Author Topic: 1987 3rz 4runner on 35s.  (Read 3651 times)

MRHilux87

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -306
  • Male Posts: 424
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
1987 3rz 4runner on 35s.
« on: Jun 02, 2015, 08:44:06 PM »
I really hate to do this but we are trying to prioritize our hobbies.  More time on the motorcycle and a trip all the way to south America this winter forces sale.  No time to work on it or wheel it.  5 hours away to closest legal fun wheeling for me. 

Its a 1987 toyota 4runner. Very well built rig. I bought it about one year ago, and it was already painted and straight axle swapped. It was built by aaron duncan, owner of the green Tacoma in "Ultimate adventure 2013." After I bought it, I changed the rear suspension, added some rock lights and led pods, then I swapped in a 3rz from a 1999 4runner. The swap isn't smog legal but it is ready to be taken to a referee and be official if you live in Cali.  I don't know smog laws in other states but it should pass a sniffer no problem.  This is one of those rigs that needs to be seen in person to be appreciated.  It has some flaws, but wasn't just hacked together.  Lotta quality stuff with some things to finish up.   Some of the specs:
Rear Elocker tacoma width axle with 5.29s. Locker works great with the flip of a switch.
Front Detroit locker with 5.29 gears.
Front axle truss and knuckle gussets
Front hydro assist kit from trail gear
Marlin high steer.
 27 spline longfield front birfs.
Dual transfer cases with marlin adapter and 4.7 gears in rear case.
Square front driveline.
All pro springs in front.
Chevy 63 springs in the rear with skys double shackle kit.
Rear fenders cut( I wish I didn't do this, but now it has some uptravel.)
BFG KM2's with about 60% tread all around.
Rear window kit from 12v guy. Works perfect.
Rear "tube" speakers attached to roll cage. Kicker 4" speakers in dash. New mp3, usb, aux, headunit. Bass "box" under driver seat. Its a small kenwood  unit that looks like an amp which adds bass, but doesn't take up the space of a sub.
Truck Bedz air matteress that I will throw in. It fits between the rear fenders perfect. Sleeps two even. (129.xx new)
HELLA replacement Headlights. These are awesome. you just change the bulbs instead of the whole light. Well over $200 new.
Front LED light pods flush mounted into bumper. Separate switch for them.
2x4 custom built rock sliders. Look much better than every other Trail gear kit you see around.
LED rock lights in fenders, under front bumper, and installed in custom rear bumper that isn't mounted yet.
CAN BACK soft top. This alone is worth over $1000. Its my favorite part about the rig. Its in good condition, with two snapps broken on the sides.
Factory hard top. Its in good condition as well. Sliding windows work and everything.
Sunroof.
Inclinometer, altimiter, etc. Original from the sr5 package.
On to the motor:
99 3rz. It was rebuilt approximately 50k miles ago by previous owner. It rips. Strongest 4cyl toyota on 35s Ive ever driven. Pulls up any hill at 70 loaded with gear.  I bought it with it running funny. Changed injectors out and ran it about 5k miles with no problems.  After that it started acting a little funny.  More on that below. 
New trail gear rock ripper header with new complete exhaust. Brand new Numbers matching catalytic converter. Smog stuff is all there because I was planning on taking it to the Ref. and making it legal. Fresh oil.
Brand new 3 row aluminum radiator off amazon. Electric fan that needs installed. It runs fine and stays cool without the fan at speed. I had the electric fan installed but I took it off to finish the mounts. Works great when installed.
New ish clutch. It feels great with no slip, installed by previous owner.
New Chilcat 3rz conversion engine mounts.

Things that are bad, or need finishing:
It is currently running funny. It runs great some days, or for a few min then sometimes cuts out and goes to idle. if you wait a few seconds it runs great again for a few miles. Other times I will drive it to town and it runs flawlessly. Im almost certain it is the fuel pump, or a ground issue. I can personally guarantee that it isn't an internal engine problem. It ran amazing and got great mileage for the 5 months that I was driving it. It is just cutting out like its short on fuel. Stock fuel pump that is over 200k miles is most likely the culprit.  I want to say it could be driven home to wherever you are, but if I say that It might act up. 
I completed the 3rz swap, and all the guages all work. The steering wheel is out of the doner engines vehicle, as are the gauges. there is still some wiring to tidy up. The engine bay is clean, but the firewall needs cleaned up and the fuse box is on the drivers kickpanel.
I was fabricating a rear bumper for it to match the sliders. It is mostly done and looks epic, but it needs mounting brackets still. I have a smittybuilt rear bumper that you can have with it.
Electric windows don't work. All the wiring is from the 99, 3rz motor, and it must not have had electric windows.... I have the old wiring, including every single plug from the 87 harness, all in one piece. Someone just needs to find the wires that plug into the doors, add a fuse in the new fuse box... shouldn't be too difficult.

Thats about it. I loved this rig, but I don't have time to finish It like it deserves and I have too many hobbies. Not desperate to sell. With a few bugs worked out this could be a perfect daily driver, a cross country wheeler, a mall crawler, or whatever you want it to be. I priced it as is, 6900. If you are interested, but are in California or need it refereed, then the price will go up. It is possible for me to take care of that. If I get time to work on the rear bumper, or fix a few things, the price will go up. Title is clear in my name.
No lowballers. txt or call me at 707-951-197 eight. Matt
1987 4Runner.   3RZ.  SAS Duals 5.29 Elocker Rear Detroit front 35s... Hydro assist
2007 Cummins 6.7 DRW g56.  deleted EFI live.
2013 Ninja 1000
SOLD:
2006 Mitsibishi EVO 9.  347WHP runs 12.2s - Wifes daily driver.  Ducati 916 - track bike.

MRHilux87 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
Re: 1987 3rz 4runner on 35s.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 06, 2015, 12:57:22 PM »
Sale pending with one more person in line. 
1987 4Runner.   3RZ.  SAS Duals 5.29 Elocker Rear Detroit front 35s... Hydro assist
2013 Ninja 1000
SOLD:
2006 Mitsibishi EVO 9.  347WHP runs 12.2s - Wifes daily driver.  Ducati 916 - track bike.

MRHilux87 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
Re: 1987 3rz 4runner on 35s.
« Reply #2 on: Jun 16, 2015, 01:50:34 PM »
Sold
2013 Ninja 1000
SOLD: