Author Topic: 2WD 1981 Sunrader RV L45 to R150 Possible???  (Read 3907 times)

holyghostfire

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
2WD 1981 Sunrader RV L45 to R150 Possible???
« on: Apr 09, 2014, 05:08:29 PM »
It looks like I can get the R151F Bellhousing and 2WD R150 1988 Transmission for around $450 I know I need to move the crossbrace and shorten the Rear Drive Shaft. Which will probably run another $400. I want the strongest Transmission since this Toyota is a 4500 lb Motorhome. The L45 Trans works fine, but sometimes it won't engage into the gear. I figure I can gain 3-4 mpg by getting a fifth gear.

The plan was to get a new clutch, but if I have to pay for all the labor to remove the transmission then might as well get the best. I have no idea how much I will have to move the driveshaft back or forward. Anything else I need to do? What other expense is there that I forgot about?

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: 2WD 1981 Sunrader RV L45 to R150 Possible???
« Reply #1 on: Apr 09, 2014, 06:18:21 PM »
Hello holyghostfire and :welcome: to our forums!! :wave: :turtle:

Wow sounds like a really cool Sunrader ya got over there. 1981 is of course the best year for Toyota pickups world wide as they are the last to have round headlights. And I own an '81 4x4 which validate this statement. :sly:

Nice score on the Turbo Bellhousing. I've seen just the bellhousing alone go for $400. No joke. R-series is definitely the strongest practical option and it will never let your application down.

The first thing that comes to mind is that the V6 2WD transmission uses a 23-spline slip yoke at the driveline. So you've got two options: 1. Find a 23-spline slip yoke from a V6 driveline and take it to your driveline guy with your original 21-spline driveline and have him make a hybrid 23-spline slip yoke 4-cyl driveline at the same time you get its length adjusted. Or, 2) Pickup a stock V6 2WD driveline and have it's length adjusted to your needs and then use our triple drilled differential flange (link) so the V6 driveline will connect to your rear axle. I don't like option 2 because you will disturb the preload on your differential (unless you've previously upgraded it to our solid crush sleeve (link)), and you might run into additional complications because I believe you have a two piece driveline with a carrier bearing and I don't know for sure if a 6cyl carrier will attach to your original 4cyl chassis mount. Option 1 is nice, just make a hybrid line and be done with it.

I think you'll be okay without this, but you might consider our speedometer cable extension (link) so that you don't have to tug and place extra stress on your cable in order to reach back to the longer R-series transmission (but I think the stock cable can be pulled to reach, it just might be nice to not have to pull it away from its original positioning).

Let's see, what else... You might consider our Heavy Duty Shifter Seat (link, you'll need the White version) & Socket (link) as the transmissions you're picking most likely has wasted parts and our H.D. parts make a HUGE improvement in shifting performance (see demonstration video here). Also, make sure the transmission you are picking up includes a shift handle, otherwise you'll have to source one. Your L45 shift handle does have the same diameter pivot ball, however the extension beneath the ball is shorter and is therefore not compatible with the R150. You can lengthen it using 1/2" round bar stock.

You'll need G- W- or R-series bellhousing bolts as your original L45 top bolts are too short and lower bolts are too long.

You'll need a R-series clutch fork because the pivot ball is larger and the L-series fork is not compatible.

The clutch fork boots are the same (link), and the shifter base boots are the same (link, you'll need the round version).

I am not certain on 2WD applications, but on 4WD applications the shift handle of a R-transmission is about 2-inches further away from the dash than compared to your original L-transmission. This is in a way a plus, as you won't have to reach as far to engage 1st or 3rd (and your new 5th), just keep your :crossed: that the 2" offset won't cause any trouble with your interior floor shift boot (for instance it might bind between the body and the shift handle, or if your engine mounts are worn it might inadvertently shift out of gear under heavy acceleration or deceleration).

I'm not sure on this, but I think your L45 uses a 2-wire reverse light plug whereas the R150 uses a 1-wire plug.

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head at the moment. We have plenty of used bellhousing bolts, clutch forks, and reverse light plugs here if needed, (559) 252-7295. If you call, please be patient for custom stuff like this as our guys are slammed taking orders and odd ball requests that are not in our system will cause a hiccup. As for a R150 shift handle, yes I'm sure we have them here, but we must reserve these for our 4WD Short Throw Kits.

Speaking of Short Throw Kits, we do have a few of our old-style spacer-type short throws (see this link) in stock for the 2WD R150 transmission. Definitely give us a call for this because if you need to find a shift handle anyway, then you can kill two birds with on stone AND have a SA-WEEEEET short throw + our H.D. shift seat and sock = the most crisp and efficient shifting performance in your neighborhood (read customer testimonials here).

The plan was to get a new clutch, but if I have to pay for all the labor to remove the transmission then might as well get the best. I have no idea how much I will have to move the driveshaft back or forward. Anything else I need to do? What other expense is there that I forgot about?
You are like the poster child for our Oversized Clutch Upgrade Combo Kit: http://www.marlincrawler.com/clutch/heavy-duty/oversized-clutch-upgrade-combo-kit. This kit comes with everything one needs to upgrade a non-Turbo clutch & flywheel platform to the Turbo setup (this kit is intended for non-R-series setups so you still need the R-series clutch fork mentioned above which is not included in this kit). Also, since it's a Combo Kit, it saves almost $30 off pricing the parts individually. :thumbs:

Once you've become a full member (>11 posts) we'd all love to see some pics of your motorhome. :snapshot: Most Rock Crawler guys I know have a special place in their hearts for 1st and 2nd gen Hilux/Pickup Toyota Motorhomes, even if its not 4WD :thumbs:

Regards,
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

holyghostfire [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Apr '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 09, 2014, 06:56:23 PM »
Wow, I didn't expect such a long reply. You really know your stuff! Do you think for the spline difference my best bet would be to purchase the Total Spline Input Gear or is this something totally different then what I need? http://www.marlincrawler.com/transfer-case/parts-upgrade/total-spline-input-gear

I think the 2" difference won't make a huge difference. The motorhome is not a speed demon. I am getting ready to desmog it which I heard it totally worth it. I appreciate all your help!

holyghostfire [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Apr '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 09, 2014, 07:08:36 PM »
Okay, I finally get it what you were saying about the driveline. I just searched ebay for a used rear V6 Toyota driveline for a 100 dollars. This company should figure out a way to fabricate a bell housing because they are so rare. I am finding R150 transmissions are more common than the older ones on craigslist.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #4 on: Apr 09, 2014, 07:16:12 PM »
Wow, I didn't expect such a long reply. You guys really know your stuff!
Well, this is Marlin Crawler's Community Forum after all :duh: I hope you stick around for a long time. There are a ton of great people here :yesnod:

Do you think for the spline difference my best bet would be to purchase the Total Spline Input Gear or is this something totally different then what I need?
Sorry but this is entirely different, applying to a transfer case which you don't have.

Here is a picture of a 4WD type Toyota driveline, this being our HD driveline (link):

Now with a quick search on Google Images we see the difference with what I'm referring to as a Slip Yoke:

You can see with the 1st image (4WD) that it has two flange faces at either end and it's splined slip section is between these two flanges (and between both u-joints). On the 2nd image (2WD) the splined slip is at the yoke that plugs into the back of your transmission.

So while a 4WD transfer case will have flanges at its front & rear outputs, the 2WD instead has a splined male output shaft -- with no flange -- that the slip yoke of the mating driveline inserts over. The output of your transmission will look something like this:

Your L45 has a 21-spline output shaft and a driveline with a 21-spline slip yoke. The 6cyl version has 23-spline components.

So what you'll need to do is find a 6cyl 2WD driveline and have its front section cut off and welded onto the tube of your current 4cyl driveline. I wouldn't mess with taking apart the u-joint as they probably aren't even compatible. I'd just swap the entire yoke and u-joint end right onto your 4cyl driveline.

So you'll go from this:

21-spline 4cyl yoke -> 4cyl u-joint -> 4cyl driveline tube -> 4cyl u-joint -> 4cyl flange -> 4cyl carrier assembly....

To this:

23-spline 6cyl yoke -> 6cyl u-joint -> 4cyl driveline tube -> 4cyl u-joint -> 4cyl flange -> 4cyl carrier assembly....

I am getting ready to desmog it
I envy you for not living in Commiefornia, yet, I can't give up the 4WD trails we have here. :hammerhead:

Regards,
BigMike

Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki