Author Topic: New Bfg At KO2  (Read 32328 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
New Bfg At KO2
« on: Sep 04, 2014, 03:10:27 PM »
After a long lead in, there's a tentative release date of november this year.  Beefier sidewall tread, blocky shoulder lugs and slightly changed center tread.  Not available in all sizes yet.  Looks to be in mostly vanity and bigger sizes, with the standard at ko remaining in lots of sizes.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

81 shortbed

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 329
  • Member since Nov '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: New Bfg At KO2
« Reply #1 on: Sep 04, 2014, 05:49:37 PM »
Those sidewalls look awesome!

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 04, 2014, 09:50:51 PM »
The tread design looks like a blend of the Pegasus A/T and the old Desert Dogs!!   
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 06, 2014, 10:58:43 PM »
Wonder if they are still paper thin though ?... my biggest gripe with BFG's
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

Cheesemaker

• Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 07, 2014, 09:05:53 AM »
From my understanding, is they carried over the KM2's casing.  I'm not digging the tread design tho. 

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 07, 2014, 10:38:28 AM »
would be cool if its a tougher casing.. i have a bunch of blown out bfg's in my backyard that have sidewalls splits around 4-7" long. most of them just from driving down the road.
Do you need a Hammer?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 07, 2014, 12:12:32 PM »
Def hoping it's tougher.  Pretty sure I am getting cooper stt or st maxx this year
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

megaphoneman

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 677
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 11, 2014, 10:13:20 AM »

would be cool if its a tougher casing.. i have a bunch of blown out bfg's in my backyard that have sidewalls splits around 4-7" long. most of them just from driving down the road.
Im hard pressed to believe its just from driving around? Id like to know release date, what size tire, what they were on? How much sunburn they have? I have been driving on bfgs for over a decade with only one side wall puncture.. I find it hard to believe you have a bunch of blown up bfg tires that weren't caused by human error..

Blaaaahhhhhhhh

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 11, 2014, 05:56:21 PM »
Im hard pressed to believe its just from driving around? Id like to know release date, what size tire, what they were on? How much sunburn they have? I have been driving on bfgs for over a decade with only one side wall puncture.. I find it hard to believe you have a bunch of blown up bfg tires that weren't caused by human error..

Blaaaahhhhhhhh

35's on a f250 with a big block and lots of towing will murder most tires.  Remember, just because you've had good luck doesnt mean others will.  I've seen a brand new BFG MT's sidewall just slice open on rounded off concrete while being backed out of a shop.   They wear good but they are garbage in every other sense.

Here's the last one i killed before i switched to duratracs.

Turning the corner while pulling my trailer with my yota on it.  Maybe 15mph ?  tread seperated and sidewall split down quite far. The tire was maybe a year and a half old.

Do you need a Hammer?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

megaphoneman

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
New Bfg At KO2
« Reply #9 on: Sep 11, 2014, 08:01:15 PM »
How much tire pressure you have in them when they blew!?
That looks like bad tire management... Again i tow.. Wheel hard and have Always ran bfgs and never had a problem except for once with a sidewall puncture.. But it was well deserved. And in all honesty ur tire looks shot from over loading and bad tire pressure.

Blaaaahhhhhhhh

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 11, 2014, 08:31:35 PM »
I have seen major damage and blowouts on many different tires, from el cheapo to michelins, and it's hard to say from a pic if it's mismanagement.  How are the duratracs holding up?
RIP KYOTA

megaphoneman

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 11, 2014, 08:57:02 PM »

I have seen major damage and blowouts on many different tires, from el cheapo to michelins, and it's hard to say from a pic if it's mismanagement.  How are the duratracs holding up?

Tires blow out because they are worn , the belts fall apart, dry rot, over weight or foreign objects..
The belts falling apart are from mismanagement.. Those little numbers on the tire are there for a reason..  If so in so keeps having problems... might not be the tire..

Bfgs are a great tire and i am excited to run the new ATs on my truck..

Blaaaahhhhhhhh

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 11, 2014, 09:38:18 PM »
How do you figure mismanagement ?  Tire pressure was normal. please tell me how my tire with 90% tread looks "shot from
overloading and bad tire pressure"  Before you say anything though i will tell you after the split happend i had to drive another 150 yards on a tire halfway off the rim to get to a safe spot. So do please take that into your armchair web wheeler xray vision analysis.

Duratracs are awesome Nate. We have them on 3 vehicles now and could not be happier.  Will be purchasing a 4th set when i get my 4runner done.  I've put mine on my ford through hell so far getting to fishing/hunting spots ontop of driving to chico every day to work and they are wearing amazing.

BTW BFG's are the only tire i've ever had problems with.  I had a set of boggers that were 13 years old that i ran with no issue. 2psi in the snow and 20 on the street,  They are still being ran today on another vehicle.
Do you need a Hammer?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

megaphoneman

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sep 11, 2014, 11:28:38 PM »
First off what is normal to you??

lets look at the facts... you are running a LT tire, and probably not running at  full tire pressure, on a heavy truck, with a trailer, and truck on the trailer... id be willing to bet you didn't have any where near the recommended tire pressure for that tire, while towing...when that blew out.

Its pretty common people running full size trucks, f250s, excurision, duramaxes, and anything big like that on an E rated tire to tow with..

Your already pushing your tire at full capacity on lower pressure then recommended, which is for that tire i think close to 60PSI....

Im just saying with correct precautions you can eliminate problems like this... BUt hey, its the interwebs..... webweeling is my gig! i have never built a truck ever in my life....

back to topic the new TA's are legit...i will let you know how good they work when i get a set!

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sep 14, 2014, 10:09:52 PM »
Please take a step back, megaphoneman.  You seem to be getting yourself worked up and are guessing at what he's doing or has done. 

And I am not sure of your background in tires so I won't guess at that, but to say staying within specs will ELIMINATE these issues is just false.  It will help, but within any manufacturing process there are potential flaws, which can lead to flaws in products used exactly to specs.  Every tire manufacturer has done recalls due to this fact, the most recent of which I have dealt with was a huge one by michelin.  They ate a ton of tires and lost a lot of customers, but in the end made it right for everybody affected.

So let's get back on course so we don't need to lock the thread:  If you get a chance to see one in person snag a pic and post it.  If anybody runs them, please post your unbiased experience and let us know!
RIP KYOTA

Cheesemaker

• Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sep 14, 2014, 10:13:50 PM »
I've seen just about any tire blow its sidewall out on the littlest thing.  I have been running BFG Mud Terrains that I bought from Kyota right before he died.  He had many hard miles on them, and then I have put some hard miles on them since.  Usually in the winter I will run them down to 20 PSI all around to deal with the crappy ice and snow we get on the coast.  I have never had an issue with them.  They still have about 30% left. 
But their parent company is Michelin, and as Nate can attest, this was Michelin's trick in getting tires to weigh less and get better MPG out of them, is to lighten the casing.

Thanks for playing it cool Nate!!

megaphoneman

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
New Bfg At KO2
« Reply #16 on: Sep 15, 2014, 09:50:11 AM »
Please take a step back, megaphoneman.  You seem to be getting yourself worked up and are guessing at what he's doing or has done. 

And I am not sure of your background in tires so I won't guess at that, but to say staying within specs will ELIMINATE these issues is just false.  It will help, but within any manufacturing process there are potential flaws, which can lead to flaws in products used exactly to specs.  Every tire manufacturer has done recalls due to this fact, the most recent of which I have dealt with was a huge one by michelin.  They ate a ton of tires and lost a lot of customers, but in the end made it right for everybody affected.

So let's get back on course so we don't need to lock the thread:  If you get a chance to see one in person snag a pic and post it.  If anybody runs them, please post your unbiased experience and let us know!
Step taken, I'm not worked up, i just hate it when people bash things or are brand specific about their bashing. Ill personally run anything i can get my hands on for cheap because i am cheap, but what gets me is when people don't take into consideration that the direct effect that their actions or lack of have on said issues at hand..

Im just trying to preach preemptive maintenance.. I think its something far over looked these days.. It take 4 mins to check tire pressure and a whole day to fix a blown out tire....

And these have been run in baja for sometime, cant wait to get my hands on a set.

Blaaaahhhhhhhh

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sep 25, 2014, 07:14:53 AM »
Wow those look cool, I hope they make a few for 15" rims still...
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Oct 08, 2014, 07:26:36 PM »
Wow those look cool, I hope they make a few for 15" rims still...
16" through 20", for now at least.  http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-selector/category/off-road-tires/all-terrain-t-a-ko2/tire-details#techspecs

FWIW, the sidewalls are said to be tougher and the shoulders designed to help protect the sidewalls. Time will tell.
« Last Edit: Oct 08, 2014, 07:37:45 PM by Stocker »
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #19 on: Oct 10, 2014, 07:08:25 PM »
Disappointing! The new BFG is the old A/T with a new side wall lug.  :sleeping: I was hoping for a revamped Krawler with even better traction. Oh well. Maybe Goodyear will come out with a rock specific tread design.
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Oct 12, 2014, 09:41:03 PM »
It is very similar, but the center lug shapes appear to be slightly different and the shoulder lugs are more of a tight U shape than the old lazy S.  Most don't seem to be able to pick up on the changes, but then again, lots of people think the general at2 and bfg at are the same exact tread design, too.
RIP KYOTA

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Oct 14, 2014, 11:56:33 AM »
That tread design has worked for so long I'm kind of glad they didn't change it much. A little more side lug is all they ever really wanted for.  They are ATs after all. They are suposed to be ho-hum. 

Of course I'm still wishing they made old school mud tires with typical tread designs like old-time BFGs, buckshots, etc...

I thought those old tread designs with regular center lugs had better lateral hold than all they funky new stuff.
– Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Oct 14, 2014, 06:15:56 PM »
That tread design has worked for so long I'm kind of glad they didn't change it much. A little more side lug is all they ever really wanted for.  They are ATs after all. They are suposed to be ho-hum. 

Of course I'm still wishing they made old school mud tires with typical tread designs like old-time BFGs, buckshots, etc...

I thought those old tread designs with regular center lugs had better lateral hold than all they funky new stuff.
Agreed... I always felt like their lateral grip was mostly due to the squared-off shoulder VS the rounded shoulders of typical radials.

My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Oct 14, 2014, 09:40:24 PM »
I've spoken with bfg about it.  They fairly bluntly said get over it, no plans of making a traditional style mud tire again.  Cooper/toyo are 2 of the main holdouts.
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Oct 30, 2014, 09:43:14 PM »
And they're in!  We ordered a set of 20s for a guy and I had no idea till they showed up.  I called our distributor and they said they were stocking them in most sizes anticipating high sales.  Spoke with the brass and ordered 12 in lt265/75-16 for stock, and hopefully replacing all 5 on a 14 tacoma soon.  Will try to get pics if we do
RIP KYOTA

knucklebuster

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 271
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Nov 23, 2015, 06:08:18 AM »
After much going back and forth on what to choose (and visiting just about every store in town). I bought a set of these in 33/12.50/15s from costco for just around 800, thats the out the door price since they wouldnt mount them on my 8" rims ::) said i needed 8.5s :smack:.

I'm  coming from worn out toyo mts, but man I like these tires so far. At 58# each and a/t tread it feels like a new truck, but ive only driven em maybe 50 miles on the road so far but i plan on fully testing em in the snow and mud that this next storm should bring!

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Nov 23, 2015, 08:05:16 AM »
Photos?  Better yet, start a long term run and report thread.
– Steve McQueen

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,582
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Nov 23, 2015, 03:42:15 PM »
At 58# each and a/t tread it feels like a new truck, but ive only driven em maybe 50 miles on the road so far but i plan on fully testing em in the snow and mud that this next storm should bring!
If they are anything like the old KO's they should work fine in the Sierra cement.  The old ones flattened out nicely at 10 psi, making for a nice footprint in the snow.  Never had an issue with mud and BFG AT's in the High Lakes area, seemed to clean themselves out enough to get through the muck.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Dingman.

• Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Nov 23, 2015, 05:02:43 PM »
Ive been running mine for about a year now.  Still look near brand new to me, and I like the tires.  Have driven a little around town in snow (last year, not very much snow) and they did fine in 2wd full psi.  Took them offroad a little bit a couple weekends ago, first time airing them down and only went to 12psi.  I had no issues in the mud and snow, and just snow on the main road.  I never locked my hubs in, couple of the trucks i were with were aird down and had to have 4wd to make a couple of the sections uphill in the mud, and they were sliding all over on the snowy roads.

We are supposed to get a bit of snow tomorrow or the next day so ill get to try them out some more.  Lol

knucklebuster

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 271
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Nov 23, 2015, 05:21:31 PM »
I figured i just add to this and keep it all in one place.
I chose an at for better handling and wear, but seeing my buddy go through a few feet of snow in basically a stock rig with the old style ones years ago definitely weighed in on the choice.