Author Topic: T100 SAS Project  (Read 45166 times)

541mudder

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -22
  • Member since Apr '13
  • rock crawlin, huntin, campin, drinkin...nuf said
    • View Profile
T100 SAS Project
« on: Aug 09, 2013, 12:43:53 PM »
Well I have decided to start my build thread... Still a lot of work ahead of me but that's the fun part. Let me describe what I'm starting with...

Make: Toyota
Model: T100 SR5 Ext. Cab
Engine: 3.4L V6
Lift: 3-4 Inch Suspension
Tires: 33" mud terrains
Wheels: 2-3 Inch Deep well

Now this is my current plan…
SAS my t100 –
Axles: Dana 60’s front and rear (rear has limited slip)
Gears: 5.13 Yukon
Tires: 37x12.5R16.5 Goodyear MT/R (Military)
Wheels: Standard 16.5 rims (Military bead locks eventually)
Springs (Front): Dave’s Off Road Performance (for tires 35+)
Springs (Rear): 5” custom Atlas springs
Total lift (goal): looking at 7” of overall lift
Shackles: Boomerang shackles front and rear
Shocks: 14+ inches of travel (hopefully) Bilstein or Fox
Shock and Spring Mounts: Self built custom mounts
Drive Shafts: Custom built
Steering: Crossover steering (custom)

Here is what I am starting with...

541mudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '13
    • View Profile
Re: T100 SAS Project
« Reply #1 on: Aug 09, 2013, 12:53:25 PM »
First step was the axles... Dana 60's with 4.10 gears. Cleaned them all up and painted them... gonna need to put another coat on them now that I have been working on gears.

541mudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 09, 2013, 01:01:58 PM »
Next step was gears. Used an online site to estimate RPMs with tire size to get an idea of what speeds I would be traveling with the gears I wanted. http://f-body.org/gears/ great site...

I ordered a set of USA gears and tried to put them in but realized that the company had sent the wrong ones so I had to send them back and get the thick gears.

The picture is of my stock gears and the 5.13's I returned... Same thickness. I'll post a pic some time this weekend of what the new ones look like compared to the stock gears.

541mudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 09, 2013, 01:04:44 PM »
Next I got the tires... Traded a set of 33x12.5R15 all terrains with rims for a set of 37x12.5R16.5 goodyear MT/R's with rims... some of the tires are crap but most some of them are good... was a good trade.

Had to see how they looked sittin in front of my 33's...

541mudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 09, 2013, 01:10:27 PM »
Next I ordered springs and painted my rims... I ordered a set of Dave's Off Road Performance (35+ tires) springs... still waiting on them (ordered a month and a half ago).

I ordered a set of 5" custom sprigs from Atlas Suspension. I gotta say its a great company... Not only did they have great customer service they worked with me over the phone and through emails to get the exact spring I needed. They also gave me a sweet deal on them and had them at my door within 10 days!!!! Fast for custom springs.

The rims I sand blasted to remove dirt, oil, crome,etc. and just simply rattle canned them since I will be wheeling them and I don't want to pay through the nose for powder coating...

541mudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '13
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 09, 2013, 01:17:14 PM »
I got my new gears a 2 days ago and have been working on them after work... I started out with .060" on each side of the carrier and .020" on the pinion. The pattern was ok but I had a backlash of 4.5-5 thou... a little bellow the range of 6-10 thou. Pictures 1 and 2 show this pattern... So I moved 5 thou from the gear side to the open side resulting in .065" one the open side and .055" on the gear side. The pattern is better but it opened my backlash to 10 thou., just on the high end of tolerance. I might try and move the carrier inward a few thou by moving shims around this afternoon since I have to take everything apart to put the crush washer on the pinion. I plan on finishing the axles this weekend... pics to follow.

95toyrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -124
  • Male Posts: 705
  • Member since Jun '07
  • Whaaaaaaaaaaa?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 11, 2013, 08:30:39 PM »
im gonna keep an eye on this one! looks good :)
1995 toyota 4runner, sr5, 5" sas, ome 863 coils, extended links, 37" MT/r's, 4.88's
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=51430.0 SOLD

1996 Toyota Tacoma ex-2wd, 2rz, 3link 14"FOAs, dual ultimate cases, chevy rear, 37" MT/r's, 4.88's
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=91724.0 SOLD

2001 Taco Dcab, king coilovers, 4.56 gears, detroit, 33's, SOLD

1999 Taco extracab, 3.4 5 speed, sas'd on one tons, 37" km2's, spooled front, detroit rear, bobbed, tirecarrier, hydro asist, high steer. SOLD

2005 4runner, sway-a-way coilovers, all pro rear 3.5 springs, 285 ko2's on method NVs SOLD

2016 4unner Trail, Icon stage 6, 285/75 Toyo's, full armor

88 4runner SAS, 37's, duals, etc

541mudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '13
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 19, 2013, 07:11:27 AM »
Well I got around to finishing the rear axle completely and I got the gears in the front. I am just waiting on a 2 9/16 socket so I can disassemble by hubs on my front axle.

