Author Topic: Motorcycle gloove repair  (Read 591 times)

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5545
  • Male Posts: 3,413
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Motorcycle gloove repair
« on: Dec 21, 2015, 09:49:50 PM »
A little hole has started in the left thumb of my favorite gloves.....

What kind of glue can I use that will seep into the pores of leather and stay flexible so I can glue a patch over the hole?

Thanks
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2047
  • Male Posts: 8,730
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: Motorcycle gloove repair
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2015, 01:11:53 AM »
shoo goo
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
Re: Motorcycle gloove repair
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2015, 11:03:08 AM »
It's not likely to last unless you can sew it...but, scuff an area on the glove a bit bigger than the intended patch with sand paper. Assuming you're going to use the rough side of the patch you shouldn't need to scuff it. Put a light coat (no puddles) of contact cement on the mating surfaces, let it air dry. Then apply another light coat to the glove side...let it get almost dry, just a little tack, then position the patch and press together. Lay the thumb patch side up, as flat as you can and using the plastic handle of a small tool press in the center the pull to the out side of the patch...repeat in a sun ray fashion until you've gone around the whole patch, paying particular attention to the edges. I'm afraid no matter how good a job you do the repair won't last long. Obviously it's a high wear spot. Make the patch quite a bit larger than the hole...you'll need at least 1/4 of patch around the hole so the glue will hold, but you also want the edges of the patch to be away from the main stress area.

Long winded...but the advice is worth what you paid. I could patch it almost as quick as tell you how.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)