Author Topic: ToyYoda's 1994 Pickup Build Thread  (Read 100389 times)

Toy_Yoda

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -120
  • Male Posts: 204
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: ToyYoda's 1994 Pickup Build Thread
« Reply #300 on: Oct 17, 2017, 11:28:58 AM »
Thanks guys,  I have enough tube to make both a single u joint end and a double cardan end so I may go that route and can swap them around to see performance differences later on down to road.  I've started to clean up the 85 double cardan and plan to rebuild it soon as well.  Anyone know if the double cardan uses the same u joints?  This truck isn't gonna be a daily driver anymore and will really only be used in four wheel at slow speeds off road so a square tube should work good upfront.  I'll be looking else where for a quality rear drive shaft later on down the road. 

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: Nov 06, 2017, 06:59:02 AM »
I didn't manage to make as much progress recently as I was hoping, but I did clean up the rear wiring harness while also extending the fuel pump and level gauge wiring to reach the relocated tank.

Also, cleaned up the thermostat housing from the 85' parts truck and found this adapter from GlowShift so I can install an aftermarket temp sensor.

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: Nov 09, 2017, 06:28:00 PM »
minor update... Picked up a dual stage thermostat and got that installed along with the 85' thermo housing.

I have been wanting to relocate the oil filter and possibly add in an oil cooler so I picked up this adapter from improved racing.  While this isn't the cheapest oil cooler adapter out there it seems to be extremely well made and I'm glad I went with it versus some cheaper amazon option.  It has -10 AN sized fittings along with a 1/8 NPT port for an after market sensor (plus its made in the USA).  The truck is now ready to install aftermarket coolant temp and oil pressure sensors. 

Crawlnow

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 32
  • Member since Nov '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: Nov 12, 2017, 07:25:45 AM »
I like top mount. Keeps everything up and away from  damage. I haven't had a problem with shock travel in rear. My biggest problem with shock travel is avoiding cutting inner fender in front. Cant load pics yet but i welded tabs to top of axle in rear.

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #304 on: Nov 13, 2017, 11:44:02 PM »
minor update... Picked up a dual stage thermostat and got that installed along with the 85' thermo housing.

I have been wanting to relocate the oil filter and possibly add in an oil cooler so I picked up this adapter from improved racing.  While this isn't the cheapest oil cooler adapter out there it seems to be extremely well made and I'm glad I went with it versus some cheaper amazon option.  It has -10 AN sized fittings along with a 1/8 NPT port for an after market sensor (plus its made in the USA).  The truck is now ready to install aftermarket coolant temp and oil pressure sensors. 

Can you share links to these items?

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: Nov 20, 2017, 08:38:00 AM »
Here are 3 links I found in about 20 seconds....

https://www.yotamasters.com/shop/engine-performance/factory-toyota-22r22re-dual-stage-thermostat/

http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-cooler-adapters/universal-billet-remote-oil-filter-take-off-plate-p-644.html

http://www.lceperformance.com/2-Stage-Thermostat-OEM-22R-22RE-190-Degree-p/1032081.htm

Gnarls.  :gap:

Yep those are them.  The improved racing adapter has changed a little from the once shown on the internet to the one I have on the engine.  Not much changed but it does only have one sensor port vs 2 shown on older version.

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: Nov 20, 2017, 08:41:14 AM »
After some thought I have decided to reuse my old NWOR header.  Its got some rust on it but functioned great prior to my rebuild.  I was on the fence about getting a new one or having mine ceramic coated to clean it up a bit.  In the end I've already dropped more cash on this truck then I originally intended, so I'm trying to save a couple pennies here and there.

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: Nov 21, 2017, 07:42:34 AM »
It has been pointed out on pirate that some basic BBQ paint and header wrap might be a decent way to go on my old header.  Any opinions out there on header wrap?  Everything I read suggests not to do it since you can damage/rust out the header.  Since this is a 10 year old header damaging it wouldn't be the biggest loss in the world.  Additionally, the floor of the cab above the header use to get pretty warm while driving around.  My thinking is wrapping the header could help that out a bit.  I've also been thing about the Lizard skin stuff and/or a better heat shield of sorts on the underside of the cab.

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #309 on: Nov 21, 2017, 07:53:36 AM »
Do not waste your time wrapping it. Will trap moisture and rot it out. Been there and done it. Regret it. Just put some good insulation under the carpet. As far as appearance on the header goes. Take a torch and heat the whole thing up cherry red and douse it with old atf. It gives it a blackish color and helps prevent rust.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: Nov 22, 2017, 08:14:16 AM »
Do not waste your time wrapping it. Will trap moisture and rot it out. Been there and done it. Regret it. Just put some good insulation under the carpet. As far as appearance on the header goes. Take a torch and heat the whole thing up cherry red and douse it with old atf. It gives it a blackish color and helps prevent rust.

I've kind of circled back around to possibly getting the header ceramic coated at a local shop here in Houston.  After reading a bit about getting headers ceramic coated it appears that they need a final curing after being installed.  This curing however, can get messed up if installed on a new engine that hasn't been broken in yet (which will be the case for me).  So for now I'm planning to install the header as is and will look into getting it coated later on down the road once the truck is up and running again  :crossed:

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: Nov 27, 2017, 10:27:27 AM »
Got some new tacoma front brake lines from Marlin the other day.  I welded a tab to the frame and this is how I'm planning to route the lines at the moment.

Painted up a couple random bits as well.

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: Dec 07, 2017, 12:16:29 PM »
I got my fuel injectors all installed along with a few other odds and ends.  I have also been going back and forth on removing most of my emissions stuff from the engine.  In Houston we do emissions testing but after 25 years (as I understand things) you now longer need to do emissions testing.   Since the truck is a 1994 that means after 2018 I will no longer need to worry about that, and since I'll be lucky to have it fully up and running next year I shouldn't have an issue.  Additionally,  my old EGR is pretty suspect looking and the cost of a new one is way more than some block off plates.  So after going back and forth I have decided to block everything off. 

One thing I happened to have was a stainless metric pipe plug that fit where the BVSV was located so I plugged that off while installing the fuel injectors.

I also cleaned up and tested the cold start thermo swith which test out good according the FSM.

Block off plates for the EGR from 22re Performance

I also started t strip down and clean up the engine harness.  Most of the plugs look good expect the AFM plug which has been broken for a while.  Fortunately I have a good one off the 85 parts truck so I just need to swap the two out.  Anyone know an easy method of removing the wires from the plugs? (I haven't had a chance to mess with it yet)

The only other plug that has an issue is the oil pressure gauge.  Its pretty much broken and I need to  find a replacement.  Stopped by the dealership and they weren't much help.

Anyone know an online place I might be able to find one?  Other wise I may have to spend some time roaming the local junkyards.  Pretty sure I can eventually find one its just how long will it take.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #313 on: Dec 07, 2017, 01:15:22 PM »
you looking for a gauge? Sensor? or plug?
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: Dec 08, 2017, 08:16:41 AM »
you looking for a gauge? Sensor? or plug?

I need to find the plug, sensor are gauge are all good.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #315 on: Dec 08, 2017, 10:24:25 AM »
I need to find the plug, sensor are gauge are all good.

here is your part number
90980-11363
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: Dec 08, 2017, 10:30:25 AM »
here is your part number
90980-11363

You are awesome! :biggthumpup:

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: Dec 18, 2017, 05:11:07 PM »
here is your part number
90980-11363

Thanks again THK Matt, I got the new plug in the mail the other day, perfect match

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: Dec 18, 2017, 05:19:03 PM »
I have some questions about the 22re distributors.  I know the 93-95 22RE distributors have a different plug but is that the only difference?  I've always liked the plug type and holder clip on the older 22re's and was wondering if I could just swap the distributor pickups around.  I hate how mine would just dangle off the distributor.  If I cant go this route can anyone tell me the actual difference between the different distributors and years?

rybike

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 379
  • Male Posts: 122
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Nearly 10 years younger than my truck
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: Dec 18, 2017, 06:26:56 PM »
So on my 88 I have ran the later model cap and rotor with the clips on the plug wires, but the issue was the wire coming from the coil. I had to use the old style wire without the clip and bend the metal end that went into the distributor to make it fit in the smaller hole. Not sure if you could use the 93/95 coil but I ended up going to a factory cap and rotor for my year   

freckles2893

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: Jan 04, 2018, 09:21:12 PM »
still slowly working on fixing the old image links...

But I did pickup LC engineering's 35lbs fly wheel which is definitely heavier than the stock fly wheel.

had a few min to slip it on the engine and hope to have it all torqued down soon followed by the new clutch.  Anyone have a good method for keeping the fly wheel still while I torque the bolts down?  Once I'm done with this I can get on with getting the trany and transfer case bolted up.

Breaker bar on crank bolt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: Jan 07, 2018, 12:01:20 PM »
Yoder update...

Got a couple of things for Christmas.  Mostly some odds and ends along with a couple of gauges. 

My original signal generator was broken and I spliced in another off a junk yard engine a few years back.  Some of the wiring was getting a bit crusty so I picked up a new signal generator and cleaned up my distributor.

I'm now around to installing the distributor, so that I can get the engine mostly sealed up.  I installed a new o-ring and set the #1 piston to TDC on the compression stoke (#1 rocker arms are loose) and then backed it to 5 degrees BTDC as per the FSM.   I lined everything up and stabbed the distributor into its new home.  The rotor is pointing at the #1 spot, but I have very little room to adjusted the distributor in one direction (See pic) once I line everything up with the signal generator.  Does this seem correct?  I was expecting it to be more centered so I could adjust the distributor in either direction.

Could this be do to the fact I used an adjustable cam gear and set the cam timing to be 3 degrees advanced?  If I set the distrubtor timing at say 10-12 I get more room to adjust the distributor.

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #322 on: Jan 07, 2018, 04:32:15 PM »
This 5° is news to me. Not saying it is incorrect, I may have been doing it wrong all along. I've built more than I can count on my appendages. Every one crank was set to 0° rotor pointing to number 1 and adjuster centered.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: Jan 07, 2018, 05:23:36 PM »
This 5° is news to me. Not saying it is incorrect, I may have been doing it wrong all along. I've built more than I can count on my appendages. Every one crank was set to 0° rotor pointing to number 1 and adjuster centered.

This is what I found for 22RE, I can at least align things like the FSM stats just feel like I should be more centered in the adjustment range of the Distributor.

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: Jan 11, 2018, 05:12:47 AM »
Got a couple more items from the Brown Santa the other day.

First a remanned Denso starter.

and Second a new high output alternator from LC.

I also picked up Trail Gears silicone coolant hoses which I like, however, the t-style hose clamps that came with it are cheep Chinese crap.  The have rough/sharp edges in various places that would easily cut into the silicone and are all a bit small except one.  So it looks like I'm gonna have to look else where for some higher quality t-style hose clamps.

I'm still researching my distributor a little bit before buttoning up the valve cover, but everything seems to check out so I'm not too concerned with a tooth being off somewhere.  I just have very little adjustment room in one direction. 

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: Jan 12, 2018, 05:30:13 AM »
After staring at the cam sprocket at TDC for a while, the dowel pin appears the be closer to 12:01 than 12:00 and the dimple close to 11:56ish (Am I being overly picky here?).  I don't believe I'm a tooth off as adjusting the cam sprocket a tooth either way would throw the dowel pin way off from its current position (I think).  Plus I dialed in the camshaft and got back the numbers expected based on the cam specs (would this be possible if off a tooth?).

I think I'm good to go but wouldn't mind some feed back if something looks off to a more experienced eye, or my thinking seems off.

Gnarly4X

• Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #326 on: Jan 12, 2018, 07:56:42 AM »
If you have verified the crankshaft is sitting at zero degrees at balancer ignition timing tab, #1 piston is firing, distributor rotor is pointing to number one on the cap, I think you are good.

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: Jan 23, 2018, 05:15:59 AM »
I made some progress on redressing the engine wiring harness and got it all cleaned and rewrapped.  I also started getting it installed and I ended up finding the knock sensor plug was broken, so I ordered up a replacement which should be here soon.  Other wise I need to replace the plug on the #1 fuel injector but other wise everything looks pretty good.

I have been doing some light searching but haven't found my answer yet.  I'm trying to lock down which VSV controls what and since I'm removing the emissions stuff I want to see which ones I no longer need.  These is the brown, blue and grey VSV's on top of the valve cover.

rybike

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 379
  • Male Posts: 122
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Nearly 10 years younger than my truck
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: Feb 03, 2018, 07:48:02 AM »
If you haven't already figured it out, the blue is the only one you need being fuel pressure, brown is for the pair valve and white should be ac

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: Feb 03, 2018, 08:04:27 AM »
If you haven't already figured it out, the blue is the only one you need being fuel pressure, brown is for the pair valve and white should be ac

Thanks, I did figure it out after looking at the emissions sticker under my hood :shake:.  I've read on other posts about people hooking the fuel pressure vacuum hose straight up to a port on the plenum and not having any issues.  This is currently the route I'm going to try but I have kept all the VSV's in case I need to hook them back up.  I'm planning to keep the A/C (Houston) so I'm keeping the grey/white as well.