Author Topic: Go small or go home II, Where the heck is "Nankang" and what's a "Mudstar"  (Read 17501 times)

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Well one of my free 19 year old hand me down swampers rounded out and shelled a carcass while I was hauling a 900 lb bale of alfalfa.  Cheapskate that I am, especially on my 1980 pickup, I searched for some more used junk, but to no avail.  I really wanted something about 31" in a decent mud tread, preferably with an old school looking tread design.  Now I know there are a TON of great proven newer mud terrains out there but I have this $500-$600 price point for tires on this particular pickup.  Most of the popular brands are a good $800 for a set of 31s these days.

I ran the treadwrights and loved them, but the price has gone up a bit and I like to change it up so I kept searching.

Discount tire has a few cheapies, but the old schooliest is the "Nankang Mudstar M/T".

I read they run a little short, so I ordered the 32x11.50 15s instead of the 31s.

They measure about 30.5" tall mounted on stock steelies.  Width is right around 10" on these 7" wheels.  What I ended up with was some short fat 31s, which is just perfect for this truck. Seriously, if you order any order one or two sizes bigger than you actually want.  The 31s must be dinky if the 32s are only 30.5" tall. My finger in the second pic below is on 31".

Sidewalls seem a little thinner than the 3 ply sidewalls we get.  We'll see if I can rip any up while skidding logs and hauling hay and 1680 lbs of water tank.  They should bag out nicely in the snow and we all know the old buckshot tread design works well in the snow.

I threw in 8 oz of lead shot and they balance.  They thumped at first but smoothed out after about 10 miles. They are about as loud as you would expect.  Lower tone hum. Nice high void zig-zag traditional mud terrain.  Like 1980s tires but with a few more sipes.  Factory sipes are probably 3/4 of the read depth deep, which is nice.  I may sipe them some more with the hot knife if they need more sticky in the snow.

Did I get what I was after?  Old school tread design, fat chunky short tire, $560 shipped to the door, so I would say yes.  Are these things any good?  Time will tell.

I will attempt to work these tires to an early grave and post the results and impressions over time. 

« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2019, 03:17:26 AM by H8PVMNT »
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
More stunning pictures...
– Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
10" tread, what's the overall width at the bulge?
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Maybe 10 1/2" or a bit more. I'm sure they would lay out fatter on a wider rim.  They look pretty squared off on a 7" rim.
– Steve McQueen

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
They don't look half bad.  Good solid tread design.  You will have to give us a 500 mile report on them.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Little update.  I have probably 400 miles.  Not enough to see how these will pan out over time.

Our mud hole driveway is now at maximum gumbo.  These are really good in the mud.  No big surprise.  Continuously hauling 1680 lbs of water through the mud hole.  Went up and got a load of wood yesterday with the pickup and the 4runner pulling a 2 horse trailer.  The 2 horse was high centered hard in the ruts in the driveway.  The winch on the 4runner is currently out of commission so I pushed from behind with the pickup and hooked up good enough with the Nankangs to shove the trailer free.

They clean well without much wheel spin.
« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2015, 02:56:05 PM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Well I have maybe 1,000 miles on these.  They balance and go down the road pretty nice. Not very loud even.

Sidewalls don't seem super robust but we've been hacking around the place and have had no problems.  They ooze out nicely at 8-10 psi. We had some post to pull out with the winch in our gumbo swamp so I aired down and we could just idle along processing the muck happily motoring on top or it.  I did get some mud in the bead causing a slow leak while using the truck and winch to dredge out about a ton of watercress to clear a channel.  It seemed to work it's way out though.  I think this is an indication that these aren't that tight on the rim.  We'll see if I can roll a bead snow wheeling later this winter.

So far for the money I think these are pretty good stuff.

There was a swamp monster flogging around in there while we were pulling posts.
– Steve McQueen

OVRAROK

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,499
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
I always enjoy the background in your photos, looks like a great spread
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
I'm glad.  It's a fun but challenging place to live. I don't know if it's big enough to call a spread though ;).
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Mt wife reports that while these are awesome in the mud they suck pretty bad for around town winter ice.  No big surprise looking at the tread design.  I will be sipping them soon...
– Steve McQueen

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Air them down a little.  This is what I do with my old school BFG Mud Terrains.  They have no sipping, and the first sign of ice or snow, I air them down.  It makes driving on bare pavement a little squirrelly, but better than sliding all over the place.  Especially, when your truck weighs nothing.   
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
look good, but I would have mounted black out
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

SKULLYOTA

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -57
  • Male Posts: 52
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Garage Crawler
    • View Profile
i had a set of those on a samurai, I thought they were great in the snow. 
85 x-cab- duals, flatbed, locked, 33's....

70 FJ55-in pieces

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
I went a got fire wood the other night in about 18" of snow.  6-8" base with the rest settled day 2 powder.  They were phenomenal in the stuff. Very much like the old buckshots from days of yore they remind you of.
– Steve McQueen

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,725
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
I went a got fire wood the other night in about 18" of snow.  6-8" base with the rest settled day 2 powder.  They were phenomenal in the stuff. Very much like the old buckshots from days of yore they remind you of.

I wish more tall skinny' were available for that very reason. Are they as loud as tortured demons like the old buck shots were?
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
You know they are making the gateways again. Only making ns for 15s and p's for 16. If the made a p for a 15 I'd be running the stock 15x7 wheels with them on the dd. I love the old school skinny and how hard they pull. That good Ole flat spot that bounces you for the first 10 minutes and the roar you hear from 100 yard away. :biggthumpup:
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
I wish more tall skinny' were available for that very reason. Are they as loud as tortured demons like the old buck shots were?

So far they are pretty quiet.  I would expect them to get louder as the wear out.  The center lugs are at a bit of an angle, which I think may quiet them down a bit.
– Steve McQueen

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I ran mud kings on a 3500 crew cab and they were quiet for the time I had them. My friend runs them in a 33x12.50 on a 10" wheel on his 80 toyota and they are around 25-30k on them 10 years old and ride good, very little noise, air down and get good traction. I think you'll enjoy them.
Mudking-mudstar basically the same thing
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
OK at just over 5K miles they are showing little wear other than the sharp edges rounding ever so slightly. I will go ahead and rotate them next time I get a minute. They are wearing nice and flat.  Still quiet for what they are.  Most of my driving has been dirt and mud chores at the homestead, firewood and trips to town on the highway when he wife gets supplies.  I drive it to work about once a week these days too.

I am getting tired of reading and writing "about XX,000 miles on these tires!" on tire reviews.  Whatever, we need real data.  I am going to start posting actual mileage on updates on tire reviews...

Right now I have 60,946 miles on the odometer.  We will say 5,000 miles on the tires at this time which is fairly accurate based on my math.

« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2016, 09:50:04 AM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Odometer is right about 73,000, so we have about 17,000 miles on the Nankangs now.  The truck sat for a while and then hauled water.  I rebuilt it a bit with a hot new engine and some 5.29 ring and pinions left over from the 4runner.  Needless to say I can light these up pretty easy with the hot engine and the lower than necessary gearing.  I would say I am at about 50% tread depth, maybe a bit less.

Had one puncture from a piece of metal.  I have been using these for farm truck duty on sharp gravel roads that frequently rock puncture and chunk out popular brand tires.  Both BFGs and Coopers chunk really bad out here on these roads and on the wheat stubble, these don't.  Not saying they are better, but they clearly have something going on with the tread compound that wears better in these conditions.  I haul 1,680 lbs of water several times a week, run fence lines with lots of metal, cactus and rocks and I drive like the Dukes of Hazard the majority of the time.  These don't seem that stout on first impressions but they are holding up very well under severe duty.

It got icy and slick for a while and these were pretty horrible on road ice.  I siped them with a utility knife and now they stick to the ice like glue. 

Overall performance has been middle of the road.  Pretty good in the mud.  They handle well on loose gravel and dirt.  I like them in the soft plowed fields because they hook up well but don't have so much purchase that they weigh you down.

For the price I think these are turning out to be a good all around tire.
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2018, 02:58:49 AM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
So as it turns out these things siped and mostly worn out are one of the best deep snow tires I have ever experienced.  Like almost magical, it didn't even make sense!   This must be why the old gumbo mudders and buckshots were so popular for deep snow back in the day.

These picks are in about 3 feet of snow and I am still able to go forward and process the snow in the first photo.  I was at about 21 psi in these photos, not even aired down.  At 5-7 psi they sunk in about 4" and stayed right on top crawling along.

My commute at the time was 12 miles of unplowed, blown in snow drifts from 12-36 inches and they performed admirably every day on the way to work and back as long as the pressure was low and you kept he momentum.

So snow is a big yes  :thumbs:.

– Steve McQueen

Gnarly4X

• Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Interesting.

What is the weight of your truck?  :gap:

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Interesting.

What is the weight of your truck?  :gap:

Gnarls.

I don't know, pretty light but at the time I was carrying a good 700 lbs worth of tools and gear so I wasn't feather light. Pretty good front to rear weight bias I would guess though.
– Steve McQueen

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
I think my truck carrying a bit of junk is around 3800 lbs. I think 4000 wouldn't be a bad guess for yours, or maybe even a little more.

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Man when we can go three weeks with a post about a set of baby Chinese mud tires being the most recent tire post there is something wrong.  Somebody buy some new tires already!
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
I ran these until right about 25,000 miles of spooled rear end, hang it out on every turn Takumi Fujiwara type driving.

They still work pretty good but I will retire them to project rollers.  Overall I was very happy with these tires for the $500 price point.  Other than the small sizing I can't really find anything bad to say about them.  I guess they weren't that sticky on the ice but after I siped then they were phenomenal so I can't even really whine about that. They were not too loud, good in the mud and magical in the deep snow.  It really didn't even make sense how good they were in the deep snow after they got worn down a bit.  They bag out great when aired down.

Good in soft dirt too, not too much dig.

I only got one flat from a big piece of metal despite running fence lines and cactus filled v-notches continuously.

There are fancier, cooler, bigger tires out there but for the dollars vs. all around performance I would not hesitate to recommend the Nankang Mudstars

« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2020, 07:33:48 PM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Wonder what I will run next?
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
MORE NANKANGS!!!

33x12.50 15 flavor this time.  I needed a bit more legs for the commute to town now.  With the 5.29s it was a little tight on the highway with the 30" 32s.  Had to mount these on 15x8" wheels because they did not want to mount on the stocker 15x6.5".  Tried and tried with my buddy's tire machine but the tire just wouldn't go there.  They still don't stick out though.  The tread is about 3/4" narrower than the 32x11.50s which is kind of odd.  Overall height is right at 31.5"

I center siped them with a razor knife. They are very good in the ice like that. Pulled the jacked up trailer in some decent snow and they worked as expected.  Something about a dumb zig-zag center and typical plain jane side lugs just works in the snow.  Where have you gone yee olde gumbo mudder?

I had strongly considered something in a 33x10.50 and even looked at some more Treadwrights.  The Treadwright 33s were more money and anything in a 33x10.50 was about $300 more. 

At $560 shipped to the door I just couldn't beat these things. Bought them from an ebay store Simpletire this time. The 33s run small just like the 32s but I was looking for a 31.5"-32" diameter so this time I knew exactly what I was getting.  I noticed there are some 35s available now on ebay and I'll bet they are 33s   :D.

:thumbs:
« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2020, 09:20:22 PM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

Gnarly4X

• Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
H,

On any given typical day, how many miles do you drive "off-road" and how many miles do you drive on highway?

Do you air down in the snow?... What PSI?

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2020, 12:06:29 PM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Well the last set of these were no joke 50% or more dirt roads.  Estimated 10% of that would be considered "off road".  It was mostly work related but what we would all consider trail conditions.

In the snow I ran 5-8 psi with the 32s most of the time.  Maybe 20 psi hot dogging on the dirt farm roads. 

I expect to run these back and forth down the highway to work in town a bit more than the last set. 

I won't claim these are the best tires around, but they sit right at the intersection of cheap street and good avenue.:)
– Steve McQueen