Author Topic: New Cooper STT Pro - Update!  (Read 12467 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
New Cooper STT Pro - Update!
« on: May 30, 2015, 07:40:18 PM »
Edit:  As of today I found out cooper is also going to be releasing another new mud tire that will be an americas/discount tire exclusive, and it looks to be very economically priced!  Sadly, they don't have any pics or specs out yet and will only say it will likely be out late october.  I am hoping they'll just use the old stt design  :crossed:  This may throw another monkey wrench in my plans...

No solid date for release yet, but cooper is redesigning their stt and renaming it the stt pro.  Recent searches in google and bing haven't turned up any info, but I did get cooper to email me pics of it in both black lettering and white outlined letters.  After looking at it several times, I'm not convinced I like it as much as the old design, but only time will tell, and I may have to wait till I can grope one to see how I really feel. 

Thoughts, opinions?
« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2015, 11:13:18 PM by kneedownnate »
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
Re: New Cooper STT Pro
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 12:00:11 PM »
Looks kinda like they are trying to mimic the duratrac.
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

Dingman.

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 01:00:24 PM »
Looks kinda like they are trying to mimic the duratrac.

That was my thoughts as well!

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10910
  • Male Posts: 2,416
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 05:05:05 PM »
I had decided a while back that when I go to 37s they would be Cooper STT. Intrigued to see what this version will do.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 11:03:50 PM »
The center kinda looks like an old courser mt to me  :dunno:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

*** YELLER ***

• BIGMIKE SAID I WAS A CLOWN SO .... GUESS THATS THAT
  • Turtle Points: 314
  • Male Posts: 4,686
  • Member since Oct '05
  • USMC NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 11:24:35 PM »
I run Cooper STT's 35's now and I love them, I would run these for sure :yesnod:

now does this mean there will no longer be an STT tire and only the "STT Pro" ???
MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO OFFER THIS FORUM  :moon:
except BACON

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 170
  • Male Posts: 943
  • Member since Jan '14
  • What is this Toyota you speak of?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #6 on: Jun 01, 2015, 12:38:25 AM »
Had STT's they were awesome, want more and will give these a go, will they make em in a 4dee's i wonder?
The outer lugs appear to be more open than the old ones and the tiny scollops on the vertical faces of the tread should help in the mud, i wonder how many more biting surfaces that adds over the tyre?
Be interesting to see if the price creeps up cos im sure we all know that the original stt was a bostin tyre for the money.
Looking a bit closer i think it will be an even better all rounder, if you break down the tread pattern, half is true m/t the other is A/T
« Last Edit: Jun 01, 2015, 12:44:25 AM by LittleSteve »
LittleSteve: Holding up traffic and giving dubious advice since 2014.

1/5th of Perfect Fit. The awkward foreigner no one understands.

Refusing to fit in or comply.

Easy is not worth anything.

Show me a home where the UZ's roam.

H8PVMNT

• Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 01, 2015, 08:28:07 AM »
Looking at these I'm thinking they would be really good in deep snow.  More of an AT for sure.

However, I still lament the slow decline of traditional center lugs.  This redesign is another example of that trend.  Most of the new stuff is certainly stickier overall but most new tread designs lack the solid lateral traction provided from the more elongated center lugs like old school BFG muds, the STT, old school swampers, etc.  I ran MTRs w/Kevlar and was certainly impressed, but I did notice you can get all kinds of sideways in the snow and slick mud, where with the old style mud tires it seems like you really have to try to hang the rear end out and they want to track straighter when you get some wheel speed.

I like the look of this tire, but not as much as the current STT.  I am strongly considering going back to old school swamper TSL radials so I can get my center lugs again.  I just mounted that old set of 32" TSLs on my '80 and I have been reminded just how good those actually are as I can turn in and out of the gumbo ruts in out driveway at full psi and loaded with 1800 lbs of water tank.  Long center lugs work.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '14
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #8 on: Jun 02, 2015, 01:23:29 AM »
Looking at these I'm thinking they would be really good in deep snow.  More of an AT for sure.

However, I still lament the slow decline of traditional center lugs.  This redesign is another example of that trend.  Most of the new stuff is certainly stickier overall but most new tread designs lack the solid lateral traction provided from the more elongated center lugs like old school BFG muds, the STT, old school swampers, etc.  I ran MTRs w/Kevlar and was certainly impressed, but I did notice you can get all kinds of sideways in the snow and slick mud, where with the old style mud tires it seems like you really have to try to hang the rear end out and they want to track straighter when you get some wheel speed.

I like the look of this tire, but not as much as the current STT.  I am strongly considering going back to old school swamper TSL radials so I can get my center lugs again.  I just mounted that old set of 32" TSLs on my '80 and I have been reminded just how good those actually are as I can turn in and out of the gumbo ruts in out driveway at full psi and loaded with 1800 lbs of water tank.  Long center lugs work.

take a groover and make the gaps bigger between the three centre lugs

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 05, 2015, 03:29:37 PM »
Just saw that these tires are now for sale on tirecrawler.com and are free shipping right now. Who's going to take the plunge?

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 05, 2015, 03:35:10 PM »
Reviews are starting to show up too. From the looks of this video Cooper invited a bunch of reviewers out to an event to give them a try.

Found another print review:

http://expeditionportal.com/exclusive-cooper-discoverer-stt-pro-review/

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 06, 2015, 12:20:43 AM »
Just saw that these tires are now for sale on tirecrawler.com and are free shipping right now. Who's going to take the plunge?

I clicked the link and they wanted to charge me $112 shipping  :headscratch:  Why mailorder when you can support local guys though?  Americas tire/Discount tire do not charge shipping either and will match any price out there!

On that note, I just ordered our first set for a customer who came in looking for a completely different tire, and I'm quite sure I was way more stoked than he was!

I don't trust the guy in the video since he kept comparing these to his procomps, but the article reads much more in depth and intelligently. 
RIP KYOTA

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 06, 2015, 10:22:02 AM »
I clicked the link and they wanted to charge me $112 shipping  :headscratch:  Why mailorder when you can support local guys though?  Americas tire/Discount tire do not charge shipping either and will match any price out there!

On that note, I just ordered our first set for a customer who came in looking for a completely different tire, and I'm quite sure I was way more stoked than he was!

I don't trust the guy in the video since he kept comparing these to his procomps, but the article reads much more in depth and intelligently.

I was under the impression that discount tire would not price match online prices, only local ones? I was just sharing the information pertinent to the thread. I'm not saying trust the dude in the video's opinion it is just the only video review I could find so far.

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '14
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #13 on: Jun 06, 2015, 02:42:31 PM »

Me, i will when we've decided that my pro comps are cack. there $50 more than the old stt and in 37x13.50-17 :thumbs:

Dingman.

• Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jun 07, 2015, 12:20:29 PM »
I was under the impression that discount tire would not price match online prices, only local ones? I was just sharing the information pertinent to the thread. I'm not saying trust the dude in the video's opinion it is just the only video review I could find so far.

America's tire in chico beat the cheapest online price plus shipping i could find on my k02's! 

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jun 07, 2015, 09:52:34 PM »
It could possibly boil down to what the store manager says, but given a legit on-line quote, they definitely should beat it.  They have done so twice for my dad!
RIP KYOTA

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jun 08, 2015, 07:25:52 AM »
It could possibly boil down to what the store manager says, but given a legit on-line quote, they definitely should beat it.  They have done so twice for my dad!

I'll pop into my local discount and see. The other thing to take into account is you get to skip tax by going the online route. That is $130 savings here. However if Discount gives free install of the 4 tires that would be about equivalent and I'd go with them if they price match.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jun 08, 2015, 10:45:02 PM »
I kinda doubt they'd do free install, but am still fairly certain they'd do the price match.  Still gotta pay those hard working american boys, you know  :thumbs:
RIP KYOTA

mudNrust85

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: New Cooper STT Pro - Update!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2015, 04:09:13 PM »
I am very interested in these tires seeing how I can get five 37" tires shipped for about $1850.  My only concern is their true size when mounted.  I currently have the Cooper Discoverer STT in 35" size, sadly they measured 33" from factory.  I'd rather dish out a few more bucks for a true size tire than buy these in 37" and have a true 35".  Anyone have some mounted and can measure?

Stocker

• Online Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Dec 03, 2015, 05:56:28 PM »
Per the Cooper website, the (nominal) 37" tires measure 36.77".  Just like many other brands, they are close to the advertised size but not exact. May be closer than your old STTs, though.
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Dec 03, 2015, 07:15:30 PM »

They will match the price shipped and then you pay for mounting and balancing. Discount will always treat you right.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Stocker

• Online Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Dec 03, 2015, 08:22:13 PM »
The one time I intended to ask America's Tire for a price match, I did my homework first. The price I was looking to match was a total, complete out-the-door price. It included all taxes, shipping, local mounting & balancing, and any recycling fees or other fees that could apply. That's the only way to be fair about it, and to know you are comparing apples to apples.

Anyway I took my target price to America's Tire and the manager offered me a deal that was actually a little under my price. Can't ask for any better than that!
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Dec 03, 2015, 09:59:56 PM »
I am very interested in these tires seeing how I can get five 37" tires shipped for about $1850.  My only concern is their true size when mounted.  I currently have the Cooper Discoverer STT in 35" size, sadly they measured 33" from factory.  I'd rather dish out a few more bucks for a true size tire than buy these in 37" and have a true 35".  Anyone have some mounted and can measure?

The biggest issue I've seen with guys measuring their tires is measuring on the vehicle.  As Stocker said, most tires run smaller than the advertised size, even within the same brand but different models.  We sold a guy chains today that listed as fitting no bigger than a 34.5" tall tire, his being 35x12.50-17 bfg ko2, but only after first checking the manufacturer listed height and test fitting on his tires.
RIP KYOTA

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #23 on: Dec 03, 2015, 10:19:34 PM »
Don't forget that a new tire has about 1/2" of tread.

So your worn out diameter will be another 1" smaller..........
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Dec 04, 2015, 11:24:24 AM »
Don't forget that a new tire has about 1/2" of tread.

So your worn out diameter will be another 1" smaller..........

And if you measure them on the vehicle you'll get some compression that will lose height.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved