Author Topic: New to Forum  (Read 1692 times)

Misfit Toy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -158
  • Male Posts: 16
  • Member since Nov '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
New to Forum
« on: Nov 03, 2014, 07:57:13 AM »
Hi everybody, I'm new to the forum and hoping to learn a lot. I have a 83 SR5 longbed with about 6 inches of lift, 37" swampper boggers, a 350 swap and a exo cage. It was set up as a mud truck when I got it and was not in the greatest shape. It had no breaks, was lifted by blocks all the way around, and very little flex. So far I have put 4" lift springs on the front with home made shackles that are about 6" from bolt to bolt. I am getting ready to install a High Steer kit with a IFS power steering box from a 93 yota that I will also be drilling and tapping for future hydro assist . By the way 37's and manual steering is not fun on the trails.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: New to Forum
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2014, 08:33:01 AM »
:welcome: Misfit Toy to :turtle: land :wave:

Hi everybody, I'm new to the forum and hoping to learn a lot. I have a 83 SR5 longbed
Nice, another 1st gen! When is it's manufacture date, a month in 1982 or 1983? For now we can forgive you for having Square Headlights. (blasphemy!)

with about 6 inches of lift, 37" swampper boggers, a 350 swap and a exo cage.
How much frame bracing was done between the front of the frame all the way to the second cab body mount at the bottom of the A-pillar? First gen trucks (1979-83) have nearly 2-inches less room between the radiator support and the firewall, making V6 and V8 engine swaps a more tight fit, and the first gen frame just isn't built right for all the extra weight. It is common, especially with V8s, for the frame to crack if it was not heavily braced.

It was set up as a mud truck
:puke: Get ready for a bunch of dirt clods falling in your face every time you slide under the truck on a creeper to work on it. It would also be interesting to see how much moisture has gotten into the knuckles and front axle...

It had no breaks
No brakes.... as in they weren't bled properly or as in no brake pedal at all? :headscratch:

with about 6 inches of lift ... I am getting ready to install a High Steer kit
Is it really still using the stock push-pull steering with about 6-inches of lift? Bumpsteer anyone!

As for High Steer, which kit are you going with? Our kit is the strongest on the market with it's 116% larger USA-made Chromoly pins, click here for more info. It is listed as out of stock but our machine shop is working on more arms as I type so shouldn't be too much longer.

By the way 37's and manual steering is not fun on the trails.
Yes, but it makes you a MAN. :ladys-man: We have a guy in one of our local clubs with a FJ55 IronPig Land Cruiser Wagon on 35s with no power steering, no power brakes, and still using the stock drum front brakes too. I am not manly enough to drive his truck. :ha_ha:

Looking forward to seeing some pics of this mud'n beast :yupyup: Are you planning on keeping the V8 in there? Also, is it running a T350 or SM420 or?

Regards,
BigMike
« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2014, 08:49:23 AM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Misfit Toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2014, 09:16:16 AM »
I will have to check the manufacture date, and I kind of like the square headlight look. No frame bracing has been put in yet, but that is something on my list of things to do over the winter. The rear brakes were completely gone, no pad on the passenger side and the drives side was not far behind. Everything was packed with mud and gunk and both of the rear wheel cylinders blew out. The fronts however were in good shape. Yes it still has the stock push pull set up and I now know what people mean by bump steer (if you hit a bump you cannot steer). I had already purchased the trail gear High Steer kit, but that was before I found your web site. I do plan on keeping the V8 in it and its running a TH350 with a NP203 behind it. I am also looking into doing a 203/205 doubler, just have to find a good NP205 to play with.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2014, 10:14:09 AM »
I will have to check the manufacture date, and I kind of like the square headlight look.
The problem with 1982 and 1983 1st gens is that their square headlights break a 31-year tradition of round headlight Toyota 4WD trucks. Not to mention the earth is round, the sun is round, and boobies are round. Round is clearly better. :boobs:

No frame bracing has been put in yet, but that is something on my list of things to do over the winter.
It is definitely highly recommend. Think about it this way. The front of the frame bears the most amount of weight and also has to hold onto the object developing torque, yet it is only supported at it's front (front spring hanger beneath the radiator) and above the rear drive shaft beneath the front edge of the bed (the horse-collar crossmember). It also gets help from the transfer case crossmember, but that's far away from the engine mounts. Plus it has to deal with leaf springs pushing back up at all the weight of the (much heavier V8) engine. The frame up front is under stress and anything you can do to help it will go a long way.

Everything was packed with mud and gunk and both of the rear wheel cylinders blew out.
Nasty

I had already purchased the trail gear High Steer kit, but that was before I found your web site.
No problem, just at least don't use their cheap knuckle bearings. Almost every time I'm on the Rubicon I see blown-up TG knuckle bearings. Lifetime guarantee my ass. You could upgrade their Chinese steering arms to use our larger pins, you'd just need to bore out their smaller 3/4" pin-to-arm connection to our press-fit 1" pin-to-arm connection. This would give you a 77.8% larger shearing surface area alone. We even offer this as a simple upgrade kit, see https://www.marlincrawler.com/steering/high-steer/25mm-steering-pin-upgrade-kit, and our High Capacity Japanese-made KOYO bearings are 54% stronger than the stock Toyota Japanese bearings which are themselves stronger than the TG Chinese bearings. :suprised:

I do plan on keeping the V8 in it and its running a TH350 with a NP203 behind it. I am also looking into doing a 203/205 doubler, just have to find a good NP205 to play with.
Sounds like it's gonna be a lot of fun. Do you happen to know about what year/era the 350 is from, and do you have plans for this to be a road going vehicle or trail-use only? :driving:

:beerchug:

BigMike
« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2014, 10:23:28 AM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

toe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -60
  • Male Posts: 1,693
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2014, 01:02:31 PM »
 :welcome:
Me

Misfit Toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2014, 02:47:11 PM »
When you put it like that I will concede to your point round is better. I have been looking the steering pin upgrade and it sounds like something that will happen over the winter. The 350 is a early to mid 80s with center bolt valve covers. Not sure the exact year but it still has a mechanical fuel pump. The truck is licenced and insured but if it goes anywhere more than 3 or 4 miles from home its on a trailer. I did get adventurous once and drove it about 15 miles to meet up with some of my club members, but that was when I found out that the brakes were gone and the wheel cylinders blew out on that trip.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2014, 09:44:50 PM »
:welcome: II  :turtle:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Misfit Toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2014, 06:28:20 AM »
Thanks Toe and Rocksurfer for the welcome.

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1141
  • Male Posts: 1,565
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2014, 06:43:39 AM »
 :welcome::turtle:   :beerchug:
3RZ, LC engineering Turbo kit, R151, Dual Ultimate, Yota axles-5:29s, Spartan front, LSD Rear

Misfit Toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2014, 09:20:34 AM »
For my 12th post I thought I would ask a question. Will I gain any flex when I install my Hysteer? The reason I ask is that I took the little Yota out this weekend, and it preformed ok but I still don't have the flex I am looking for. Right now it has 4 inch Procomp front springs with 6 inch shackles, and in the rear it is just blocked with a about a 4 inch shackle. I am also thinking about ditching the Procomp set up and doing RUF and 63" Chevy's in the rear. All suggestions or comments welcome.

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1141
  • Male Posts: 1,565
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2014, 09:27:40 AM »
RUF and chevy 63s are a great set up from what i have seen/read.. I do not believe you will gain any flex with hi steer.. just clearing the steering linkage from rocks and such..
3RZ, LC engineering Turbo kit, R151, Dual Ultimate, Yota axles-5:29s, Spartan front, LSD Rear

Willard

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1608
  • Male Posts: 627
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2014, 07:14:29 PM »
 :welcome:
90'4runner......lots of goodies.