A "Good Driver"

Doesn't need a Spotter.
2 (6.1%)
Never uses a Spotter.
1 (3%)
Knows when to use a Spotter.
30 (90.9%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Spotter or no spotter  (Read 13130 times)

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Spotter or no spotter
« on: Jul 05, 2013, 04:09:37 PM »
A debate has arisen in another thread regarding the a "Good Driver" and his use of a Spotter.  Some feel a "Good Driver" doesn't use/need a Spotter, others feel that a "Good Driver" knows when to use a spotter.  Discuss.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

twistedtoy92

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
Re: Spotter or no spotter
« Reply #1 on: Jul 05, 2013, 05:46:19 PM »
I usually dont have one but its alot nicer to have a good spotter with you, and by a good spotter I mean someone who knows your rig as well as you do! :yesnod:
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

TimberlineBryce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 517
  • Male Posts: 538
  • Member since May '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Timberline offroad
« Reply #2 on: Jul 05, 2013, 08:55:07 PM »
I think it depends on your experience level, the more you learn the less you need a spotter... :dunno:
See you at the Timberline!

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 743
  • Male Posts: 1,170
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 06, 2013, 12:54:09 AM »
I am not that good compared to most here I'm sure.

A spotter has to be a good wheeler IMO.  Otherwise he/she can't help you with the correct line. 

I would love to wheel with some here and learn from the driver and the spotter.  How it's done for real.     
2000 3.4L xtra-cab Tacoma.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

2005 4.0L xtra-cab Tacoma
King Resi C/Os and Total Chaos UCAs
Waiting on Marlin for the RA60 Short throw shifter...Hint Hint
FLOODED...GONE

2012 4.0L xtra-cab 4x4 Tacoma
Automatic...Don't shoot...
 King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

^ Who let Wainiha into the mainland?? :yikes: - Big Mike

Cyberman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
    • Build Thread
« Reply #4 on: Jul 06, 2013, 04:14:33 AM »
I remember running a trail with a couple of friends, I was number 3 in line.  I watched which lines they took and decided which one I was going to take and started.  Half way through, I bounced off a rock, and lost my line.  My friend started to "spot" me through a completely different line, and I eventually had to pull winch cable.

There is the difference between a good and bad spotter too.  When you gain some experience behind the wheel, you will tend to need a spotter less.  But there will always be an obstacle that will be best taken with an extra set of eyes.  The spotter needs to know the capabilities of the rig, and how to properly spot.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

'91 Xtra cab 3.0 SAS, 5.29s, single 4.7 transfer, locked f/r, 35s
My Frame-up Rebuild Thread

pumkin toy

• Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Do You Know A Sweeney Bro?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Jul 06, 2013, 05:36:47 AM »
The spotter needs to know the capabilities of the rig, and how to properly spot.

IMO that is the only time a spotter is helpful!

97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

TimberlineBryce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 517
  • Male Posts: 538
  • Member since May '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Timberline offroad
« Reply #6 on: Jul 06, 2013, 08:50:56 AM »
A spotter always has a better view of the trail than the driver. A good driver always defers (listens) to the spotter when one is available.
See you at the Timberline!

twistedtoy92

• Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 06, 2013, 10:52:58 AM »
IMO that is the only time a spotter is helpful!

X10!  :beerchug: I rarely have a spotter but the local trails I run I could damn near do with my eyes closed. Capability of the rig makes it much easier to run without a spotter. If I run my IFS rig through nasty rock patches then Ill have my spotter get out and guide me where needed just because I don't have tube bumpers and only sliders. I try to avoid body damage as much as possible and a good spotter will do just that when running unfamiliar trails  :driving:
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 743
  • Male Posts: 1,170
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 06, 2013, 12:29:17 PM »
I have never had a spotter.  Never even heard the term till I found these forums.

Hawaiian Style:  Jus' jam 'um             Poke 'um           That goes for the gas pedal, and other things too :gap:
2000 3.4L xtra-cab Tacoma.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

2005 4.0L xtra-cab Tacoma
King Resi C/Os and Total Chaos UCAs
Waiting on Marlin for the RA60 Short throw shifter...Hint Hint
FLOODED...GONE

2012 4.0L xtra-cab 4x4 Tacoma
Automatic...Don't shoot...
 King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

^ Who let Wainiha into the mainland?? :yikes: - Big Mike

Cyberman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
    • Build Thread
« Reply #9 on: Jul 06, 2013, 05:55:46 PM »
A spotter always has a better view of the trail than the driver. A good driver always defers (listens) to the spotter when one is available.

