Author Topic: brand new here 2000 tundra  (Read 4402 times)

tshoe7

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
brand new here 2000 tundra
« on: Jan 17, 2014, 06:07:33 PM »
I am new to this forum but everyone I talked to has directed me here so I hope I'm in the right place. I just bought a 2000 reg cab 2wd tundra with the 3.4 v6 and a manual transmission. the truck has higher miles but no rust and a brand new frame so its a great starting point. The only issue is 4th gear is non existent. I can shift into and out of all other gears fine but when I let the clutch out in fourth, I'm in neutral (i think it has to do with the shift fork) . The reason  I'm here is I would like to convert this truck to a 4x4 and since its a manual tranny I didn't think it would be that hard yet I need a little bit of your wisdom as to what parts I need to get and from what year/models will bolt up. Thank Youngest

toe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -60
  • Male Posts: 1,693
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
Re: brand new here 2000 tundra
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2014, 08:18:51 PM »
 :welcome:
Me

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2243
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2014, 07:00:08 PM »
Hello tshoe7 and :welcome: to :turtle: land!

That is a pretty cool project! Here is the very first Tundra in the world to ever have Dual Cases: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=2398

I've seen the rig a few times on the trail and it has grown up and become even larger than this old pic of it above. The width is great from the Tundra platform, so long as you can fit it through your favorite trail :thumbs:

To convert all you need to do is find a 1995-2004 Tacoma V6 5spd 4WD transmission and t/case. Assuming you are here to turn this beast into a Crawler, then take a look at our 3.4-liter t/case conversion adapter plate which will convert the bolt pattern at the tailhousing of the Tacoma 4WD transmission to accept the bolt pattern of a 1979-1995 4cyl gear drive transfer case, which is what the entire world of Toyota Rock Crawler is founded upon. Then from there you can use a single (or dual, or triple, or quadruple, et cetera) top-shifting gear drive transfer case with our 23-spline Heavy Duty Total-Spline turbo input gear (will be back in stock soon) to complete the conversion for a very reliable setup.

To go duals all you'll need is our MC07 adapter plate, check it out here: http://www.marlincrawler.com/transfer-case/dual-adapters/dual-case-kit-mc07-xd, also as a fully built ready to bolt-in, add gear oil and go setup as shown here, http://www.marlincrawler.com/transfer-case/line-ups/dual-tcases/dual-hilux/dual-case-complete-v6, however currently these are only available via call-in ordering.

Sorry, I have gotten carried away and need to bring something else up (I don't want to delete what I've typed above). The first decision you need to do is determine what side your front axle's third member will be on. Your rig is 2WD now, so you're gonna need to do a Solid Axle Swap (or install a factory Toyota 4WD IFS :yupyup:).

Passenger Side Drop
If you use a front axle that will have the front driveline on the passenger's side, then the links I posted above are what you need: You'll need to run a 23-spline version of the 1979-1995 4cyl Gear Drive Transfer Case. Can be done as a single or dual t/case (or triple, etc). With a single case setup, you have the option to use our 4.70:1 low range gear set which will take you to about a 80:1 to 100:1 Crawl Ratio. Click here for info on the original Crawler Gears: http://www.marlincrawler.com/transfer-case/line-ups/single/4701-xd-gear-kit In a Dual Case setup, you can go from about 100:1 with stock 2.28:1 gears, or about 450:1 with dual-4.70s (if desired). Triple cases can get you down to around a 2,200:1 Crawl Ratio if you really want to be stupid :o :o

Driver Side Drop
If you use a front axle that will have the front driveline on the driver's side, then you'll have to go about it a differently: You'll need to run a 1995-2004 Tacoma 6cyl Chain Drive Transfer Case. This can be done by using a 3.4-liter 4WD 5spd transmission with its stock/original chain drive t/case attached, and you're done. Your final drive ratio will be around 30:1 - 50:1 depending on your axle gearing. If you want to do some actual Rock Crawling, then you will need to splice in a low range reduction unit from the same 1979-95 4cyl t/case, what we call a "Crawl Box", between the Tacoma transmission and transfer case. The result will be Transmission > Marlin Crawler Low Range Unit > Stock Chain Drive T/case. This setup can take you to about a 100:1 with stock gears or about 240:1 if the Crawl Box has our 4.70:1 gears linked above. Take a look here for a lot more info on this: http://www.marlincrawler.com/transfer-case/line-ups/tacobox

There is more to discuss but please reply back and let us know more about your plans :thumbs: What axle you might run and what you plan to use the truck for :driving:

For custom axles I highly recommend USA-made Diamond Axles, http://www.diamondaxle.com/index.htm, or USA-made Ruff Stuff axles, http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/AxleHousings.html. Diamond Axles is the original custom axle, dating back to the turn of this century and are built complete with your knuckle ball ends of choice. Ruff Stuff on the other hand, as far as I know, only builds the housing with bare tubes; You'll have to figure out your own caster and weld on your own ball joints. Because Diamond is one of the original companies who helped define what Toyota Rock Crawling is today, and because they offer complete axles that don't require any modification, I recommend giving them a call first :thumbs:

Looking forward to watching your truck transform into a 4WD Tundra! :beerchug:

Regards,
BigMike
« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2014, 07:06:17 PM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 743
  • Male Posts: 1,170
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2014, 10:17:21 PM »
I'm looking foward to this thread.  I have seen some builds on 4x conversions.  It really made me wish I bought a prerunner first.  I have a 2000 Tacoma 3.4L w/ manual.

The money saved would have gone to an SAS and some kind of Marlin gearing setup.

I had never heard of Marlin, other Toyota vendors, or any forum before buying my truck.
2000 3.4L xtra-cab Tacoma.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

2005 4.0L xtra-cab Tacoma
King Resi C/Os and Total Chaos UCAs
Waiting on Marlin for the RA60 Short throw shifter...Hint Hint
FLOODED...GONE

2012 4.0L xtra-cab 4x4 Tacoma
Automatic...Don't shoot...
 King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

^ Who let Wainiha into the mainland?? :yikes: - Big Mike

tshoe7 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2014, 07:42:11 PM »
Thank you so much for all the info Mike, there is a lot to process there and appreciate you tapping into your knowledge on this for me. I am not going to lie, I planned on this being an everyday practical truck 4x4 swap with the grand end plan being a sweet off road rig after I get a newer nicer daily driver rig (so none of that info was waisted). With that being said, what simple original components will bolt up without changing gearing and all that?

monyman

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 259
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2014, 12:04:57 PM »
 :welcome: from Central CA. :turtle3:
2001 Tacoma double cab SR5: 3.4l V6, Diamond axles, 5.29s, duals, ARBs, PSC hydro, 4 wheel discs, 38.5 TrXus and stuff

tshoe7 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2014, 04:59:08 AM »
So have been doing some searching and I have found all the manual transmission possibilities I can use that bolt directly up to the 3.4v6 whether it be from a 3.0 or 3.4 tacoma, Tundra, 4 runner or t-100 but I am still confused about the front transfer case and drive shafts. I don't know if any from those vehicles bolt right in and if they do what drive shafts and cv shafts do I need? No matter what am I going to have to get custom shafts and cv shafts made? Also thought I would mention the first gen Tundra 2wd and 4wd front suspension looks identical to me but correct me if I'm wrong. I'm also guessing you guys would know where I could get manual locking hubs. Thanks for any replies guys and sorry for all the questions and long post.

tshoe7 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2014, 12:31:44 PM »
Sorry I meant front differential not "front transfer case"

tshoe7 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2014, 06:04:40 PM »
So I just found a manual trans. 4x4 3.4L v6 4 runner on Craigslist being parted out that I might be able to get the full running gear out of for 5 or 6 hundred bucks. Aside from the trans and transfer case is anything else from this running gear useful to my swap?

tshoe7 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2014, 06:52:06 PM »
Bump

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2014, 07:53:05 PM »
Make sure you get the computer and as much of the wiring harness as possible.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

FLOODED...GONE

King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

tshoe7 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 01, 2014, 04:23:56 AM »
See that's just another thing that confuses me
 I have seen a lot of other place say that wiring and electronics don't apply because it's a manual transmission and manual transfercase....anyone else have anything to add on that? Also I am still looking for a definite as to if the front diff from the 4 runner is the same, and what drive shafts/ cv shafts I will need to obtain

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 01, 2014, 11:24:04 AM »
Sorry you're right.  I was thinking motor swap.  Slap in the 4x trans and tcase swap.  The rear driveshaft could be swapped in as well. 

You going IFS or SAS?
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

FLOODED...GONE

King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

tshoe7 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 01, 2014, 02:19:21 PM »
I hope your right That will be awesome if the driveshaft from the four runner was a perfect length drop in. I am going stock ifs for now because it's going to be my daily