Rear axle...

When I put the gears in for the final assembly I ended up with a .009" backlash and a nice pattern; represented by the first 3 photos. The last is the difference in thickness between the stock gears and the new ones.

541mudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '13
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 19, 2013, 07:19:44 AM »
Now the front axle. I used the stock shim thicknesses which resulted in .0005 - .001 backlash... :smack: a little tight but a gorgeous pattern. The first 2 photos show this pattern.  I then removed 10 thou from the gear side and put it on the open side. This resulted in a .0085" backlash and the pattern was still good. I also double checked the pattern on my pinion to make sure it had good contact... it did :D

Here are the photos... sorry about the quality took them with my phone

First 2 - pattern with stock shims
3rd - back lash tolerance
4th and 5th - final pattern
6th -  pattern on pinion

luvyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 286
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 19, 2013, 07:50:30 PM »
Looking good man. See you have an Oregon plate might see it on the trail some day.
luvyota

541mudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '13
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 21, 2013, 07:33:36 AM »
Looking good man. See you have an Oregon plate might see it on the trail some day.
It shouldn't be to hard to miss... Always good to meet a fellow Wheeler.

Any way I got my 2 9/16 socket yesterday, so I took apart my hubs... everything came apart easy and looked good. The grease looked like it was new... the previous owner must have just rebuilt them cause the bearings look like they have no wear on them what so ever... SCORE :beerchug:

Here is a photo of the hub disassembled.

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 21, 2013, 12:06:21 PM »
 :eyebrow:
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

541mudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '13
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 26, 2013, 07:21:36 AM »
Well it was my roommates 21st this weekend so I didn't get as much done on my axles as I wanted to. However I did get one hub cleaned up, painted and reassembled. Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures of the individual parts after being painted but I will do that on the other hub.

Here is a picture of the hub cleaned, painted and reassembled. Sorry about the pics... I took them with my phone

spuds015

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 123
  • Male Posts: 216
  • Member since May '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #13 on: Sep 03, 2013, 07:59:17 PM »
:popcorn:
'81 pickup 5vzfe, r150f, 35's, welded 5.29's, f150 rear springs, Rears up front, TG dual adapter w/ 2.28's

541mudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '13
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sep 09, 2013, 07:21:29 AM »
Ok... Now I have been busy helping my roommate with his project and haven't gotten as much done as I would have liked to. However, I did get to do a little clean up on the second hub. I have one more piece to clean up and then reassembly can begin. Does anybody know if I can take the studs that hold on the steering arm off and put them on the passenger side? I want to do cross over steering but I would prefer to just stay with the stock steering arm instead of going custom. I just don't know if they are interchangeable. It looks like it would be a perfect fit on either side.

On that note I got word on Friday afternoon that my front spring have shipped... 2.5 months of waiting and I finally get them. They should be here some time this week.

Here are some photos of the hub parts cleaned and painted.
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2013, 07:37:18 AM by 541mudder »

541mudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '13
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sep 10, 2013, 07:17:18 AM »
Got some more done on my axle last night. Unfortunately I ran out of time to completely reassemble my axle do to work. Luckily I will be back in school in 3 weeks and I will be finishing my axle tonight.

Here are some pics from last night.

541mudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '13
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sep 13, 2013, 08:05:15 AM »
I have been working on the front axle and will finish it this weekend. I have been having issues with moving studs around so I can do cross over steering. 2 studs came out nice and easy and 2 are acting like the sword in the stone :hammer:

On that note I got my front springs yesterday... finally after months of waiting. The second photo is my front spring (right) compared to the rear (left)

541mudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '13
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sep 16, 2013, 07:52:08 AM »
I have finally finished the major work on my axles. The only thing left is the drivers side brake caliper which will be showing up Wednesday. So far this project has been a great learning experience since this is my first time completely rebuilding an axle. I have found that kingpins are a little bit of a pain to do. I had some issues with the first one since I had no idea what I was doing but the second one was cake. Now I am going to make my own crossover steering (High Steer) bracket. I hope to have this done by the end of the week.

Here are some photos of the axles completed (minus one brake caliper). Pics are from my phone.

541mudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '13
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Sep 17, 2013, 09:26:42 AM »
I modeled up my cross over steering bracket yesterday and printed out what the top face would look like. I then cut out holes and did a dry fit with paper to see if my part was accurate... and it was. I might extend it another .5"-1" but we will see. I hope to machine this Thursday.

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -52
  • Male Posts: 2,300
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
    • Right Now Racing and Fabrication
« Reply #19 on: Mar 15, 2014, 04:26:31 PM »
So what happened?
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

541mudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '13
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Mar 17, 2014, 09:51:34 AM »
School happened. I am currently going to college and trying to do an SAS. School sucks most of my money so I have to wait until I go on an internship to work on it again. I hope to be able to complete the project this winter.

541mudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '13
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Oct 17, 2014, 01:51:35 PM »
Alright guys. Looks like I will be doing my swap next month :crossed: . I've got to get through hunting season before I can do any cutting and fabricating.
Some updates:

I have listed my tires and rear axle for sale on Craigslist. I am hoping to sell my rear in order to buy a Chevy 14 bolt and rebuild it. However, If I can't sell it by the time I am ready to do the swap then I will live with the 60. Before I can put the axles under I have to find another rear 60 so I can get the right lug nut pattern... The guy I bought them from said they were a matching pair but he obviously lied.

Now here is the predicament I will be faced with here in the near future. How exactly to build my front spring hangers. I have found three different styles that have been used on T100's. The Photos are posted bellow.

I like the first one the best. However, it is the hardest to build. The other two are really simple but they don't look as good.
What do you guys think is the better choice and why?

Chucho

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -73
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Oct 29, 2014, 10:36:07 PM »
Looking forward to this build. I just pick up a T100 and might want to tackle a project like this.
in the mean time,what will you be doing with your IFS lift? I might be interested if you plan on selling.

ljparton

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Oct 31, 2014, 07:31:02 AM »
How much wider is the front frame width on the T100 than a standard 86-95? Curious as I've always wondered how much more difficult an SAS is on a T100.

541mudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '13
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Nov 02, 2014, 10:40:52 PM »
Looking forward to this build. I just pick up a T100 and might want to tackle a project like this.
in the mean time,what will you be doing with your IFS lift? I might be interested if you plan on selling.

My brother has a 95 T100 and he is going to buy it from me. Sorry Chucho, family first.

How much wider is the front frame width on the T100 than a standard 86-95? Curious as I've always wondered how much more difficult an SAS is on a T100.

I am not sure exactly, but I believe it is quite a bit wider. The Dana 60 perch mounts are exactly the same width as my frame after the taper (34 inches) if I remember correctly.

Chucho

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -73
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Nov 24, 2014, 10:32:18 PM »
My brother has a 95 T100 and he is going to buy it from me. Sorry Chucho, family first.

No problem, I know how it goes as I have 5 brothers...
How far along are you on your build?

541mudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '13
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Nov 25, 2014, 02:54:16 PM »
How far along are you on your build?

That's a tricky question. I have almost everything I need to do the swap. However, the lug nut pattern on my rear 60 doesn't match my front 60. Therefore, I need to purchase another rear 60 that has the right lug nut pattern and rebuild it. Now here is where it gets even more complicated. I have two friends that want a rear Dana 60 and are willing to buy mine from me. This would allow me to get the axle I really want... the 14 bolt. Unfortunately I have to wait until one of them has the money to buy the rear 60 from me so I can get the 14 bolt and rebuild it.

I also need to purchase steel and build my mounts for the front. One of my passed posts was about this issue and what people thought I should do. The rest of the item I need are relatively easy and inexpensive.

I still need to build shackles, bump stops, rear shock mounts, both front and rear drive shafts, and I need to purchase extended brake lines, u-bolt flip kit for the rear, u-bolt kit for front, shocks, etc. If I have enough money I will also need to build the front clip of a role cage because the bumper I have on right now won't fit after I do the swap.

I have decided I would rather do it right the first time and keep pushing my build date further and further back than do the swap several times.

ryantowry_81

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 185
  • Male Posts: 474
  • Member since Dec '12
  • Chief Mischief Officer at High Octane Spirits LLC
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #27 on: Jan 14, 2015, 11:57:33 AM »
any updates? i really hope you got to build this!!!

I just picked up a t-100 and am looking for ideas!

541mudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '13
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jan 14, 2015, 01:32:55 PM »
any updates? i really hope you got to build this!!!

I just picked up a t-100 and am looking for ideas!

I am getting ready to do my build soon. I am waiting for my high steer kit, u-bolts, and u-bolt plates to show up in the mail (I'm hoping that they will show up this week).

Another update -

After much confusion and debate I have decided to stick with the rear Dana 60 I have. I determined that the lug-nut patter was the same for both axles. I accomplished this by using SolidWorks to create a 8x6.5" and 8x170mm bolt patter and printed it off on paper. I then cut the holes out and matched the pattern with the axles. Should have done that on day 1 :smack: I feel pretty dumb for not checking bolt patterns before making assumptions. Since the axles are the right pattern I then checked the rims to find that they are trash... easy fix, I bought another set for $20 a rim and now that problem is solved.

I will post pics of the high steer, u-bolts and u-bolt brackets that are being shipped. The only thing left before the swap can happen is to buy mounting bracket material and start fabricating. I will start by getting the axles under the truck then figuring out steering, brakes, and drive lines. I pan to make my own drive lines to save on cost. Shocks will be the last thing I do since I can drive without them.

ryantowry_81

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 185
  • Male Posts: 474
  • Member since Dec '12
  • Chief Mischief Officer at High Octane Spirits LLC
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #29 on: Jan 14, 2015, 03:05:45 PM »
nice. are you planning on going to gear drive dual cases or just stick with the stock case?

and the more pics the better! i need more motivation to get on mine :beerchug: