Author Topic: Leaky air locker  (Read 2810 times)

Desertfam

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 18
  • Member since May '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Leaky air locker
« on: Nov 14, 2014, 09:12:49 AM »
Hoping you guys can help! Recently I noticed my rear ARB air locker was leaking. When I run the rear locker the cab of my 4runner smells like gear oil and I can hear it in my vent tube coming off the third. Also the compressor will run nonstop. This doesn't happen when I run the front one. here's my questions for you guys. The other day I was out playing around in the rocks and got hung up pretty good. my buddy's said that it looked as if neither of my lockers where working. #1 Could this be because my compressor is running nonstop because of the rear that I'm not getting enough air to engage them? The steering felt difficult as if the front was engaged but both tires where not spinning. Neither where both rears. #2 Any ideas what's going on with the rear that's causing the smell in the cab and the compressor to run nonstop? I keep hearing possibly a bad seal or Oring. Last but not least #3 where is the best place to get the seals/parts to fix this? Really bums me out cuz I'm gonna miss the jambo this weekend cuz of this little problem. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

toyyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
Re: Leaky air locker
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2014, 05:24:39 PM »
I have the same problem (almost). My front air locker by itself werks great. When I hit the rear, the compressor stays on. I spoke with Big Mike about this, and he says to first check for a bad air line from the compressor to the diff. If your smelling gear lube, then the air leak is likely inside the rear diff, so your breather is venting the air. I think you (and I) need to pull the rear axles and rear third to repair the air leak. It could be the copper air line, or a bad seal?

Desertfam [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 18
  • Member since May '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2014, 06:55:48 AM »
Yea that's kinda what I'm thinking. I was gonna call and talk to them as well than probably order some parts. Need to get this fixed so I can get back out wheeling! Thanks for your input!

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2014, 11:49:17 AM »
..............When I run the rear locker the cab of my 4runner smells like gear oil and I can hear it in my vent tube coming off the third. Also the compressor will run nonstop. This doesn't happen when I run the front one. here's my questions for you guys. The other day I was out playing around in the rocks and got hung up pretty good. my buddy's said that it looked as if neither of my lockers where working. #1 Could this be because my compressor is running nonstop because of the rear that I'm not getting enough air to engage them? The steering felt difficult as if the front was engaged but both tires where not spinning. Neither where both rears. #2 Any ideas what's going on with the rear that's causing the smell in the cab and the compressor to run nonstop? I keep hearing possibly a bad seal or Oring. Last but not least #3 where is the best place to get the seals/parts to fix this?................
With the comp running non-stop you either have a leak in the rear air lines, chewed through the copper tube w/the ring gear, or a blown seal.

An o-ring issue would be at the diff housing, it would cause the comp to run non stop since the line wont pressurize, the extra air around the diff could cause the smell inside.  However if you have can feel the air coming out the diff vent line, then the leak is inside the diff, either a blown seal or you somehow chewed through the copper air line that runs close to the ring gear.  If you have both the front and rear ARB's plumbed off of the same airline, neither will engage with an air leak.

I would call all ARBUSA, and talk to the tech department, they may have an idea of what the issue is depending on the production date of the locker, they will have all the parts needed.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod