Author Topic: welding... i'm getting my project started, what welder do i get  (Read 4883 times)

RustyToy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 481
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
someone help me out here. what welder do you people have and what works for you.  :flamer:   you know what mods i'm goin to be doin. What do you think? i only want to buy one that will last for a long time. i have  a 225 arc but don't think that is gonna cut it.  :help:   any words of advise would be nice...   :driving:
I'd like to quit thinking of the present as some minor insignificant preamble to something else~~~~~

RCKSQRL

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 588
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Viva La Yota!
    • View Profile
What range are you looking to do? I personally bought a hobart handler 175. Will allow from sheetmetal to 1/4" with a singel pass. Couldn't imagine that I would need to weld anything thicker than that. Had the same decision to make when I bought mine. Has worked great so far. 220V can run shielding gas or flux core. Hope it helps
'85 EFI Runner
4.3 with 700R4- for sale
5.29 detroit F/R
Front 3 Link with air shocks
rear 4 Link
Custom Fuel cell
Crawler #719, rear with 4.70 # 677,
Twin stick
Skys manufacturing T-case crossmember

6 point cage modified with harness bar, dash bar and PRP seats mounted to cage
2 feet chopped off the back

It seems it is never done........

in works for new body and exo, motor and trans swap...

TLB4130

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
MILLER 250 IS WELL WORTH THE CASH. IT IS VERY GOOD AND IS WORTH IT IN THE LONG RUN.  AND I WOULD GET GAS INSTED OF FLUX CORE ALSO.

89 toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1198
  • Male Posts: 383
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
i have a lincoln 215 it has worked great it can use solid wire or fluxed core. i can weld 1/2" with one pass.cost me $1600 with a big bottle full and 20 extra tips 30# spool of wire and some mis other stuff.have not had any problems yet.i was looking at a miller 210 but went with lincoln they are the same but the lincoln  has an electrical plug on the back for grinders and what not it also has a big storage bin built in for holding gloves,xtra tips,wire or what ever. came with 15' leads. have no complaints.
89 ext cab sas with diamond +4 1/2" housing 30 spline longs and hub gears, hp elocker, six studs, arp studs in everything, taco rear with elocker. swaped out 22re for 3.4l supercharged, urd 2.0" pulley, urd fuel management, downey headers, flowmaster, cold air intake, marlin clutch that is straining to hold up

Mike D

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 122
  • Male Posts: 1,902
  • Member since Jun '04
  • MMMMMMMMMM........
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I got a lincon Ideal arc wire feed and it holds an arc way better than any other welder I've used
87 runner, 4" trailmaster lift, 33" TSL/SX, 5.29's V6 e-locker, 22re that cost too much

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
I have a Costco special Century 250 that has done everything I could ask of it and it sold for $500 years back. The bottom line here is buy what you can afford. If you plan to do welding full time get a big enough machine that can handle longer weld cycles. Otherwise a smaller welder will do in most cases. Nothing smaller than a 90 amp. 125 to 250 will work fine and defo go with the gas 75% argon and 25% co2. .023 - .025 wire is easiest to use. .035 will cause you to run too hot and cause you to burn holes in your work. There will be people that will disagree, but I have done most all of my welding with .023 unless the metal is thicker than 1/4".
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

Mike D

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 122
  • Male Posts: 1,902
  • Member since Jun '04
  • MMMMMMMMMM........
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
oh and mine is a 250 with argon
87 runner, 4" trailmaster lift, 33" TSL/SX, 5.29's V6 e-locker, 22re that cost too much

RustyToy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
Thanks a lot!  :thumbs:   i'm hopin to find a used one... mabey around 500 bucks that can do all that. i have a old arc welder i'm gonna learn on. figure i'll get some time in before i spend the big bucks. Thanks again!
I'd like to quit thinking of the present as some minor insignificant preamble to something else~~~~~

scheid6996

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,216
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
:pokinit: all u need is the arc welder, thats all i ever use on really big stuff
When i die, i wana Be buried face down, so anyone who doesnt like me can kiss my :moon:

Its a redneck thing
"Nobody Loves Me"

awhotrods

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 154
  • Male Posts: 1,203
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Thanks a lot! :thumbs: i'm hopin to find a used one... mabey around 500 bucks that can do all that. i have a old arc welder i'm gonna learn on. figure i'll get some time in before i spend the big bucks. Thanks again!

Just to let you know, I'm selling a Lincoln 135 Plus with cart, 25 extra tips, and a 20lb spool of wire for $500.  Its less than 1 year old and has only been used a few times,  Pretty much brand new.  Its the best 110 welder you can buy, and has welded everything for any truck project we've needed it to.  Let me know if you are interested. (also located in nor-cal)  -Armen

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
I have a Lincoln SP100.  It is soo weak.  I think it is manly made for sheet metal or something.  doesn't have that great of penetration at all.  It worked good when i bobbed my bed.  It can use both gas and flux core.  I don't have a bottle ofr it though.  It will be for sale in a little while.

Weldo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 101
  • Male Posts: 454
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Use what you can, make what you can't.
    • View Profile
I agree with the Lincoln SP 135.  I have one and it's great!  Plugs right into 110V, small and portable.  Can handle solid wires and flux-cores.  You can get a brand new one from Lowes for under $450.  I like the versatility you get, run solid wire with a sheilding gas for sheet metal, but if you gotta do 1/4" or something thicker, you can go to an Innersheild flux-core wire and burn in a nice strong weld.  Innersheild is like the E6010 of the flux-core world, it works great on dirty rusty metal and it penetrates deeply.  Small, portable, inexpensive, and versitile.  It's a great investment.  I'd buy from awhotrods if I were you, Sounds like a great deal.
Welders Hold the World Together!

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
Millermatic 210.  It'll weld anything I point it at.  Anything smaller isn't big enough, in my opinion.

Ryan

'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

RustyToy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
never herd a that one...

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
Ok, how about a Miller brand?  Their line is called "Millermatic"  Mine is a 210A model.
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

scheid6996

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
thats wut i have, a miller 175
When i die, i wana Be buried face down, so anyone who doesnt like me can kiss my :moon:

Its a redneck thing
"Nobody Loves Me"

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
Miller's are great welders.

scheid6996

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
ya, thats also wut my stick welder is

Its a redneck thing
"Nobody Loves Me"

To The Floor

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 220
  • Male Posts: 393
  • Member since Jul '04
  • THE KRAK
    • View Profile
I have also got the Millermatic 210.  wouldn't buy anything else
in the projects nooga, anything goes

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 99
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
Well if your looking at a Miller welder look at Hobart made by the same company and is usually a little cheaper.  Plus every once in awhile miller has sales were you get a free flash helmet  :flamer:
RUBICON TESTED BIG BALLS APPROVED

MidgetMike

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 55
  • Male Posts: 668
  • Member since Sep '04
  • My 83 soon to be the sh%*
    • View Profile
I have a Miller matic 135 sp and it will weld anthing together you need to for most auto needs, I got mine with a bottle and other :pokinit: for $750 Like weldo said it's light portabel and about all you'll need. Ask a welding shop what they think you need. I bet they recomend the Miller or Lincon 135
Sounds like more tree huggin hippie bull :pokinit:

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
Millermatic 210 also. I run .030 wire with C25 (75-25 Argon CO2) I use it for everything from thin sheetmetal to the big stuff. Absolutely love my welder sometimes we even take long naps together.

89 toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1198
  • Male Posts: 383
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
go big the first time you will love it millermatic 210 or lincoln 215 both are good.
89 ext cab sas with diamond +4 1/2" housing 30 spline longs and hub gears, hp elocker, six studs, arp studs in everything, taco rear with elocker. swaped out 22re for 3.4l supercharged, urd 2.0" pulley, urd fuel management, downey headers, flowmaster, cold air intake, marlin clutch that is straining to hold up

Weldo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 101
  • Male Posts: 454
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Use what you can, make what you can't.
    • View Profile
The bigger MIG welders are nice, like the Miller 210, or Lincoln 215.  They have all the capability of the smaller 110V machines plus they give you the ability to weld thicker metals as well.  They also give more adjustability of the parameters like wire feed speed and voltage so you can fine tune the arc for the best weld possible.  The only problem is the price.  Expect to spend $1000 or more for a good 220V MIG welder.  You can get a smaller 110V MIG for about $450 (Lincoln SP135).  The 110V machines are probably all you need for anything automotive.

Check out www.usaweld.com.  This company, called HTP, is a smaller company than Lincoln or Miller, but they seem to have a quality product, and I hear their customer service is great.  You can even try a welder for 90 days, and if you don't like it, they'll take it back no questions asked.  Kinda cool.  I plan to buy a TIG welder from then someday...

If you really want to get serious, you can check out the Lincoln Power Mig series of welders.  These are capable of MIG, TIG, Flux-core, and Stick.  You can hook up a foot pedal to control amperage for TIG, and you can even hook up a spool gun for MIG aluminum.  The Power Migs can do a Pulsed MIG process that greatly helps with sheet metal and out-of-position welding.  These machines are awesome, but awesomeness comes at a price $2500-$3500.  A crap load of money, but one helluva welder.
Welders Hold the World Together!