Author Topic: U-Joints @ Axle versus Double Cardon??  (Read 2364 times)

jssgbsn

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 440
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
U-Joints @ Axle versus Double Cardon??
« on: Jul 26, 2015, 06:04:07 AM »
85 4Runner, 4WD

I am finding conflicting info on this.  Some info says that all the u-joints Front Axle, Rear Axle, At Case and Double Cardon are same part.

Others say all the same except double cardon.

Anybody here have experience?
If I don't ask the stupid question, who will?

85 Runner, 22RE, AEM 'warm intake', TRD Cam, LC Headers, Dual Case, 5.29's, ARB Front Locker, Detroit Rear Locker, 35's, V6 Brakes, ARP Studs, Marlin Arms/Caps/Hy-Steer, Winch, Armor, Can-Back Top....and...

...more Gremlins than Gizmo the Mogwai was responsible for.

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Re: U-Joints @ Axle versus Double Cardon??
« Reply #1 on: Jul 26, 2015, 06:18:07 AM »
DC joints are different, all others are the same.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

jssgbsn [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 26, 2015, 08:01:12 AM »
Is a rough measure while installed (Cap Diameter and total length) adequate to confirm I order the correct part?

Or will I need to remove, measure, order, wait, install?

Fairly certain all u-joints are stock toyota size, but not 100% positive.

85 Runner, 22RE, AEM 'warm intake', TRD Cam, LC Headers, Dual Case, 5.29's, ARB Front Locker, Detroit Rear Locker, 35's, V6 Brakes, ARP Studs, Marlin Arms/Caps/Hy-Steer, Winch, Armor, Can-Back Top....and...

jssgbsn [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 29, 2015, 11:35:01 AM »
I replaced the u-joint at rear axle succesffuly.  However when going after the DC u-joints I was only able to pound the caps down 1/4" (approx).

It looks like the cap is a slightly small diameter than the ridge the snap ring fits into toward the center of u-joint.

Does that sound right?  It was hard to tell, but I hit a major sticking point on pounding the cap out :(

Is the Double Cardon sometimes 'not serviceable'?  Meaning if the jionts in them go bad you stuck getting a new Drive Shaft with a new DC?

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 30, 2015, 06:32:05 AM »
They are serviceable, just a real bummer to get a part. This may help.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/cvmod/
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

jssgbsn [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 30, 2015, 06:00:12 PM »
They are serviceable, just a real bummer to get a part. This may help.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/cvmod/

Thanks, mine is 85 so i am pretty sure no mod required.  I guess I either wasn't pounding the caps hard enough and/or in the wrong place/angle.  The joints in the DC felt fine I just figured if they were as easy to change as a normal u-joint I would just do it for the practice.  nd im always gun shy when pounding something with a hammer.  Seems like I accidentally break things when trying to use brute force ;)

jssgbsn [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 31, 2015, 03:36:07 PM »
So, I think Im gonna wait on tackling the DC and it's joints.  Unfortunaltey I have bigger fish to fry right now (unresolved noise/vibration which I am guessing is driveline related).

I tried to get replacement zerks and nothing the auto parts stores have fit.  (1/4" or 6mm).

Not sure if it is the dimension or thread pitch.  When I look at it it seems as thought the DC u-joint zerks are actually 'smaller and definitely a different pitch'.

I got a buddy at the gym I work out at that works at Fastenal.  I figure they would be able to figure out the specs on the existing serk so I can figure out where to find the correct fitting.

Anybody ever tried to replace their DC u-joint zerks and run into the same problem? 

Mario

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 215
  • Male Posts: 66
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #7 on: Aug 03, 2015, 08:09:40 PM »
I feel your pain, I have ancould  84 pickup and did exactly what you doing. I got online and ordered the universal joints from a place in Illinois. They fit perfectly and that was three years ago. They are different in size so I still have three spares. I hope this helps.
1984 Toyota Pickup, EFI with duel cases, 5.29's in the diffs, 4" Trailer HD leafs in the front, Chevy's with 3" blocks and a track bar/pan hard bar in the rear with full exo cage.

Mario

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 215
  • Male Posts: 66
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #8 on: Aug 03, 2015, 09:21:49 PM »
Rockford drive line in Rockford Illinois is the place if you need it.
1984 Toyota Pickup, EFI with duel cases, 5.29's in the diffs, 4" Trailer HD leafs in the front, Chevy's with 3" blocks and a track bar/pan hard bar in the rear with full exo cage.