Author Topic: SqWADoosh's 85 Runner Build Thread  (Read 322333 times)

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
Re: SqWADoosh's 85 Runner Build Thread
« Reply #1200 on: Apr 30, 2016, 01:25:48 AM »
From the horizon on some of those pics, it looks like some of those spots were even steeper!
What an awesome experience! Both lockers at all times? Or were you able to get away with using only a rear locker at times?
Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

mudmaster

• Online The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #1201 on: Apr 30, 2016, 08:58:53 AM »
From the horizon on some of those pics, it looks like some of those spots were even steeper!
What an awesome experience! Both lockers at all times? Or were you able to get away with using only a rear locker at times?

No lockers at times!
Time to go wheelin!

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: Apr 30, 2016, 10:42:53 AM »
Matt and I just left Provo, UT, after a stop at Discount Tire. They guy said, "Didn't we do this last year?"

Chris should be home tonight, they rolled out last night and drove late.

We did Behind the Rocks, Sevenmile Rim, Pickle, and Elephant Hill after you all left. White Knuckle has gotten worse and we all had to winch, it wasn't close. Rob attempted a climb of Nose Dive and we winched him there as well. The dirt from the rain was certainly a factor, but it just may be too big now for us.

My passenger rear shock worked the lower bolt out so I had to remove it for the trip back to town to get another bolt.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: Apr 30, 2016, 11:07:09 AM »
The weather was a bit surprising, but I probably should have thought to remind you to be prepared for cold weather. You were camped at a higher elevation and you just never know. I had two pairs of pants, rain pants, an insulated jacket, etc., and I stayed in a cabin. I had it primarily for cold morning and evening trips on the highway with tube doors.

The weather on Thursday was nasty, but Friday was great.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

BigBluePile

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -147
  • Male Posts: 229
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Conquering the toughest malls.
    • View Profile
    • YT
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1204 on: Apr 30, 2016, 11:27:32 AM »
Well, it's a high desert climate so.....😱

Amazing trip guys, what a great experience!   It's been like 20+ years since the last time I was in Moab.  Thanks for sharing the pics!!!! 

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

'86 4Runner SR5 TRD 5VZ-FE
...slightly modified from OEM...

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: Apr 30, 2016, 01:11:24 PM »
Well, it's a high desert climate so.....😱

Amazing trip guys, what a great experience!   It's been like 20+ years since the last time I was in Moab.  Thanks for sharing the pics!!!! 

Lessons were learned for the next trip that is for sure.  :hammerhead:

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: Apr 30, 2016, 01:55:36 PM »
looks like a fun trip
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

BigBluePile

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -147
  • Male Posts: 229
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Conquering the toughest malls.
    • View Profile
    • YT
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1208 on: Apr 30, 2016, 03:57:09 PM »
Saaaaahweeeet!

'86 4Runner SR5 TRD 5VZ-FE
...slightly modified from OEM...

mdtrail-toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 547
  • Male Posts: 238
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: Apr 30, 2016, 06:27:45 PM »
 :thumbs: Awesome video

tiddlerman

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 128
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: Apr 30, 2016, 08:18:57 PM »
nice pics and video. love all the clean rigs! on the bucket list for sure

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile

84 yota dude

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 170
  • Member since Nov '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: May 04, 2016, 02:18:49 PM »
Who owns the gray 4runner with the red beadlocks? Dang that's a clean crawler..love it!

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: May 04, 2016, 03:48:30 PM »
Who owns the gray 4runner with the red beadlocks? Dang that's a clean crawler..love it!

He isn't on the board. A buddy of mine named Chris. It is a very clean rig. I'll give him your props next time I see him  :thumbs:

megaphoneman

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 677
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: May 05, 2016, 11:12:09 AM »
nice video!!

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: May 06, 2016, 05:40:41 PM »
I'm on the board now.  :eyebrow:
Plan to become an active member.
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: May 06, 2016, 06:23:40 PM »

Is there a new day in the week to give you more time?

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: May 06, 2016, 09:11:08 PM »

Nope, just want to follow threw.
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: May 07, 2016, 12:46:04 AM »
Nope, just want to follow threw.

Where da build thread at homie?  :headscratch:

63W

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Nov '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: May 07, 2016, 04:07:03 PM »
Hey sqWADoosh how do you like your arb fridge/freezer?

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: May 07, 2016, 04:55:18 PM »
Hey sqWADoosh how do you like your arb fridge/freezer?

It is not mine. I borrowed it from a friend. That being said I am buying one ASAP if that tells you enough  :D

63W

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Nov '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: May 07, 2016, 05:08:11 PM »
It is not mine. I borrowed it from a friend. That being said I am buying one ASAP if that tells you enough  :D

Yeah I've been looking at them myself. What size you going with?

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: May 07, 2016, 07:19:37 PM »
Yeah I've been looking at them myself. What size you going with?

I'm going to get the dometic 63 QT dual zone.

mudmaster

• Online The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #1223 on: May 09, 2016, 06:27:44 AM »

Bout time........
Time to go wheelin!

txlonghorn

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: May 10, 2016, 05:28:34 PM »
Awesome pics and vids. So beautiful. Would love to make it up there sometime. Will spend more time watching them when I can.

Have done lots of reading in your thread and enjoyed the build up. You are tackling several of the issues that I foresee in the future for myself. So thanks for documenting everything so well!

Several questions about your suspension... I appreciate your time in answering them. You have an 85 and the low-profile Allpro hanger, yes? Did you weld the hanger in the same place as OEM hangers sit or did you move it forward? How far forward would you say your front axle is moved forward from stock (gained from hanger and Allpro leafs)? How many inches of up-travel do you have before you smack your pitman arm? Any measurements from ground to frame at your transfer case?

I also have an 85 and am in the process of fine-tuning my ride height to fit my 37s. I have OME leafs up front (2.5"-3") lift and only have 2.5" of up-travel with the OEM spring hanger. Thinking about a drop hanger or swapping to the Allpro leafs to gain an inch or more of uptravel and bump the axle another .5" forward. Would love to know how your setup sits. Thanks.

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: May 11, 2016, 07:03:23 AM »
Awesome pics and vids. So beautiful. Would love to make it up there sometime. Will spend more time watching them when I can.

Have done lots of reading in your thread and enjoyed the build up. You are tackling several of the issues that I foresee in the future for myself. So thanks for documenting everything so well!

Several questions about your suspension... I appreciate your time in answering them. You have an 85 and the low-profile Allpro hanger, yes? Did you weld the hanger in the same place as OEM hangers sit or did you move it forward? How far forward would you say your front axle is moved forward from stock (gained from hanger and Allpro leafs)? How many inches of up-travel do you have before you smack your pitman arm? Any measurements from ground to frame at your transfer case?

I also have an 85 and am in the process of fine-tuning my ride height to fit my 37s. I have OME leafs up front (2.5"-3") lift and only have 2.5" of up-travel with the OEM spring hanger. Thinking about a drop hanger or swapping to the Allpro leafs to gain an inch or more of uptravel and bump the axle another .5" forward. Would love to know how your setup sits. Thanks.

Thanks for the love, brother.  You are correct I am running the low pro All-Pro hanger. It is welded flush with the frame not placed forward. The reason I went with the low profile hanger is I found a used pair of 5" All-Pro front springs locally for half the price of new. However I wanted to keep my truck as low as possible. So All-Pro had just come out with the low pro hanger right around this time so I spoke with them about what my goal was and that I had a 4Runner. With that the plan going forward was to utilize the combination of the low profile hanger with their new shorter 4" shackles for the front springs. What this achieves is lowering the lift height an inch. Therefore my 5" springs actually sit like 4" springs. Then I went with the 5" in the rear because you want 1 to 2" higher spring in the rear for a 4Runner due to the ass sag caused by the weight of the fiberglass top. If you carry a lot of weight in the rear then go 2" higher. However I don't so I went with a 5" spring in the rear.

The All-Pro springs move the axle forward about 1.5". I can tell you I tuck my 37s in the front with a very small amount of fender trim and the pounding in of my pinch welds. However I did have to trim my rear fenders to fit 37s. I have seen people do a very small amount of trimming on the rear fenders and tuck 37s without a problem. I took out 2" because I had pretty torn up fenders from a flop the season prior.

Now I had problems with up travel due to my pitman arm hitting my springs due to running the low profile hanger. For that reason if you are buying springs new I would just buy 4" springs in the front with a normal hanger and 1 or 2" higher in the rear. However if you do want to run the low profile hanger like me what I did to solve it was purchase the Sky's Manufacturing 3/4" less drop pitman arm. It is spendy though so it makes more sense to do what I just recommended above as the low profile hanger is the same cost as the regular and by running the regular you shouldn't have the pitman arm problem. As far as how much up travel I have I don't have a number for you there. I can tell you I fully stuff my tires and have bump stopped my up travel because any more and my springs begin reverse arching which you do not want.

I would recommend reaching out to zippo or helipilot about how to get more out of your OME leafs as both of them have experience with them and I know zippo was decently flexy with his. Best of luck buddy and get a build thread going if you haven't already!  :thumbs:

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: May 11, 2016, 06:33:42 PM »
Going through my moab files I found a video of our campsite at night  :rofl2:

P.S. LiveOak this was the video I was referring to.

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: May 11, 2016, 10:17:22 PM »
omg,
I started laugh crying.
Good stuff

txlonghorn

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: May 12, 2016, 04:05:02 PM »
Thanks for answering my questions! I will be in contact with those guys and inquire about their experiences with the springs before I make a decision about tweaking my setup. Your experience with the Allpro springs helps me narrow things down.

I'll have to create a build thread and post up a few pics I have of the steering box placement as it sits now. I have a flat arm and have the box pretty much vertical. Axle is 1 3/8" forward from drilling holes in the spring perches. Looks like I need to move it another 1/2" forward in order to avoid having to cut up the firewall. A combination of different springs/new spring hanger is what I am looking into to fix this issue.

Unrelated question... I've seen a few pictures of your Badlands bumper together with a white 4runner with the Allpro front bumper (has plate added to it). Having seen them both, are they both stout and worth recommending? I'm considering my options and prefer very low profile (don't even need a winch) and lightweight. Allpro is one that I am considering, but might be a bit bulky with the double tube running around the corner.

Hijack over! Now off to watch your vids in Moab...

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: May 15, 2016, 12:56:52 PM »
Thanks for answering my questions! I will be in contact with those guys and inquire about their experiences with the springs before I make a decision about tweaking my setup. Your experience with the Allpro springs helps me narrow things down.

I'll have to create a build thread and post up a few pics I have of the steering box placement as it sits now. I have a flat arm and have the box pretty much vertical. Axle is 1 3/8" forward from drilling holes in the spring perches. Looks like I need to move it another 1/2" forward in order to avoid having to cut up the firewall. A combination of different springs/new spring hanger is what I am looking into to fix this issue.

Unrelated question... I've seen a few pictures of your Badlands bumper together with a white 4runner with the Allpro front bumper (has plate added to it). Having seen them both, are they both stout and worth recommending? I'm considering my options and prefer very low profile (don't even need a winch) and lightweight. Allpro is one that I am considering, but might be a bit bulky with the double tube running around the corner.

Hijack over! Now off to watch your vids in Moab...

The white 4Runner you are referring to was owned by zippo. You could talk to him about that at the same time as you ask him about his OME springs he ran. He sold that truck but he's a great guy and would be happy to answer any questions on it. As for my Badland bumper, I love that thing. It might not be the coolest looking bumper out there but I have beat the :pokinit: out of it and it just shrugs it off and asks for more. No matter what bumper you go with I will tell you that you should definitely get the front of the frame, where the bumper will mount, reinforced. Almost all the aftermarket companies that sell bumpers for our trucks sell the reinforcement plate. This is what I'm referring to: http://www.addictedoffroad.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=73  I have to ask what makes you say you do not need a winch?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 01:03:28 PM by SqWADoosh »