Author Topic: High volts coming out of battery (15 at 3k rpm)  (Read 807 times)

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
High volts coming out of battery (15 at 3k rpm)
« on: Nov 08, 2015, 01:42:43 PM »
OK, hello everyone
errr
1983-1985 toyota pickup "FrankenTruck"...Solid axle 22r,4x4, poorly wired by previous owner

So a few weeks ago I hopped in my truck, and my truck has the charge and brake light come on, until it's revved to around 1.5k...then the volt meters goes up to regular and the lights go off.

So when I got in, I noticed the lights weren't coming off, and the truck wasn't charging. I hopped out, looked at the alt and saw a wire hanging low. It snapped right off the pigtail.

I looked at the pigtail, tried to get the terminals, and for the life of me couldn't get it out. I was looking on ebay, forums, etc and just checked Craigslist and found a guy who had Toyota parts, and 83-90 trucks.
I asked him about a pigtail, he said 20 bucks for the whole harness clip in piece, and I said no. I noticed I had no choice, called him back and drove to his yard. Turns out there is a "green" alternator and a "black" alternator, and he had the green plug (I guess I have the black alt, because the yellow wire is slightly offset). He had the green pigtail, and I didn't take it since it wouldn't fit. Good news is (besides he does the 63" swap for 150 dollars) he got the terminals out, at the cost of not knowing 100% where they came from. (I knew for a fact the yellow wire was at the offset plug, but he guessed the other plugs from memory of what he did). I have just soldered them into new wires, put the plug back together and heatshrinked everything nicely. Turns out all the sudden, for the first time I've seen, the lights go off, the volt meters goes to normal, and everything looks good. I give it a slight rev and the dashboards volt meter is going past the markings. I put a nice volt meter up to the battery and under about 2.5-3k RPM and it was reading 15 volts.

I shut the truck off and here I am.
I have a few questions,

Does it sound like symptoms of the wires hooked up wrong?

Did the voltage regulator just go bad out of the blue?

And also any other help would be greatly appreciated.

:turtle: :turtle: :turtle:       THANK YOU        :turtle: :turtle: :turtle:
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
From an '85FSM

You can get a digital copy here. 
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod