Author Topic: 1st gen 4runner vs 2nd gen? I am in the market for one.  (Read 2442 times)

3Jroberts

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4
  • Member since Jul '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Interested in getting back into rock crawling world. Jeep was sold 5 years ago as family grew. Now interested in a 4runner as my quad just is just not cutting it with 2 boys, gear and myself. I am no where near the level most of u r with wrenching but I am not afraid to jump in and get dirty. With that said I am interested in one that is pretty well built to begin with. I am in more of a position to repair replace things here and there than to take on an entire build from stock. I have likes for both 1st and 2nd gens. The rig will not be my DD and I have a tow Rig but being streetable is a plus. Thanks in advance for any input. Tom

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Both are IFS mostly or have been SAS'ed, 1st gen has a removable top and the second has 4 doors which makes for easier exit for kid #2. I'd be happy with either, just stay away from the 3.0 V6.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

3Jroberts [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I like being able to remove the top but 4 doors is nice.  I agree on avoiding the 3.0 I don't know much about them but have read and heard enough to avoid them although u could say the same about my 6.0L Ford Excursion. Tom

Jokeass-Wheelers

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 429
  • Member since Aug '10
  • toyota 4X4
    • View Profile
I honestly love my 1st gen runner! I will never sell it it came factory with a 22re and stock straigt axle! its nice hve the convience of 4 doors on the 2nd gen ones but the removable top in th summer is just amazing easy to build up easyto find parts for both of them either choice would be good but I prefer having my 85 runner
11 Jokeass-wheelers 7
1985 Toyota 4runner 22re 4x4 5:29 38in tsl's
IF IT LOOKS LIKE A PIG SMELLS LIKE A PIG IT MIGHT BE A PIG

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Kids hoping in and out 4 doors would be better, but then you have the issue with all the extra glass and sheet metal, whereas with the 1st gen you can leave the shell at home.

The 3.0 will be fine if it has been maintained and repaired correctly, I have just under 200k on my /90 that I have owned since it was new.  I have had a valve issue twice, but none in the last 9yrs.  IIRC, OOP's has been trouble free with his as well.  With you towing it and not DD'ing it, a 3.0 shouldn't be pause for concern.  There is also the 3rd gen Runner with the 3.4 available as well, and the aren't holding their value as well as the 1st and 2nd gens.

Depending on budget and plans, the '80's-90's Landcruisers and Lexus's may also be worth looking at.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

3Jroberts [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Thank u for input. I have been goin back and forth. I have been looking at 2nd gens because of the doors. Although I have almost pulled the trigger on a couple gen1's that where clean. Been following your input on the other thread regarding what to look for when buying. Gen 3's make sense as well. I have cash in hand just gotta find the right rig. Tom

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
I agree about the 3.0 with care but you are not buying it new and don't know its past, FYI my mechanic friend refuses to work on them.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Yota 44

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 20
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I plan on building a 2nd gen 4runner next .
I'm looking for one that has a 22re in it .
My single cab just isn't doing the job any more

3Jroberts [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I continue to look for a clean 2nd gen as well but keeping options open. Considering a gen 3 or 60/80 series land cruiser as well.