Author Topic: Temperature gauge not working???? More problems arriving!! Help!!!  (Read 1665 times)

93REDCRAWLER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 110
  • Male Posts: 563
  • Member since Nov '10
  • You see it we wheel it
    • View Profile
So this is probably a really basic answer but I want to Run it by the pros before I do anything ha ha. So last night I was out wheeling nothing too crazy just a little bit of sand dunes and then out of the blue my temperature gauge stops working and  The cab starts to fill with a smoky smell . I check to see if something had gone wrong with overheating but nothing of the sort had occurred.is it possible for that gauge itself to have burned out to have caused the burning smell?? that's the lead that I've been given so far if this could be it I would really appreciate your confirmation and all your ideas and input is appreciated thank you!!
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2015, 09:57:40 AM by 93REDCRAWLER »

jssgbsn

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 440
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Temperature gauge not working????
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2015, 11:59:20 AM »
Was it a 'sweet' burning smell?  That is a smell some people associate with electrical wires burning.  I would look around for a wire that may have come loose and touch your exhaust headers.  Just a thought.

Temp Gauge out, sweet burning smell = check for burnt temp gauge wire.

Good luck!
If I don't ask the stupid question, who will?

85 Runner, 22RE, AEM 'warm intake', TRD Cam, LC Headers, Dual Case, 5.29's, ARB Front Locker, Detroit Rear Locker, 35's, V6 Brakes, ARP Studs, Marlin Arms/Caps/Hy-Steer, Winch, Armor, Can-Back Top....and...

...more Gremlins than Gizmo the Mogwai was responsible for.

93REDCRAWLER [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 110
  • Male Posts: 563
  • Member since Nov '10
  • You see it we wheel it
    • View Profile
Re: Temperature gauge not working????
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2015, 09:55:25 AM »
So I searched for burnt wires and even tore the dash apart to see if  I could find the problem. Sure enough on the back of the cluster it looks like it's burnt the copper lines that lead to the gauge. But now for my next question. What would have caused this?? Is my ect sensor gone bad and it didn't pick it up so it just cooked the cluster?? Now I have an idle problem after a long drive the idle is high as if I had just started it on a cold morning and at times when I'm braking( but not always) drop to where it is supposed to be. What's causing this?? Same problem or something else?? Again thanks for the help and I have a 93 22 RE if that helps

jssgbsn

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 440
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Pciture?

I'm thinking the sensor is probably working still.  Not super good at the electrical side (or any other side I guess) so not sure if a short was caused and blew a fuse also, or since the circuit (via burnt wires) is faulty so the ECU will not recieve the correct data which may lead to the 2nd problem.  Is there enough length on the wire to strip and reconnect to the guage to see if that fixes the 1st problem? Meaning the guage begins working properly.

2nd problem not sure. 

I would fix the 1st problem (sensor, wire, guage) whatever that turns out to be.  Disconnect your battery for awhile to 'reset' the ECU (pretty sure that is how to do it).  Then perhaps if the 1st problem is giving bad info and/or storing codes creating the 2nd problem it may just go away on it's own.

If it doesn't and you got the Temp Guage working correctly, there are other things that can create a high idle, but I would figure out the 1st problem first to rule it out as the cause.

I have an 85 22RE so things could be very different on your set-up.

I would recommend posting the same questions in the Tech Section for your model year.  You may quicker and better advice than what you'll get in the Newbie thread.

Scroll down the main board until you find...

Vehicle Specific »
Toyota Pickup/4Runner Tech 79-95 »
1989-1995: How-To Guides

And post there.  At least that's where I would have started.

Good luck!!!

If I don't ask the stupid question, who will?

85 Runner, 22RE, AEM 'warm intake', TRD Cam, LC Headers, Dual Case, 5.29's, ARB Front Locker, Detroit Rear Locker, 35's, V6 Brakes, ARP Studs, Marlin Arms/Caps/Hy-Steer, Winch, Armor, Can-Back Top....and...

...more Gremlins than Gizmo the Mogwai was responsible for.