Author Topic: Twin/Tripple Stick Shifting  (Read 18683 times)

bigyotad

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Twin/Tripple Stick Shifting
« on: Sep 28, 2013, 02:35:42 AM »
Ok so I've searched and searched and asked here and there but i still dont understand how to shift a set of toyota twin or triple sticks with dual cases. Since triple sticks are basically a relocated twin stick im thinking the shift patterns should be the same. From what i understand the stick on the right controls 2wd/4wd, maybe front or forward possition is 2wd, middle is neutral, and rear is 4wd. The left stick should be the crawl box stick so it should control the high and low function of the reduction housing and gears, i would guess the rear position would be high, middle is neutral and front is low. Combine that with dual cases and there should be a J type shift pattern stick that has the same options as the transfer case shifter in my tacoma, with 2wd hi, 4wd hi, neutral and 4wd low in the transfer case. Im hell bent on a set of triple sticks for my truck and i would like to read a faq or owners manual or something explaning exactly how to shift triple sticks with a set of dual cases. If anyone knows a place where i can learn how to do this or understands the pattern please let me know. Im not looking for a handout even a website where i can search and learn would be more than enough. Thanks and lets keep it redneck, shifting gears and drinking beers in toyotas before breakfast is how we do it.

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Re: Twin/Tripple Stick Shifting
« Reply #1 on: Sep 28, 2013, 03:18:34 AM »
I'll try.......

First 1 case 1 stick  (J lever stock setup with 2.28 or 4.7)

Case has 2 rails under the stick

Left rail controls

hi
neutral
low

right rail controls

4wd
2wd

Because of the pivot on the stick,   everything gets reversed.

So when the stick is on the left side, it's linked to the rail on the right side.
When the stick is on the right side, it's linked to the rail on the left side.
And with both locations, if the stick is moving back, it's pushing the rail forward.

Anyway you start with the stick forward and to the left (2wd hi)

Moving the stick rearward, pushes the right rail forward engaging 4wd hi.

Then you move the stick to the right, which makes it engage the left rail.

Push the stick forward 1 notch and you have 4wd neutral.

Push it forward again and you have 4wd low.

This is the J pattern

2wd hi            4wd low
                     neutral
4wd hi --------4wd hi

There's an interlock pin in between the rails, so that's all you can do.

With a twin stick, you have one lever for each rail.
The left stick controls the left rail (lo,neutral,hi)
The right stick controls the right rail (2wd,4wd)
You need to remove the interlock pin to do this.

So now you have 2 sticks

low                          2wd (hi or low)
neutral
high                          4wd (hi or low)

The dual case just has the left rail giving you

low
neutral
high

You have the dual lever in front, then either a J stick or twin sticks behind it.

For a triple lever setup, you have a linkage setup that allows you to move the rear twin sticks forward so that they are next to the dual case lever.

You can have the dual case lever to the left of the rear case levers, in between the rear case levers or to the right of the rear case levers.    It just depends on how you do the linkages to the rear case.

Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

66cobra

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 34
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 2013, 06:50:11 AM »
not my post but that was a good esplination
it's not me, it's you

bigyotad [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 28, 2013, 06:36:10 PM »
Thanks emsvitil that was a very good explanation, and i know now where i was getting stuck because of the reversal of the j stick pattern in terms of shift direction effect on the shift rail. Im more of a visual learner and since i haven't seen it first hand it was difficult to understand untill i read your explanation. Then it was like duh moving the top of the shifter to the right moves the bottom to the left engaging the left shift rail, and moving the top back shifts the botttom end or rail forward. Sorry for the stupid question but thanks buddy that really helped. Its so simple im a little pissed it got past me but thanks.  :beerwhack:

2manytoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 490
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 28, 2013, 06:56:46 PM »
I'm running Davez Triple Shifters. The one on the right is 2 or 4wd. I pull it back for 4wd. The middle one is the front case for my 2.28 gears. Pulling it back is Hi, middle is Neutral and forward is Low. The one on left works the same as middle one but for my 4.7 gears. Interlock pin is removed to allow independent movement of the shift rails.

88 Pickup SAS'd, 3.4 V6, R151F Hybrid, Dual Ultimate, Triple sticks, 35's, 5.29's, HP front, V6 rear, Aussies, 63" Chevs, Anti Wrap Bar, Warn 8274 on Home Built Bumper

4WU linked 86 Xtra Cab build in progress

2manytoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 28, 2013, 06:59:47 PM »
Here's another pic. I cut my trans tunnel open and made a custom cover for better access. Plus I did a 3.4 swap and R151F swap so everything is moved WAY forward.

88 Pickup SAS'd, 3.4 V6, R151F Hybrid, Dual Ultimate, Triple sticks, 35's, 5.29's, HP front, V6 rear, Aussies, 63" Chevs, Anti Wrap Bar, Warn 8274 on Home Built Bumper

bigyotad [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 29, 2013, 10:32:49 AM »
Damn that looks so bad ass, i like how you did that cover it looks really clean. Ok im sold i was leaning toward a set of dave'z anyway. I got a buddy with a rig at dave's right now and it seems like he does really good work I also like that his shop is close to sacramento. Its nice to not have to pay for shipping from fresno or take the six hour round trip to go pick something up.

bigyotad [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 06, 2013, 07:34:25 PM »
ok so im just posting here so i can get my 12 posts so i can post pics on anther topic

Xjdesertfox

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 06, 2013, 09:16:08 PM »
Youre going to end up getting banned if you keep posting BS to get your count up.

porkchop_88

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2013, 07:49:29 AM »
Here's another pic. I cut my trans tunnel open and made a custom cover for better access. Plus I did a 3.4 swap and R151F swap so everything is moved WAY forward.

The dual setup that you are running, what type of transfer cases are they?

TheChewMaster

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 245
  • Member since Feb '12
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Nov 14, 2013, 08:25:43 AM »
What are you talking a out they are toyota gear driven cases

Much respect on the tunnel you made there 2manny

2manytoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 14, 2013, 06:45:49 PM »
I'm running stock 23 spline Toyota cases. Front one (crawl box) has the stock ratio 23 spline gears and the rear is 23 spline 4.7's. I'm lovin it.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #12 on: Nov 14, 2013, 09:34:09 PM »
ok so im just posting here so i can get my 12 posts so i can post pics on anther topic

:eek: really??  how'd that work out for ya??  :eek:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

bigyotad [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2013, 03:03:16 AM »
worked out great man thanks for askin bud :therethere:

TheeMikeB

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Member since Aug '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 16, 2015, 11:43:06 AM »

I have been considering cutting my tunnel open too for exactly the same reason. It's a pain to do any adjustments to the shift linkage, do you have a writeup on your process for this?

2manytoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 31, 2015, 09:43:55 PM »
Sorry, I haven't been on here in a while. Basically I cut it open to where I wanted it with a cutoff wheel on a die grinder. Framed it out with some thin 1/2" angle and welded it in to the floor.

The million little cuts were to bend the angle. I ended up welding that over and grinding it smooth. A shrinker/stretcher would have probably done the same thing.

Once you get the shape you want, lay it on the floor and do a final fit and trim. Then weld it in. I used threaded inserts to secure the cover to the angle but, sheet metal screws should work too.

Having this much room to access the cases is really nice.

calux

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 93
  • Member since Aug '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 03, 2020, 09:46:13 AM »

realize I am reviving a dead and ridiculously ancient thread but you don't still happen to have a picture of your custom cover do you?  I'm running into the exact issue described in this thread and would kill to see another person's solution to this problem (running duals with radesign's triple stick, had to cut the tunnel to get everything to fit and am now searching for ways to patch it all up and still maintain the factory interior plastic), thanks