Author Topic: Swap 3.0 to 3.4  (Read 5404 times)

89offroad

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Swap 3.0 to 3.4
« on: Jul 12, 2013, 07:18:15 PM »
I was wondering what I am going to have to do to swap a 3.0 with a 3.4L?

Dingman.

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
Re: Swap 3.0 to 3.4
« Reply #1 on: Jul 12, 2013, 10:47:28 PM »
Best bet is to star reading write-ups and build threads.  A good place was yotatech for myself.

First of all, you will need a 3.4l with all the accessories that go with it.  (Complete harness, ecu, all. Ignition components, smog stuff, etc..)

Second you will need to get full wiring diagrams for the vehicle the 3.4l came from as well as your vehicle with the 3.0l. 

Is your rig an automatic or manual transmission?  Is the donor rig an auto or manual?  This will determine how much wiring you have to do.  I have no clue about using an automatic trans behind the 3.4l as i have a manual trans. I however, did use a motor from an automatic tacoma and tricked the ecu to think it is in neutral to work with my 5-speed behind it.

Off the top of my head in no particular order...
:you will need to rotate the fuel line to the passenger side. This is fairly easy and did not require any additional parts.
:i swapped my 3.0l oil pan, pickup tube onto the 3.4l block.
:had to buy parts and drill through the block for a dipstick relocation (some 3.4l motors have a brass plug i believe)
:swapped 3.0l motor mounts onto the 3.4
:i reused the 3.0 radiator, flywheel, clutch kit, and charcoal canister
: i ended up modifying my 3.4l crossover pipe so it drops out on the driver side instead of passenger.
:must solder a certain resistor onto the back of the tachometer so it works.
:i ran a fat wiring cable from the 3.0l fuse box 80amp location to the batter terminal (i believe)
:must study wiring diagrams for hours/days.  I prob had to splice 10-20 wires?  I cannot remember the site i used to download wiring diagrams as it was years ago, but it was best to print all the diagrams out and tape the together to help organize. (I did pay $10 a day to have access to the site, just download all you can for both vehicles on the first day and you are all done)
:i ended up cutting out the braces under the hood and had to hammer a spot for more clearance.  A body lift or shorter motor mounts would work as well.
: i did not hook my a/c up so i cannot comment on how to do that.

I prob missed a bunch of stuff honestly but thats an idea

monyman

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 259
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 12, 2013, 11:00:45 PM »
Last I heard Marlin (personally) had 2 3.4s ready for this swap. You might try contacting him. :bowdown:
2001 Tacoma double cab SR5: 3.4l V6, Diamond axles, 5.29s, duals, ARBs, PSC hydro, 4 wheel discs, 38.5 TrXus and stuff

2manytoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 490
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 13, 2013, 08:09:40 AM »
Dingman gave the best advice, Yotatech has an entire section on 3.4 swaps. I'm almost done with a 22RE to 3.4 swap myself.

The best advice I can add is get an entire RUNNING donor vehicle. It would really suck to finish your swap and find out you have a rod knock or something.  You will need and use a lot of parts and going back and forth to the boneyard is going to get old. It's also best to have everything from the same year/model. I parted out what I didn't need from the donor and it paid for my swap and gave me enough extra money to go dual cases and some other goodies.

If you are not much of a fabrication guy, kits are available that save you a lot of time and headaches but, you will pay dearly for some of it. Off Road Solutions has a lot of conversion kits, individual parts and excellent customer service.
88 Pickup SAS'd, 3.4 V6, R151F Hybrid, Dual Ultimate, Triple sticks, 35's, 5.29's, HP front, V6 rear, Aussies, 63" Chevs, Anti Wrap Bar, Warn 8274 on Home Built Bumper

4WU linked 86 Xtra Cab build in progress

Dingman.

• Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 13, 2013, 10:55:51 AM »
The best advice I can add is get an entire RUNNING donor vehicle. It would really suck to finish your swap and find out you have a rod knock or something.  You will need and use a lot of parts and going back and forth to the boneyard is going to get old. It's also best to have everything from the same year/model.

That would have been nice as well.  A friend and i drove a few hours away and listened to my motor run as well as did a compression test, then pulled everything i needed and headed home.

I would have definitely preferred to get the whole donor but i did not have the money.

89offroad [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 13, 2013, 07:07:02 PM »
Thanks for the info. Will have to start looking for a donor vehicle. Any ideas on were to get aftermarket parts? I was thinking to see if its possible to turbo the 3.4 to have some more power, for mudding. I have an 88 4runner. Will that be good or think I would be better off putting it in a truck?

2manytoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 490
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 13, 2013, 08:11:08 PM »
The 3.4 doesn't really need much. You may like it as is. Super chargers are a popular add on. I would get the swap done and all the bugs worked out first. If you want more power, then decide where to go from there.
88 Pickup SAS'd, 3.4 V6, R151F Hybrid, Dual Ultimate, Triple sticks, 35's, 5.29's, HP front, V6 rear, Aussies, 63" Chevs, Anti Wrap Bar, Warn 8274 on Home Built Bumper

4WU linked 86 Xtra Cab build in progress

Dingman.

• Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 13, 2013, 11:58:26 PM »
X2 i enjoy the 3.4l swap as is

clange

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 39
  • Member since Jun '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 14, 2018, 04:34:43 PM »
Hey, This is a great forum with tons of information. I am looking to do this 3.4 swap from my 3.0 but was hoping for a location to have this done. Not looking to wreck my back further with an install. Does anyone know of a shop in Southern California that does the engine swaps? I know the guy in Oregon does, but there is another $1200 transportation I'd have to pay and then a flight to go pick it up and drive it home. I am looking for something more local.

Dingman.

• Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 14, 2018, 05:57:10 PM »
In case you did not see it.  Liveoak recommended https://www.yotamasters.com/ in corona, CA.  I have zero experience with them so I cannot comment with an opinion, but I would trust Liveoak’s recommendation.

clange

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 39
  • Member since Jun '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 15, 2018, 11:11:11 AM »
Thank you for the info. I called yotamasters and they quit doing it a couple years ago. I'd love to tackle the swap, but my back won't allow it. I'll probably just go with Toyota Swaps Only in Oregon. Yotamasters said they're the most competitive for prices. $1200 transport fee blows, so too does the air ticket up there to pick it up....but the drive back will be nice.

Noah787

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Apr '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 04, 2020, 04:13:14 PM »
Hey! Where in Oregon are you? I’m doing one of these swaps right now in Grants Pass...Are you still trying to get it done? Send me a pm I can help.