Author Topic: Diff swap... No abs.  (Read 2882 times)

mdtrail-toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 547
  • Male Posts: 238
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Diff swap... No abs.
« on: Dec 09, 2015, 06:41:54 PM »
So after all my planning and pats collecting I just finished my sas and rear springs. For my gears I used font and rear V6 diffs. that I already had as spares. My question is my truck is a 90' ex cab V6 SR5. and had came factory with what I am pretty sure is an abs sensor in the rear diff. on the top side with 2 bolts holding it in. I don't have my other 3rd hear waiting to pick it up from getting gears installed but im pretty sure the one that's getting the 5.29's does not have the sensor port. So now that i just noticed this #1 did I totally screw up by over looking this sensor  :hammerhead:   #2 Am I correct that this is an abs sensor which I guess was standard with SR5 and options for other models.  #3 Im to far now to take and switch my 3rds and install gears into the one with sensor port So what do I do????    If the truck is equipped with abs id like to have it but if not an option what can I do      Just unplug it or cap it off and if so will this cause any problems . or is there any way to relocate it which I doubt is an option.   Any info or Opinions would be awesome   Thanks guys as always   Bryden

mdtrail-toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Diff swap... No abs.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2015, 06:43:57 PM »

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

SlayTank

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 234
  • Member since Apr '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2015, 07:48:37 PM »
Ya, its a ABS sensor. If you have ABS it will probably turn the ABS light on. Thats all I know as I have a 1985 truck.

I will say I personally don't like ABS systems anyway. I took a driving corse awhile back where they taught us to control wheel lock up and keep control. When the ABS kicks on in my 96 4runner it catches me off guard and it throws off my focus/muscle memory. Thats just me. ABS is probably better if you just jam the brakes. But after being trained to pump/feather the brakes it throws me off.

Good Luck

mdtrail-toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2015, 08:43:29 PM »
Yea I don't doubt my driving ability with different set ups I drive something different every day at my lot. But I put a lot of effort into having everything on my truck as it should be. The abs light being on would absolutely drive me insane. So the sensor port should be the only difference in the diff' s?   I'm going to go buy the guy's place doing my gears and if not to late I'm going to try and give him my factory 3rd.  Bad feeling I'm too late though. Will update asap. Thanks

SlayTank

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 234
  • Member since Apr '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2015, 08:55:01 PM »
DANG! hope you catch him in time! the abs port is the only difference.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2015, 09:15:13 PM »
did you catch him in time?
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

mdtrail-toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2015, 08:43:03 AM »
I did get to the shop in time he had already broke down the 4.10 case I left with him but hadn't started to set up 529's  . Which is good and a pain all at once . the 4.10's were the only other complete  set up I had. So when I take him the abs diff my truck will be un movable. Don't drive it enough to need it but don't want it stuck in my shop either. But at least I wont have to delete the abs or have the stupid dash light on . thanks guys

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2015, 02:56:06 PM »
There are serrations on the rig gear that the sensor reads. I doubt that the aftermarket gear set will have them, hence the ABS will not work. The light may still stay on and you could throw a check engine code. The ABS is tied into the ECU.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26778
  • Male Posts: 3,525
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2015, 01:32:11 PM »
you can always plug abs back in and zip tie it up and out of the way, light will go off
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

mdtrail-toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2015, 03:59:31 PM »
Actually after doing a good bit more research on it I found that some people were able to delete the sensor with out throwing a code and having the obnoxious idiot lite come on. They were able to follow the wire to the engine bay to a control box and undo it there. That sounds a little to simple but I'll start with that at least when I get my gears back in a week or 2.  And as far as plugging it back in what did you mean.  The diff I am using first have the opening for the sensor. We're in lied my concerns. But hell if anyone else may have suggestions I'm all ears.  Thanks guys

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2015, 04:45:15 PM »
you can always plug abs back in and zip tie it up and out of the way, light will go off

When my friend another rearend in his runner he had to unplug some relays because it was throwing codes to the computer and lighting up his check engine light. When he removed the relay/control box it quit throwing codes

What a lot of people do with the hole in the housing is measure it and go to a real parts store and get an engine freeze plug and put it in the hole. Marlin may sell them, but I would check the parts store so you do not have to pay shipping.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

mdtrail-toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2015, 06:53:31 PM »
hey OOPS yea its a relay that gets unplugged in the engine bay at least from what iv read. But good to hear im not the only one that has run into this issue. But as far as the hole, you may be thinking backwards on it. My factory sensor has the hole in the 3rd . that one is getting replaced with an extra 3rd I had that does not have the hole. So plugging the hole wouldn't be the issue just what to do with the abs wire that went to it. I had never heard anyone ever even mention the abs until I realized I had it while doing my 63's. Ill post up how I make out when I get it installed hopefully maybe I can contribute some usefull info for once rather than just troll for my own project help :hammerhead: