Author Topic: 1983 4x4 IFS Truck project, ditch the solid axle!  (Read 33612 times)

R.DesJardin

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 680
  • Male Posts: 489
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • RADesigns Products LLC
No new pics, been buying hardware, mostly from Steinjager since I'm a dealer for them now.
Ok throwing this idea out there, any one ever done hydro assist with IFS?
Basic CAD layout, nothing in stone but something to have laid out to tweak on.
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2013, 06:44:51 AM by R.DesJardin »
R.DesJardin
"If I didn't live in the middle of nowhere!"

2RZ-A340F-Duals-locked FR/RR-IROK's

R.DesJardin [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • RADesigns Products LLC
Still tweaking on the design,
Need to decide on spindle units, thinking maybe unit bearings and Chevy calipers.
Ball joints or in lieu of like spherical bearings with misalignment spacers.
I mocked it up on a model of my frame, but still debating the mentioned. I need the outside parts finalized before I finish the arms so I get the widths right.
And then there is the steering. Thinking of hydraulic assist or full hydro.
R.DesJardin

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
get after it, I wanna see what u have planned, I converted an 86 4wd truck to 2wd with long travel using the stock lower mounts beefed up and new upper frame mounts.  1" uniballs top and bottom with a stock 4wd spindle with lots of gusseting.  I went 2.75 wider on each side and pulled 16" of travel out of it. I have it bumped and strapped for 15" of safe travel so I don't destroy my coilovers and uniballs.  and I moved the axle centerline 1.5" forward to keep the 33's outta the cab.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
get after it, I wanna see what u have planned, I converted an 86 4wd truck to 2wd with long travel using the stock lower mounts beefed up and new upper frame mounts.  1" uniballs top and bottom with a stock 4wd spindle with lots of gusseting.  I went 2.75 wider on each side and pulled 16" of travel out of it. I have it bumped and strapped for 15" of safe travel so I don't destroy my coilovers and uniballs.  and I moved the axle centerline 1.5" forward to keep the 33's outta the cab.

Did you keep the tcase? We kept it for our Tacoma, it does come in handy at times.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=90310.0
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

boggerunner

• Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
nope, strictly a prerunner, I have 2 other crawlers for 4wd fun

toyotech

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 509
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
nope, strictly a prerunner, I have 2 other crawlers for 4wd fun

how did you move it 1.5 forward if you used the stock lca mounts? sorry if i mis read it. i have a LT 1st gen and wish i could move it forward a few inches to clear a bigger tire so i dont hack up my body

boggerunner

• Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
I built the a-arms from scratch and when I mocked them up I moved the outter uniball forward on my jig.  I wasn't about to spend a ton of cash on prebuilt arms when I can build them for a 1/4 of the cost of the total chaos ones

toyotech

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
did you do that to both uca and lca?

boggerunner

• Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
yep

R.DesJardin [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • RADesigns Products LLC
You can only draw so many CAD models before you say "Just Do It!" I always say "If you are going to guess don't take all day" and "Keep moving forward" time to get going on this. I'm the kind of guy to get at it and built a couple prototypes and to keep drawing stuff and still not be sure itf it will work.
So I sent CAD dxf's to get waterjet cut today. Time to start mocking stuff up in steel, I really need to check the geometry out with the CVs and axle shafts and steering knuckles. I've got something different planned for this part of the design. :screwy: Wait for the photos.  :greengrin:
R.DesJardin

Zs Confederate Toy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,146
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I have to say that I have wheeled the piss out of my 87 IFS truck and it does what I want it to do but it just too limited and wears out entirely too quickly. This is why I have a solid axle truck now...
ZACH
87 Rock Rat X
80 SR5 The Shady Lady
Trail Junky

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
I know what you're saying Z I've rebuilt my IFS frontends many times over the years and Toyota's seem to be the best and strongest out there. A custom may and I say may last longer but there's still a bunch of moving parts over a straight axle. I stay away from neoprene since it was actually developed for racing applications and as I have experienced it does not last as log as oem.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

dropzone

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 7
  • Member since Feb '07
  • Drive a 1st Gen
    • View Profile
Can't wait to see the mock up begin...
81 Toyota Trekker 221:1
build thread: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=86346.0

1994 4Runner - Long Term Expedition type Build

R.DesJardin [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • RADesigns Products LLC
I have to say that I have wheeled the piss out of my 87 IFS truck and it does what I want it to do but it just too limited and wears out entirely too quickly. .............................

So what you are saying is a person needs heavier duty CV's, ball joints and steering system?..?..?..? That isn't stuipid expensive!   :wink2:
Also a should add my disclaimer: While I have designed and built some pretty unique and innovative accessories for my Toyota, I in know way am delusional enough to guarantee this setup will work. But I want to try it, that's why I ordered the prototype parts. 
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2014, 07:33:11 AM by R.DesJardin »
R.DesJardin

Zs Confederate Toy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,146
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I know what you're saying Z I've rebuilt my IFS frontends many times over the years and Toyota's seem to be the best and strongest out there. A custom may and I say may last longer but there's still a bunch of moving parts over a straight axle. I stay away from neoprene since it was actually developed for racing applications and as I have experienced it does not last as log as oem.

Yeah, I do ball joints and tie rod ends once a year and I should do CV's once a year but I am still running the original ones. They pop at full steer.

So what you are saying is a person needs heavier duty CV's, ball joints and steering system?..?..?..? That isn't stuipid expensive!   :wink2:
Also a should add my disclaimer: While I have designed and built some pretty unique and inovative accessories for my Toyota, I in know way am delusional enough to guarantee this setup will work. But I want to try it, that's why I ordered the prototype parts. 

It is an interesting concept for sure. I am intrigued to see what you end up with and how it works.
ZACH
87 Rock Rat X
80 SR5 The Shady Lady
Trail Junky

R.DesJardin [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • RADesigns Products LLC
Prototype parts cut for the basic layout, started mocking stuff up a little. Still waiting on some purchased items to roll in and I need to machine a couple key parts. But the point is I am working on it.  :greengrin: Material is 10ga steel as this will be what the most of the assembly will be made from, Yes it will have bracing/gussets! Come on man look at my bumpers nothing weak about that design. Right now I leaning to full hydro for steering using a double rod ram and a slider setup.

« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2014, 09:02:58 AM by R.DesJardin »
R.DesJardin

toyotech

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
gonna be a fun build and even better to have the only IFS Swap

R.DesJardin [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • RADesigns Products LLC
gonna be a fun build and even better to have the only IFS Swap

Yeah, something to keep the mind busy figuring this all out. I ordered more cut parts, and a JD2 bender with 1" sq. tube dies this last week and I hope to make the lower ball joint cups this week at work on our new prototype CNC lathe. Simple parts but they want us to test out the new lathe so why not.
R.DesJardin

R.DesJardin [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • RADesigns Products LLC
Well I picked up more parts from the waterjet supplier and then these came today.
This theory is getting serious fast.
R.DesJardin

twistedtoy92

• Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
Awesome to see some real progress! Keep em coming! :beerchug:
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

boggerunner

• Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
more pics!

R.DesJardin [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • RADesigns Products LLC
more pics!

Well here you go. Mock up, but can't say if this is the final layout.

Trying to get more A arm clearance with some crazy bends..........just trying stuff out.   :crazy:
Its just laying on top of the flat pattern for comparison.

R.DesJardin

lvtoyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 26
  • Member since Mar '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
subscribed, this looks like its going to be challenging. props to you for taking this on
if you want to feel rich, then count the things you have that money cannot buy..

R.DesJardin [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • RADesigns Products LLC
Been building misc parts. Here's pics of a new Tormach 15L SlantPRO CNC lathe making some adapters I need for this. (This part is still top secret)
I'm really needing to make a custom press brake die set for my hyd. press so I can make better bends in my a-arm plates. In the long term I am designing my own small 20ton press brake, I think? I will probably make it just to see if my design works. It will be a bench top type unit since it's just for bending plates with a 18" open width and a 6" throat depth opening.

« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2014, 05:27:30 PM by R.DesJardin »
R.DesJardin

greeny

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 46
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
awesome looking build

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 743
  • Male Posts: 1,170
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
Spill the secret
2000 3.4L xtra-cab Tacoma.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

2005 4.0L xtra-cab Tacoma
King Resi C/Os and Total Chaos UCAs
Waiting on Marlin for the RA60 Short throw shifter...Hint Hint
FLOODED...GONE

2012 4.0L xtra-cab 4x4 Tacoma
Automatic...Don't shoot...
 King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

^ Who let Wainiha into the mainland?? :yikes: - Big Mike

ryantowry_81

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 185
  • Male Posts: 474
  • Member since Dec '12
  • Chief Mischief Officer at High Octane Spirits LLC
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
I cant wait to see this unfold. I was given a free 89 with no suspension interior or motor i really wante4d to build a 4wd prerunner out of and had dillusions of a similar front setup.

have you looked into what CV's and what spindles and unit bearings or toyota spindles and bearings? i had come up with a 930 inner cv with a half ton chevy unit bearing and outer CV with custom length 903 splined shafts with a fabricated spindle that all fit together well with the only a custom machined stub to accept the 930 on the diff side and the fabricated spindle. in theory you could use the chevy splinds too but there is no bling there...... well it all works in my head atleast, i moved and scrapped the truck and the project.

R.DesJardin [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • RADesigns Products LLC
Hmmmmmm........  Chevy axles and unit bearings. Hmmmmm.....since I'll probably never run anything more than 200hp in this truck. I was thinking..........hmmmmmmm???    If you wanted to you could use RCV joints I bet.....

I cant wait to see this unfold. I was given a free 89 with no suspension interior or motor i really wante4d to build a 4wd prerunner out of and had dillusions of a similar front setup.

have you looked into what CV's and what spindles and unit bearings or toyota spindles and bearings? i had come up with a 930 inner cv with a half ton chevy unit bearing and outer CV with custom length 903 splined shafts with a fabricated spindle that all fit together well with the only a custom machined stub to accept the 930 on the diff side and the fabricated spindle. in theory you could use the chevy splinds too but there is no bling there...... well it all works in my head atleast, i moved and scrapped the truck and the project.

R.DesJardin

ryantowry_81

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 185
  • Male Posts: 474
  • Member since Dec '12
  • Chief Mischief Officer at High Octane Spirits LLC
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
Hmmmmmm........  Chevy axles and unit bearings. Hmmmmm.....since I'll probably never run anything more than 200hp in this truck. I was thinking..........hmmmmmmm???    If you wanted to you could use RCV joints I bet.....

yeah you definately could but when i was looking into it i was trying to find a strong cost effective option and the 930 cv's seemed to be more cost effective than RCV's but required a little more leg work. 930 cv's and custom length shafts are common in the sand sports world so there are suppliers out there that can provide them for what i found to be a really cost effective price.

I would not use the stock chevy axle because the inner is not a 930 cv and will not give the same angle as the outer will.  I found most of this info on Race-dezert.com after searching for 4x4 long travel suspensions. if i can find the thread again i will link it here. some one compiled the part descriptions in the thread that would line it out better.
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2014, 08:59:56 AM by ryantowry_81 »

R.DesJardin [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • RADesigns Products LLC
Not building a long travel setup, not a pre-runner, snow wheelin and mountain trails is the goal use. Not saying the same idea couldn't be use with higher end parts. When i did research most feedback is either desert fast or Ultra4 design. I do neither and most of what they build for is a LS* something something. Just trying to get a little more clearance, a little more travel and a better ride all in all. I hope.
R.DesJardin