Author Topic: Best Way To Prevent Crawler Theft ???  (Read 4758 times)

86moneypit

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -8
  • Male Posts: 807
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Go Big
    • View Profile
Best Way To Prevent Crawler Theft ???
« on: Jan 09, 2014, 11:03:59 AM »
I have a nice 4runner crawler that I built and can’t park it in my garage from time to time when I’m working on other projects.

What have you guys seen or done to prevent theft when parking your rig in the driveway.

Battery cut off, chains, ???

Let me know your thoughts and suggestions as I’m worried with all the reported thefts lately.

Martin
86 Runner 529s locked duals 37s 
96 Runner 5sp. 3.4 32s DD
04.5 Dodge 2500 CTD With Go Fast Stuff On It

Drive it like you stole it

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: Best Way To Prevent Crawler Theft ???
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2014, 11:50:04 AM »
We have a good number of useful threads about this. Most recently, see my reply #16 here: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=95822.msg1068808#msg1068808

Quick search returned these useful threads:
Easy anti theft device: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=19808
Anti Theft kill switch ideas: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33062.0
WHAT DO WE DO: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61977
My truck got stolen....: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6465
Why do thieves like Toyota trucks in SoCal?: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=18951

Search the forum for more.

BigMike

EDIT: I've added the quote from my "reply #16" linked above:

Locking the pedals together is a pretty good idea.

Wainiha, information on kill switches has more or less been kept to a minimum as to limit info from would-be-thieves. It's not rocket science so I'll summarize with few details that there are two main methods: One is to interrupt the circuit of any device that is required for the engine to maintain running, such as disabling your igniter, or coil, or fuel pump, or EFI circuit, or ECU, or air flow meter, or injector resistor(s), et cetera. The second method would be to interrupt the circuit of any device that is required to start your engine, such as leveraging your clutch start cancel feature, or leveraging your Park mode feature (automatics, ie. transmission must be in park or sometimes neutral in order to start), or disabling your starter, or disabling your actual ignition switch, et cetera.

The operating principles of the two methods are as follows: If you disable whatever it is that keeps your engine running, then one could still crank and turn the engine over, it just won't start. I call this a "Noisy Kill Switch". If you disable whatever it is that actually starts your engine, then that's it, the engine simply won't start. I call this a "Silent Kill Switch".

Benefits: The benefit of a Noisy Kill Switch is that you will hear your engine cranking repeatedly at 3am which will alert you to the fact that some douchebag is trying to rip you off. The benefit of a Silent Kill Switch is that you disable the kill device to start the engine, and then once it's started you re-enable the kill switch. That way whenever you park your truck, you aren't reaching all over the place flipping switch(es) all the while wondering who is looking at you ... because you would have already enabled the device before you even left your driveway.

Draw backs: Draw back to the Noisy Kill Switch is that every time you park you'll need to enable the device. Someone might see you enabling it and then they would know where to look. Draw back to the Silent Kill Switch is that because you enable it after the engine is running, if you accidentally stall your engine at a green light, you'll have to scramble to flip your switch to disable it, fire up the engine, then flip it back to re-enable (well, this step is optional but its good to keep the habit of doing so), then proceed to drive forward while a bunch of traffic behind you are honking and upset thinking this is your first day ever driving a stick shift. :ha_ha:

Some tips: I have both types on my vehicles and I only use the Silent one on a day-to-day basis because I like getting out of the vehicle without having to enable anything (I've already enabled it). If I am parking my vehicle for an extended time, like parked for a week while I'm away on vacation, then I'll also enable the Noisy switch. And here is the tip: Have a kill device located outside your cab. The criminal is going to get into your truck and initially sit in your driver's seat to try to start it up, or at least be in the driver's area. Well, if your kill switch is for example mounted above your spare tire, he can do everything he tries, even pop the hood and try to hot wire everything under the sun and he will never get it to start. I'm not a thief but I assume every minute counts and adds a lot to their pressure. If they can't figure it out within 5 mins I bet they will just move on. I could be entirely wrong about this though, but at least it prevents the passer-by type thief who "thinks" he found an easy target in a Safeway parking lot with grandmas loading cat food into cars next to the one he is trying to rip off. I bet they give up real quick if they can't figure it out in a short amount of time.

For carburetors, you can install a manual check valve inline with your fuel line, and with it switched to the off position, the engine will fire up and run, but it will only run long enough until the fuel in the float of the carburetor is consumed at which point it will just run out of fuel and stall (maybe they could get a quarter mile away).

Another cool idea is what many have done including KYOTA and BLACKDOG and that is to weld two chain half-links onto your transmission and transfer case shift handles (or Crawl Box handle if you have duals) in such a manner that you'd shift the transmission rearward into reverse and the transfer case forward into lowrange, and then connect the two links together with a hefty Padlock. Pictures:
BLACKDOG, from reply #17:

KYOTA, from reply #426 (I thought KYOTA had a better image of this but this is the only one I could find, you can see his chain links welded to his first two shifters):

Now if the thief ever managed to get your truck running, he'd be limited to Low Range in reverse -- and even more important is that the truck could not be shifted into neutral to push it away since it'd be physically locked in low range + lowest transmission gear = very hard to move the truck. This wouldn't apply to dual/triple case setups as there would be another lever that could be shifted into neutral, but still a nice feature to have. Maybe some thieves push the victim's car down the block before they start messing with it. Well this would prevent that from happening.

Hope this motives someone to do something to safeguard their truck :beerchug:
BigMike
« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2014, 08:17:16 PM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

86moneypit [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Go Big
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2014, 08:15:51 PM »
Thanks for the links Mike, all these truck getting stolen is getting me worried.

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 2,338
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2014, 09:41:00 PM »
I am pretty fortunate i can pack mine on the side of my house when its not in the garage,
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

dropzone

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 7
  • Member since Feb '07
  • Drive a 1st Gen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2014, 10:34:55 PM »
i do this along with a few other things:

Quote from: dropzone;51774529
I have been considering one of the Grant Removeable Steering wheel systems for a few years.  TrekkerPaul gave me a Grant steering wheel out of truck he parted out so thought it was a good excuse to order one.
Cheapest place I found was from Jegs. Ordered on Friday, got here today(tuesday) awesome service IMO.   About $50 lower than Auto Zone and $90 cheaper than Grant's List price of $215 :eeek:

Install time is probably 20-30 minutes or so.
Put the Grant Removeable steering wheel security thing in today:

Put the key in, a slight turn to the left and pop off the steering wheel:

Put the Red 'can't drive this one' warning in:

I think this will be a great way to help me keep my truck around...

I did something similar to what Big Mike mentioned...copied from my build thread.
So this is an idea I have had to slow down oxygen thieves for awhile.

Won't stop a determined individual but with a couple of my other anti theft deals it will slow them down..
Hard to drive in 2nd gear low range

81 Toyota Trekker 221:1
build thread: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=86346.0

1994 4Runner - Long Term Expedition type Build

RockyRoads

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -11
  • Member since Nov '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2014, 07:11:37 PM »
This is a great thread. I've had someone try to steal mine on a couple different occasions. Putting it in double low makes for some confused thieves!

bunyan84

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2014, 09:36:20 PM »
First of all Love this thread! Another idea it's on a pos military surplus blazer I got its simply a chain welded to the floor or seat bracket and it wraps around the steering wheel with a padlock

86moneypit [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Go Big
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2014, 09:05:04 AM »
After some thought I’m going to do the shifter lock ring idea and add a chain to my axle behind the back wheel that is attached to an anchored ring in my driveway.

Along with my failing cold start injector i will hear someone crank on her for a little bit before she starts as well.

Thanks for all the input and ideas; i will sleep a little easier at night for now.

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2014, 06:54:00 PM »
First of all Love this thread! Another idea it's on a pos military surplus blazer I got its simply a chain welded to the floor or seat bracket and it wraps around the steering wheel with a padlock
Do you know how long it takes to cut a steering with a hack saw or a portable sawzall, 20-30 seconds and a hack saw is quite.

If you contact 12-volt guy he will give you some ideas on anti-theft stuff. He will not post it up on BB's because then the whole will know.

http://www.12voltguy.com/home.php

David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity