Author Topic: Thoughts and suggestions please...  (Read 3013 times)

81yota4x4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 103
  • Member since Sep '12
  • Thats a negative ghostrider the patern is full
    • View Profile
Thoughts and suggestions please...
« on: Sep 09, 2015, 08:13:57 AM »
I'm thinking of purchasing this 88 pickup https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/5166405013.html I want to do a sas, I don't know much about this gen pick up I've only had 1st gen trucks and would like your thoughts on it please pros and cons? Thank you very much.
LETS ROCK :driving: :burnout:

84Flatbed

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -196
  • Member since Jun '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts and suggestions please...
« Reply #1 on: Sep 09, 2015, 11:02:04 AM »
The con would be that motor. The plus I guess is that it's extra cab, more leg room if your tall. I would consider the cost of doing the sas, including regearing , tires etc., add that to the purchase price and chances are you'll find that it might be cheaper to buy one that's already built.

megaphoneman

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 677
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 09, 2015, 11:04:35 AM »
The pro, its easy to drop a 3.4 into it..

81yota4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 09, 2015, 11:09:42 AM »
I've heard a lot of bad things about the engine in the last few days of doing research... But then again I've heard a lot of good things, I trust the opinions of the marlin forum population more then a few Google search results how ever... I've looked into finding one built but two problems with that... Most want  upwards of $8k or better I'm not trying to spend that kinda cash up front the other is where's the fun in that?? I like to do my own work lol

OVRAROK

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26820
  • Male Posts: 3,527
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 09, 2015, 11:34:29 AM »
I think the problem with the 3.0, was a head gasket issue, there is a cure for the problem, most machine shops are aware of this. If the motor has had the head gasket replaced previously,chances are your good to go, if motor is stock, you may want to address the issue before it leaves you stranded  :twocents:
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

84Flatbed

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -196
  • Member since Jun '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 09, 2015, 02:20:22 PM »
I've heard a lot of bad things about the engine in the last few days of doing research... But then again I've heard a lot of good things, I trust the opinions of the marlin forum population more then a few Google search results how ever... I've looked into finding one built but two problems with that... Most want  upwards of $8k or better I'm not trying to spend that kinda cash up front the other is where's the fun in that?? I like to do my own work lol

Im used to seeing standard built (not linked) rigs in the $5-6K range. Buying a built one can be a crap shoot though unless everything is documented and you know what to look for. If you build it at least you know what went into it. I was just bringing up buying a built one because the initial cost of that truck your looking at, just adding tires alone (35-37's) you'll be into it $4000. With the right fab skills that truck should work fine for you.

Ive heard that even with the head issues fixed the 3.0l still lacks power and mpg's, I don't have first hand experience though.

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1355
  • Male Posts: 539
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 09, 2015, 02:43:15 PM »
Most of the problems if not the only problem with the 3.0 is the original head gasket.  I've got well over 285k on my 94runner but had the recall head gasket done on it years ago, no probs' since. Sure I could use more power and mileage, but my rig is kind of portly compared to a pickup.  If the rig has had the recall replacement it'll be good to go if the owner maintained it well.  The 3.0 gets it's bad rep from people that haven't had the recall or proper maintenance or experience with this engine.  I drive mine hard and maintain it at regular intervals. :turtle:
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

SlayTank

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 234
  • Member since Apr '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 09, 2015, 09:40:59 PM »
Maybe just hold out for a factory solid axle truck? and also factor in a new timing belt right off the bat unless the guy has documentation for it being done recently. If the timing belt goes the 3.0 is toast as it is a interference motor (if the valves stop moving the pistons crash into them) I see toasted 3.0 trucks on my c-list a lot because people don't stay on top of the timing belt. the 3.4 is a non-interference motor so if the belt gos engine is still good. The 3.0 will probably last just fine if you stay on top of it. i might hit him at 2000 or under and unless he has all the maintenance records tell him you gotta put more $ into it just to trust it.

81yota4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 10, 2015, 08:08:01 AM »
Maybe just hold out for a factory solid axle truck? and also factor in a new timing belt right off the bat unless the guy has documentation for it being done recently. If the timing belt goes the 3.0 is toast as it is a interference motor (if the valves stop moving the pistons crash into them) I see toasted 3.0 trucks on my c-list a lot because people don't stay on top of the timing belt. the 3.4 is a non-interference motor so if the belt gos engine is still good. The 3.0 will probably last just fine if you stay on top of it. i might hit him at 2000 or under and unless he has all the maintenance records tell him you gotta put more $ into it just to trust it.

Thank you very much I'm going to look at the truck tomorrow, I really appreciate all the info guys. As always very helpful bunch of people here. :thumbs:

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 10, 2015, 03:31:44 PM »
Having owned a 3.0 since new(over 25yrs now), I can say the 3.0 can be just as reliable as the 22r series when it is maintained and serviced properly. However if you are lazy with its maintenance, service intervals, cheap w/rebuild parts, etc., it will be the very engine that everyone complains about.

The head gasket issue that plagued the 3.0, has been/can be fixed, providing you follow proper repair procedures, i.e., have the head checked/resurfaced, use oem HG's, and new headbolts, along with new knock sensor wire and KS.  The other issues that the 3.0's tend to have is a burnt #5 or #6 exhaust valves.  I am not sure as to what is the real cause is, though most attribute it to the design of the exhaust manifolds(#1 & #3 dump into #5 before dumping into #6, which #2 & #4 dump into before heading down the exhaust), running to lean due to unmetered air, or poor maintenance practices.  I had two burnt exhaust valves within a 6yr period('98-'04), and other than oil changes the dealer did the regular service, however after rebuilding the top end '04, and adding headers, there hasn't been any issue in the past 11 years.

The other issue with the 3.0 is it being under powered, which is true when mated to a 4-spd auto, but not(for the time it debuted, 1988) when mated to a 5-spd.  Unfortunately they are expensive to rebuild and/or modify, and is why so many are left rotting away on craigslist when needing repairs, fortunately today you have a good selection of engine swaps.

If you like the way it runs and still have reservations, I would run it by a dealership and have them inspect it, run the VIN# to see what recall work/service has been performed through the dealership.

However, if you are planning on building it into a trail truck, I would reconsider this, and look for a 2wd 4 cyl. to build.  V6's are cost more to run dual cases and there trail mpg is not the best if you will be using it on long trails.  My '90 3.0 averages around 17mpg on the highway(best of 21 on freeway) but only about 13mpg's on the trail, meanwhile my '91 w/22re is about 24-25 pn the highway and about 20 on the trail.  When wheeling with my '90 I always carried a 5gal can of gas and used it, with my '91 running the same trails I don't need to bring the extra gas(though do, due to friends who seem to forget to top off before hitting the trail).
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1355
  • Male Posts: 539
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 10, 2015, 04:17:30 PM »
I agree with Snowtoy. My runner's got the 5 speed which helps the 3.0 in the mileage and HP area, but on the trail you need that xtra gas vs. the 22re in my 85 xtracab. The timing belt sitch does need to be determined and or replaced if unknown, replace the waterpump at the same time as it is in the middle of all that and idler pulleys.
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

81yota4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 11, 2015, 08:09:58 AM »
Awesome info guys thank you I will let you know how it looks and  whether or not I end up buying it or going another  route.  :biggthumpup:

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 12, 2015, 08:40:42 AM »
Get the VIN and call a dealership to see if the Service Campaign (it is not a recall) was done on the head gaskets. Some places are still doing them so I have been told. 3.0 are not the easiest engines to work on. Low on power,4:70 dual cases fix that but cost more. Bad MPG, I have a 16 gallon cell mounted where the spare for a holding tank.

My rig works awesome on the trail, but there is a lot of work and money tied up in it. I have owned it since 97 and been wheeling it since I got it with no problems. If I were to do it today, I would look for a 5-speed 22r because they are simple to work on.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

81yota4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sep 16, 2015, 10:06:47 PM »
I went over and looked at the rig over the weekend the guy was not very informative didn't seem like he was very interested in selling the truck to me especially after i told him my plans on building a rock rig so i passed on the truck. But thank you all for the info... You guys as always are awesome!