Author Topic: Fj80 vs mini axle  (Read 30940 times)

Burl

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 271
  • Male Posts: 389
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Wannabe Smokejumper
    • View Profile
Re: Fj80 vs mini axle
« Reply #30 on: Jul 09, 2015, 09:18:05 AM »
I have started doing the hybrid swap.  I got the idea from another member who said they had done relatively the same process some number of years ago.  Mainly I'm doing it just to do it.  I would like to test it in my 1984 FJ60 in a SOA configuartion.  I traded a machinist some .38 special snake shot rounds for the lathe work on the mini truck knuckle balls.

I wanted to get as much slipped into the axle tube as possible instead of the traditional cut n turn method.  I read on a lot of posts about the thickness of the axle tubes when cutting out the knuckle balls and when I got them out of both the mini truck and the fzj80 housings I measured and came up with about 4mm which is much less than what other posts had stated.  It may be that in order to get the pipe cutter to work well I had to clean the axle tubes well enough with the flap discs that it reduced the axle tube thicknesses significantly. 

Anyways, that's why there's a significant groove in the knuckle balls.  I don't think it will be an issue be cause once I get the castor set where I want it I think I'll plug weld the near the ends to really make sure they don't move.

I used a cheap cylinder hone to clean up the inside axle tubes to make fitment a bit easier.  The long side ended up being 2 1/8" longer and the short side ended up being 1 7/8" longer.  for a total of 4" wider than a stock mini truck front housing.  I think with oem mini truck outers 61" will be the wms.  with IFS hubs it can be 64".

That's as far as I have gotten with the hybrid axle.  I need to rebuild the hi pinion differential now so that i can slip a piece of solid stock through the center of it while it's bolted up to the housing and see how centered the knuckle balls are in the axle tubes.  Respectively the long and short side inner axle shafts will need to be custom made longer than oem mini truck stock axles.  Since this will be tested under an FJ60 I'm thinking longfields are required.  The outers and birfields will not change, however I think the 25mm pin upgrade might be prudent.

Also I'm doing this because I have tons of mini truck axle outer parts and mini truck hi steer parts left over from my 854runner.

let me know what you think!

taotaomotna72

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Aug 18, 2015, 03:25:50 AM »
Looks nice keep up the picks. Was wondering if you ever try ed running Ifs manual hubs w/chromoly  30 spline inner axles on an fj/fzj80 axles tying to go manual with my 80.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Burl

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Wannabe Smokejumper
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Aug 24, 2015, 04:31:33 PM »
I have an extra set of the ifs hubs but haven't gotten a definitive answer from anyone using the sky mfg. spacer that allows the use of the ifs hub.  I have plenty of different thicknesses of the traditional sfa wheel spacers and sfa hubs as well.  I'm not opposed to trying the 30 spline stuff but i've also never broken a stock mini truck sfa component or an fj60 front axle component.  I'll likely do the chromoly birfs just to say I did it and go 30 spline but like i said its likely overkill for me.

Burl

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Wannabe Smokejumper
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Oct 29, 2016, 11:44:06 AM »
I went and had the chromoly 30 spline inner axles made.  FYI the shortside is the OEM length for FJ40 axles!  No need for a custom length on one of them.  The longside however is a totally different length than any other toyota length that is available. 

Just some rough measurements with both the knuckle balls slipped into the tubes an its looking like it will be the exact same width as the original fj60 front axle.  So Highsteer components will be way easy.