Author Topic: '83 4x4 electrical issues  (Read 2392 times)

83 yoter

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 118
  • Member since Feb '15
  • improve a little more each day!
    • View Profile
'83 4x4 electrical issues
« on: Nov 22, 2015, 07:15:30 PM »
So as the title says i've been having some electrical issues with my '83 4wd hilux for some time now. I'll explain some of whats going on as best I can while not throwing a narrative at you guys. For some time now the charge and brake light intermitently turn on and then off. It's completely random but doesn't seem to be affecting the battery or alternator at the moment. 6 months ago the the same issue was going on and the battery until that point had been doing great maintaining at 14.1 volts while driving to and from work. Slowly over the course of 2 weeks it started dropping to 12 and then wouldn't start so I replaced the alternator. It's been doing fine since then but the charge and brake light still intermitently turn on and off. Then yesterday I went out hunting and 2 hours into driving she started running like :pokinit:, sputtering and having lots of trouble especially in 1st thru 3rd gears. Kind of like when the timing is real bad, a cylinder isn't firing or has a real weak spark. This kept going on almost all the way home until I got within 1 mile of my house she just started running like normal again. No sputtering, no stalling, nothing.......like it never happened. This entire time the charge and brake lights stayed on but voltage constantly stayed at 14.1 volts. I think the distributor may be going bad but I want a second opinion before I throw down the $$$ for another one. Here are a few things that have been replaced in the course of the last 5 years as far as the ignition and electrical system go.
-New alternator June 2015
-New ignition coil 2014
-New voltage regulator 2014
-New battery 2014
-New battery +/- terminal connectors
-New LC pro spark plug wires 2014
-New distributor cap fall 2014
-New starter 2013
-New bosch spark plugs 2013

All these things have been done plus I have repaired a few wires and terminals here and there. I'm very certain all connections are correct and there are no more faulty wires but i'm not 100% certain. The distributor cap was clean as a whistle when I checked it but the distributor itself is the oem nippondenso with 227k miles on it and looked a little corroded. I'm fairly certain it needs replaced but I want to know what you guys think. It could be a couple issues, could be the distributor.....I don't know. All I know is this is finally starting to drive me insane! I'd appreciate and input you guys might have.

Toyotadon

• Online Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 388
  • Male Posts: 267
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
Re: '83 4x4 electrical issues
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2015, 10:30:07 AM »
The charge & brake light issue sounds more like a connection problem.  I'd be looking first at all your grounds, from the battery to the block, as well as body & general grounds.  Looking at them with your eyes will only tell so much, so the best way is with a voltmeter by connecting the red lead to the wire near the ground point, then the black lead to the negative terminal of the battery.  If you are reading any voltage, there is resistance in the circuit, causing a voltage drop.
The next thing I'd say to take a look at is the fuse box for any loose connections.  You can actually use the voltage drop test in these locations as well; it works with any circuit that is live & operating.

HTH

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2015, 11:35:38 AM »
Had the same problem mine was a bad relay.
passenger side kick panel has a small relay labeled "charge lamp relay" this will cause the charge and brake light to stay illuminated when the truck is running. simply unplug it and they will go off for good. if you want them to actually function in the event of a malfunction replace it. oriellys keeps them in stock

83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

Toyotadon

• Online Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 388
  • Male Posts: 267
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2015, 11:34:39 PM »
So, if it's the relay, that would only explain the lights, right?  The rough running could be a separate issue?

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2015, 03:28:25 PM »
Yes that would handle the lights, the running issue I'd check for the ground at the head to firewall, at the fender and battery, then at your ignition coil.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
06 tacoma street truck

83 yoter [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2015, 07:47:51 PM »
Yes that would handle the lights, the running issue I'd check for the ground at the head to firewall, at the fender and battery, then at your ignition coil.

I thought about the relay once before but I thought to myself if it was a bad relay then why does in turn on and off instead of just staying on all the time? I think your right about there being a bad ground somewhere, but where......i'm not sure. The coil ground and fender to battery ground are both in good shape and properly connected but I'm not too sure about the condition of the head to firewall ground so i'll check that first when I get some time.

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2015, 06:22:15 AM »
Those engines can do some strange things when those wires get some corrosion inside of them or on them.
06 tacoma street truck

83 yoter [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2015, 07:38:31 PM »
So I took a look this weekend to see if I could find any bad connections. Ignition coil ground is good, however, the head to firewall ground is gone....like completely gone. Not a trace of a bolt or any wire. The battery to fender ground is good but that's the only ground I can find, there's no other grounds coming off the battery. So...I could have found the culprits, will get to it here soon and see what happens.....as soon as I replace the all the intake and exhaust valves on my wife's kia :( Oh and yes I do have the correct alternator and regulator.