Author Topic: opinions - long or short bed; 20r vs 22r; 4-speed for dd  (Read 1860 times)

jmac80

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 144
  • Male Posts: 184
  • Member since Sep '15
  • DD and trail rider
    • View Profile
opinions - long or short bed; 20r vs 22r; 4-speed for dd
« on: Sep 15, 2015, 11:56:21 AM »
Hi-

I'm in the market for a 1st gen.  The last one I had was 81 and the 4 gear tranny was junk when I got it.  I had just rebuilt a w56 for a 93 and then promptly wrecked it, so the rebuild w56 went into the 1st gen.  I was set up for several thousand miles with a solid dd truck.....22r and 5-speed w56.  I've now moved to Oakland, CA and have no shop......probably shouldn't by a 35 year old truck but what the H#LL.

I drove down to San Jose yesterday afternoon to miss out on a 80 long bed by twenty minutes....I knew I was in a race with another guy to get there, so I can't blame the seller, as he told me on the front end.  That said, how practical is a 20R w/ 4-speed for driving on interstate?  Also, what's everyone's opinion on the long bed.....I've always had 22r or 22re w/ w56 in a short bed, and it was freaking AWESOME.

Past trucks - 95 extended cab; 89 reg cab; 90 reg cab; 81 reg cab.......now I'm in a 11 4-door cab w/ TRD off-road package w/ V-6 and auto......it's not for me
1980 long bed; 20R; L52; 3" OME; 30-spline Marfields; Marlin high steer; PS; AC

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
I love a long bed 1st gen.  With the long bed you can actually use it as a pickup.  Wheel base is nice for high speed dirt and climbing too.  If you still think it's to long bobbed long beds look sweet.

The 20r is a great engine.  Head flows better than a 22r, so what you lack in displacement you make up for in cylinder head.  When the 4 speed grenades slap a 5 speed in it.  When I got my '80 it had the 4 speed and I got 22 mpg on the interstate with it after a tune up.

When it comes to 1st gens, get what you can get.  Long or short they are vastly superior in many little ways.  '79 and '80 are my favorites.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Loved the 20r 2wd I had back in the '86.

Did you see this one http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/5188490911.html

If it is clean on the inside, it might be worth looking at.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,060
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
2nd Gen Extended Cab is my preference. Extra room and when you bob the bed you have great angles with a long wheelbase.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

jmac80 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 144
  • Male Posts: 184
  • Member since Sep '15
  • DD and trail rider
    • View Profile
Do you guys think the long beds ride better?  People say they do, but is it really that much different?  I haven't ridden in one since the late 90's and my memory is not that good.....too many good times breathing fumes in my short beds  :ha_ha: 

BTW Snowtoy - That 80 does look pretty sweet.  A little more than I wanted to spend, but it appears to be straight. I may follow up with them.  I need to broaden my CL searches to include Sacramento.  My setting is for SF Bay Area and guess it's not getting in there.

1980 long bed; 20R; L52; 3" OME; 30-spline Marfields; Marlin high steer; PS; AC

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,060
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Do you guys think the long beds ride better?  People say they do, but is it really that much different?  I haven't ridden in one since the late 90's and my memory is not that good.....too many good times breathing fumes in my short beds  :ha_ha: 

BTW Snowtoy - That 80 does look pretty sweet.  A little more than I wanted to spend, but it appears to be straight. I may follow up with them.  I need to broaden my CL searches to include Sacramento.  My setting is for SF Bay Area and guess it's not getting in there.

If the wheelbase is longer on a long bed then I would expect a smoother ride.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile

The ride difference is likely due to the extra weight of the long bed and the leverage the added weight and position of the spare have in relation to the axle compared to the standard bed.  This is really negligible for decision purposes since you can add weight to to a short bed to help soften the ride.  If you are 6' or taller and plan to camp out of the back or plan to haul a lot of 10' or longer items, the 7' bed would be the better choice, other than that it is a matter of what appeals to you visually, and what is available when you decide to buy.

Ya it is at the high end of the price range, but based on what on what your current ride and plans for use are, I figured I would post the nicer of the ones available.  There are cheaper ones in the area, Sac. and Gold Country, some under $1500.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod