Author Topic: Looking for some expert r150f advice  (Read 3419 times)

FLARDArunner

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Looking for some expert r150f advice
« on: Sep 26, 2013, 11:19:53 PM »
The PO or some mechanic they hired completely rounded off the fill plug on the tranny. I know I can fill it from the top, but without having the fill plug to gauge the fill level I'm not sure exactly how much to pour in. The FSM says 3+ quarts while the owners manual says 2.3. Its a 95 (12/94) 4runner 3vze 4x4. Anybody know for sure? What's the risk in splitting the difference or just going with higher #? Any suggestions on getting the rounded plug out?

Dingman.

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for some expert r150f advice
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 2013, 11:24:00 PM »
You could tack weld a nut to the stripped out fill plug and get it off that way?  :dunno:

FLARDArunner [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2013, 11:39:22 PM »
Sounds doable. I'm up for tryin it anyway. Thanks. Sometimes you get so frustrated with something you just overlook the obvious.

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 743
  • Male Posts: 1,170
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 27, 2013, 12:10:25 AM »
I'm good at that^.... :gap:
2000 3.4L xtra-cab Tacoma.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

2005 4.0L xtra-cab Tacoma
King Resi C/Os and Total Chaos UCAs
Waiting on Marlin for the RA60 Short throw shifter...Hint Hint
FLOODED...GONE

2012 4.0L xtra-cab 4x4 Tacoma
Automatic...Don't shoot...
 King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

^ Who let Wainiha into the mainland?? :yikes: - Big Mike

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,289
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #4 on: Sep 27, 2013, 10:30:40 AM »
You really should revive this basic functionality of the transmission. Are you going to worry about this every time you want to service it? That's too annoying. Take a look at this recent thread for some advice on how to remove the plug: stuck differential plug.

It's not bad at all if you overfill your transmission by about a quart or so. The only downside would be that it will start puking out the vents or through the shifter itself (puke oil past the shift base boot), and it would add unnecessary pressure to the front and rear seals but I don't see it causing any leaks at the seals unless you go waaaaay overfilled. I know a W56 holds about 3 quarts (from this thread) so the R must hold slightly more. I'd fill through the shifter base and go with the "3+" quarts rating and fill 3 quarts plus half another bottle to be safe. If you are a quart low, or half a quart low, it won't be the end of the world, but just now that some bearings may be a bit starved on oil which will shorten their lifespan. At least winter is right around the corner so the risks of overheating for this year are reduced.

Keep in mind that it's possible they did this for some other reason. They might have accidentally stripped the threads, or they may have over tightened the plug resulting in a small crack at the fill plug flange. I've seen this happen and the result is an eternal seeping leak! So maybe they did that to hide something they don't want you to see. Honestly, stop using SHADE TREE mechanics to work on your precious Toyota truck. People make mistakes but any reputable shop would 1) NEVER use the incorrect socket size, 2) NEVER use an impact gun to tighten a fill (or drain) plug, and 3) would immediately replace the plug with a new one.

:twocents:

BigMike
« Last Edit: Sep 27, 2013, 10:50:11 AM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,289
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #5 on: Sep 27, 2013, 10:54:33 AM »
I know a W56 holds about 3 quarts (from this thread) so the R must hold slightly more.

Reply #134 lists a 1989 R150F as holding 3.2 quarts.

BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

FLARDArunner [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 06, 2013, 11:35:32 PM »
"any reputable shop would 1) NEVER use the incorrect socket size, 2) NEVER use an impact gun to tighten a fill (or drain) plug, and 3) would immediately replace the plug with a new one."

1) Neither would I, 2) Definitely not, 3) Absolutely.

I went with 3.25 quarts MT90. I'll be ordering a new plug before too long (do your low-pro plugs work here?) and welding a piece of flat stock with a hole in it to the head of the plug and getting it loose. There aren't any leaks that I can see. Probably just someone being lazy and with only 3/16" of plug head and a socket with a chamfered inner edge...

I'm still amazed at what I find both shade tree mechanics AND "reputable shops" getting away with. I changed the plugs on this one when I went through the rest of it and was pleased to find that they were the stock NGK's. Then I got to the #3 plug and found cross threaded and only (thankfully) 1/4" into the threads. The back-tap worked great for this and only set me back $40 and a week for shipping. When I triumphantly finished that task I pulled the #5. It was an Autolite that was who knows how old. Other than this I found red RTV in palces it didn't belong, a pulley installed backwards (seriously, the PS belt was 1/4" out of whack), and a missing bolt or two. I don't know how the thing made it the 6 hour drive from where I got it (in partial trade for a little work, thankfully) but my hat's off to Toyota. I didn't get the Yota thing before, but now I do.   :clap2: :bowdown:

A new timing belt, water pump, tensioner/pulley, idler pulley, fan bracket, cam seals, crank seal, rotor cap/button, wires, fan, condenser fan, shocks, springs, fluids, rear wheel bearings/seals/shoes, O2 sensor, cat back exhaust, fuel filter, and MC shifter bushing later...whew, and this thing runs like a champ. All stock parts other than the es3000's and moog rear rear springs/dayco 1 1/4" spacers. A set of 31/10.50 mudders and a fresh alignment topped it all off, and I couldn't be happier. My late model 2500HD 4x4 hasn't moved since I got this thing going. I'm hooked on it for the foreseeable future and I thank you guys for providing a forum with so much info and a company with such great CS. I ordered two of your rear axle service kits after getting my shifter bushing/boots, and when one came with the wrong seal (non abs type) I had the right one within 48 hrs, no questions asked.  :driving:

I took my wife out for some light wheeling and she had a blast. I call it my "ATV w/AC". Despite being mechanically neglected, every bell and whistle on this thing works, the compression checks out, and leakdown test was all good. I'll be in touch when I get ready to take it to the next level!!

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 743
  • Male Posts: 1,170
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 07, 2013, 12:43:24 AM »
Every time I've stripped a plug trying to remove it I got a replacement to reinstall.  Before draining the fluid.

REDLINE MT90 FTW!  GL5 has sulphur and will eat the brass syncros(if moisture gets in).  GL4 doesn't have sulphur.
2000 3.4L xtra-cab Tacoma.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

2005 4.0L xtra-cab Tacoma
King Resi C/Os and Total Chaos UCAs
Waiting on Marlin for the RA60 Short throw shifter...Hint Hint
FLOODED...GONE

2012 4.0L xtra-cab 4x4 Tacoma
Automatic...Don't shoot...
 King resi C/O