Author Topic: Clutch fitment question - not getting through by phone  (Read 7404 times)

MatS

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -3
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Clutch fitment question - not getting through by phone
« on: Dec 15, 2014, 05:45:57 PM »
So just like the other post below I've been trying to get through by phone and confirm before ordering.

I've got a 1987 with a 2L engine and W56 transmission.  Been needing a clutch for a few months now and OEM prices are crazy.

Wanting to use the bigger upgrade kit and will be doing all the bits at the same time (slave, steel line, boot, bearing slide, clips) and anything else that is original.

So will the kit fit a 2L crank?  Is it all the same as 22R and such?  Just wanting to drop the cash and get wrenching.

MatS [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Got though last night via phone.

Kit will not work with 2L diesel engine.  Nothing offered at this time.

81 shortbed

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 329
  • Member since Nov '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I would say that your truck is a lost cause. So send it my way and I'll take those troubles off your hands. No need to thank me, I'm happy to help out.

MRHilux87

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -306
  • Male Posts: 424
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
I had a 2l truck, and it didn't have the same tranny as any gasoline rig Ive ever had.  The bell housing and all was different. 
1987 4Runner.   3RZ.  SAS Duals 5.29 Elocker Rear Detroit front 35s... Hydro assist
2007 Cummins 6.7 DRW g56.  deleted EFI live.
2013 Ninja 1000
SOLD:
2006 Mitsibishi EVO 9.  347WHP runs 12.2s - Wifes daily driver.  Ducati 916 - track bike.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Hello MatS and :welcome: to :turtle: land :wave:

Got though last night via phone.

Kit will not work with 2L diesel engine.  Nothing offered at this time.
So, we indeed do have a Heavy Duty Marlin Crawler Clutch Kit for the 2L, but let's clarify some things first.

I've got a 1987 with a 2L engine and W56 transmission.
From the factory your truck should have come with a G54, not a W56. It sounds like a previous owner upgraded to the slightly stronger W56 (most likely a W56-A or W56-B). The good news is that the W56-series and G52/G54 use the same exact clutch kit (same 21-spline input and input length), so this both doesn't affect compatibility and also is a slight increase in strength compared to your stock transmission (W-series is about 20% stronger than G-series transmissions).

Wanting to use the bigger upgrade kit and will be doing all the bits at the same time (slave, steel line, boot, bearing slide, clips) and anything else that is original.

So will the kit fit a 2L crank?  Is it all the same as 22R and such?  Just wanting to drop the cash and get wrenching.
This is where the information you were told is correct: Our Oversized Upgrade Kit (link) does not fit the 2L(-T/-TE) because our kit comes with a 22R-E/TE-type flywheel which as you ask does not fit the 2L crank. This particular and specific flywheel we use is in fact the only means about using the larger "Oversized" clutch components on the older drivetrains. So if the flywheel does not fit your 2L, then our bigger upgrade kit can't fit either.

The good news is that the 2L(-T/-TE) use a flywheel that shares the 1979-1992 22R(-E) 8-7/8" flywheel pressure plate bolt pattern and stepping meaning you can indeed use our 8-7/8" Heavy Duty 1,200-pound Kit (link) or our 8-7/8" Super HD 1,600-pound kit (link).

In either case you'd want to select the application as a 4cyl 1981-88 (non-Turbo) using the part number MCCL-123 (for our 1,200-lb kit) or MCCL-123H (for our 1,600-lb kit). Both options are a higher quality kit than OEM that will last longer (especially under high heat conditions) and handle higher torque loads.

So if you don't mind staying with your current 8-7/8" diameter clutch components, then we do have HD and Super HD kits for you :thumbs:

We don't have the 2L listed because for a while we were working on getting flywheels for them and we wanted to hold off until we got it all together, but we actually could just simply add them to our website so I might look into this later this afternoon if time permits. But until then, the part numbers listed above are exactly what you'd need and I have great confidence that you will be greatly impressed with our clutch kit :yesnod:

Regards,
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

MatS [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I just checked the build plate underhood and I f cked up.  It is in fact a G52 transmission.

I appreciate all the information, seems like I'll be ordering all the bits and pieces with the clutch kit from you and talk to Toyota about a flywheel.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
I just checked the build plate underhood and I f cked up.  It is in fact a G52 transmission.
And the truck is for sure manufactured between 11/1986 and 10/1987? Interesting...

I appreciate all the information, seems like I'll be ordering all the bits and pieces with the clutch kit from you and talk to Toyota about a flywheel.
Right awn buddy :beerchug: And don't hold back with uploading some more pictures, that thing is beautiful! Love it

Regards,
BigMike

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
I want one of those!
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

MatS [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile

So this is the list of parts I've come up with from Marlin... seem good?

I need a slave but it's out of stock so I'm fine getting that from Toyota (already have OEM master)

Edit - also added stainless clutch line MCCL - 631

MatS [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
BigMike - saw your build with the triple tcases this afternoon, absolutely crazy cool stuff!!   :thumbs:

Some pictures from the summer

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile

So this is the list of parts I've come up with from Marlin... seem good?

I need a slave but it's out of stock so I'm fine getting that from Toyota (already have OEM master)

Edit - also added stainless clutch line MCCL - 631

Yup that looks good! Hmmmmmm..... I am pretty sure we have Clutch Slave cylinders in stock, but, at the same time, I think the slave for the 2L bellhousing is different so either way go with one from Toyota as I'm pretty sure they are different. Our Stainless Steel clutch line will fit for sure :thumbs: It's a really neat kit

Also thank you for the pictures! I gotta get my truck up to Canada some time! So pretty! Love the double cab with bed railing & hooks. Too cool! BTW how many miles on the truck? It seems to be in very, very good shape

Regards,
BigMike

MatS [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I'm at about 210,000km on the truck.   I've only put about 1,000 of those on since I picked it up bone stock last year.

Condition is significantly better than my '88 of the same body style.  I have one rust hole to fix above the left front cab mount and several spots inside the bed and behind the rear wheel wells.  It'll get done slowly but gotta make it mobile again.

MatS [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
 :yikes:  I just sat down with a glass of rye and watched some videos on the sight....

Now I'm just upset because my want list got even longer... I'm going to double the TCase in the Hilux and crawl even slower  :turtle3:

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Wow that is very low KM for a 1987! Verrrry nice, such a cool truck, wish we got those here in the States.

In 1994 when Marlin changed the way people go off-roading, it was definitely for the better! Back then you were lucky if you could get a final drive ratio of over 50:1 as even Ring and Pinion gearing options weren't well developed. Now with the Marlin Crawler we can easily be over 200:1 and Marlin's life long dreams of "getting respect for Toyota's" and "putting Toyota's on the map" has come true, so much so that 'Rock Crawling', a term he popularized, is a house hold term and even Jeep guys are saying "Hey let's go crawling!". We see new Jeep trucks & aftermarket Jeep companies featuring Marlin Crawler-inspired drivetrain components.

It's really, really cool to see how far it's come. I remember wheel'n as a kid in the 80s where we'd see 1 Toyota for every 20 to 30 Jeeps on the trail. Now it's not rare to find more Toyota's on the trail than Jeeps, at least from what I experience here on the west coast. Jeeps just cannot compete with real, true, Rock Crawling ability that is only made possible from the Marlin Crawler:

That is a customer Crawling my truck at 511:1 :thumbs: No throttle input needed, steady 800 RPM. No brakes required when descending. More time, control, traction to do anything you need out on the trail!

Here I am walking my truck down a pretty steep section on the Rubicon.... Who needs brakes?

Regards,
BigMike
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2014, 01:58:47 PM by BigMike »

MatS [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Got my really nice looking parts today... very excited to have those. 

Transmission is getting pulled on Saturday and going to see how the flywheel looks.  Price for one in Canada is $900+ so I might be machining haha.

Those stickers are going to be well displayed on this truck.  Also the toyota mag with the 4 door Hilux on the cover.... TOO SWEET.