Author Topic: 2015 Deer Season  (Read 4822 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
2015 Deer Season
« on: Sep 11, 2015, 09:34:09 PM »
In california most bow seasons are over and rifles are opening within a couple weeks, so I figure it's time to start the deer slayin thread!  Feel free to post pics of kills, sightings or scenery while out hunting, and share your stories of the hunt. 

I try to keep tidy threads on stuff like this, so please try to stay on topic and limit the rabbit trailing, which I'm often guilty of myself  :_oops:

With the heat and injuries this year, I've only spent a couple half assed hours in the woods and am going into this season even more blind than last year.  Only up side may be that I may possibly be in a tiny bit better shape this year since I've been riding my bicycle more, but if injuries keep plaguing me before the season, I will not be in decent shape at all.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Re: 2015 Deer Season
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2015, 09:45:35 PM »
Didn't you already get your deer for the year?

:cheese:
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2015, 01:02:51 PM »
Well, uuummm, not as such.  Not one I could or would tag, anyway.  I will go back at some point to see if the antlers are there, maybe after the maggots are done with stuff   :reg:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Dingman.

• Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2015, 05:56:03 PM »
Didn't you already get your deer for the year?

:cheese:

I see what you did there!!

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 2015, 01:30:03 AM »
And it begins in a few hours...

Still cleaning and packing - you always think you're waaaay ahead of where you are.  Good news was I took out the 243 and 308 and they were very on.  Could only muster a 25 yard range, but 2 shots with each produced 3 tight little holes.  Shot the 308 first, then when I shot the 243 I was :headscratch: for a second until I realized the bullet had just passed through the previous hole.  Just under the mark at 25 yards should put me roughly 3" high at 100 yards and close to dead on at 300.  Side to side was good, so no sense in messing with either.
RIP KYOTA

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 22, 2015, 04:28:19 PM »
I only shoot the cartridge of a real man, the .30-06 :gap:
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 22, 2015, 08:07:40 PM »
I see.  I do not measure my thingy by my cartridge, but if that works for you  :greengrin:  .308 is surprisingly more capable than the 06 in most loads with a much lighter kick and allowing a shorter action.  It is honestly more than I'd ever want to shoot a typical blacktail with, since many are barely larger than an anemic dog...
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 22, 2015, 08:11:48 PM »
Oh, and opener was a bust for me.  Saw no deer at all saturday, jumped 3-4 deer into the brush at absolute last light the second day, then again saw not 1 deer the 3rd day.  Called it before wasting the 4th day and being miserable and hot again.  I am very near giving up the sport if it continues to be so warm during deer season.  It was maybe around 50 degrees when I got up, but by the time I left the truck and got into the first bit of sun I was overheating, sweating and had to take off my long sleeve shirt.

Taking another several days off for the last week of the season and plan to bury myself in the alps if the weather is still warm.  Trying to talk a friend into going for another set of eyes and somebody to push over if a bear tries to eat us...
RIP KYOTA

ecrum428

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 23, 2015, 12:19:47 PM »
Man too bad you didn't have any luck.  Sounds totally different than what I'm used to hunting whitetails here in VT.  Our archery season starts first Saturday in Oct. and we don't have those warm temps.  I get frustrated if we don't have snow, let alone hunting in a tee shirt!  Good luck with the rest of your season.

Erich

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 23, 2015, 03:02:36 PM »
I see.  I do not measure my thingy...(cut for smaller post)...barely larger than an anemic dog...

Aw cmon I was just messing around lol
I'm looking to build an AR10 because I love the .30-06, the first day I shot a gun I shot a 12 gauge, a 22lr, and then a .30-06 hahaha.
The problem is the wood and rust. I took my 15 out Javelina hunting and it started pouring down rain...with my 870 it would have rusted shut, same with a model 700. The AR, I ran a snake through it, dried it off with a damp shirt and no rust was seen. (I even dropped my damn gun RIGHT on the scope into some mud when I slipped and busted my ass :smack:)

ryantowry_81

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 185
  • Male Posts: 474
  • Member since Dec '12
  • Chief Mischief Officer at High Octane Spirits LLC
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #10 on: Sep 23, 2015, 05:43:11 PM »
Aw cmon I was just messing around lol
I'm looking to build an AR10 because I love the .30-06, the first day I shot a gun I shot a 12 gauge, a 22lr, and then a .30-06 hahaha.
The problem is the wood and rust. I took my 15 out Javelina hunting and it started pouring down rain...with my 870 it would have rusted shut, same with a model 700. The AR, I ran a snake through it, dried it off with a damp shirt and no rust was seen. (I even dropped my damn gun RIGHT on the scope into some mud when I slipped and busted my ass :smack:)

sorry if off topic but most AR10's are 308 not 30-06. the longer case length of the 06 will make it tricky in a ar10

I plan on taking my ar10 deer hunting this year but only get weekends off because i have no time off left.

here is a pic of AR10:

(legal: pic was taken in different state so 20's were legal and are since gone and bullet button was added.)

hopefully i can get in enough time to get one this year.

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #11 on: Sep 23, 2015, 06:35:50 PM »
sorry if off topic but most AR10's are 308 not 30-06.

Yes I know AR10s are 308, that's why I told him I was joking about .30-06 being the one and only cartridge. 30-06 has its downsides, one being the platform is pretty bad, which is why the 308 gets a point in my book due to the AR10 platform. :gap:

EDIT: After rereading that, I see how poorly worded I made that. I have the problem of writing something, going back and changing small parts and then the final version makes no sense lol.

second EDIT: Nice rig, my 15 looks almost the same, it has a rail segment in the front of the barrel shroud for a bipod.

EDIT 3: I don't live in commiefornia so no bullet button on my rig  :biggthumpup:

H8PVMNT

• Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2015, 10:08:51 AM »
My oldest boy, 13, got his first buck this year.  We had been out a few times.  I shot  dinky forked horn a couple weeks ago for meat.  We had froze our butts off the evening before on a stand but nothing came in until after shooting light was over.  We decided the next day to do to our favorite hike in spot on state land.

The wind was blowing 20-40 mph so all the deer were hiding out in protected spots on the lee side of coulees and bluffs and in brushy canyons.  On the way in we saw two nice bucks right over the property line where we couldn't shoot them.  Another mile in we stared jumping deer out of their beds in the out of the wind spots.  A group of about twelve deer at about 250 yards across a really deep canyon had one decent 3 point in it.  Caleb set up for a shot but the deer never stopped running enough for him to take it.

We started heading over the next rise to peek into the next crevasse, and my dad spotted one more buck headed out of the canyon a bit further down than the 12 that had already high tailed it.  Caleb again set up, this time over his knee because we were on a very steep side hill.  The buck was walking steady up the other side of the canyon wall and an angle up hill at only 215 yards.  He had got to the only bench on the hill just about then.

Caleb has had a tough time setting up on shots on deer this year and getting comfortable taking the shot. It just hasn't been the right timing for him several times in a row this year.  He has been getting frustrated. Something happened this time though because he was on the buck for about 3 seconds and I was just about to spew some fatherly advice on the shot or to squeeze the trigger and right before I could say anything he .280 went off and the buck dumped like a sack of potatoes, right on the flat spot! 

No pawing, nothing, just dead.  Turns out he broke it's neck just in front of the shoulders.

We had to hike around about 45 minutes to get to the other side of the canyon.  We boned it out and took the hide and the skull plate/horns and got it out in one haul.  What a fun first buck!

« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2015, 12:31:52 PM by H8PVMNT »
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

ryantowry_81

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 185
  • Male Posts: 474
  • Member since Dec '12
  • Chief Mischief Officer at High Octane Spirits LLC
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2015, 11:36:55 AM »
nice work! I cant wait until my girls are old enough to hunt.

I did not get the lucky shot this year but i went out with my boss and he got a shot out at this guy from about 260 yards. 300 win mag dropped it perfectly:

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 23, 2015, 09:36:16 PM »
Congrats to your boy!  I like that you said "only" 215 yards.  I know there are some long range hunters out there still, but so many folks are just afraid of long shots.  Shoot, I know a girl who practices at 100 yards with her bow.

I saw 3 bucks yesterday while driving through the woods.  Figures, since deer season has been over for several weeks here.  The first one I saw was a very large bodied forkie, while the 2nd was the biggest buck I've seen so far!  Not the widest rack I've seen, but stood very tall and still pretty wide.  Had it been deer season, I coulda easily made the shot at several points.  I'm getting a windshield mount for the gopro this week, cause all 3 woulda been right in front of the truck and right on camera.
RIP KYOTA