Author Topic: Knuckle Shims/Bearings causing misalignment?  (Read 1774 times)

jssgbsn

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 440
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Knuckle Shims/Bearings causing misalignment?
« on: Apr 09, 2015, 08:50:43 AM »
I have a slight pull to the left.

The top shims are not the same driver to passenger.  I was trying to get the preload at about 15lb's.  Using 4Crawler rebuild instructions.

Been scratching my head trying to figure out what is causing the pull.  Only thing I can come up with in my head is...

1.) Shims should be equal thickness left to right regardless of preload differences.
2.) The preload driver to passenger was off by about 1lb left to right.  Driver is 15lbs, Passenger is 13-14lbs.
3.) My toe-in widened with wheels on to either zero or toe-out now

Does anybody know if shim difference or preload difference matters for alignment?
Anybody got anything else to consider?

***All of the following was put on brand new...V6 Brake Upgrade, 1.25" Spacers, 25mm Arms w/Bearings and Lower Caps, Tie Rod, Drag Link, TRE's, Pitman Arm.  Axle rebuild <1yr ago)
Tire pressures match, I did rotate them after a very long time of them not being rotated, wear pattern looks good and even on all four tires, havent had them rebalanced ever but the only shake I get is minor bump steer from not having a stabilizer on so I don't think balancing is an issue.  Brakes are not rubbing***
If I don't ask the stupid question, who will?

85 Runner, 22RE, AEM 'warm intake', TRD Cam, LC Headers, Dual Case, 5.29's, ARB Front Locker, Detroit Rear Locker, 35's, V6 Brakes, ARP Studs, Marlin Arms/Caps/Hy-Steer, Winch, Armor, Can-Back Top....and...

...more Gremlins than Gizmo the Mogwai was responsible for.

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Re: Knuckle Shims/Bearings causing misalignment?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10, 2015, 07:00:31 AM »
Could be the axle housing is bent, does not take much of a bend to change handling. I would guess it is bent back instead of up. The best way to check it is to find someone that has a "Jig bar" set-up for Toyota housings.
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2015, 07:08:27 AM by OOPS »
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

jssgbsn [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 10, 2015, 05:10:14 PM »
@OOPS

Tried to google 'toyota jig bar'.  Didn't get to clear of results.

I'm guessing it is a bar close to the 'ID' of the axle housing that goes all the way through the entire housing (assuming it isnt bent).

If housing is bent it hangs or scrapes or closes a gap at som point and that is what tells you. 

Is that the basic idea? Or am I completely off?

And i'm guessing you don't think any of my 3 ideas are or should cause a slight pull to the left?

85 Runner, 22RE, AEM 'warm intake', TRD Cam, LC Headers, Dual Case, 5.29's, ARB Front Locker, Detroit Rear Locker, 35's, V6 Brakes, ARP Studs, Marlin Arms/Caps/Hy-Steer, Winch, Armor, Can-Back Top....and...

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 13, 2015, 06:09:40 AM »
 First thing I would do is to set your tow to 1/8 to 1/4 toe in off the size of your tires. I made some alignment bars that are marked at the center and the size of the tires I run.

Here is a page showing axle jigs.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=axle+jig&id=7E9543F83A0C5817434D00BCE3686C58FBF6789D&FORM=IQFRBA
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

jssgbsn [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 15, 2015, 05:34:21 PM »
Yeah, that is how I set toe-in also.  I used square rod stock instead of angle iron though.  Measured diamter, marked rod stock, clamped to rotor, set toe-in to 1/8".

I still need to check if the weight of truck changed the toe though.

Heard easiesit way it chalk a spot on each tire, roll back halfway, check measurement.  well, that's the only way I have heard to check toe with tires on without having some type of homemade tool screwed into the hub.

Guess I shoulda taken out the word toyota, lol.  Thats what I had in my head.  Im guessing after the dies and bar is in place you just lkeasure the gap all the way around and that's what tells you it is bent.

Thx, i hate it when I try to search for something online cant find it, then somebody posts straightforward results. :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: