Author Topic: East coast 3rd gen SAS....  (Read 31644 times)

Mike_amthor

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Apr '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: East coast 3rd gen SAS....
« Reply #30 on: Jan 10, 2016, 08:31:12 AM »
Looks great man! Where did you get you're seats from ? Are the comfortable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdtrail-toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 547
  • Male Posts: 238
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Jan 10, 2016, 08:53:59 AM »
They are actually just the factory Sr5 seats with wet oakle covers. They look a little different cause the covers don't sit completely flat on the back as if they were made for the Yota

mdtrail-toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jan 10, 2016, 09:26:53 AM »
                                                                            I may be getting a little to impatient to get my new shoes for the truck.  Trying to get a little caught up after Christmas. But i may order my 35's this week hopefully. I do have these old beat baja claws from my neighbor he gave me. But don't know if i want to track down a set of 15" rims and pay to have them mounted for only a few weeks. Im going with 35"x12.5 on a 17" rim. I  have almost always ran BFG's but now I am looking at the Mtr's.  But also I like having something a little different. Anyone ever ran the Kelly Tsr tires. I know they are made by goodyear and from all iv read people seem to like them and the price difference dosnt hurt either. Really looking for good wet weather and snow capability. Back were im at just to get up my driveway when it snows 4wd is a must.   Any thoughts on the TSR's. Thanks

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

mdtrail-toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Jan 10, 2016, 02:56:21 PM »
With the drag link over lapping the tie rod it was pretty clear i had to move the box forward. I ordered parts that i could get fairly quick. The box mount was nice but truthfully i wish a had waited to get Sky's flat billet arm with the counter sunk hole. And i would have liked the extra inch shorter it was. Than the one i got. Turned out good though.                                             Probably ended up moving the box forward a little over an inch and a half. Also was able to rotate it near flat. With the new position and Flat arm the castle had just the right clearance to the frame right were it starts it bend. And the tie rod , drag link angles are about perfect. Definitely worth the time and $. Besides the fact it would have never worked the way it was at first I now have the peice of mind not to have to worry about any binding while flexing.  A huge thanks to my buddy Andrew  it ended up being a lot bigger and more involved job than i original thought

mdtrail-toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Jan 11, 2016, 03:57:32 PM »
                                                                                                                   I was planning to have to either remove and re tube the steering shaft. Seems most have to go that direction. But i got to thinking and remembered i had an un used Toyota body lift sitting on the shelf in my shop. And sure enough it had an a very nice billet spacer included. Who ever said body lifts are worthless. Worked out perfect.  Without having to worry about the shaft being over extended without enough splines engaged.   Also I'm not sure with the 22re  if you may have the same issues but when doing the inside steering box plates i had to completely remove my radiator. It seemed to be mostly the lower hose in the way at least to get it mocked up. But once we were in there doing the final welds it was necessary to have the whole thing out :hammerhead:.  Even with having it a good 1 1/2" forward i didn't have to cut into the core support or body mount at all which i was happy with

« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2016, 05:07:07 PM by mdtrail-toy »

blackb13se-r

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -81
  • Male Posts: 50
  • Member since Mar '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Jan 11, 2016, 05:35:15 PM »
I have a set of 15x10's. Just pass them baja claws right on to me. Lol
This thing is good look good.

mdtrail-toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Jan 11, 2016, 06:43:21 PM »
Thanks man. Well after a lot of looking around for something nice but different from what everyone else is running ( who am I kidding they were also a hell of a lot cheaper) I ordered my new tires today. Ended up going with the Kelly safari TSR in a 315/ 70/ 17"  :bling:. Made by good year with a very similar tread pattern to the Duratrac. But in my opinion overall look a little my aggressive. Supposed to be great wet and snow tires which is my biggest need. Don't know how tough the side wall is going to be compared to the MTR w/ Kevlar  but I'm extremely happy with the choice.   
I have a set of 15x10's. Just pass them baja claws right on to me. Lol
This thing is good look good.

Hell I'll ask him about the Claws He's rockin the military style Goodyears on a 16.5" now. Actually has a bad :moon: YJ with a 4bt cummins. But he's got no use for them Id let u have them now but he may not like me giving em away a week after he gave em to me.  But he may not care if so they'r all you bud :thumbs:

blackb13se-r

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Jan 12, 2016, 02:24:05 AM »
When I was at mr.tire the duratracs were popular. I hear the side wall is weak though.

And sweet on the tires lmk. Thanks.

mdtrail-toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Jan 12, 2016, 06:32:25 AM »
Yea I definitely wasn't feeling the Duratrac anyway. look like a good tire but every other jeep rolling around has them. :thumbdown: .

mdtrail-toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Jan 12, 2016, 12:38:54 PM »
Hey guys I could use some opinions on setting up my shocks and bumpstops for the front. So im running A.P. 4" springs with 12" bilstein's. I cycled them through the best I could without breaking it down to just the main leaf. What I came up with was #1 on the shocks I have about 3" of shaft exposed and #2 on the bump stops just about a 2" gap between stop and the pad.   :dunno:    The shocks sound about ok I don't want to go thru the wheel well and shouldn't have to only running a 12" But on the stops only a 2" gap sounds a little small. I know how it kind of acts like a pivot point but....  I'm aware its going to very fro truck to truck and theres not one concrete answer but any Help or info would be awesome  :help:  Thanks

OVRAROK

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26778
  • Male Posts: 3,527
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Jan 12, 2016, 12:57:36 PM »
I just went out to my truck, I have ruf's, but I have 12" bilsteins as well, I have 4" of shock and 2.75" from stop to pad, I set mine up using a fork lift, my main goal was getting bumpstop to actually compress, and stop the spring from going beyond flat(negative arch)
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

mdtrail-toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Jan 12, 2016, 02:47:28 PM »
Absolutely. That is we're I had taken my measurements from too I didn't want to get to flat and install the stops trying to compensate for a little bit of give with them.  Actually just about 3 1/2" with the shocks so I think that should be ok. The part that really throws me off is using a 2" gap as it measured out to be with the  T.G. bump stop kit the pad will be cut down to only about an inch and a half from over 4". Now I know it's a universal part for different applications but just looked odd especially compared to pictures of other close set ups I've seen.  Thanks for the info appreciate getting the info for me :biggthumpup:

mdtrail-toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Jan 12, 2016, 02:56:39 PM »
Also I just don't know what the deal is with my All pro springs. maybe its just me but they just don't seem to have the arch I guess I was expecting out of them. Still haven't driven the truck yet and they just seem to look a little flat to me.  :dunno: maybe its just me. and with looking a little flat possibly throwing me off with the bumpstops

mdtrail-toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Jan 13, 2016, 12:17:17 PM »
                     Going to be another week or two before  i can get em on but my truck is going to be happy with it's new shoes

blackb13se-r

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Jan 13, 2016, 12:40:51 PM »
Nice. They do look a lot like the duratracs.

mdtrail-toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Jan 14, 2016, 05:05:59 AM »
                        With the good part of the front wrapped up it was time to get to the rear.  Using 63's out of a 94 2wd. 3+1 With the Sky-manufactioring full kit with U bolt flip . I later changed up the pack a bit to get the ride hide dialed in.                                                            May be tough to see but both sides of the rear frame were it isn't boxed had seen better day's. Both had a little wave in it and on the passenger side one of the holes had actually been ripped thru and bent completely open. So we ended up using a 1/4" peice of angle steel to beef it up and tie it into the boxed section. At this point I still needed to access the factory rear bumper mounts so didn't want to completely box to the end yet. Ended up using about a 9" section of angle on the bottom wrapped onto the outside of the frame. Hoping to tie it into boxed section,  give it some strength and also it gave me a nice clean flat surface to weld to.  Also capped the end to box it.                               
The shackle angle in the picture was just tacked on were we stoped for the day. Later moved the hanger forward a bit for a better angle

« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2016, 07:20:00 AM by mdtrail-toy »

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #46 on: Jan 14, 2016, 05:38:25 AM »
Man please tell me when you get these new tires your going to get some wheels as well?
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

mdtrail-toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Jan 14, 2016, 07:30:31 AM »
Man please tell me when you get these new tires your going to get some wheels as well?
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 What not digging the  :bling: 17's . They are the best kind available.....FREE.   But for real they actually came of an Escalade we sent to the auction. I threw on a set of 20's I had floating around and sent it away.  It actually had some hub adapters on the cadi so the correct size hub was actually for a Yota. Atleast I didn't go with the o.g. chrome like they were :stopit:  sanded and painted em black.  As long as the backspacing works that what im rockin for a while. Justified a good reason for the tires with the wife new wheels may be pushin it  :whip: for a while at least

mdtrail-toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Jan 15, 2016, 04:59:23 AM »
                                                             With the 3rd gen and 51" springs i went 9 1/2"s forward with the front spring hanger                            After putting on the extra plating it wasn't as simple as going 2" back from stock with the shackle mount. I had to remove the factory hangers in preparation for plating the frame.  When finishing the first day i had an angel of about 15deg. Which wasn't going to work correctly. So when we got back at it cut the tacked on hanger and moved it 1 1/2" forward. Ending up with 29 deg. exactly.  Toughest part of the whole set up was probably making sure the new wider hangers were centered so the spring perches on the axel. Especially in the rear were the factory was already gone for reference.  Also on the front passenger side hanger my original plan was to remove the bed and drop the tank. I had already done this before by myself.....that was fun. But with time not on my side. We ended up drilling a hole for a plug weld and fully welded the 3 exposed sides. Sure as hell should be plenty strong.

mdtrail-toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Jan 15, 2016, 06:38:17 AM »

mdtrail-toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Jan 15, 2016, 02:16:03 PM »
Wanted to make sure out of everything done on the truck that the brakes were all good. Ended up with 26" braided lines front and rear. But also wanted to keep the lspv in working order. Still like to use my truck as a truck to haul stuff.                                     Made some simple double sheer style brackets for the rear. I was able to get it high enough that i could adjust it a bit to make work as it would  stock.                                                                            For the front nothing wrong with a few zip ties but figured it would be nice not to have the hard line flopping around and getting pulled.  Made 2 little tabs for either side. I was able to find some plate i had around that was the perfect thickness so i could still use the factory flat and c clips to hold the lines in place.

mdtrail-toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Jan 15, 2016, 02:44:38 PM »
Also anybody have any issues with bending the caliper hard line to work with backing plate clip.  When i cut down the backing plate i made sure to keep the clip area still usable. But just hasn't seemed like I can get it bent correct to actually go up and thru the bracket. As of now it's just zip tied to it until i redo my rear and have to bleed the brakes again next week.  Any pictures would be great if anyone has em .  Thanks guys

mdtrail-toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Jan 16, 2016, 05:00:42 AM »
Hey Blackb13. You do any welding. I've been on hold with this for the last2 weeks trying to get someone up here to help me finish shock hoops and bump stops. :help:  If so p.m. me  all my big stuff is done and been frustrating as hell not getting finished over simple ish  . Make sure its worth wild  :thumbs:

blackb13se-r

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Jan 16, 2016, 05:15:52 AM »
I'm a novice. My stuff is stuck to the truck. But looks like :pokinit: lol.

mdtrail-toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Jan 16, 2016, 08:40:38 AM »
I hear ya. Been on hold with my neighbor back at college he took his 120 hobart and cant get anyone else to drag theirs up here

blackb13se-r

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Jan 16, 2016, 11:36:57 AM »
What do u need welded?

mdtrail-toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Jan 16, 2016, 12:42:07 PM »
What do u need welded?

Front shock hoops , bump stops and rear shock tabs onto the axel. Just frustrating the hell out of me. Held up by a few small things. Can't even drive it to my buddy's shop with no shocks on all 4 corners it's one hell of a pain.  It wasn't an issue when I had the welder here but now  :smack: Can't even get out to give it a good shake down run to find any issues   Either way I never heard back about the tires I'll try him again today. He's out on Ohio at college chasing girls

blackb13se-r

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Jan 16, 2016, 12:47:15 PM »
I know ur pain. I don't have my own welder either. Have to use friends and my old jobs.
And cool. Thanks for inquiring.

mdtrail-toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Jan 17, 2016, 04:21:30 PM »
Well supposed to get our first real snow of the year out here later this week and my truck still isn't ready to roll. Thought i had it all planned out good when i started in November. I'LL be good for smow this year right.......   Still left to do.  Hopefully pick up rear 5.29's this week been waiting for about a month. Install into new clean housing . Burn on new rear pearches and lowe shock mounts.  Front Shocks and bumps.  Give er a good shake down run. Hopefully i can fit all that in and make it happen by Friday. But for now a few more pics After initially installing the 63's with the f 3 + overload i wasn't overall happy with the front to back height. Not bad but thought it could b a little better. Plus my rear pinion angle was complete crap.    I ended up pulling the springs out again and try to mix and match to get them dialed in a little better at least for now until i get this thing driving again and can get a better feel for it.  Ended up breaking down my old 51" rears that came out of this truck. Yanked the a.a.l.  yea yea i know not preferable  But may end up running them for a bit. Also used a much shorter and thinner overload from a 48" pack i had sitting around. Actually ended up with the same size pack with the 2 Toy springs instead of the Chevy overload alone. Pinion angle was still piss poor witg my 2 piece shaft So I ran out and grabbed really the only size shims I could find locally. Ended up with a 4 deg..  And i looks a lot better and from the short distance i have driven don't have any more vibration while on the throttle. I do have a fresh rear housing I'm getting prepped so i will get new perches to rotate and set the correct angle..  Things seem to have come to a halt while waiting on rear gears but when they are done hopefully good to go
                                                                           last picture is with the much shorter Toyota overload in place of the chevy.
« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2016, 04:32:44 PM by mdtrail-toy »

WaffleLux

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 169
  • Male Posts: 55
  • Member since Sep '15
  • Shed Crawlin'
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #59 on: Jan 17, 2016, 08:11:03 PM »
Man I love a black extra cab.