Author Topic: clean my bbq  (Read 1548 times)

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
clean my bbq
« on: Jun 28, 2013, 09:30:32 PM »
now that it is summertime, we are bbqing a lot... well my grill is nasty....... what is the best way to clean it? I don't have a steam or pressure washer, I don't want to use something that is nasty to the food or will leave some chemical residue.
I have a duo grill that is propane and charcoal, it is black, and is metal..... it is a char-griller
the grates are porcelain

:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 743
  • Male Posts: 1,170
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
Re: clean my bbq
« Reply #1 on: Jun 28, 2013, 09:50:31 PM »
I'd heat it up real good and hit the grill with a wire brush.  How dirty we talking here?  Black mold or just burnt food?

Where is our resident expert Shamb?   
2000 3.4L xtra-cab Tacoma.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

2005 4.0L xtra-cab Tacoma
King Resi C/Os and Total Chaos UCAs
Waiting on Marlin for the RA60 Short throw shifter...Hint Hint
FLOODED...GONE

2012 4.0L xtra-cab 4x4 Tacoma
Automatic...Don't shoot...
 King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

^ Who let Wainiha into the mainland?? :yikes: - Big Mike

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 28, 2013, 10:25:59 PM »
well it isn't moldy, but I am unsure if that is a euphemism for just being really gross

it's nasty, has lot of thick, crusty grime on it, like 1/4" thick in some places, I really shouldn't have let it get that bad, but my wife let my brother in law use it while I was deployed, and he is a pig...... and I have just been lazy as well since coming home from kuwait

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 743
  • Male Posts: 1,170
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 28, 2013, 11:12:10 PM »
I find that with gas grills people do not preheat enough.  A thermometer on the lid/hood is useless as far as I'm concerned.  The temp on those gauges show air temp not the metal grill temp.  I like to see that thermometer at least 600 degrees or go "full circle".

I would super heat it and then brush it.  It you get it hot enough the old food crude should turn ash white. 

I always give a quick brush after each grilling session.  When I use it again, I super heat for the proper grilling temp,  but also to clean.   It makes more sense to me to do a fast clean after cooking.  Then the next day, you preheat and clean.  That way you really burn off the gunk and get the metal good and hot. This kills two birds, and hopefully makes you feel better about running it wide open for 40 minutes before dropping that steak. 

Torch that thing!

And we are talking grilling not true BBQ.  I'd still heat to clean, but most gas grills can't go low enough for true BBQ.

Shamb?  Bueller?

I'm into some Evan Williams....Is that as clear as mud?

2000 3.4L xtra-cab Tacoma.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

2005 4.0L xtra-cab Tacoma
King Resi C/Os and Total Chaos UCAs
Waiting on Marlin for the RA60 Short throw shifter...Hint Hint
FLOODED...GONE

2012 4.0L xtra-cab 4x4 Tacoma
Automatic...Don't shoot...
 King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

^ Who let Wainiha into the mainland?? :yikes: - Big Mike

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 29, 2013, 07:44:22 AM »
There are a couple things you can do.  One is get a food grade degreaser.  And spray it all down and let it sit and then hose off, and use some brass brushes to scrape off the gunk.  The other is also Oven Cleaner, they make one for the BBQ. 

The only thing about ceramic coated grills, is high heat breaks down the metal inside, and they tend to start rusting out.  I love my grill with the cast iron grates.  Toss them in a self cleaning oven once every couple years, and reseason. 

We need some pictures of how gross.  Mine gets a buildup on the lid, and under the briquet tray, but a good putty knife scrapes that all off. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 29, 2013, 08:19:38 PM »
Yea use a putty knife and scrap off all the thick stuff then get it as hot as you can, let most of it burn off and hit it with a wire brush. You don't want to clean it until it's "shiny and new" you worked hard to build up that residue which is what you want to ensure it doesn't rust.

It's called "seasoning"

Sometimes one or two of my BBQ's will sit for a year or so.. and it smells horrible but once you heat it up and scrap the inside it's good to go.. no need to get it really clean.
R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 29, 2013, 08:24:02 PM »
I once by accident left a bbq on, both burners, on high, for 3 days, it was very very clean after that
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 01, 2013, 10:56:51 PM »
mine is past seasoned.... tis just nasty at this point..... i'm not in a huge hurry to clean it though, have a lot of other stuff I am working on before that

~ John F. Kennedy ~

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 02, 2013, 08:13:58 PM »
Who cleans their bbq?
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!