Tracker. To this day.

So, the hunt was on. I wanted a small SUV, and I didn't mind getting another Tracker again, but nothing around here (Pennsylvania) would be in good shape. I figured I'd have to look wider around the country, so I had the time to pause and find something a bit different. I settled on a Daihatsu Rocky.

Then, after a couple of months of half-hearted searches, this little monkey showed up in Arkansas on Copart:

So, after a long pile of mess with Copart (:maddest:) it showed up. 

Done thus far: mainly cosmetic stuff, including rear half and front getting more red; bumpers redone, with Hammered paint, though it looks like I have finally scored a front durable bumper; some ordered parts from overseas (Germany and Indonesia, so far) put on; bought some seats yet to put in; and scored a couple of harder to find items for the interior.

What's next:
Swap? Well, I started a thread here since I found a very clean 1998 Tacoma close to home...should I get it and strip it of its 2zrfe, even though it's a 2wd auto?

Body lift: sourced it from Australia, and the stock bushes are badly cracked after 27 years: might as well kill two birds with that stone

Front bumper: the stock bumpers on this are an embarrassment. They would protect me, not at all...and see the above pics of that Tracker regarding what sort of impacts are out there, in case you didn't know. Plus...I can't winch, I can't hi-lift jack it, I cant;....and so on.

Engine: OK, so if I don't end up swapping a motor, the stocker is mildly smoking, but it is definitely dumping coolant. I believe I have freeze plug damage; only thing I could figure (and, anyone else I ask could figure) why I'd be dumping coolant through the front of the manual tranny. So, I do have friends with an engine crane....

But the stock alt only puts out 50amps, and the fine folks at WARFS have been tremendous as a resource, for parts, and knowledge. But should I simply scrap all that and start from scratch with a new 22-something or 2/3zrfe?

The font axle work scares the heck out of me the most. Lots of info out there (and here) about swapping motors and trannies and TCases and rear ends (not like I understand it all yet) but not much on the front axle.

So, anyway, here it is. Thanks for reading!

utherjorge [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '17
    • View Profile
Re: The actual Reddy Rocky build thread
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2017, 11:50:38 AM »
OK, so Gnarls asked some questions. Here are some answers to them:

What did I want? Well, I wanted to be able to take the top off. I wanted a convertible, my largest failure as a project truck was an '87 Blazer that I never could figure out. Mechanically great, but electrically a nightmare. In that case, I never should have bought the one I did...and I chased gremlins until I parted it out. So, convertible.

I wanted a stick. I liked shifting and prefer it when I need to be in the gear I want to be in (i.e. heavy snow, flooding).

I wanted small. I have a family of 6. Nothing out there could handle the above, except a Bronco/Blazer/early Ramcharger, and so on, with a front bench. So, since nothing can handle that, I ignored the need to carry all. Plus, I have a 4wd Suburban already to carry the clan as needed.

I wanted a 2-speed transfer case. I also wanted body on frame.

Wants? Well, decent mileage would be nice, a rep for durability, perhaps?

The choices I had in mind for "The New Hotness, post-crash" included the following:
  • Isuzu Amigo
  • small LandCruiser
  • small Jeep? LIke...earlier than now?
  • Scout
  • Sammy or Tracker
  • Toyota Blizzard, if one ever dropped out of the heavens
  • Sure, a Dodge Raider, though I don't think they are soft tops
  • Pajero?

I narrowed things down a bit, but I was willing to accept warts because I wasn't spending 10k, and I really need to know how to do some of the stuff that I would need to do. Some of the stuff.

That Copart pic from above was hanging around for a month or so, at least when i first saw it, set up for a future sale. Then, it went live, and I bid up to 1k to start. A day in...auction cancelled.

Went live again. I went to $1k again, and it sat there; my last bid was something like $800, but Copart's auction format is utter garbage. I was watching, and was ready to jump in, but with minutes left in the auction, the auction ended in a sale, and I was not the high bidder. High bid was like $950 or so. VAS IS DIS????

So, unlike eBay, if you have the next low bid, you win automatically if the top bid retracts, and the seller says they'll take your second-place bid. They did...and here we are.

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,225
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #2 on: Aug 28, 2017, 03:30:09 AM »
Hi utherjorge,

Okie Dokie....  Well that explains a lot.  Nice write up.

Sorry to read your "need" to start a new project was because your Tracker was totaled by alcoholic abuse.

It's always very interesting to understand where a guy (or gal)  is coming from, and where they are going, when venturing off into the 4x4 world.

It sounds like you enjoy the whole thing with fabbing and swapping.  I've only done a few swaps and each one was a challenge.  I had help from friends with fully equipped machine/fab shops, so that made it less painful - both from a time, cost and design perspective.

The eventual outcome was very nice, but there where a number of unexpected speed bumps.

I didn't catch the "purpose" for your build.  I assume  you want to wheel it some.  There, of course, is a wide range of 4-wheeling, from very mild to very extreme.

The hobby/sport of 4-wheeling has been incredibly fun for me over many years. but there is one aspect that has always been a negative about it, and that is it seems almost all the guys that I know who started with a really nice vehicle went through a phase of modifications (lots of time and money) to make it more capable, and eventually (within a few years) the vehicle was totally trashed.

In 1994 when my 1st 1986 longbed was totaled (happened off-highway), then in 2002, when my 1985 standard cab was totaled (happened off-highway), I figured someone was sending me a wake-up call, so I decided to get out of wheeling.  My craving for another Toy truck ended in 2006 when bought my current 1986 22RE SR5 XtraCab.  So... here I am.

It will be fun to track your project.  :beerchug:

Best of luck.

Gnarls. :spin:

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

utherjorge [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 28, 2017, 04:17:42 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

As far as purpose, where I live, there are plenty of off-road trails. We even have a significant National Forest here, so there are roads and paths a plenty. Had I kept the Blazer, and gotten it to actually work, it would be too wide for a lot of it. I love a V8 as much as anyone, but I can get my fix for that power and sound in my Suburban.

Plus, we do occasional trips to Delmarva and Michigan, and I've seen a lot of places I would like to see more of...but I have to get in there. Clearance and width issues would preclude me from taking the Burb in, though I've tried a bit. So, first order of business is to explore all around here and the forest, but with a nephew who is an avid outdoorsman at U Michigan, the UP has been calling me for some time, too.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2017, 06:48:01 AM »
... it would be too wide for a lot of it.....but I have to get in there. Clearance and width issues would preclude me from taking the Burb in...

Yes.... size matters!  :greengrin:

Gnarls.  :ha_ha:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

utherjorge [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2017, 07:06:59 AM »
After re-reading the material at WARFS about doing an engine swap, I'm pretty nervous about the front axles. Second guessing the swap...but getting that 2z and an entire electrical system and fuel delivery system for $750 or lower is a powerful incentive. Plus...it looks like the Tacoma dash will fit, so I can simply dump the Rocky stuff and use the whole shebang; the Rocky is wider...though I have to see the dash width in the 1998 tacoma to be sure. There appears to be space on either side to trim with a band saw...but now we're getting nuts...

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #6 on: Aug 28, 2017, 09:06:50 AM »
LET THE FUN BEGIN!!   :willynilly:

Gnarls. :clap:

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #7 on: Aug 28, 2017, 10:31:14 AM »
very cool, ill watch
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #8 on: Aug 29, 2017, 04:09:10 AM »
Hey utherjorge,

You and the other "Rocky" fans, have probably already read this.  It has some very interesting information on potential engine swaps.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/newbie-general-4x4-discussion/1707098-best-modern-4-banger-engine-swap-1990-daihatsu-rocky.html

Gnarls.

utherjorge [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 29, 2017, 04:33:12 AM »
Yes sir. I have read that.

You'll notice that there were two suggestions that were almost immediately ignored: a 2rz and AMC 2.5. I am all about the first, but honesty, there are about a billion (I counted) of these things around me, and perhaps it would typically be easier to find an AMC 2.5 than a 2rz, in general, but if I'm doing Toyota axles, I figured I should stick to the whole drivetrain.

It looks like people there are suggesting an Ecotec, and those, too are around...but not very common. We have a few popular dirt tracks around here and those Ecotecs are snatched up where they appear cheap for use in racing.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #10 on: Aug 29, 2017, 09:12:35 AM »
Yes sir. I have read that.

You'll notice that there were two suggestions that were almost immediately ignored: a 2rz and AMC 2.5. I am all about the first, but honesty, there are about a billion (I counted) of these things around me, and perhaps it would typically be easier to find an AMC 2.5 than a 2rz, in general, but if I'm doing Toyota axles, I figured I should stick to the whole drivetrain.

It looks like people there are suggesting an Ecotec, and those, too are around...but not very common. We have a few popular dirt tracks around here and those Ecotecs are snatched up where they appear cheap for use in racing.

are you trying to stay gas? what about a TDI swap?
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

6.2L V8

utherjorge [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 29, 2017, 01:54:16 PM »
Yes sir, I'd like to stay gas. I'm not even sure in Pennsylvania if I can swap a whole fuel style.

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 29, 2017, 02:00:22 PM »
Another idea... Why not a Wankel engine? A Wankel-engined Dahatsu Rocky would be the ultimate car for people who really know what they're doing, and don't mind hunting down obsolete parts, but it might just be the coolest car in the whole US...

utherjorge [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 29, 2017, 05:32:38 PM »
Hahahaha...it's already leakin', brother...

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #14 on: Aug 30, 2017, 05:52:05 AM »
Another idea... Why not a Wankel engine? A Wankel-engined Dahatsu Rocky would be the ultimate car for people who really know what they're doing, and don't mind hunting down obsolete parts, but it might just be the coolest car in the whole US...

The Wankel engine swap would be the ultimate nightmare!  And people who really know what they're doing would not do a Wankel engine swap.

If today's violent anarchists were to decide to go from historical statues to automotive engines, the Wankel name, and inventor, would inflame the most insane radicals to protests beyond chaotic violence.

Gnarls.

utherjorge [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sep 01, 2017, 07:47:08 AM »
So I don't hijack Lewis' thread anymore, here's what's cooking right now, and advice is most welcome.

1. I don't want to spoil anything, but I have a solid solution to the bumper situation. As is: the stockers are flimsy sheet metal, and wouldn't stand up to anything. Better protection is coming. More about that later, because...

2. 50mm/2 inch body lift on the way from down under. Not sure when she'll show up.

3. So, the local 2rzfe 2wd Tacoma is still on sale. Not too far from me, someone is parting out a 2001 Tacoma with a 5-spd. The 5 speed was attached to a 2.7 3rz which is long gone.

So, what years 5spds out of Tacomas would mount to a 2rzfe? I guess I need to have a tranny with the rear shift location to clear the Rocky's dash. I searched and couldn't find a thread that covered this exact thing.

EDIT: I'm copying this first part from a now-inactive user at the WARFs site:
"you should look for a w or g model transmission(i know the 84 is what you have) but the shifter is in the top of the transmission on that erra, after about 87 and into the 90\'s they relocated the shifter back to the rear of the transmission(actually very close to the rocky style where its out of the transmission all together) its called a rear shift i think, plus its a 5spd.  you might look around for one if you can find it cheap enough it might be the better option"

A later reply in the same thread said this:
"Found a w56 with the same transfer case but also top shift from an 87 4 Runner."

Are there labels/model numbers/a year range any of you guys can help with?
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2017, 07:55:55 AM by utherjorge »

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #16 on: Sep 01, 2017, 08:29:55 AM »
Are there labels/model numbers/a year range any of you guys can help with?

the marlin store has a ton of transmission info.

https://www.marlincrawler.com/transmission/rebuilt-complete

check out the table at the top of the page for a brief listing, but you also have this https://www.marlincrawler.com/tech/transmission/transmission-gear-ratio-chart
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

utherjorge [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sep 01, 2017, 09:08:18 AM »
Thank you for those: that's very helpful.

So, is the top-shift output at the rear of the housing? Is it fair to say that the top shift is the "rear shift?"

EDIT: the tops do indeed appear to match the "rears" I've seen.

I'll stop asking silly questions until I settle on an engine that I'm going to post: if I suddenly find a 3rz then I'll have to ask all over, and I hate to waste your guys' time.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #18 on: Sep 01, 2017, 09:13:17 AM »
the trans all shift in the same spot, its where the tcase lever is located that changes/varies. top shift refers to the shifter on the tcase being directly on top of the tcase. and the other style is forward shift, where the tcase shifter is actually on the tailhousing of the trans.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #19 on: Sep 01, 2017, 09:14:56 AM »
Forward style

Top Style
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

utherjorge [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sep 01, 2017, 09:26:58 AM »
Gah. More confusion for me.

In the WARFs threads, where they swap to a 22 4 banger, the comment is made that they needed the "rear shift," where the shifter is as gar back as possible. Otherwise, where it pokes out is directly in the dashboard. The "rear" shift supposedly pops out right where the existing hole is for the Rocky 5spd.

Of course, if the 2z has a longer block, and when mounted correctly, it's further backward, perhaps this problem does not exist. In other words, maybe the 22 needs the "rear" shift due to a shorter block, and maybe the 2z is longer on its own.

I have looked before for both block sizes and weights and haven't found them. In a cool build thread where a 3.0 v6 was swapped into a Rocky, it fit just fine.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #21 on: Sep 01, 2017, 10:47:30 AM »
Gah. More confusion for me.

In the WARFs threads, where they swap to a 22 4 banger, the comment is made that they needed the "rear shift," where the shifter is as gar back as possible. Otherwise, where it pokes out is directly in the dashboard. The "rear" shift supposedly pops out right where the existing hole is for the Rocky 5spd.

Of course, if the 2z has a longer block, and when mounted correctly, it's further backward, perhaps this problem does not exist. In other words, maybe the 22 needs the "rear" shift due to a shorter block, and maybe the 2z is longer on its own.

I have looked before for both block sizes and weights and haven't found them. In a cool build thread where a 3.0 v6 was swapped into a Rocky, it fit just fine.

then you dont want the trans with two shifter holes in the tailhousing (forward shift style) 3-4"~ position difference in trans shifter location when compared to a top shift (the style you want, only one shifter hole on the housing)

and the engine can only go back so far regardless of the engine length. itll just stickout further forward.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

utherjorge [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sep 23, 2017, 09:39:33 AM »
The body lift kit is in! All the way from the UK!

I'll be working on getting it in this Sunday and next, methinks. Pics to come, of course.

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Oct 21, 2017, 08:07:23 AM »
Pics??

I'm curious to know how your build is coming...

utherjorge [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Oct 22, 2017, 07:13:46 AM »
Wellllllllllllllllllllllllll, it's not, really, at this point.

I had surgery late August, and while I was compiling stuff, I haven't had the time to get in there on a weekend: all of my girls are playing sports on the weekend: 3 playing outdoor soccer, one playing indoor soccer, one of them doing hoops now, and one on Varsity Volleyball on a team that has a very good chance to win some titles. So....yeah.

However, now that practice during the week is done, I think I can begin doing the body lift. I can probably bang that out myself over the course of a week.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #25 on: Oct 23, 2017, 11:21:48 AM »
Wellllllllllllllllllllllllll, it's not, really, at this point.

I had surgery late August, and while I was compiling stuff, I haven't had the time to get in there on a weekend: all of my girls are playing sports on the weekend: 3 playing outdoor soccer, one playing indoor soccer, one of them doing hoops now, and one on Varsity Volleyball on a team that has a very good chance to win some titles. So....yeah.

However, now that practice during the week is done, I think I can begin doing the body lift. I can probably bang that out myself over the course of a week.

5 kids :yikes: girls at that. my 2 girls are enough lol
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

utherjorge [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Oct 25, 2017, 04:33:25 PM »
Haha...only four girls, but some play multiple sports. ASK ME HOW MANY MILES I DRIVE A YEAR FOR WEEKEND CHILDREN ATHLETICS

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #27 on: Oct 26, 2017, 04:03:24 AM »
Haha...only four girls, but some play multiple sports. ASK ME HOW MANY MILES I DRIVE A YEAR FOR WEEKEND CHILDREN ATHLETICS

If I had 4 daughters I would consider myself to be one of the most blessed fathers on Earth!!  :D

Gnarls.  :spin:

utherjorge [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Oct 26, 2017, 03:18:03 PM »
My friend, every day I get to work two jobs I love, and I get to take my daughters to the school where I teach, and they're about 100 feet from me at all times, every day. I'm the luckiest guy in the world.

AND I HAVE A ROCKY, TOO!

utherjorge [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jan 01, 2018, 08:41:21 AM »
OK, so I'm back!

Had some unexpected health issues and spent some time in the hospital, but hey...I'm still alive!

I know this because I finished the body lift on the Rocky by myself, so that's done. Months late, but why not?

Since I want to actually enjoy this little beast this summer, I'm pre-planning what I will do next fall when I "put her up" for the winter in 2018. I want to swap to Toyota axles ahead of doing more drivetrain stuff to it later. (I'm pretending I've solved the cooling issues I have, and that the engine will hold up fine. We will see).

So, if you fine folks could help: I will want to keep 5.29 gears in it, which I know are available; I've seen them online. What is an ideal Toyota axle to find for use under the rear end of a Rocky?

On the Pirate forum where I posted a similar question (http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/2537921-need-better-rear-axle-under-my-daihatsu-rocky.html), I had two responses: a Toyota 9.5 ("9.5" FJ 80 rear axle. Or a 9.5" third in a centered or custom housing") or a Liteace axle ("Liteace was choosen I think based on width (slightly narrower) and because the axle flanges could be more easily drilled for 5x5.5" pattern")

As I left that thread, there was a question that was unanswered regarding how common the swap was in the first place.

And, my next project with it right now is to grind out the interior floor to be ready for Monstaliner black on the floor while a couple other things work on the side. I have '93 Civic seats ready to go for it when the interior is done. Too cold to work out there on any actual painting, but the weathershmuck says it'll warm up in March for a bit.