0 (0%)
NX Unigraphics / Siemes
0 (0%)
SketchUp / Google
1 (14.3%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Got CAD?  (Read 4067 times)

x250f23x

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -25
  • Male Posts: 172
  • Member since Aug '12
  • 8D 8] 8| 8\ 8[
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Got CAD?
« on: Nov 12, 2014, 09:10:55 PM »
Who wants to share, trade or talk CAD in general?
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2014, 09:21:13 PM by x250f23x »

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
Re: Got CAD?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 07:55:41 PM »
I'm in.   I have seen some of your other posts about SW/CAD and have definitely wanted to pick your brain about stuff before.  I pretty much just do it as a hobby and am self taught in both CAD and SW of different years, and I really cannot speak engineering lingo. But I have spent some time reverse engineering and drawing random parts around my house for challenges.   I have attached a few learning projects (reduced size) I have done, as well as what I'm currently working on.

I do like both CAD and SW for different reasons, but when it comes to just sketching a product without knowing the sizes first SW is where it is at. I can always modify and give it hard dimensions later where I find CAD to want me to give many specifics up front.

I'm always down to learn more, and I would like to take it to the next level.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 08:02:01 PM by Wermz84 »
I like to Drive!

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 08:10:00 PM »
For your knuckle ball drawing, where do you even start measuring?  I have thought about trying that one before, but i find a lack of hard measurement spots makes it difficult.
I like to Drive!

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,725
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 05:49:52 AM »
I would love to use cad or solid works for some of my projects but I just find it prohibitively expensive and have tried sketch-up and didn't like it. How do you guys get the software?
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

SKULLYOTA

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -57
  • Male Posts: 52
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Garage Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 11:07:48 AM »
I took an online class from the CAD institute, got the student program with it.  I'm a noob with my 2d drawings though :hammerhead:
85 x-cab- duals, flatbed, locked, 33's....

70 FJ55-in pieces

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 12:07:13 PM »
So.... my wife is a certified CAD engineer. She has to go to the Autodesk conference every few years
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Talon84x4

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 375
  • Male Posts: 919
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2016, 12:57:17 PM »
I know this is an oldish one, but I've been using ACAD for work for the last 3 years. Knew the program long before that but started in this job as a drafter and worked my way up to a mechanical designer. We design packaging machines for pharma as well as commercial goods. That's basically why I've been much less active for the last 3 years or so, draw draw draw.
Low & Slow 84 PU - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=31982.0
Central Valley Crawlers

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2016, 12:52:25 AM »

I took 4 years of drafting in HS, then I recently picked it back up! Man, So awesome to see the changes they've made!

Here's what I'm working on:

It's nothing amazing, but it's coming along...
Here it is rendered in Rhinoceros5:

I've used it to fabricate my own adapter plate for my York OBA setup:

I'd love to get some help with this bumper design, as I'm probably buying an 8274 tomorrow afternoon :D

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2016, 06:23:40 PM »
That's a nice little bracket!  You should make more and sell em to board members  :wink2:

Bumper design looks good, too.  I like the design of the arb and warn bumpers but feel they don't have enough bracing.  Nice part of building your own would be working in better bracing and gussets to achieve a stronger bumper with minimal weight gains.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2016, 06:25:04 PM »
I used to have an 8274 but it got stollen. They are the best! Such fast line speed. If you get one you will need to enlarge the opening on the top of the bumper for the motor to fit through. I think I remember that they mount only at the fairlead instead of at the base like the compact models.
Is Rhinoceros5 a free program. I'd like like to get back into it and have some stuff laser cut. Looks like your stuff turned out nice.
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2016, 11:42:42 PM »
That's a nice little bracket!  You should make more and sell em to board members  :wink2:

Bumper design looks good, too.  I like the design of the arb and warn bumpers but feel they don't have enough bracing.  Nice part of building your own would be working in better bracing and gussets to achieve a stronger bumper with minimal weight gains.

Heck yeah! The bracket bolts to the stock 4 bolt ac bracket... could you point me in the right direction (thread) of where I could post it to sell them?

I used to have an 8274 but it got stollen. They are the best! Such fast line speed. If you get one you will need to enlarge the opening on the top of the bumper for the motor to fit through. I think I remember that they mount only at the fairlead instead of at the base like the compact models.
Is Rhinoceros5 a free program. I'd like like to get back into it and have some stuff laser cut. Looks like your stuff turned out nice.

Not sure if Rhino is a free one, but I'm using the student version of AutoCAD... and that's free  :biggthumpup:
I still don't have enough posts to be able to create my own thread, and I don't wanna do the stupid new guy stuff of making a new thread when I shouldn't be.. so yeah, point me in the right direction? or convince someone to let me make a new thread  :shades:
Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

OVRAROK

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26852
  • Male Posts: 3,506
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2016, 10:30:17 PM »
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?board=18.0

That'll be great once I get more than 11 posts lol... Not sure if I should just make 11 "hello and about me" posts haha

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2016, 04:07:46 PM »
That'll be great once I get more than 11 posts lol... Not sure if I should just make 11 "hello and about me" posts haha

Yeah, that's kind of how it goes. You've got to introduce yourself to us.

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2016, 01:49:50 AM »
oh haha... I figured the hello and about me was just one post... alright, well I'll throw some more stuffs up there :D Thanks!

Also, staying closer to the topic of this thread lol...

Anyone have some winch bumper designs for an 8274? lol