Author Topic: Is there an option?  (Read 1160 times)

Speed

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -22
  • Male Posts: 127
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Is there an option?
« on: Sep 21, 2014, 02:42:20 AM »
Hi all;
   Is there any kind of a P/S conversion available for my '81 Hilux 4WD? I haven't had much luck finding a complete set up in the wrecking yards,and the price of individual parts to build a complete set up new is prohibitive,so I'm wondering,has anyone found another complete power steering set up that's a relatively easy install?
   Speed
"HMMmmmm--What can I make outta that??"

"Bash On Regardless"

81 shortbed

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 329
  • Member since Nov '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Is there an option?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21, 2014, 05:58:57 AM »
Post something in the parts wanted section. I bought most of my ps setup from a member here

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1141
  • Male Posts: 1,565
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2014, 08:07:14 AM »
Yeah. You just need the crank pulley, PS pump/bracket, hoses, reservoir- which I have if ya need.- reservoir. And the PS box.
3RZ, LC engineering Turbo kit, R151, Dual Ultimate, Yota axles-5:29s, Spartan front, LSD Rear

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1141
  • Male Posts: 1,565
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2014, 08:08:08 AM »
You will find 5 he parts here on MC if you give it a little time. Probably score everything for a few hundred.  The PS box will be your biggest cost
3RZ, LC engineering Turbo kit, R151, Dual Ultimate, Yota axles-5:29s, Spartan front, LSD Rear

Speed [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -22
  • Male Posts: 127
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #4 on: Sep 25, 2014, 07:17:02 PM »
   Okay,so the Toyota set up is pretty much the only game in town? I was hoping there was something more common than the S.A. Toyota set up out there that could be made to fit;I'd hoped to find something I might be able to "junkyard" for cheap here in the VUW (Vast Uncharted Wilderness),because A-I'm worried about the cost of shipping a whole et up, B-I can find nearly anything I need through my friends and contacts here EXCEPT Toyota truck parts. (They remain one of Elko County's best kept secrets.),and C-Money IS an issue,otherwise I could drive to SLC and hit the wrecking yards there. I'm thinking if I can get through the Winter with it as is,I can use that time gathering parts,doing research,pondering possibilities,and do it up proper next Spring.
   Also wondering if there's an American truck rear axle that's close enough to the Toyota's measurements to swap in fairly easily. I'm thinking maybe an early 60's GMC rear;leaf springs,about the same width,also narrow springs,and a lot of 'em were equipped with 3.90 Traction-Lock carriers. Depending on what it takes to fit one up (I think the biggest cost would be modifying a driveline to work with its yoke.),it may be cheaper than spending several hundred $$'s to put a locker in the stock rear and have it set up.
   Speed
"HMMmmmm--What can I make outta that??"

"Bash On Regardless"