You have to be able to trust the spotter though.  I had one last time that for me was over cautious, and also stacked rocks.  I hate rock stacking.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

'91 Xtra cab 3.0 SAS, 5.29s, single 4.7 transfer, locked f/r, 35s
My Frame-up Rebuild Thread

sparkys83yota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 320
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 06, 2013, 06:51:58 PM »
It seems like the longer I wheel the less I need a spotter. But usually the guys I wheel with are also the guys who helped me build my rig.  They do know my rig and its capabilities almost as well as I do. I think a good spotter is a good thing to have. 
83 shorbed pickup. 22 re swap. Dual ultimates, l52hd tranny, 5 " marlin trailflex lift. Yukon 529. Grizzly in rear zip locker front. And a bunch of other stuff....

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #11 on: Jul 07, 2013, 08:07:23 PM »
There is always a place for a good spotter, that said only when asked for and it has to be someone you can absolutely have trusted behind the wheel of your vehicle. Someone that if you needed would be able to guide you while you were completely blind. I mean that seriously, we have a few really good spotters that I trust, some say I am also one of those. :dunno: When I enlist a spotter I look directly at him and not where he's sending me, in fact if he drove me over the edge of a cliff I wouldn't know it. I fix my gaze on him and have to trust his directions completely, if I don't trust him/her then I'd never had asked in the 1st place.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

pumkin toy

• Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Do You Know A Sweeney Bro?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #12 on: Jul 08, 2013, 10:53:24 PM »
There is always a place for a good spotter, that said only when asked for and it has to be someone you can absolutely have trusted behind the wheel of your vehicle. Someone that if you needed would be able to guide you while you were completely blind. I mean that seriously, we have a few really good spotters that I trust, some say I am also one of those. :dunno: When I enlist a spotter I look directly at him and not where he's sending me, in fact if he drove me over the edge of a cliff I wouldn't know it. I fix my gaze on him and have to trust his directions completely, if I don't trust him/her then I'd never had asked in the 1st place.

agree 100%!
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

sparkys83yota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 320
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 09, 2013, 05:36:56 AM »

Thats a good point. I remember my spotter telling me once to stop looking at the line and pay attention only to him. That particular person has never put kmein a bad place.

83 shorbed pickup. 22 re swap. Dual ultimates, l52hd tranny, 5 " marlin trailflex lift. Yukon 529. Grizzly in rear zip locker front. And a bunch of other stuff....

ajordan1975

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 1,004
  • Member since Jun '07
  • i think i'm cool
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 09, 2013, 06:40:10 AM »
I'm in the same boat as most here. I don't need one a lot of the time, but when I do it's usually one of three guys that I really trust.
1990 4Runner, SAS, 22re, 5spd, Dual stock cases, Locked f/b, interior cage

H8PVMNT

• Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 09, 2013, 08:22:22 AM »
In competition spotters are nice... We put on a small rock crawl "4x4 Trials" once a year and you can sure see the difference between a good a bad spotter there.  Everyone fights over the best/most experienced spotters.  The spotter really needs to know the vehicle too, we had this one guy show up with a bronco buggy with rear steer and everyone thought he would wax, but he never placed that well untill the third year he came when he finally had a spotter who could deal with the rear steer and actually make it play.

Most of the time on the trail I don't use a spotter unless it gets really nasty, then only someone I really trust or I would rather just get out and look myself.

There is also the "too many spotters" situation. I think we've all experienced that at one tim eor another.  :)
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

madhunt

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 52
  • Male Posts: 490
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 10, 2013, 11:50:41 AM »
a good spotter will only get out of the truck when needed most spotting can be done from passenger side aslong as the spotter has wheeled as a driver himself, I have had good and bad spotters, a good driver usually make a good spotter.
HIGH AND TIGHT OFFROAD

Moose404

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 37
  • Member since Aug '13
  • 75.73:1 and Dropping!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #17 on: Aug 12, 2013, 08:58:52 PM »
my aunt blew out her front R&P in little sleuce at MCR last year but didnt wanna go back so i spotted her ass all the way through and up cadillac in 2WD does that count as good spotting? :p